PDA

View Full Version : Steelers GM Kevin Colbert Confirms Marcus Gilbert Will Likely Move To LT

polamalubeast
02-16-2012, 07:21 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/steelers-gm-kevin-colbert-confirms-marcus-gilbert-will-likely-move-to-left-tackle/

fansince'76
02-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Hope his "motivation issues" are behind him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2012, 07:59 PM
I hope he can stay healthy and gets a good offseason of strength training.

I was worried that he wasnt gonna pan out at LT, but think he has the athleticism. Hope he can be the guy there for the next 10 years.

Count Steeler
02-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Pouncey will make sure that they are.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Pouncey will make sure that they are. How, by tweeting about it?? I have more confidence in Kugler motivating that a guy on the inactive list tweeting right after a loss.

Count Steeler
02-17-2012, 05:16 AM
How, by tweeting about it?? I have more confidence in Kugler motivating that a guy on the inactive list tweeting right after a loss.

If I recall correctly, Gilbert did not have a good start at TC and in the preseason. It was reported that Pouncey, who had campaigned for the Steelers to draft Gilbert, took Gilbert aside and had a talk with him. Gilbert started to perform much better after that encounter.

zulater
02-17-2012, 05:21 AM
How, by tweeting about it?? I have more confidence in Kugler motivating that a guy on the inactive list tweeting right after a loss.

I don't know why people make such a big deal of Pouncey tweeting after a loss? I don't see it meaning he doesn't try hard enough, or care?

zulater
02-17-2012, 05:24 AM
No shock on Gilbert moving over to left tackle. I just hope he understands what it means and goes about the task of preparing himself for it correctly. I also hope the Steelers resign Max Starks as a safety net for both tackle positions. I don't really think there's going to be a huge market for Max. If the Steelers are moving on from him what does that say to the rest of the league? Anyway assuming I'm right about Max, I think he'd be a good guy to have on the roster just in case.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2012, 07:19 AM
I don't know why people make such a big deal of Pouncey tweeting after a loss? I don't see it meaning he doesn't try hard enough, or care?

Tweeting to promote a rapper, shortly after your teamates lose a playoff game, while you are on the sidelines ........doesnt really sound like the actions of a leader that is gonna inspire or demand performance from a fellow teamate.

I also hope the Steelers resign Max Starks as a safety net for both tackle positions. I don't really think there's going to be a huge market for Max. If the Steelers are moving on from him what does that say to the rest of the league? Anyway assuming I'm right about Max, I think he'd be a good guy to have on the roster just in case.
Didnt Starks suffer an ACL injury in the playoff game? That would mean he would be on the team as a paperweight for all of next season.

zulater
02-20-2012, 02:35 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/20/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-tackles/

The Rookies

Over the past few years we’ve seen plenty of rookies come in and struggle. It’s one of the things that made Tyron Smith and his debut season such a joy to behold (except for when Jason Babin was lined up opposite him). He finished 14th overall after giving up eight sacks, a hit, and 21 hurries on 620 pass-blocking snaps. Incredibly, that wasn’t enough to lead all rookies after Marcus Gilbert gave up nine fewer QB disruptions on 167 fewer pass blocks. Smiths’ run blocking set the two apart, but it’s got to be reassuring for Steelers fans that they’ve found someone who can help Ben Roethlisberger stay healthy.

According to this blog Marcus Gilbert is already an above average offensive tackle.(13TH overall in the NFL as a pass blocker)This doesn't surprise me. In fact the more games I rewatch the better he looks from a physical standpoint. On the plays that Gilbert did get beat on, it was usually on account of a mental error. Physically he can dominate. I think he'll be a very good left tackle for this team for years to come.

If Colon comes back and plays to 2009 form we'll be above average at 3 of 5 OL positions going into next season. Foster has become adequate, and Legurskey is a good reserve. We're one really good guard away from having a very good offensive line next season.

The Duke
02-20-2012, 02:43 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/20/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-tackles/

The Rookies

Over the past few years we’ve seen plenty of rookies come in and struggle. It’s one of the things that made Tyron Smith and his debut season such a joy to behold (except for when Jason Babin was lined up opposite him). He finished 14th overall after giving up eight sacks, a hit, and 21 hurries on 620 pass-blocking snaps. Incredibly, that wasn’t enough to lead all rookies after Marcus Gilbert gave up nine fewer QB disruptions on 167 fewer pass blocks. Smiths’ run blocking set the two apart, but it’s got to be reassuring for Steelers fans that they’ve found someone who can help Ben Roethlisberger stay healthy.

According to this blog Marcus Gilbert is already an above average offensive tackle.(13TH overall in the NFL as a pass blocker)This doesn't surprise me. In fact the more games I rewatch the better he looks from a physical standpoint. On the plays that Gilbert did get beat on, it was usually on account of a mental error. Physically he can dominate. I think he'll be a very good left tackle for this team for years to come.

If Colon comes back and plays to 2009 form we'll be above average at 3 of 5 OL positions going into next season. Foster has become adequate, and Legurskey is a good reserve. We're one really good guard away from having a very good offensive line next season.

hopefully!

injuries are the biggest concern. With Colon missing the past two seasons, Pouncey constantly playing hobbled and Gilbert going down during several games

SteelMember
02-20-2012, 03:07 PM

And are those numbers generated from him primarily at RIGHT tackle?

Hopefully he'll be as good switching over, but to assume he was going against the premier pass rushers on the right side would be a fallacy.

Craic
02-20-2012, 03:59 PM
I wasn't too impressed with him this year. His name was called way to often by the announcers and that is NEVER a good thing.

Admittedly, he was a rookie and had a steep learning curve. He also played with what, 2 or 3 RGs? That has to affect him. Also, the more I think about it, the more I seem to realize that I heard very little about him in the latter games, which is good.

But I'm not convinced at all yet. Give him another couple years first.

Wonder what's going to happen to Starks if he comes into camp in shape. Anyone think he gets moved to LG? His biggest problem is movement, so I'd think guard would be better for him. However, I can't really see him pulling. So maybe RG? Ah... just read ESPN. I forgot about the ACL injury. At his age, he may be gone.

Who knows.

BigNastyDefense
02-20-2012, 04:04 PM
I think he can be successful at LT. Is he going to be as good a Jake Long or Joe Thomas? No. But he can still be a good LT. And honestly, with where the Steelers finish most seasons, they won't be in a position to draft a Long or Thomas like LT without having a horrible season or giving up a ton of draft picks. So a Gilbert is about the best the Steelers are going to get at LT. The other option is FA, and the Steelers don't normally make a big splash there.

86WARD
02-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Good...get Scott the Fuck outta town!

ALLD
02-20-2012, 04:40 PM

Give him a first class ticket on the Tommy Gun train outta town.

As for Gilbert, he needs to step up. Forget about picking up anybody in FA. We can't even sign our own guys right now. But we still need to make the OL a priority in the draft. Who knows, they could trade away the #1 pick to save cap room and use it in 2013.

ShutDown24
02-20-2012, 05:04 PM
I thought the team drafted him with the idea that he was the future starting left tackle. Guess plans haven't changed.

This really shakes up the draft projections. I have to think the team won't be looking for exterior offensive linemen until round 3 at the earliest now. Ugh. I ws just starting to come around to us taking a tackle in the 1st/2nd too. Don't think it happens now.

GBMelBlount
02-20-2012, 05:38 PM

I am sure he will be fine motivationally....

Oooops....he just tweeted that he and Max are at wine tasting event....I wonder if he extends his pinky...

zulater
02-20-2012, 06:04 PM
And are those numbers generated from him primarily at RIGHT tackle?

Hopefully he'll be as good switching over, but to assume he was going against the premier pass rushers on the right side would be a fallacy.

To assume a second year player who didn't have the benefit of OTA's and a normal offseason as a rookie has plateaued would probably be more of a fallacy. :coffee:

zulater
02-20-2012, 06:11 PM
I wasn't too impressed with him this year. His name was called way to often by the announcers and that is NEVER a good thing.

Admittedly, he was a rookie and had a steep learning curve. He also played with what, 2 or 3 RGs? That has to affect him. Also, the more I think about it, the more I seem to realize that I heard very little about him in the latter games, which is good.

But I'm not convinced at all yet. Give him another couple years first.

Wonder what's going to happen to Starks if he comes into camp in shape. Anyone think he gets moved to LG? His biggest problem is movement, so I'd think guard would be better for him. However, I can't really see him pulling. So maybe RG? Ah... just read ESPN. I forgot about the ACL injury. At his age, he may be gone.

Who knows.

I would say a majority of the times he was beat this past year came as a result of mental errors. Add to this that he rarely repeated his mistakes. And I think you've got the makings of a very good left tackle. As has been said earlier, I doubt we're talking Jake Long or Joe Thomas level of player. But I think we could be looking at a Marvel smith caliber left tackle. Who by the way also started off as a right tackle as a rookie.

zulater
02-20-2012, 06:13 PM
I think he can be successful at LT. Is he going to be as good a Jake Long or Joe Thomas? No. But he can still be a good LT. And honestly, with where the Steelers finish most seasons, they won't be in a position to draft a Long or Thomas like LT without having a horrible season or giving up a ton of draft picks. So a Gilbert is about the best the Steelers are going to get at LT. The other option is FA, and the Steelers don't normally make a big splash there.

Think Marvel Smith, I think that's where we're going with this, and that's good enough for me.

BigNastyDefense
02-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Think Marvel Smith, I think that's where we're going with this, and that's good enough for me.

He was a pretty good tackle until he started having back problems. Wasn't he the starting LT when the Steelers won SB XL? If he is as good as Smith was at his best, then I will be happy with it.

steelreserve
02-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Good - that's a far better option than putting Scott back there again, or breaking the bank for a free agent that we wouldn't get anyway. Time to sink or swim anyway; we don't have a year or two to fart around while guys maybe work out or maybe don't.

I also hope the Steelers resign Max Starks as a safety net for both tackle positions. I don't really think there's going to be a huge market for Max. If the Steelers are moving on from him what does that say to the rest of the league? Anyway assuming I'm right about Max, I think he'd be a good guy to have on the roster just in case.

Since he tore his ACL right at the end of the year, I don't think he's playing in 2012.

zulater
02-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Good - that's a far better option than putting Scott back there again, or breaking the bank for a free agent that we wouldn't get anyway. Time to sink or swim anyway; we don't have a year or two to fart around while guys maybe work out or maybe don't.

Since he tore his ACL right at the end of the year, I don't think he's playing in 2012.

Yeah I forgot that at the time I posted it. :doh: Oh well so much for that plan.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-20-2012, 08:05 PM
I think you will see Jon Scott signed on for another year or 2 this offseason. Not many other options other than Gilbert, Colon, Chris Scott.

steelreserve
02-20-2012, 09:28 PM
I think Scott is pretty likely to be kept around as insurance for RT, since he actually did OK there. Since there's no guarantee T-Rex will be back in form, or even on the roster.

GBMelBlount
02-20-2012, 09:37 PM
I hope he can stay healthy and gets a good offseason of strength training.

I was worried that he wasnt gonna pan out at LT, but think he has the athleticism. Hope he can be the guy there for the next 10 years.

That's how I feel.

Regardless, I would like to see one more very solid lineman early. Third round (and later) becomes a veritable crap shoot.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-20-2012, 10:14 PM
That's how I feel.

Regardless, I would like to see one more very solid lineman early. Third round (and later) becomes a veritable crap shoot.

Not always true. I have always thought that while you tend to get better talent early, especially at OT....that you can find solid interior linemen in the 3rd or later. Carl Nicks was a 5th rounder I think, Shaun Lavao in Cleveland was also a 4th or 5th, while I expect that the Vikings found a gem in the 6th round last year with DeMarcus Love.

I personally thought that we gave up on Kraig Urbik too early, but he obviously didnt prove himself in camp...or wasnt Kuglers guy.

BigNastyDefense
02-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Not always true. I have always thought that while you tend to get better talent early, especially at OT....that you can find solid interior linemen in the 3rd or later. Carl Nicks was a 5th rounder I think, Shaun Lavao in Cleveland was also a 4th or 5th, while I expect that the Vikings found a gem in the 6th round last year with DeMarcus Love.

I personally thought that we gave up on Kraig Urbik too early, but he obviously didnt prove himself in camp...or wasnt Kuglers guy.

I live in Cleveland and NOBODY thinks Shaun Lavao is anything more than a depth player.

suitanim
02-21-2012, 05:18 AM
This doesn't necessarily mean he will end up starting at LT...just means he's moving over there to compete. Hopefully with at least a couple other dudes via the draft or FA (although the latter appears unlikely given the cap situation)...

GBMelBlount
02-21-2012, 06:32 AM

I understand your point.

However, because you more frequently find better talent early I really feel we need to go 1 or 2 to have the best possible chance of getting one more very solid lineman.

I have just watched Ben suffer with a sub par line the last 5 years and the less chances we take moving forward the better imo.

We picked up Pouncey & Gilbert early and they both look to be solid starters...would just like to see one more...

and if you can pick up a good offensive lineman 3rd or later I would imagine you could pick up a good nose tackle or ILB later too...

That's all.

suitanim
02-21-2012, 08:11 AM
The other side of the coin is that sometimes it's better not to reach. We've seen this a couple times in the last few years where there's an early run on tackles and the next thing you know teams are panicking and taking 3rd round guys at the end of the first. I think it's prudent for the Steelers to stick to their board, and if a guy they covet falls to them, select him, but DON'T start reaching for guys to fill a need. It could quite possibly end up creating another void at another position.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-21-2012, 09:24 AM
I understand your point.

However, because you more frequently find better talent early I really feel we need to go 1 or 2 to have the best possible chance of getting one more very solid lineman.

I have just watched Ben suffer with a sub par line the last 5 years and the less chances we take moving forward the better imo.

We picked up Pouncey & Gilbert early and they both look to be solid starters...would just like to see one more...

and if you can pick up a good offensive lineman 3rd or later I would imagine you could pick up a good nose tackle or ILB later too...

That's all.

I hear ya. I think the premium line positions, like the guys that can play LT are obviously taken in early rounds. Where the guys that dont have light feet and are mostly deemed a RT slide to later rounds. Sam Young from Notre Dame was a guy that went from a 2nd round pick to a 6th round pick for that reason.

I think the issue with the Steelers O line is they have been spending 5th rounders and later on guys like Cam Stevenson, Kemo, Keith Williams, Chris Scott, Foster. Also reaching for guys like Trai Essex and Tony Hills in rd 3 and 4.

I would like to see them address O line in maybe rounds 2 and 4 if they can get Poe in the 1st. Maybe something like 1. Poe-NT 2. Osemele (or Zeitler)-OL 3. Acho ILB 4. Nate Potter or Senio Kelemente- OL........leave the 5th and later for a backup TE, WR, or S prospect.

GBMelBlount
02-21-2012, 09:40 AM
I would like to see them address O line in maybe rounds 2 and 4 if they can get Poe in the 1st.

Maybe something like

1. Poe-NT
2. Osemele (or Zeitler)-OL
3. Acho ILB
4. Nate Potter or Senio Kelemente- OL........
leave the 5th and later for a backup TE, WR, or S prospect.

This makes sense to me.

I think addressing the line with rounds 2 & 4 would be ok and certainly a NT in the first & ILB in the 3rd makes sense.

Obviously things change but it's logical and puts a little more emphasis on the O line while still addressing the other 2 biggest perceived needs in the first three rounds.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-21-2012, 10:04 AM
This makes sense to me.

I think addressing the line with rounds 2 & 4 would be ok and certainly a NT in the first & ILB in the 3rd makes sense.

Obviously things change but it's logical and puts a little more emphasis on the O line while still addressing the other 2 biggest perceived needs in the first three rounds.

Yeah, but of course we never know how their draft board works out. Could be that Poe is gone in the 1st and they end up getting Hightower at ILB. Then Ta'aamu is there in the 2nd and they end up having to take an O lineman in the 3rd.

The faithful on the boards will be crying that again we didnt get our O lineman, but a lot of the misses in the past have got us to the point where they need BAA in any of these categories. Using premium picks on O line isnt a lock, no matter how many think its badly needed.

zulater
02-21-2012, 11:05 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here? I'm quite comfortable going into next season with Gilbert and Colon as our left and right tackle's respectively. I'm even ok with Jonathan Scott as a swing man. Though I would like to see them add one more viable tackle with legitimate NFL game at some point. I'm not even sure Starks couldn't figure into the plans somewhere if his rehab goes well. Say Starks isn't fully rehabbed by the start of the camp, if you can put him on the PUP list, you'd have him available for week 7 on. Hopefully you can survive with your starters through then. Anyway we have more pressing needs than tackle for the draft. Gilbert will be an above average left tackle, Colon will be an above average right tackle. Believe me now, or believe me later, mark it down. We're set at tackle. .

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-21-2012, 11:29 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here? I'm quite comfortable going into next season with Gilbert and Colon as our left and right tackle's respectively. I'm even ok with Jonathan Scott as a swing man. Though I would like to see them add one more viable tackle with legitimate NFL game at some point. I'm not even sure Starks couldn't figure into the plans somewhere if his rehab goes well. Say Starks isn't fully rehabbed by the start of the camp, if you can put him on the PUP list, you'd have him available for week 7 on. Hopefully you can survive with your starters through then. Anyway we have more pressing needs than tackle for the draft. Gilbert will be an above average left tackle, Colon will be an above average right tackle. Believe me now, or believe me later, mark it down. We're set at tackle. .

Zu, I agree with you that we are OK at OT. Jon Scott is a decent veteran at either. I would still like to see an OT drafted to add some depth and could develop to play LT down the road if needed. Nate Potter might be a good developmental prospect in that regard.