PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Hall of Famer Gary Carter dies of brain cancer

86WARD
02-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Gary Carter dies brain cancer Hall of Fame (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-06-30/Gary-Carter-dies-brain-cancer-hall-of-fame/53122190/1)

Even as the world watched the Grade 4 brain cancer wither his body, Gary Carter was still, and is always, Kid. It is a testament to Carter's passion for the game, and for life, that the nickname that at times was applied derisively by crusty veterans ended up on his Hall of Fame plaque.

Gary Carter played 10-plus seasons with the Expos before being traded to the Mets, and retired in 1992.

With his boyish enthusiasm, wide smile and constant hustle, Carter forged a 19-year career that included a memorable five-season stretch with the New York Mets. He died Thursday in Florida at 57, less than a year after being diagnosed with the disease.

"I am deeply saddened to tell you all that my precious dad went to be with Jesus today at 4:10 p.m.," Carter's daughter Kimmy Bloemers wrote on the family website. "This is the most difficult thing I have ever had to write in my entire life but I wanted you all to know."

" 'The Kid' was an 11-time All-Star and a durable, consistent slugger for the Montreal Expos and the New York Mets, and he ranks among the most beloved players in the history of both of those franchises," Commissioner Bud Selg said in a statement. "Like all baseball fans, I will always remember his leadership for the '86 Mets and his pivotal role in one of the greatest World Series ever played."

fansince'76
02-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I read about this earlier today. Very sad. RIP, Gary. :rip:

Devilsdancefloor
02-16-2012, 08:59 PM
WOW RIP