PDA

View Full Version : Update: Willie Colon restructures - saves Steelers $2.85 million

86WARD
02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Hearing reports on the radio that Colon has said he's not willing to restructure or take a pay cut..

tube517
02-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Who is Willie Colon? Haven't seen him since 2009

Galax Steeler
02-16-2012, 03:02 PM
All I can say is :wave: and don't let the door hit you in the ass.

polamalubeast
02-16-2012, 03:09 PM
The worst signing of the Steelers since 2000.

JackLambert58
02-16-2012, 03:09 PM
What radio station 86? Is it just a general sports news report?

Texasteel
02-16-2012, 03:36 PM
After playing one game in two years? That would piss me off if this were my team. Particularly when several of the main players that actually play on this team is willing to restucture. ( If this is true.)

SteelGhost
02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
See ya' Willie :wave:

86WARD
02-16-2012, 03:54 PM
What radio station 86? Is it just a general sports news report?

NFL Radio. Sirius.

86WARD
02-16-2012, 03:55 PM
After playing one game in two years? That would piss me off if this were my team. Particularly when several of the main players that actually play on this team is willing to restucture. ( If this is true.)

Yep. My initial feeling as well. Obviously he thinks more of himself than he is probably worth.

SMR
02-16-2012, 04:01 PM
IF this is true Colon needs a reality check.

XxKnightxX
02-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Buh bye. You sure as hell wont be missed, what has he done in 2 years. False starts and IR.

fansince'76
02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
If this is true...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFvU3T7eruA

GBMelBlount
02-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Sounds like the Steelers need to give this swollen colon an enema.

polamalubeast
02-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Willie Colon’s cap number makes it hard to cut him

February 8th, 2012 4:08pm | The Show | Category: Steelers

Steelers offensive tackle Willie Colon who has only played one game in the last two seasons is on my list of guys who should be gone this offseason. After looking at all the cap numbers and potential cost savings to the Steelers by players who could be released it looks like we will be stuck with Colon for another season at least. He basically can’t be cut. So the Steelers are going to have to look for cost savings somewhere else. Someone who we might need could lose their job because Colon has to stay

Colon is due $5.7 million this season. If the Steelers were to release Colon they would only save $900k of that $5.7 million in cap money. It is not worth it in any way shape or form for Colon to not be on this team next year.

read more

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/02/08/willie-colons-cap-number-makes-it-hard-to-cut-him/

:doh::doh::frusty::frusty:

fansince'76
02-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Unless he thinks he has the Steelers over a barrel because the offensive line is so bad....in which case I hope they give him the boot.

Edit: Never mind, he does have the team over a barrel, looks like. :doh:

polamalubeast
02-16-2012, 04:30 PM
If the Steelers are not able to sign Mike Wallace, the horrible signing of Colon has been the big reason.

Count Steeler
02-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Trade him for a seventh rounder. Or even a sack of footballs. If he goes on IR again, does he count against the cap?

zulater
02-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Yeah the guy's a real scum bag for not being willing to honor his end of the contract!

Oh what's that?

Never mind.

:chuckle:

tube517
02-16-2012, 05:54 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41T7BSTFX4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But, in all seriousness, I haven't seen anything online about this.

SteelMember
02-16-2012, 05:54 PM
He's been stealing money for 2 years now... Why would he want to take a pay cut?

steelerdude15
02-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Like everyone else, if these is true, seeya.

Edman
02-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Colon, next to Kemo and Scott, Is probably the biggest waste of money sitting on the roster. Except we didn't sign Kemo and Scott to a big deal.

I knew for a fact that signing this Mediocre False-Start Machine was a mistake from day 1, and it looks like I was correct.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2012, 06:09 PM
He is one of Ben's good friends isnt he? Might be the next one to "retire" from the Steelers.

I have been one of the biggest supporters of Colon, but was open last year of saying they should let him walk to the Bears and replace him with Chris Scott, Jon Scott or a rookie draft pick. But, what do I know?

SteelerEmpire
02-16-2012, 06:28 PM
So he's negotiating "Big Willie Style" ?

ALLD
02-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Everybody on the OL except Pouncey is expendable regardless. The Steelers might cut him anyway just to make a point.

86WARD
02-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Willie Colon (http://www.nfl.com/players/williecolon/profile?id=COL747402) ($4.5 million base) is not willing to take a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh following another injury-marred season, and at his age, Steve Hutchinson (http://www.nfl.com/players/stevehutchinson/profile?id=HUT173616) ($6.95 million base) might not make sense for a rebuilding Vikings team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82704bb5/article/ward-newman-and-cooley-highlight-cap-casualty-season

BlastFurnace
02-16-2012, 10:39 PM
The worst signing of the Steelers since 2000.

I wish they would have let "False Start" Willie walk too.

I have always thought the worst contract of the 2000's was the last one that Gildong signed. I think he only played one or two years of that deal.

Chidi29
02-17-2012, 12:06 AM

Let's not pass these other guys off as saints. It's nice that they're doing something to help out the team, but the guys who are restructuring aren't losing a dime. In fact, they're getting a nice big check right now as soon as they ink the new deal.

zulater
02-17-2012, 05:33 AM
The Steelers have the right to approach any player about restructuring, and the players in turn have the right to say no, and deal with whatever fallout comes there way as a result. If Colon's contract is structured in such a way that it would be hard for the Steelers to release him, that's on them, not him. He's not out there demanding anything, all he's doing is saying he's going to live by the terms of a contract that he and the Steelers mutually agreed to last summer.

Personally I don't think the Steelers would release him even if they could make it work with their cap situation. He's still a big part of their plans, and could be the key to a resurgent offensive line in 2012. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. And besides Willie is doing nothing wrong!!

A contract is supposed to be binding for all parties that signed it.

The Steelers need to go elsewhere for their cap room.

Texasteel
02-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Let's not pass these other guys off as saints. It's nice that they're doing something to help out the team, but the guys who are restructuring aren't losing a dime. In fact, they're getting a nice big check right now as soon as they ink the new deal.

I wouldn't expect him to loose money either, particularly if he has the leverage it seems. How ever if these other players can restucture and benifit from it, along with the team, I would think he could do the same thing. Like I said before, if this is all true.

Chidi29
02-17-2012, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't expect him to loose money either, particularly if he has the leverage it seems. How ever if these other players can restucture and benifit from it, along with the team, I would think he could do the same thing. Like I said before, if this is all true.

He'd probably be willing to restructure. Most players are, especially one with the injury history he has.

But the report is that he wasn't willing to take a pay cut.

Texasteel
02-17-2012, 02:47 PM
He'd probably be willing to restructure. Most players are, especially one with the injury history he has.

But the report is that he wasn't willing to take a pay cut.

Don't know about a report, I was speeking of the first post, and like I stated with every post. If it is true.

Chidi29
02-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Don't know about a report, I was speeking of the first post, and like I stated with every post. If it is true.

Based on La Canforna's post, I don't see anything about an unwillingess to restructure. But I missed what the OP wrote so I see what you're saying. My fault.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82704bb5/article/ward-newman-and-cooley-highlight-cap-casualty-season

"Willie Colon ($4.5 million base) is not willing to take a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh following another injury-marred season..."

tube517
02-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Based on La Canforna's post, I don't see anything about an unwillingess to restructure. But I missed what the OP wrote so I see what you're saying. My fault.

"Willie Colon ($4.5 million base) is not willing to take a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh following another injury-marred season..."

LaCanfora is an idiot. What sane player would take a pay cut on an existing contract? Worthless NFLN.

Chidi29
02-17-2012, 03:29 PM
LaCanfora is an idiot. What sane player would take a pay cut on an existing contract? Worthless NFLN.

Hines Ward....

tube517
02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Hines Ward.... I thought he said restructure not pay cut?

smokin3000gt
02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
See ya, Willie asshole (cologne my ass, it's COLON) you false startin' bitch.

zulater
02-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Hines Ward....

Different situation. Ward's well past his prime. If Colon can escape the injury bug, he's an above average offensive tackle who figures to start for the Steelers for several more seasons.

zulater
02-17-2012, 04:11 PM
See ya, Willie asshole (cologne my ass, it's COLON) you false startin' bitch.

Problem with your post, you're dissing the Steelers starting right tackle for the next 4 seasons. :heh:

Willie has the right to protect his money. Injuries happen. His injuries had nothing to do with lack of preparation or being out of shape. His injures were also entirely unrelated, so the thought he's chronically injured doesn't hold water.

Colon didn't miss a start for 3 consecutive seasons. (07-09). By the Steelers coaching staff he graded out as the Steelers best offensive lineman in 09, by quite a bit. He's thought highly off around the league. Were he released by the Steelers he would be signed for the same money elsewhere within weeks. He has leverage. There's no reason he should be forced to take a pay cut or invalidate a contract bargained for in good faith.

Chidi29
02-17-2012, 09:26 PM
I thought he said restructure not pay cut?

The headlines all say paycut though he did only ever say "restrucuture" in the articles. Interesting...

7willBheaven
02-17-2012, 11:30 PM
The Steelers have the right to approach any player about restructuring, and the players in turn have the right to say no, and deal with whatever fallout comes there way as a result. If Colon's contract is structured in such a way that it would be hard for the Steelers to release him, that's on them, not him. He's not out there demanding anything, all he's doing is saying he's going to live by the terms of a contract that he and the Steelers mutually agreed to last summer.

Personally I don't think the Steelers would release him even if they could make it work with their cap situation. He's still a big part of their plans, and could be the key to a resurgent offensive line in 2012. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. And besides Willie is doing nothing wrong!!

A contract is supposed to be binding for all parties that signed it.

The Steelers need to go elsewhere for their cap room.

Finally someone looking at this like it should be. Plus he COULD have asked for more to stay (since Chicago was offering more), but he didnt. He is the 2nd/3rd best OL under contract. He's not going anywhere right now.

steelreserve
02-18-2012, 04:22 AM

A player who's already been paid all his guaranteed money and knows that if he doesn't take a pay cut, he'll be released outright and lose his base salary too - that's who.

Colon is banking on the fact that we'll keep him around for $5M, just because we'd eat $4M in dead money if we cut him thanks to contract cirsumstances. Total lowball move on his part, and basically shows that he and especially his agent have NO confidence he'll ever get a decent contract again otherwise, so fight tooth and nail for an extra $5M payday. I'd cut him by Saturday morning just to prove a point that that type of shit will not be tolerated, and in any case, saving $900K is saving $900K. See you later, asshole; hope that Achilles tendon never gets better.

zulater
02-18-2012, 05:17 AM
A player who's already been paid all his guaranteed money and knows that if he doesn't take a pay cut, he'll be released outright and lose his base salary too - that's who.

Colon is banking on the fact that we'll keep him around for $5M, just because we'd eat $4M in dead money if we cut him thanks to contract cirsumstances. Total lowball move on his part, and basically shows that he and especially his agent have NO confidence he'll ever get a decent contract again otherwise, so fight tooth and nail for an extra $5M payday. I'd cut him by Saturday morning just to prove a point that that type of shit will not be tolerated, and in any case, saving $900K is saving $900K. See you later, asshole; hope that Achilles tendon never gets better.

If Colon returns to 2009 form you going to be crying about what an asshole he is?

Players act upon the advice of their agents all the time. What Colon's doing doesn't make him an ass, it makes him a savvy business man in a ruthless business that will consume you in every sense of the word.

Again he's not demanding anything, all he wants to do at this point is honor the contract as it was written. Who knows he may waver on his stance somewhere down the road? Or maybe he wont? But that's his business, and his right. No one has the right to berate a man for simply wanting to live under the terms of a mutually agreed upon contract. To do so would make one an a.... never mind. :chuckle:.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2012, 09:27 AM
. No one has the right to berate a man for simply wanting to live under the terms of a mutually agreed upon contract. To do so would make one an a.... never mind. :chuckle:.

Yeah, and the contracts in the NFL are more one sided. Owners can cut a guy like Ward with 2 years left on his contract, but Players that are paid under value like say Antonio Brown, are expected to play it out until their next deal is up.

I dont blame Colon for not taking a cut. I hope he stays and plays well. I am just saying I would have let him go to Chicago last season and gone with Jon Scott, Chris Scott or a rookie at RT(as Gilbert ended up doing) and moved on.

zulater
02-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Yeah, and the contracts in the NFL are more one sided. Owners can cut a guy like Ward with 2 years left on his contract, but Players that are paid under value like say Antonio Brown, are expected to play it out until their next deal is up.

I dont blame Colon for not taking a cut. I hope he stays and plays well. I am just saying I would have let him go to Chicago last season and gone with Jon Scott, Chris Scott or a rookie at RT(as Gilbert ended up doing) and moved on.

That's all fair Gonzo. I can see the logic in that.

But that ship's sailed, so hopefully Colon can come back and play at his 2009 level next season, and be part of a much improved offensive line in 2012.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2012, 01:43 PM
That's all fair Gonzo. I can see the logic in that.

But that ship's sailed, so hopefully Colon can come back and play at his 2009 level next season, and be part of a much improved offensive line in 2012.

Exactly, I dont begrudge the guy for not wanting to give any of his salary back. He started 3 seasons at RT and earned $454,000 a season in those years. I didnt see any backlash on the message boards saying that he should be paid market value.

If a guy is underpaid, the fans say he should live out his contract. If a guy is overpaid while injured, they think he should give money back. Shouldnt have to be that double standard.

BigNastyDefense
02-18-2012, 03:19 PM
By restructuring your contract, you're being asked to take less to play that season. They move money into a future roster bonus, or take that money and add it to your base salary another year where they expect to have the cap room to cover it. So yes, restructuring is taking a pay cut for that season since NFL contracts are not guaranteed if you get cut, if that money isn't moved into a future signing bonus it is not guaranteed.

Now the Steelers do save $9k by releasing him. It isn't much, but it still helps. By saying he's unwilling to restructure, it shows that he doesn't believe that his body is capable of holding up and that he's going to use his large cap hit even if he's cut to keep a roster spot. Now if the Steelers keep him and he turns out to be a good lineman after not playing for two seasons due to injuries and doesn't end up back on IR then it works out and he's worth the cap hit.

However, if he doesn't play well or ends up back on IR, then he should be cut the very first chance they can after the season ends. Even if we don't save a whole lot against next year's cap by cutting him, whatever we saved would be worth it because after that season he'd be off of our books.

I can also see him being cut just to teach everyone else a lesson. If guys like Ben, Ward, Harrison, and Woodley are all willing to restructure their contracts then if you're asked you should be willing to also.

steelreserve
02-18-2012, 03:33 PM
If Colon returns to 2009 form you going to be crying about what an asshole he is?

Players act upon the advice of their agents all the time. What Colon's doing doesn't make him an ass, it makes him a savvy business man in a ruthless business that will consume you in every sense of the word.

Again he's not demanding anything, all he wants to do at this point is honor the contract as it was written. Who knows he may waver on his stance somewhere down the road? Or maybe he wont? But that's his business, and his right. No one has the right to berate a man for simply wanting to live under the terms of a mutually agreed upon contract. To do so would make one an a.... never mind. :chuckle:.

In the NFL, all that's guaranteed is guaranteed money, and it's common knowledge that "a signed, agreed upon contract" basically means jack shit. There is no honor or obligation because someone signed a sacred deal; it can be torn up at any time and no one's a villain for "going back on their word" or "failing to honor the contract." These are grown men, they know that's how it works, and their agents know how it works. Way I see it, he already got what was owed him, now he's trying to squeeze out $5M that he didn't earn because of a technicality about prorated signing bonuses. You want to do it your way, with all the honor and principle and integrity, then fine - let him keep the money, and now he's just a guy who didn't come close to living up to his contract, and he should feel terrible.

I guess I tend to blame the player in contract issues when I should be blaming the agent, but it's still crappy. He should be playing on contract that gives him a chance to PROVE he is worth the money.

Put it this way - if I got a promotion and a fat raise at work, and then didn't do anything for two full years, then my employer told me I had to re-prove myself or find another job, I would completely understand.

zulater
02-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Exactly, I dont begrudge the guy for not wanting to give any of his salary back. He started 3 seasons at RT and earned $454,000 a season in those years. I didnt see any backlash on the message boards saying that he should be paid market value.

If a guy is underpaid, the fans say he should live out his contract. If a guy is overpaid while injured, they think he should give money back. Shouldnt have to be that double standard.

Great point's! :applaudit:

ALLD
02-18-2012, 04:29 PM
The point is just about everybody on the team is willing to restructure in order to preserve the balance and Colon is holding out, that is the point.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2012, 06:08 PM
The point is just about everybody on the team is willing to restructure in order to preserve the balance and Colon is holding out, that is the point.

You are missing the point. If somebody takes a PAY CUT, its getting less money. If somebody wants to RESTRUCTURE their deal.....it can mean deferring payment until later BUT getting more UP front in a signing bonus.
Colon may be willing to restructure his deal, as long as he gets paid.......but he doesnt want to take a PAY CUT.

I dont know your work situation......but do you want to take a PAY CUT??

zulater
02-18-2012, 06:41 PM
You are missing the point. If somebody takes a PAY CUT, its getting less money. If somebody wants to RESTRUCTURE their deal.....it can mean deferring payment until later BUT getting more UP front in a signing bonus.
Colon may be willing to restructure his deal, as long as he gets paid.......but he doesnt want to take a PAY CUT.

Exactly. According to the linked article Colon wasn't being offered the same restructuring deals that Ben and Harrison were offered. He was being asked to take a pay cut. Huge difference. You could drive a tractor trailer through the difference.

Chidi29
02-18-2012, 10:15 PM
By restructuring your contract, you're being asked to take less to play that season. They move money into a future roster bonus, or take that money and add it to your base salary another year where they expect to have the cap room to cover it. So yes, restructuring is taking a pay cut for that season since NFL contracts are not guaranteed if you get cut, if that money isn't moved into a future signing bonus it is not guaranteed.

No, not how it works.

The way they restrucutre to free up space is through a signing bonus. Let's use a generic example.

Player X is set to make 7 million for the season and has three years left on his deal, two after the current season that he is owed 7 million. A team is looking to free up space.

They restructure his deal where they take his 7 million base salary (also called Paragraph 5 salary) and convert 6 million of that into a signing bonus. A signing bonus is money you get right away and is guaranteed once you sign, hence the name. So now he has a 6 million signing bonus and a one million base for that year. That six million bonus gets prorated, or spread over the length of the deal. 6/3 equals two so add another two million to each year. His cap hit goes from 7 million before the restructure to 3 million for that year (1 million base + protrated bonus). The team has just saved four million dollars.

Restructuring is a great option for players because it gives them their money right now. Like zu said, completely different from a paycut.

steelreserve
02-19-2012, 11:33 AM

He's being asked to take a PAY CUT because he hasn't contributed anything to the team for two years and it's a toss-up whether he ever will again. This is the team's way of saying "9 times out of 10 you would just be released outright because of poor reliability and a questionable future, but because of a technicality in the salary cap rules we'll consider keeping you. Now, there are two ways to handle this: You can make it an easy decision to keep you, or you can be a dick about it. Which one?"

Again, all that's guaranteed in an NFL contract is the guaranteed money. That's why such a big deal is made out of it. The players are all big boys and they know this. Your signing bonus and your first year of pay is all that you're "entitled" to, and after that - you'd better fucking perform. Cutting a guy in the second year of a new contract costs a lot, and the fact that a team would even be considering it means they must be pretty pissed.

If I were in the owner's suite, I'd just say the hell with it and move on. Better to have him cost me $4M in virtual money that's already been paid, than an extra $5M in real money that comes out of my pocket this year, plus if he doesn't perform, he'd have me over the same barrel for about $3M in dead money next season.

ALLD
02-19-2012, 01:04 PM
He's being asked to take a PAY CUT because he hasn't contributed anything to the team for two years and it's a toss-up whether he ever will again. This is the team's way of saying "9 times out of 10 you would just be released outright because of poor reliability and a questionable future, but because of a technicality in the salary cap rules we'll consider keeping you. Now, there are two ways to handle this: You can make it an easy decision to keep you, or you can be a dick about it. Which one?"

Again, all that's guaranteed in an NFL contract is the guaranteed money. That's why such a big deal is made out of it. The players are all big boys and they know this. Your signing bonus and your first year of pay is all that you're "entitled" to, and after that - you'd better fucking perform. Cutting a guy in the second year of a new contract costs a lot, and the fact that a team would even be considering it means they must be pretty pissed.

If I were in the owner's suite, I'd just say the hell with it and move on. Better to have him cost me $4M in virtual money that's already been paid, than an extra $5M in real money that comes out of my pocket this year, plus if he doesn't perform, he'd have me over the same barrel for about $3M in dead money next season.

+4m

BigNastyDefense
02-19-2012, 01:15 PM
No, not how it works.

The way they restrucutre to free up space is through a signing bonus. Let's use a generic example.

Player X is set to make 7 million for the season and has three years left on his deal, two after the current season that he is owed 7 million. A team is looking to free up space.

They restructure his deal where they take his 7 million base salary (also called Paragraph 5 salary) and convert 6 million of that into a signing bonus. A signing bonus is money you get right away and is guaranteed once you sign, hence the name. So now he has a 6 million signing bonus and a one million base for that year. That six million bonus gets prorated, or spread over the length of the deal. 6/3 equals two so add another two million to each year. His cap hit goes from 7 million before the restructure to 3 million for that year (1 million base + protrated bonus). The team has just saved four million dollars.

Restructuring is a great option for players because it gives them their money right now. Like zu said, completely different from a paycut.

I always thought a signing bonus that's given immediately goes against the salary cap that season as money paid. Just like a roster bonus goes against that year's cap.

Either way, if it goes into a singing bonus that's paid now or later, it's still guaranteed money that has to be paid at some point rather that player is still on the roster or not.

Seeing how he has not been able to play the past two seasons and may never be the same player he once was, he should be willing to restructure his deal to help out the team. Otherwise, he might get paid this year and cut which wipes out his contract beyond this season. And coming off of two seasons of injury, he won't be getting anything much over a vet minimum contract with a lot of play incentives.

I understand that he didn't make much in the seasons that he played, and played decently at worst, but that's the way the system works. The players had the chance to change that system and chose not to during the lockout. They folded and for the most part, the same system remains.

If the Steelers cut him to save the $900k on the cap, I am sure he'll bitch about "being thrown out like trash." He will have had the chance to stay on a restructured deal where he'd likely get the money up front and/or later in a signing bonus that's spread out over a couple of seasons. But if he gets cut, it will be his fault for not wanting to be more flexible.

zulater
02-19-2012, 03:35 PM
In the end the Steelers will do what they believe serves their best interest as will the player. I respect both parties situations and will be fine with whatever is ultimately decided as to whether Colon stays or goes, and how much he makes.

But as a quick aside before I duck out of the subject. Gregg Lloyd was on the IR for his entire rookie season. He followed that up by opening his sophomore season by spending the first 7 weeks on the IR. It was a different system then, a player didn't have to miss the entire season if placed on the IR. This brings me to two points.

1. According to reliable sources Colon could have returned and played later in each of the past two seasons if the NFL didn't have it's all or nothing injured reserve rules. One wonders what the Steelers would have done with Lloyd back in 88 under today's rules?

2. As to the assertion that Colon's "inflexibility" is an indication of his fear that he's not the same player. I say just the opposite is likely true. This to me is an indication that Colon believes he's sitting on a strong comeback season, and that he doesn't fear future reprisal from the Steelers as his play will be too strong for them to consider parting company with him.

Lastly, as I said before the Steelers are too smart to cut off their nose to spite their face. Willie Colon is a big part of the plans, he wont be cut. He'll be the starting right tackle ( or possibly guard) next season and beyond.

Chidi29
02-19-2012, 04:33 PM
I always thought a signing bonus that's given immediately goes against the salary cap that season as money paid. Just like a roster bonus goes against that year's cap.

Either way, if it goes into a singing bonus that's paid now or later, it's still guaranteed money that has to be paid at some point rather that player is still on the roster or not.

Seeing how he has not been able to play the past two seasons and may never be the same player he once was, he should be willing to restructure his deal to help out the team. Otherwise, he might get paid this year and cut which wipes out his contract beyond this season. And coming off of two seasons of injury, he won't be getting anything much over a vet minimum contract with a lot of play incentives.

I understand that he didn't make much in the seasons that he played, and played decently at worst, but that's the way the system works. The players had the chance to change that system and chose not to during the lockout. They folded and for the most part, the same system remains.

If the Steelers cut him to save the $900k on the cap, I am sure he'll bitch about "being thrown out like trash." He will have had the chance to stay on a restructured deal where he'd likely get the money up front and/or later in a signing bonus that's spread out over a couple of seasons. But if he gets cut, it will be his fault for not wanting to be more flexible.

Only the prorated amount goes against the cap for that year. That's why teams restructure in the first place...if it all counted against the cap at once, there'd be no point in doing it. Wouldn't save you any money.

Again, you are treating the words "restructure" and "pay cut" as if they meant the same thing. They do not, as zulater already pointed out. They are completely different things.

fansince'76
02-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Apparently, he has agreed to restructure:

Willie Colon restructures - saves Steelers $2.85 million (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/2/21/2814170/steelers-2012-salary-cap-contract-restructure-pay-cut-willie-colon)

zulater
02-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Apparently, he has agreed to restructure:

Willie Colon restructures - saves Steelers $2.85 million (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/2/21/2814170/steelers-2012-salary-cap-contract-restructure-pay-cut-willie-colon)

That prick! They should cut him! :upyours:

Oh wait, what's that? :doh2:

:wink02: :lol:

zulater
02-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Where's the pat yourself on the back emotcon at? :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-21-2012, 11:26 AM
The Colon haters will now have to turn their attention to villifying Kemoeatu or Jon Scott........OR BOTH.

Pouncey, Colon, Gilbert is not that bad of a core of O linemen to start with. I still like putting Colon at RG and Jon Scott at RT, then draft an OG and its a much better unit.

zulater
02-21-2012, 11:30 AM
The Colon haters will now have to turn their attention to villifying Kemoeatu or Jon Scott........OR BOTH.

Pouncey, Colon, Gilbert is not that bad of a core of O linemen to start with. I still like putting Colon at RG and Jon Scott at RT, then draft an OG and its a much better unit.

I've heard Colon on Sirius NFL radio, and it comes through loud and clear this guy wants to be a lifetime Steeler. I had every confidence that if he was given a fair offer he would help the Steelers out the best he could.

fansince'76
02-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Where's the pat yourself on the back emotcon at? :chuckle:

http://www.clipartguide.com/_named_clipart_images/0511-1001-2519-1742_Girl_Getting_a_Pat_on_the_Back_for_a_Job_Well _Done_clipart_image.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BigNastyDefense
02-21-2012, 11:47 AM

I would rather leave Colon at RT and just cut Jon Scott. I don't have any faith in Scott whatsoever and would rather cut him. If we have to keep him, it's for depth only and he would only be in on short yardage situations as long as Colon can stay healthy. I don't trust Scott to start.

Now a line with Gilbert at LT, Pouncey at C, and Colon at RT isn't all that bad especially if we can draft a guard in the first round. I just hope Colon can stay healthy and return to his prior form before losing two seasons to injury.

As for Kemoeatu, the guy is an idiot and needs to be cut this offseason. He's got the physical ability to be a very good guard, but he doesn't have the mental ability to not commit dumb penalties.

tube517
02-21-2012, 01:42 PM
I've heard Colon on Sirius NFL radio, and it comes through loud and clear this guy wants to be a lifetime Steeler on injured reserve. I had every confidence that if he was given a fair offer he would help the Steelers out the best he could.

Fixed it for ya! :chuckle:

polamalubeast
02-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Thank you!

polamalubeast
02-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Next,Ben?,Harrison?,Polamalu?

suitanim
02-21-2012, 04:19 PM
All "capology" aside, will Colon be 100% now? He's torn an Achilles and a triceps. Both are nasty injuries. I always thought he was pretty solid at RG and RT. I hope he can come back. It will help a lot.

86WARD
02-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Rather have Colon than Scott...even with the injuries...lol.

Count Steeler
02-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks Willie. Hope you are all healed up for the coming season.

steelerdude15
02-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Just cut him....

SteelGhost
02-21-2012, 07:30 PM
All "capology" aside, will Colon be 100% now? He's torn an Achilles and a triceps. Both are nasty injuries. I always thought he was pretty solid at RG and RT. I hope he can come back. It will help a lot.

That's my concern too, if he accepts a pay cut BUT doesn't play decently (IF HEALTHY) it's a waste of a roster spot, IMHO

Psycho Ward 86
02-21-2012, 09:31 PM
LOL La Canfora fails once. And way to go Colon, thanks for doing this

steelreserve
02-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Good, I'm glad they were all able to figure out the smart way to do it.

And now that you're getting your $5M, Willie, time to show you were worth it.

Austin87
02-22-2012, 05:14 AM
Way to go!

XxKnightxX
02-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Different situation. Ward's well past his prime. If Colon can escape the injury bug, he's an above average offensive tackle who figures to false start for the Steelers for several more seasons.

Fixed it for ya !

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-22-2012, 03:11 PM

I wasnt as worried about the triceps as the Achilles injury, but it sounds as though a lot of the modern techniques of dealing with Achilles ruptures can be quite successful. I think he is gonna be OK.

I still wish they put him inside at guard and tried him out in camp there at least. I dont think he is much better than Jon Scott at RT, if at all.

tube517
02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Different situation. Ward's well past his prime. If Colon can escape the injury bug, he's an above average offensive tackle who figures to false start for the Steelers for several more seasons.

Fixed it for ya !

:rofl: