PDA

View Full Version : Rooney addresses criticism

zulater
02-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Rooney addresses criticism

By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Art Rooney II, the son and grandson of Pro Football Hall of Fame NFL owners, reserves the right to continue his family tradition of running the Steelers with a "hands-on" approach. That does not mean he handpicked head coach Mike Tomlin's new offensive coordinator, Todd Haley.

"I can`t say what people on the outside think, but (Tomlin) picks his staff," Rooney told the Tribune-Review.

Fans not willing to buy those words should remember which two men spoke at the news conference at which Haley was introduced last week, Rooney said. Those men: Tomlin and Haley.

"Mike picks his staff, like I said, so he should talk about it in public," Rooney said in a wide-ranging interview. "The head coach should do the talking in that situation, not the owner."

Rare public criticism has come the Steelers` way since the team`s surprising loss at Denver in the first round of the AFC playoffs last month. Many callers to talk radio shows have questioned Rooney`s role in the brief retirement of former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, the subsequent courtship and hiring of Haley, and Rooney's public critique of franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger, who still had not met with Haley days after the hiring, requested a one-on-one with Rooney, who did not say if that meeting had occurred. However, Rooney acknowledged chatting with an unnamed player in his office at the team`s South Side facility as Tomlin introduced Haley at that news conference.

Read more: Rooney addresses criticism - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_781987.html#ixzz1mawkmYgr

fansince'76
02-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Good article. Nice change from all the soap opera crap that's been pouring out from the local scribes in the 'Burgh for the last several weeks.

SMR
02-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Good read. Take that you drama queen "reporters"!!

Count Steeler
02-16-2012, 08:12 PM
"I can`t say what people on the outside think, but (Tomlin) picks his staff," Rooney told the Tribune-Review.

Fans not willing to buy those words should remember which two men spoke at the news conference at which Haley was introduced last week, Rooney said. Those men: Tomlin and Haley.

"Mike picks his staff, like I said, so he should talk about it in public," Rooney said in a wide-ranging interview. "The head coach should do the talking in that situation, not the owner."

:applaudit: We don't always get the details, now do we. Let's stop speculating and just trust the long term track record of the Steelers organization. They are not the best organization in sports for no reason.

Shoes
02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Good read....thanks for that Z!

tube517
02-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Just stop, Art Rooneyjonessnyder. Stop with the facade. You picked Haley and we know it! Tomlin's too busy with the final season of House to worry about who his asst coach is. :sarcasm:

Austin87
02-17-2012, 03:44 AM
Good read.

suitanim
02-17-2012, 05:31 AM
I didn't know anyone was actually claiming Rooney picked Haley. WAS anyone saying that?

zulater
02-17-2012, 05:35 AM
I didn't know anyone was actually claiming Rooney picked Haley. WAS anyone saying that?

I think Florio over at PFT suggested that quite strongly, and other media outlets ran with it as fact.

suitanim
02-17-2012, 05:40 AM
I think Florio over at PFT suggested that quite strongly, and other media outlets ran with it as fact.

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh....Florio.

zulater
02-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2012, 10:25 AM EST

It’ll be a delicate task for Haley, especially since rumors continue to swirl in league circles that he got the job not because Tomlin wanted him, but because the Rooney family opted to throw a bone to the son of Dick Haley, who spent 44 years with the team as a player and personnel executive.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/11/

Iron Steeler
02-17-2012, 06:29 AM
R.I.P. stupid inaccurate rumors. Let's see the reporters try to twist this.

suitanim
02-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Ridiculous. If you're scrapping your OC because you honestly want to win and think it's time for a change, you don't start hiring people based on patronage. You hire the very best person available. This isn't high school...it's the NFL.

oneforthetoe
02-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Darn Rooneys .... meddling cheapskates.:tongue1:

polamalubeast
02-17-2012, 02:23 PM
David (State College)

JH, seems you are only being typical media type by drumming up controversy with Rooney's forcing Arians out, Ben not meeting with Haley is bad, and Hines will be cut? Why don't you report the facts when they come out for the Steelers instead of stirring up a controversy or just go back to your beloved Ravens country!

Jamison Hensley (ESPN) (3:21 PM)

David: It's funny because I don't make Steelers player or officials talk. I react to what they say. If the Steelers had handled the situation better, there would have avoided this reaction. Don't blame the media. Blame the team.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/42570/nfl-with-jamison-hensley

fansince'76
02-17-2012, 02:57 PM
David (State College)

JH, seems you are only being typical media type by drumming up controversy with Rooney's forcing Arians out, Ben not meeting with Haley is bad, and Hines will be cut? Why don't you report the facts when they come out for the Steelers instead of stirring up a controversy or just go back to your beloved Ravens country!

Jamison Hensley (ESPN) (3:21 PM)

David: It's funny because I don't make Steelers player or officials talk. I react to what they say. If the Steelers had handled the situation better, there would have avoided this reaction. Don't blame the media. Blame the team.

No, you take what they say and spew a bunch of half-assed conjecture as "fact." And what's worse is you do it all through a prism of being an obvious Ravens homer and try to pass it off as objectivity. You're a hack. Media's full of 'em, particularly Disney Channel II. :coffee:

Moose
02-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the post Z, like I always say, I trust the F.O. and all their decisions, their records show their football knowledge. Gotta trust.

tihmtahm
02-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks for straightening that out... The media sucks... If you want the truth, ask the ones involved!

slippy
02-17-2012, 06:16 PM
florio sucks! how did he get a spot on sunday night football?