PDA

View Full Version : Franchise tag targets: Steelers

polamalubeast
02-17-2012, 01:34 PM
PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Like the Ravens, the Steelers have a history of frequently using the tag. Pittsburgh has done so for the past three seasons, tagging offensive tackle Max Starks in 2009, kicker Jeff Reed in 2010 and linebacker LaMarr Woodley in 2011. Starks and Woodley never played under the tag, reaching multi-year deals with the Steelers before the season began.

The Steelers face the toughest decision in the division in regards to the franchise tag this year.

Top candidate: Mike Wallace, wide receiver. The Steelers have to decide whether to place a first-round tender on Wallace, who is a restricted free agent, or put the franchise tag on him. If the Steelers choose to offer him a first-round tender, the Steelers would pay Wallace $2.7 million for this season, but it leaves the team vulnerable.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/42538/franchise-tag-targets-steelers

Chidi29
02-17-2012, 01:37 PM
No one. We don't have the money to do so.

7willBheaven
02-17-2012, 01:48 PM
No one. We don't have the money to do so.

Based on the info/etc thats out there, I would have to agree.

ALLD
02-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Why are the Ravens mentioned in this article?

BigNastyDefense
02-17-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't even read the AFC North Blog anymore. He was the Ravens beat writer for the Baltimore Sun, and he always seems to have a negative slant towards the Steelers.

As for the Steelers being up against and/or over the salary cap, they always seemed to be in that position before the lockout and everything has worked out just fine.

Guys will restructure their contracts to get under the salary cap. Not to mention I am expecting Kemoeatu to be cut; Aaron Smith to retire or be cut; Willie Colon to be cut; between Batch, Leftwich, and Dixon two of them will be cut; Larry Foote might get cut.

Starting CB is not a need. Gay played well last season for the most part, about what's expected of a second corner. Not to mention guys like Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown, and Keenan Lewis will all challenge him for playing time. Gay will be kept as a RFA and start or compete for a starting spot next season among those listed and anyone drafted or signed as a UDFA.

The Steelers will get under the cap and be able to keep their own guys and sign their draft picks. Omar Khan is the man when it comes to this.

Will we have enough to be able to afford to franchise Wallace? Nobody knows. I don't think we will need to franchise him in the end, but if it's determined that they need to, they'll find the room. The Steelers don't have to be under the cap until sometime in August I think anyhow, it's not like we have to be under it tomorrow.

7willBheaven
02-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't even read the AFC North Blog anymore. He was the Ravens beat writer for the Baltimore Sun, and he always seems to have a negative slant towards the Steelers.

As for the Steelers being up against and/or over the salary cap, they always seemed to be in that position before the lockout and everything has worked out just fine.

Guys will restructure their contracts to get under the salary cap. Not to mention I am expecting Kemoeatu to be cut; Aaron Smith to retire or be cut; Willie Colon to be cut; between Batch, Leftwich, and Dixon two of them will be cut; Larry Foote might get cut.

Starting CB is not a need. Gay played well last season for the most part, about what's expected of a second corner. Not to mention guys like Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown, and Keenan Lewis will all challenge him for playing time. Gay will be kept as a RFA and start or compete for a starting spot next season among those listed and anyone drafted or signed as a UDFA.

The Steelers will get under the cap and be able to keep their own guys and sign their draft picks. Omar Khan is the man when it comes to this.

Will we have enough to be able to afford to franchise Wallace? Nobody knows. I don't think we will need to franchise him in the end, but if it's determined that they need to, they'll find the room. The Steelers don't have to be under the cap until sometime in August I think anyhow, it's not like we have to be under it tomorrow.

Just an FYI Gay is not an RFA, he's a regular FA.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Just an FYI Gay is not an RFA, he's a regular FA.

Yeah, I think somebody is gonna outbid us for him. No big deal.

7willBheaven
02-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I think somebody is gonna outbid us for him. No big deal.

Of course...they may have to offer him 10 mil a yr to keep him, hahahah

Bluecoat96
02-17-2012, 07:12 PM

I'd be surprised if Colon was cut. He doesn't save us much of anything......only 900 thousand or so.