PDA

View Full Version : Casserly mock draft

polamalubeast
02-15-2012, 03:29 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/charley-casserly/85000?module=HP11_cp

suitanim
02-16-2012, 05:19 AM
Interesting. Why would the Browns take Blackmon, who a lot of people are questioning, when they could tender an offer for Wallace?

I see a lot of mocks with the Cards taking Adams.

SteelMember
02-16-2012, 11:41 AM
I'd prefer Barron or Hightower in that scenerio. Maybe even Konz.

I guess I'm just not sold on Glenn at this spot, although he does have tackle/guard flexibility. To me, that can imply your not quite good enough to be a tackle. :noidea:

Texasteel
02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm one of the few here that do like Glenn. ( I do like Konz, and Zielter more ) What has bothered me recently is the talk about him already gaining weight. He can get a little lazy ( at times ) and start playing high depending on his strength. If he comes into the combines over weight, the lazyness may have transfured to his fittness, and we don't need that.

Steeldude
02-18-2012, 08:44 AM
The Redskins are morons if they waste their pick on Griffin. When will teams learn that running QBs don't work in the NFL?

polamalubeast
02-18-2012, 08:51 AM
The Redskins are morons if they waste their pick on Griffin. When will teams learn that running QBs don't work in the NFL?

cam newton is not agree

Steeldude
02-18-2012, 09:17 AM
What has Newton done? Perhaps he will be the exception, but I doubt it. I'll take a passing QB over a running QB every time.

ShutDown24
02-18-2012, 09:25 AM
What has Newton done? Perhaps he will be the exception, but I doubt it. I'll take a passing QB over a running QB every time.

Griffin is one of the better pure passers coming out. If he was a statue he'd still be a day 1 pick. His mobility is just a plus.

Steeltreal
02-18-2012, 11:35 AM
At one point Griffin had more TDs than in-completions. Hes a QB period

ShutDown24
02-18-2012, 11:48 AM

72 comp.%. 37 TDs to only 6 INTs. Over 4200 yards passing. That's unreal. Like I said, his mobility is just a bonus.

The only knock I have found on Griffin is that he is a little shorter than you want, but that is really nit-picking. The guy is an amazing QB prospect.

Bluecoat96
02-18-2012, 11:55 AM

He's also a freaking genius from what I understand. Finished his degree in 3 total years (Political science), and I believe will come to the draft very close to finishing his master's. As of Jan 1, he was only 12 credits shy from his master's degree.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7410307/heisman-winner-robert-griffin-iii-baylor-bears-enter-nfl-draft-sources-say

Griffin III already has his bachelor's degree -- he graduated in December 2010 with a degree in political science -- and his father said he has considered staying at Baylor to complete his master's.

"He actually has made a strong case to return because he's only 12 hours short of his master's, but he believes he can still accomplish that goal," Griffin II said.

Steeldude
02-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Griffin is one of the better pure passers coming out. If he was a statue he'd still be a day 1 pick. His mobility is just a plus.

He ran a spread option. Spread option QBs have a high failure rate in the NFL. Griffin will have to learn to make multiple reads and take snaps from under the center. In college he didn't make many adjustments at the line of scrimmage or make many pre-snap reads to take advantage of defensive assignments. He is a project. Despite his stats, due to the system, he is 23-18 as a starter. Are his stats a product of the system? Many QBs obtained unreal stats in college, but became very mortal when arriving to the pros.

IMO, picking him the 2nd pick of the draft is a bad decision. He will command a huge contract while he tries to learn how to play in a pro-style offense. Griffin's hype reminds me of the hype when Vince Young entered the draft.

ShutDown24
02-19-2012, 07:15 AM
He ran a spread option. Spread option QBs have a high failure rate in the NFL. Griffin will have to learn to make multiple reads and take snaps from under the center. In college he didn't make many adjustments at the line of scrimmage or make many pre-snap reads to take advantage of defensive assignments. He is a project. Despite his stats, due to the system, he is 23-18 as a starter. Are his stats a product of the system? Many QBs obtained unreal stats in college, but became very mortal when arriving to the pros.

IMO, picking him the 2nd pick of the draft is a bad decision. He will command a huge contract while he tries to learn how to play in a pro-style offense. Griffin's hype reminds me of the hype when Vince Young entered the draft.

Griffin is head and shoulders above where Young ever was as a prospect.

Saying he is a system quarterback is ridiculous. His stats are because of the system? Are you kidding me? Baylor's offensive line was horrendous this past season. Griffin had all of about 1.2 seconds of comfort in the pocket on most downs. I watched an hour of the player just last night. He can make every throw. His arm is even better than I remembered. It's easy to say he "played in a spread, it was just the system" but that just isn't the case. Griffin made plays with his arm when the "system" broke down. And it broke down frequently. When he actually did have some time in the pocket, he made progressions and fired strikes. If you don't like the player, that's fine; I would have some worries with taking Griffin at number two as well if I were a team. But don't cite the "system" as a reason for his success when that's nowhere near accurate.

Steeldude
02-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Saying he is a system quarterback is ridiculous
But don't cite the "system" as a reason for his success when that's nowhere near accurate

Why? Do you think he would put those numbers up if he wasn't playing in a spread?

When he actually did have some time in the pocket, he made progressions and fired strikes

His college reads were from the spread offense where he didn't have to go through a natural progression.

Griffin reminds me of Dennis Dixon. IMO, Griffin is a project that will fail in the pros.

ShutDown24
02-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Why? Do you think he would put those numbers up if he wasn't playing in a spread?

Absolutely. He could have been just as successful in a pro style offense. Sure he probably would have passed for 3200 yards instead of 4200, due to pass/run being more balanced - but that's insignificant. His comp %. and TD/INT ratio are what is important. That's what is so enticing about Griffin, not the yards. Arm strength + accuracy + brains = a good quarterback. And putting him under center doesn't change that equation.

His college reads were from the spread offense where he didn't have to go through a natural progression.

His progressions were fine. When the first option wasn't there he looked to the second, third, fourth - then ran.

Griffin reminds me of Dennis Dixon. IMO, Griffin is a project that will fail in the pros.

First he reminds you of Vince Young, then he reminds you of Dennis Dixon. Why? Because he is black and can run? You need to eliminate the mobility aspect of quarterbacks when evaluating them. His release and delivery style much more closely resemble Rex Grossman.

Steeldude
02-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Absolutely. He could have been just as successful in a pro style offense. Sure he probably would have passed for 3200 yards instead of 4200, due to pass/run being more balanced - but that's insignificant. His comp %. and TD/INT ratio are what is important. That's what is so enticing about Griffin, not the yards. Arm strength + accuracy + brains = a good quarterback. And putting him under center doesn't change that equation.

His progressions were fine. When the first option wasn't there he looked to the second, third, fourth - then ran.

First he reminds you of Vince Young, then he reminds you of Dennis Dixon. Why? Because he is black and can run? You need to eliminate the mobility aspect of quarterbacks when evaluating them. His release and delivery style much more closely resemble Rex Grossman.

Because they were both over-hyped, spread offense QBs who have failed in the NFL....so far. I just remembered Dixon while I was reading up on Griffin. What does race have to do with a player's ability? Why is race almost always brought up when discussing QBs who happen to be black? I didn't like Klingler, Couch, Jason White or Dee Dowis coming out of college either. Each was a product of their system. When I watch various videos of Griffin I do not seem him looking at 2nd, 3rd or 4th options. I see him look at his primary and then run if the primary is covered. Griffin has work to do when he gets to the pros.

We will see how accurate he is in a pro-style offense. Vince Young was quite accurate in college, as was Dixon. Neither of them can hit the side of a barn in the pros. In college, Dixon had a strong arm, accuracy and brains(at least according to the Wonderlic and GPA). Although his GPA was only a 3.27 compared to Griffin's 3.69. Brains in the class room don't always follow onto the field and vice versa. Don't most spread QBs have a good TD/INT ratio along with a good accuracy %?

Ok, I'll ignore his running ability, but he still a spread QB who took snaps from shotgun only and rarely had to make many reads. Jason White played in a spread. White was a horrible runner, but a prolific passer.

If you believe Griffin to be QB who will produce in any system then why wouldn't you take him with the second pick?

We both have our opinions on Griffin. I guess we won't know for sure until he starts playing in the NFL.

polamalubeast
02-19-2012, 05:23 PM

In 2010, the Panthers had the worst offense in the NFL.

In 2011 with Cam Newton, the Panthers have finished 5th in points scored!... A QB can be incredible even if he runs!

Steeldude
02-19-2012, 05:44 PM
In 2010, the Panthers had the worst offense in the NFL.

In 2011 with Cam Newton, the Panthers have finished 5th in points scored!... A QB can be incredible even if he runs!

As of now, the jury is still out on Newton.

ShutDown24
02-19-2012, 11:31 PM
If you believe Griffin to be QB who will produce in any system then why wouldn't you take him with the second pick?

I never said "I wouldn't" take Griffin, I said I would have my concerns with it. The same can be said with every player on the board. I also believe Brandon Weeden can produce in any system. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be hesitant to select him at #2.

With the pressure Griffin faced, particularly this past season, tell me why it matters that he took most of his snaps out of the shotgun? You are taking the easy way out by saying his success is due to the system. It just isn't true.

Steeldude
02-20-2012, 03:05 AM
I never said "I wouldn't" take Griffin, I said I would have my concerns with it. The same can be said with every player on the board. I also believe Brandon Weeden can produce in any system. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be hesitant to select him at #2.

With the pressure Griffin faced, particularly this past season, tell me why it matters that he took most of his snaps out of the shotgun? You are taking the easy way out by saying his success is due to the system. It just isn't true.

What would your concerns be? You say he has the arm, accuracy, intelligence and can play well in any system.

tell me why it matters that he took most of his snaps out of the shotgun

Because he will go into the pros without any experience in a pro-style offense. He will also have to work under the center. This is why these are always concerns with NFL teams when they are selecting QBs from spread offenses, especially athletic QBs. Griffin must learn how to drop back from under center(3, 5 and 7-step drops), read coverages from under center, make pre-snap assessments from under center.

I don't understand what you mean by taking the easy way out. An opinion is an opinion. Why are scouts/coaches concerned about his footwork and rawness? Are they taking the easy way out? It's common knowledge that spread QBs like Griffin etc... often struggle in the pros. There are far more too many who fail than succeed in the NFL. I really can't think of any running-type QBs who have succeeded in the pros. Griffin hasn't shown he can play in the pocket from a pro-set yet.

We will have to wait and see. Perhaps he will have some highlights, but in the end I see him ending up being another over-hyped, running QB who failed in the pros.