PDA

View Full Version : Steelers GM Kevin Colbert Says Hire Of Todd Haley Was Sole decision of Tomlin

polamalubeast
02-15-2012, 11:01 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/steelers-gm-kevin-colbert-says-hire-of-todd-haley-was-sole-decision-of-mike-tomlin/

suitanim
02-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Well, now everyone will know who to blame when we don't score 50 points a game and aren't number 1 in every offensive category.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2012, 11:18 AM
But what did he say about who's decision it was to "retire" Arians?? That is the real question that enquiriing minds want to know. :lol:

zulater
02-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Well, now everyone will know who to blame when we don't score 50 points a game and aren't number 1 in every offensive category.

Or to give credit to when the offense improves as per expectations.

Again when Whisenhunt was OC I heard very few complaints.

suitanim
02-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Whis also passed the ball too much (that complaint some people will make about ANY OC who calls plays in Pittsburgh). He ran too many gadget plays. I remember one game he ran a reverse on the goalline. I thought several members of the board I was on back then were going to have head explosions.

It's like a pastime all in itself criticizing the Steelers OC.

Iron Steeler
02-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Boooom KC just dropped the bomb on the media. Now they can't say its the rooneys meddling with the team and going over the coaches head.

Steeldude
02-15-2012, 12:54 PM
What's the Arians Lovers next excuse for the dismissal of the ineffective Arians?

Bluecoat96
02-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Boooom KC just dropped the bomb on the media. Now they can't say its the rooneys meddling with the team and going over the coaches head.

What do you mean?

SMR
02-15-2012, 05:00 PM
What do you mean?

I think Iron Steeler simply meant that it was NOT the Rooneys interfering or bypassing Coach Tomlin on hiring Haley. It was Tomlin who really did want Haley. I saw the video of Haley's Press Conference, and Tomlin was literally beaming from ear to ear at the conclusion of Haley's speech as they shook hands. He looked even giddy IMO. I thought it was awesome seeing Tomlin's expression.

SteelGhost
02-15-2012, 05:17 PM
http://media.knoxnews.com/media/img/photos/2012/02/09/media_3b1add2ac8ae438b83400f3e58c77374_t160.jpg

This handshake SMR ? :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2012, 05:29 PM
http://media.knoxnews.com/media/img/photos/2012/02/09/media_3b1add2ac8ae438b83400f3e58c77374_t160.jpg

This handshake SMR ? :chuckle: I think its all fake. Tomlin is still probably upset that Rooney got rid of his old Coordinator and planning his revenge.

O'Malley
02-15-2012, 05:34 PM
It's going to be a mutiny...
I can see it now Tomlin is in cahoots with Haley, drawing up plays to hurt the Rooney's.. Buttonhook to the Owners box. Running plays to the Steelers side line directed at ARII when he is on the sideline.. Boy it's going to be interesting to say the least!

O'Malley
02-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Or they have been thinking of doing this for a couple years and finally had the opportunity to do it. I don't care how many yards you pile up in a season if you can't score.. 21st in scoring last year is hardly the standard!!!!

Count Steeler
02-15-2012, 05:56 PM
We are the fans. We are the armchair quarterbacks. Of course we think we know better and could the run the team so that it would win an SB every year. After all, we can all do it on Madden.

BigNastyDefense
02-15-2012, 06:18 PM
We are the fans. We are the armchair quarterbacks. Of course we think we know better and could the run the team so that it would win an SB every year. After all, we can all do it on Madden.

:sarcasm:

I have never lost a game on Madden or NCAA football! I could win a NC every year with the Ohio State Buckeyes and the Super Bowl every year with the Steelers! How do I know this? I can do it on a video game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelGhost
02-15-2012, 06:30 PM
I think its all fake. Tomlin is still probably upset that Rooney got rid of his old Coordinator and planning his revenge.

But....the Rooneys are cheap :lol:

GBMelBlount
02-15-2012, 07:03 PM

Even with a top 5 quarterback and top 5 receiving corps I would imagine most on here would have been happy with a top 12 scoring offense.

I don't think that is unreasonable.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Even with a top 5 quarterback and top 5 receiving corps I would imagine most on here would have been happy with a top 12 scoring offense.

But its not the coach's fault. Its player execution as to why the offense isnt top 12 in scoring.

Now if a new Coordinator produces a top 12 scoring offense with that talent, its just going to be that the players executed better for him. I can hear it already. :cry02:

polamalubeast
02-15-2012, 07:29 PM

The rank of the offense or defense, I do not care.The important thing is the number of wins and be at his best in the playoffs.

The Giants have finished 25th in points allowed, but in their last 6 games, they give only 84 points in 6 games.

Butch
02-15-2012, 07:35 PM

I'm with ya' on this one. I loved the gadget plays because they worked and he knew when to call them.

Psycho Ward 86
02-15-2012, 07:45 PM

you're false hyperboles aren't going to bring Arians back sorry :)

SMR
02-15-2012, 07:55 PM

This handshake SMR ? :chuckle:

LOL. Actually, you can see it more in the video. That pic does NOT do it justice. lol

GBMelBlount
02-15-2012, 10:17 PM
polamalubeast

The rank of the offense or defense, I do not care. The important thing is the number of wins and be at his best in the playoffs.

So if the number of wins is all that matters to you....does the fact that the low scoring offense may have affected the number of wins and not being at our best in the playoffs, not matter to you? :noidea:

Chidi29
02-15-2012, 11:05 PM
And that's the way it should be. Tomlin should have the ability to hire/fire his own staff. Somehow, that appears to have been thrown to the wayside when it came to Bruce Arians.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2012, 12:47 AM
And that's the way it should be. Tomlin should have the ability to hire/fire his own staff. Somehow, that appears to have been thrown to the wayside when it came to Bruce Arians.

Nobody wants to fire a colleague. Rooney ,allegedly, chose to not renew Arians contract because he wasnt willing to accept mediocrity any more. Tomlin was more Arians colleague than his boss.

Anyways, I have to go now, because I spilled some milk and have to ..............:cry02:

Chidi29
02-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Nobody wants to fire a colleague. Rooney ,allegedly, chose to not renew Arians contract because he wasnt willing to accept mediocrity any more. Tomlin was more Arians colleague than his boss.

Anyways, I have to go now, because I spilled some milk and have to ..............:cry02:

Do you think Tomlin was willing to "accept mediocrity"? Why did he want to keep him, as the reports indicate?

suitanim
02-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Do you think Tomlin was willing to "accept mediocrity"? Why did he want to keep him, as the reports indicate?

Yes, that's a completely false meme. In fact, Rooney never gave Arians a reason at all, and by ALL accounts, Rooney was the only entity that wasn't expecting Arians back. The measured, reasonable, logical observation should be, and I quote SHOULD be that he simply wanted a change. I can understand and appreciate that.

The fact is, any guess is mere speculation. I would also add that if Arians is solely responsible for the offenses mediocrity, Pagano is also looking to have a "mediocre" offense. That doesn't track either...

Iron Steeler
02-16-2012, 09:12 PM
I think Iron Steeler simply meant that it was NOT the Rooneys interfering or bypassing Coach Tomlin on hiring Haley. It was Tomlin who really did want Haley. I saw the video of Haley's Press Conference, and Tomlin was literally beaming from ear to ear at the conclusion of Haley's speech as they shook hands. He looked even giddy IMO. I thought it was awesome seeing Tomlin's expression.

Exactly

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2012, 10:29 PM

IF the reports are true, then Tomlin wanted to keep him because he might have thought that they could do better than their 21st ranked scoring offense next year.

You dont know the motivations of Tomlin, I don't know either. The fact is that somebody or group of people in the organization with the power to do so, cut Bruce Arians loose. Apparently, the law of parsimony would lead us to conclude it was because he didnt do his job well enough.

Arians is gone, Haley is in. Those are things we DO know. Colbert says the latter was Tomlins decision. I am good with that......but apparenty some are not.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Pagano is also looking to have a "mediocre" offense. That doesn't track either...

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Congrats to Chuck Pagano and the Colts.

Chidi29
02-16-2012, 11:58 PM
IF the reports are true, then Tomlin wanted to keep him because he might have thought that they could do better than their 21st ranked scoring offense next year.

You dont know the motivations of Tomlin, I don't know either. The fact is that somebody or group of people in the organization with the power to do so, cut Bruce Arians loose. Apparently, the law of parsimony would lead us to conclude it was because he didnt do his job well enough.

Arians is gone, Haley is in. Those are things we DO know. Colbert says the latter was Tomlins decision. I am good with that......but apparenty some are not.

So why did Tomlin reportedly want to keep him? And Colbert nor Rooney have said that it was Tomlin's decision to let him go...they've had ample time to dispute the report.

I trust my head coach on these decisions. He's around Arians as much as anybody, he knows more of the details than Rooney. Rooney obviously should be in the loop and can talk to Tomlin about it at the drop of a hat but ultimately, it's coaches call. Just as it was his call to hire Haley, he should have had the sole ability to keep Arians or not.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2012, 12:13 AM
So why did Tomlin reportedly want to keep him? And Colbert nor Rooney have said that it was Tomlin's decision to let him go...they've had ample time to dispute the report.

I trust my head coach on these decisions. He's around Arians as much as anybody, he knows more of the details than Rooney. Rooney obviously should be in the loop and can talk to Tomlin about it at the drop of a hat but ultimately, it's coaches call. Just as it was his call to hire Haley, he should have had the sole ability to keep Arians or not.

Do you know for sure that Tomlin wanted to keep Arians? Or is it just reported?

Is Bruce Arians a coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers?? Nope......they said "Buh bye" to him and thats all that really matters isnt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnaJDdcNg5Y&feature=related

pepsyman1
02-17-2012, 12:22 AM
None of us really know anything of what happened other than the obvious: the Rooneys didn't believe the offense was performing as well as they thought it should, period. Regardless of whether we did or didn't like Arians as OC, it's now history. Haley is our OC, his track record suggest that he is flexible in how he puts together an offense. We can only hope that he is able to maximize the skill talent we have and put some points on the board.

suitanim
02-17-2012, 05:29 AM
I think the simplest answer is that Rooney just wanted a change.

Chidi29
02-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Do you know for sure that Tomlin wanted to keep Arians? Or is it just reported?

Is Bruce Arians a coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers?? Nope......they said "Buh bye" to him and thats all that really matters isnt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnaJDdcNg5Y&feature=related

No, but by all the reports and the lack of refusal of those reports by Rooney, it seems true. Why do you keep side stepping the question?

fansince'76
02-17-2012, 10:38 AM
I think the simplest answer is that Rooney just wanted a change.

Nonsense!

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/lolkat/lolcatsdotcomiy0hwr7nqv87ch3g.jpg

:chuckle:

suitanim
02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Nonsense!

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/lolkat/lolcatsdotcomiy0hwr7nqv87ch3g.jpg

:chuckle:

Yes...unfortunately, I think some of us forgot to put on our psychotronic mind control blockage units, otherwise known as the tinfoil deflector beanie.