PDA

View Full Version : Heartfelt decisions await Steelers

Galax Steeler
02-14-2012, 04:01 AM
The NFL season may be over but the season for making news just won't let up for the Steelers.

General manager Kevin Colbert said he is not counting on halfback Rashard Mendenhall being able to play in 2012 because of his ACL surgery, and it appears they will not sign any of their own pending free agents before they hit the open market March 13.

Those revelations were among a handful Colbert delivered Monday afternoon at the team's facility on the South Side.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12045/1210003-66.stm#ixzz1mLhCakEC

tube517
02-14-2012, 10:37 AM
I think we'll be fine at RB but LT is a big concern again. We cannot go on opening day w/Jon Scott as the starter there.

SteelMember
02-14-2012, 10:58 AM
The NFL.com version (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826ed5ed/article/steelers-gm-colbert-sees-serious-salarycap-problems?module=HP11_headline_stack) of this story...

Colbert said Monday that Mendenhall likely will begin next season on the physically unable to perform list after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during the regular-season finale against the Cleveland Browns.

They must be holding out a little hope if they go the PUP route instead if IR'ing him. Then again, it doesn't seem like any two media outlets get a match on a quote as of late.

BlastFurnace
02-14-2012, 11:28 AM
I think we'll be fine at RB but LT is a big concern again. We cannot go on opening day w/Jon Scott as the starter there.

I think the plan is to put Gilbert there, but I thought that I remember hearing that his feet aren't quick enough to play that side.

It's really a shame that Max tore his ACL. He would have atleast got us through next season.

This kind of reminds me of the 1980 season with the amount of old vets nearing the end. This time around, I hope the team does the right thing and doesn't keep guys around too long.

Iron Steeler
02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Honestly I feel the rb position is no longer going to be first round value do to this new pass happy league. Second we don't need a rb. Most of the focus should be on the oline and dline this year. I don't know about you but I think this could be the year finally fix our offensive line problem. All the signs show it... rooneys hiring a new offense coordinator and saying we need to tweak his game. To me it sounds like they want him protected better and making quicker reads.

Im actually really excited for us in 2012.

O'Malley
02-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Honestly I feel the rb position is no longer going to be first round value do to this new pass happy league. Second we don't need a rb. Most of the focus should be on the oline and dline this year. I don't know about you but I think this could be the year finally fix our offensive line problem. All the signs show it... rooneys hiring a new offense coordinator and saying we need to tweak his game. To me it sounds like they want him protected better and making quicker reads.

This^ nice post!

suitanim
02-14-2012, 03:38 PM

The Saints, who throw like 40% of their passes to their RB's, might disagree.

Devilsdancefloor
02-14-2012, 03:53 PM
I think the plan is to put Gilbert there, but I thought that I remember hearing that his feet aren't quick enough to play that side.

It's really a shame that Max tore his ACL. He would have atleast got us through next season.

This kind of reminds me of the 1980 season with the amount of old vets nearing the end. This time around, I hope the team does the right thing and doesn't keep guys around too long.

yes it does. i just hope we do the right thing. i think gilbert would do fine on the left side

ALLD
02-14-2012, 06:15 PM
We need priority help on the lines, otherwise the QB will not be upright long enough to pass and the RBs will not have any place to run.

Steeldude
02-14-2012, 06:31 PM
The Saints, who throw like 40% of their passes to their RB's, might disagree.

Scatbacks are a dime-a-dozen