PDA

View Full Version : Why the Haley-Roethlisberger Drama is the Non-Story of the Year

Bluecoat96
02-14-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure where to put this, so feel free to move this wherever mods.

Why the Haley-Roethlisberger Drama is the Non-Story of the Year
After years of tireless work, the Media Industrial Complex has finally turned the sport of Hank Stram and Jack Lambert and Bart Starr into The Real Housebros of the NFL. Every time I turn on NFL Network, I half expect to see Haley in the confessional room sporting blonde extensions and weeping about how devastated he was that Roethlisberger didn’t show up to his charity gala for canine dyslexia.

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/February-2012/Why-the-Haley-Roethlisberger-Drama-is-the-Non-Story-of-the-Year/

fansince'76
02-14-2012, 01:24 PM
"Canine dyslexia." :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

SteelGhost
02-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Looks like this guy ALSO reads this board :lol:

If the Steelers have had one fatal, recurring flaw that’s undermined their supremely talented teams in the post-Cowher era, it’s predictability on offense.

suitanim
02-14-2012, 03:36 PM
If Arians was Ben's friend, why was he trying to get him killed?

This article is simply a polished-up turd. It's what the Arians haters on this board WOULD write if they COULD write. It's what a stupid football fan with a bias would consider genius. It does make some good points, but being clever and witty does not necessarily make up for not knowing exactly what the fuck one is actually SAYING.

Beside all that, it's completely self-contradictory. It's an article saying that the article itself is really important in it's selection of subject matter, but that that same subject matter isn't really that big of a deal.

Psycho Ward 86
02-14-2012, 05:24 PM
If Arians was Ben's friend, why was he trying to get him killed?

This article is simply a polished-up turd. It's what the Arians haters on this board WOULD write if they COULD write. It's what a stupid football fan with a bias would consider genius.

Speaking of football fans with a bias...:)

Count Steeler
02-14-2012, 06:29 PM
And yet the non-story is a story.

Butch
02-14-2012, 07:17 PM
It's what the Arians haters on this board WOULD write if they COULD write

Suitanim...a legend in his own mind.

st33lersguy
02-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Honestly Ben might be uncomfortable with Haley at first because Haley acting like a real boss to him will be a stark contrast to the mutual friendship he had with Arians for 5 years, but if Ben listens to Haley, and Pittsburgh scores 400 points this year, they will be just fine with each other.

Craic
02-14-2012, 11:25 PM
I have to laugh at calling the Steelers "Post Cowher offense" predictable.

How soon we forget Cowher's

1st down run
2nd down run
3rd down pass because we didn't get 7 yards on the first two runs.

Also, as much as I've heard people complain about Arians not calling runs on certain down and distances, how in the world does that square up with being predictable. I'm waiting with baited breath for the "predictable unpredictability that results in a predictable offense" argument.

Mark my words. In seven years, there will be people who are against Arians now, who look back on these teams with fondness. Then, in another 6 or 7 years, they'll do the same with Haley's teams.

It's amazing how a few years will whitewash a memory.

suitanim
02-15-2012, 05:29 AM
Just because an article is well written, doesn't mean the content is any good. I see why the usual suspects climbed on board, but it's really a pretty stupid piece. Again, attack me for delivering the message all you like (I do get a kick out of it), but the message will still be there when you're done.

Bluecoat96
02-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Just because an article is well written, doesn't mean the content is any good. I see why the usual suspects climbed on board, but it's really a pretty stupid piece. Again, attack me for delivering the message all you like (I do get a kick out of it), but the message will still be there when you're done.

Why is it that you seem to think your opinion is correct for the most part, while most of us other folks are wrong? Do you have some sort of insider info that none of us have? Please explain to me why you KNOW you're correct.

suitanim
02-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Why is it that you seem to think your opinion is correct for the most part, while most of us other folks are wrong? Do you have some sort of insider info that none of us have? Please explain to me why you KNOW you're correct.

I have to chuckle...there are 10 posts after the OP in this thread. Outside of my posts, a couple of them have some content, one is just kind of laughing at the language, and three of them are attacking me. NOT the content of my posts, not defending the content of the OP, just attacking me. I attack the author AND his content, and my detractors ignore my content and attack me.

Don't like my opinion? Refute it! I don't have to post like Barney the Dinosaur, and I'm not going to start.

Here, I'll help. This article repeats the false meme that the Steelers are predictable. They were 55 pass/45 run. 12th overall in total yards, 14th in rushing, 10th in passing. Pass too much? We were 19th in the league in attempts per game. We were also 19th in rushing attempts per game. Outside of biased anecdotal excuses from people who don't like Arians, ALL the actual statistical evidence supports the notion that the Steelers were one of the most balanced teams in the NFL. We also ended up in the 4th in the league in 3rd down conversions (46%). How can you call that predictable? I don't care about crap like what formation we ran out of or passed out of, a ton of teams pass out of the shotgun and run empty sets, That's the nature of the game.

In the NFL, you have to be able to pass out of passing formations, and run out of running formations. When Arians did resort to trickery, or running out of a passing formation, or passing out of a running formations, his critics called it "grab-bag". Basically, no matter what he called, if it didn't work 100% of the time, people hated it. That's not a fair evaluation.

This article is crap BECAUSE it perpetrates false myths and makes incorrect assumptions. If you don't like the way I post, whine to the mods. If you have some refutation of the CONTENT of my posts, I'd like to hear it. But please have an informed opinion. The author seems to think that cloaking his opinion in some clever language with a few cultural references means that the content of his opinion is infallible. As Preach correctly pointed out, it certainly is not.

Bluecoat96
02-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Suit- I most certainly don't enjoy the way you post. It strikes me as being condescending to others, and I take issue with that. That being said, you do take the time to look things up, and at least are informed.

My general issue is that the offense seemed to be great between the 20 yard lines, but suffered in what I would think is the most important area- scoring. (21st, as you well know) Is Haley the answer? I don't know. Am I a Arians hater? No way. I do think that the offense underachieved as a whole, but that could be a result of injuries, etc. I am of the thought process of trusting the FO and Coach T to make the right decisions for the team. Nobody here knows how the situation with Arians' retiring/firing went down between the owner and coach, despite the multitude of articles speculating the answer.

I think based on the other thread that Ben is FINALLY seeming to take better care of his body indicates that this whole situation supposedly going on between him and the coaches/owners is going to be less of an issue than the mainstream media would like. At least we're not debating on whether or not we should keep Ben because of an off-field incident.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Haley was brought in to help Roethlisberger extend his career. The two-time Super Bowl winner will only be 30 by the start of training camp, but he has absorbed the punishment of a typical 35-year-old quarterback over the course of eight seasons spent running for his life behind patchwork offensive lines. Consider this: Roethlisberger's peers in the 2004 NFL Draft, Eli Manning and Phil Rivers, have been sacked a total of 194 and 171 times respectively over their careers. Roethlisberger has endured 314 sacks.

Haley wants to keep Roethlisberger in the pocket, where he will ward off pressure with short, efficient strikes instead of his usual madcap escapes to the sidelines.

I am no intellectual giant like some on this board. But how does this guy know what Haley's M.O. (I heard that on TV) is? I agree that this is a non story. Coaching changes happen all the time in the NFL and this will just be another one that the players and coach will have to make work.

Haley has said he is going to keep a lot of the same elements of the current offense and his offense will be all about being successful. I dont see what all the gnashing of teeth is about, the moment that somebody writes an article that points out some potential flaws in the prior offense?

Cheer up people. Have some optimism about our new Offensive Coordinator and QB relationship instead of thinking they will not get along and not be productive.

suitanim
02-15-2012, 11:08 AM
I forgot a couple things:

Steelers were 2nd in TOP in 2011.

Finally, Arians says it best himself: On getting too much of the blame for the disappointing end to the Steelers’ season: “That goes with the territory. Everyone who plays Madden (video game) and fantasy football, they call plays. Offensive coordinators around the league will be the first guys to take the bullet. I kind of like wearing that bull’s-eye. That’s what makes it fun. Whether it is or isn’t, it’s part of the job. When you are calling the plays and there are 65,000 people in the stands, 63,000 are calling plays better than you are. Maybe 2,000 (fans) are calling the defense.”

He only forgot the part about 20/20 hindsight.

tube517
02-15-2012, 11:08 AM
:zzz: Is the draft here yet?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2012, 11:14 AM
My general issue is that the offense seemed to be great between the 20 yard lines, but suffered in what I would think is the most important area- scoring. (21st, as you well know) Is Haley the answer? I don't know. Am I a Arians hater? .

Maybe not a "hater"......possibly a stupid football fan with a bias.

Please note that this is not an ad hominem attack, but just a general statement of a potential theory that people much more intelligent than us could only understand.

suitanim
02-15-2012, 11:45 AM
We've been over this. There are myriad reasons why an NFL offense would move the ball well and break-down in the redzone. Unlike the poster before me, I'll actually put some content in my post, instead of simply being smug and sarcastic:

Lack of TO's. Our average starting position and field position differential was bad. The longer the field to work with, the more opportunities to break-down. NFL defenses are based on creating attrition....the goal is to make offenses execute play-after-play-after-play. The percentages of scoring drop precipitously if you start your drives inside your own 20. Our starting field position was generally bad...so by time we reached the endzone we were breaking down.

It also cannot be overlooked that we still have the worst OL in the NFL. That hindered our ability to line-up and smash the ball into the EZ. If teams don't have to respect your running game, it shuts down being able to work the pass off of that.

Also, as Chidi has pointed out, our redzone scoring got worse as the injuries piled up. It was clicking for about 25 PPG in the middle of the season. Add in the fact that we played especially bad on the road.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Thank you, being that I am just a guy that coaches some youth football, I am so blessed to hear from people that KNOW what goes on in the NFL rather than some stupid football fans with bias that cannot write.

suitanim
02-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Thank you, being that I am just a guy that coaches some youth football, I am so blessed to hear from people that KNOW what goes on in the NFL rather than some stupid football fans with bias that cannot write.

That's two posts in a row where you've had zero content. When some people do that, it's called flame baiting...

O'Malley
02-15-2012, 02:30 PM
That's two posts in a row where you've had zero content. When some people do that, it's called flame baiting...

:fish2::flame:or :flame::jerkit: Just :ball: ?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2012, 02:43 PM

I am not aware of this term "flame baiting". Thank you for again educating me further. This will be my last post here, so you CAN have the last word.

I do recall Fansince'76 refer to you "baiting" some poster back in the day on another board. Is that what you are referring to?

It's no secret that the two of you don't like each other, but he is at least trying to meet you halfway here. So c'mon revs, please quit trying to bait the guy.

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?p=628673

Butch
02-15-2012, 08:27 PM
It's what the Arians haters on this board WOULD write if they COULD write

You write this high handed garbage about fellow posters on this site and then try to claim foul when people call you out on it. You are a real piece of work.

Brucie is out the door like it or lump it but aint a damn thing you can do about it. As for me I'm dancing in the streets.

suitanim
02-16-2012, 05:34 AM
You write this high handed garbage about fellow posters on this site and then try to claim foul when people call you out on it. You are a real piece of work.

Brucie is out the door like it or lump it but aint a damn thing you can do about it. As for me I'm dancing in the streets.

I attacked he guy for writing a POS article with a flawed premise and made-up information that he could not possibly know, and then went on to explain WHY it was a POS. Some took offense because they enjoy any attack on Arians, factual or not, and didn't care for me attacking the same stupid arguments that they've been making. That's fine. Please note, a stupid post or stupid point does not mean the poster is being CALLED stupid. It's only personal if you take it that way.

The difference is, I attacked the content. I actually credited the dude for being a good writer.

THEN I got all kinds of non-content crap hurled back at me...which I have been "scolded" for doing in the past (so I'm trying to stop). Gonzo is so desperate to prove some point, he had to dig out shit from 2 1/2 years ago (Which I have also been reprimanded for doing even when it was a more valid and relevant reference), then, like a whining petulant child, pulled out the "I'm gonna take my ball and go home". I'm just trying to keep it a level playing field.

"High-handed garbage" is nice. Which part was garbage? That would mean you'd need to include CONTENT, not just an attack. See how that works?

Steeldude
02-16-2012, 08:02 AM

Yep, that about sums it up

X-Terminator
02-16-2012, 08:20 AM
I am not aware of this term "flame baiting". Thank you for again educating me further. This will be my last post here, so you CAN have the last word.

I do recall Fansince'76 refer to you "baiting" some poster back in the day on another board. Is that what you are referring to?

It's no secret that the two of you don't like each other, but he is at least trying to meet you halfway here. So c'mon revs, please quit trying to bait the guy.

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?p=628673

You've been doing the same thing in multiple posts over several threads, Gonz. You know the saying about two wrongs not making a right? I suggest you heed it.

And Suit - we've been over this multiple times in the past. I understand you are blunt, and I can respect that because for the most part I am the same way. But it rubs a lot of people the wrong way, so I'm asking you again to take it down a notch.

Overall, this argument has become circular, and at this point there isn't anything else that needs to be said. As Butch said, Arians is gone whether any of us likes it or not, and it's time to get behind Haley and hope he is able to work with Ben and the rest of the offense to make the necessary improvements on the 20.3 PPG they scored last season.

suitanim
02-16-2012, 09:00 AM
That's cool.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2012, 09:28 AM
You've been doing the same thing in multiple posts over several threads, Gonz. You know the saying about two wrongs not making a right? I suggest you heed it.

Not doing anything wrong, just reiterating some of the wonderful comments that some posters make on this board. It seems strange to me that I am now warned for reiterating them, yet they were deemed fine when originally posted.

I have not made any ad hominem attacks in the recent flurry of posts, that isnt my style. Again, I find it amusing that the posters that normally deflect the topic by saying ad hominem attacks are being launched at them, are the ones attempting to discredit me and not any opinion.

peace out X-T. :wave:

suitanim
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Not doing anything wrong, just reiterating some of the wonderful comments that some posters make on this board. It seems strange to me that I am now warned for reiterating them, yet they were deemed fine when originally posted.

I have not made any ad hominem attacks in the recent flurry of posts, that isnt my style. Again, I find it amusing that the posters that normally deflect the topic by saying ad hominem attacks are being launched at them, are the ones attempting to discredit me and not any opinion.

peace out X-T. :wave:

LOL. Attacking the poster instead of the post can be done in several ways. Just because you aren't as neanderthal in your approach as some, doesn't mean you're not doing it. I don't even really care, since I'm not on here to swap spit with people and sing Kumbaya, but I do have to point out hypocrisy when I see it. I mostly find people bellyaching about me amusing anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Do you understand what "deflection" is? It's NOT posting some content up that backs up your point, no matter how incendiary it may be, it's much more like simply posting up sarcastic musings that have little or nothing to do with any of the substance being discussed. When I tell you you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, I also tell you exactly WHY I think you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You just make cute and smug little dismissive sarcastic quips. Half the posts in this thread are people telling me I'm wrong or rude or condescending, but there's almost nothing in any of them that says why they think that. Surely you can tell the difference...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Revs, I try to let you have the last word and then you again use an ad hom attack by implying that I am childish by "taking my ball and go home". You attempt to insult me by calling me a whining child, yet cant see the irony, in that your posts regarding the Arians situation come off as whinig and childish.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I know what you are doing, I know that you are not here to make friends and "sing Kumbaya". I think most of the posters on the board know that is the opposite. Please, continue to hurl your insults at me and attempt to bait me into some vile response...... I havent done that since I first joined up some 5 years ago .------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This time, I am done with this thread. Have your response and have your last word.