PDA

View Full Version : One Roster Spot Left...

86WARD
02-18-2012, 09:49 AM
You are Steelers GM.

You're team is set in stone except for one roster spot. Neither of these two players would start on the roster you currently have (set in stone.) It doesn't matter at this point who is at WR or RB...you're in "good" shape...trust yourself...you're the Steelers GM. This last spot is a luxury spot.

Do you take Rashard Mendenhall and his injury which may not let him see the field in 2012 and off the field "issues?"

or

An aging Hines Ward with little left in the tank?

ShutDown24
02-18-2012, 09:52 AM
I love what Hines has done for the franchise. But this is a no-brainer. An upper tier running back, even if starting the year on the PUP list, brings much more value to this team than Ward.

Count Steeler
02-18-2012, 09:54 AM
I pick Ward. Might also depend on cap hits. However, I would IR Mendy and let Ward have 1 year as a retirement tour, and 1 more chance at the SB.

The Duke
02-18-2012, 09:57 AM
If they are in that situation then they have handled it pretty badly

Mendy should be on the PUP first day of training camp. Revisit the idea of getting him on the roster by week 6

Steeltreal
02-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Save Dollars if the starters are "set". Keeping Ward

polamalubeast
02-18-2012, 11:59 AM
I take the one who costs the lowest price

We must keep Wallace!

Chidi29
02-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Mendenhall and it's pretty clear cut. Even if Ward comes back, it's unlikely he'll see much playing time. Whenever Mendenhall returns, he'd get playing time (even if he isn't starting in this hypothetical scenario).

Iron Steeler
02-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Ward is my fav player on the roster has been for years. But I say mendenhall. I personally don't like mendy on the team do to his one field dancing and off field tweets. But... if we keep him maybe there is trade value. Maybe.... doubt it bit maybe...

polamalubeast
02-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Right now, I would cut his two players.

How much money would the steelers more if they would do this move?

Steeltreal
02-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Steelers like their running backs cheap

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2012, 01:48 PM
I pick Ward. ... let Ward have 1 year as a retirement tour, and 1 more chance at the SB.

Wasnt last year the retirement tour, filled with screen passes and quick slants to get 1000 receptions??? This guy is gonna get more retirement tours than Kareem-Abdul Jabbar.

Godfather
02-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Running backs are expendable, Mendy isn't healthy, and Hines is an icon. I'd keep Hines.

Steeldude
02-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Whichever saves the most money. Mendenhall can be placed in IR

BigNastyDefense
02-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Here is what I would do:

Hines Ward would be on the roster. Mendy would start the season on the PUP list, which doesn't take up a roster spot. If in six weeks he can play, I take a second look at the roster and how guys have performed. If I feel someone hasn't performed well enough to keep on the roster over Mendy, then I cut him and add Mendy to the roster. And I am sure that by this time, a roster spot will have come open. Either someone goes on IR, or someone just isn't doing well and gets cut.

If Mendy isn't ready to play by then, I stick him on IR. This way he never takes up a roster spot.

ALLD
02-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Neither can run anymore, but Ward can still get on the field.

suitanim
02-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Mendenhall.............................can't run anymore?

Where did THAT come from?

Iron Steeler
02-20-2012, 07:19 AM

He s not so great at running but boy that kid can dance!

Especially behind the line of scrimmage

suitanim
02-20-2012, 08:15 AM
I pretty much completely disagree with that. The guy had a long run of 68 yards, averaged 4.1 a carry, and would have probably had about 1200 yards running if he wasn't injured (he was down by about 100 carries from last year). Redman runs with a different style, and had the advantage of coming in with fresh legs, and his stats weren't all that much better for someone who, presumably "can run".

I don't begrudge any RB who plays behind the worst OL in the NFL in their attempts to find room to run where there isn't.

Count Steeler
02-20-2012, 01:03 PM

Have to see how he recovers with his knee. Colbert said he won't be ready for the start of next season. That's at least 10 months they are looking at, which is not too promising.

Iron Steeler
02-20-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't begrudge any RB who plays behind the worst OL in the NFL in their attempts to find room to run where there isn't.

I agree the oline sux. And that being said we need a back who will make quick aggressive decision. Which mendenhall doesn't and redman does. The steelers for the most part run a man blocking scheme with pulling guards and traps. Which means the pylay is designed to go certain gap. With a patch job o line we have. The running back can't afford time dancing looking for the best hole.

Also mendenhalls goal line/ short yardage performance was awful. Ya u can blame it on the o line but why is it one guy can get through on short yardage situations and the other can't?

suitanim
02-20-2012, 03:59 PM
I agree the oline sux. And that being said we need a back who will make quick aggressive decision. Which mendenhall doesn't and redman does. The steelers for the most part run a man blocking scheme with pulling guards and traps. Which means the pylay is designed to go certain gap. With a patch job o line we have. The running back can't afford time dancing looking for the best hole.

Also mendenhalls goal line/ short yardage performance was awful. Ya u can blame it on the o line but why is it one guy can get through on short yardage situations and the other can't?

So why did Tomlin (NOT Arians...NOT HIS call) keep Mendy in there on short and goal plays?

Maybe Rooney should have fired Tomlin?

SteelGhost
02-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Release both to save some cap for Wallace ? :noidea:

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2012, 04:48 PM
You are Steelers GM.

You're team is set in stone except for one roster spot. Neither of these two players would start on the roster you currently have (set in stone.) It doesn't matter at this point who is at WR or RB...you're in "good" shape...trust yourself...you're the Steelers GM. This last spot is a luxury spot.

Do you take Rashard Mendenhall and his injury which may not let him see the field in 2012 and off the field "issues?"

or

An aging Hines Ward with little left in the tank?

An aging Hines Ward with little left in the tank...and HIS off the field issues...don't forget that he got popped for a DUI Last off season.

I think Mendy adds more value over the long term. And if anything, if he does come back say week 6, after being on the PUP list, and has a good remainder of the season and is seen to be strong and doing well, then his trade value also increases. We get 2/3 a season from a very good back and have his value for trade go up.

Or...we Keep Ward, who would be at best a #3 on any other team in the league.

Its a Business, and the smart money move is to keep Mendy.

Psycho Ward 86
02-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Mendenhall, not even a decision. And that's coming from a guy who's favorite player is Hines Ward.

Iron Steeler
02-21-2012, 11:42 AM
So why did Tomlin (NOT Arians...NOT HIS call) keep Mendy in there on short and goal plays?

Maybe Rooney should have fired Tomlin?I

Maybe tomlin and rooneys hired Todd haley because the correct decisions weren't being made

suitanim
02-21-2012, 11:45 AM
I

Maybe tomlin and rooneys hired Todd haley because the correct decisions weren't being made

That doesn't answer my question. If Mendenhall sucks so bad, why did Tomlin have him on the field so much, including in short and goalline situations? It's not the OC's place to make personal decisions, it's the HC's call.

Aussie_steeler
02-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Mendy without a hesitation.

steelreserve
02-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Mendenhall and it's not even close. There's plenty of potential for him to come back and give us several more solid years, even if he doesn't produce immediately. Ward has the potential to give us one more average season and that's it.

Having said that, the smart thing to do would be keeping Mendenhall on PUP and then IR if he's not ready.

Psycho Ward 86
02-21-2012, 04:55 PM
lol i dont get it Why in the hell would someone want to keep hines ward over Mendenhall? Ward will be 36 years old in a few weeks, has rapidly accumulated an injury history on the backend of his career, is just not productive anymore, and we DO NOT OWE HIM ANYTHING. Cutting him doesnt have to be a classless act, and its probably not going to be. Plus we have plenty of young, PROVEN talent that we can throw to beyond Ward (Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Miller, etc.). Mendenhall is 24, there are a ton of RB's that bloom into their prime out into their mid to late 20's. He came into the league as a baby and still managed to show his fair share of solid running despite a shaky O-line. Kirwan or Bucky Brooks had a good article about the effects of ACL tears on RB's a couple weeks ago and the stats showed that the ACL tears really only meant death to the careers of the old running backs. Behind Mendenhall, Redman just might be our last hope. We can spend allll day gushing about the potential of the rest of our runningbacks, but at the end of the day, a large portion of this board has decided to crown them all as legitimate NFL runningbacks literally because of ONE PLAY (John Clay: He trucked a guy on his 1st career carry that became his 1st career TD from 10 yards out against the worst running defense in the league...Johnathan Dwyer: 100+ rush yards including a 75 yard run against the 24th ranked run defense of the titans...Baron Batch: blocked James Harrison decently on a drill once to earn a hug from Arians). Behind Redman, not exactly a group of guys id be comfortable with running the ball. Yeah yeah, it's a passing league, but if we want Ben to go through entire seasons thriving as opposed to surviving, we need to run efficiently to keep him upright. What else is Ward going to do for us? Coach the receivers and "be a leader?" I think he's gotten through to the team, the Young Money crew hasnt been an immature bunch and been a productive trio. Ward's job is pretty much done. Mendenhall? He still has a good chance to produce for us for half a dozen years.