PDA

View Full Version : Putting Franchise Tag On Mike Wallace Makes Most Sense For The Steelers

polamalubeast
02-13-2012, 02:35 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/putting_franchise_tag_on_mike_wallace_makes_most_s ense_for_the_steelers/9903211

polamalubeast
02-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Re-signing Wallace to a long-term deal is the Steelers' top offseason priority after they get their salary cap in shape. Franchising Wallace could at least buy time until an extension is struck. The wide receiver franchise tag will cost roughly $9.6 million. It would also prevent any teams from trying to sign Wallace away. The Steelers wouldn't have that same protection if they only extended Wallace a first-round restricted tender

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5329&line=227790&spln=1

ALLD
02-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Franchising makes the most sense because even if you get compensated a 1st round pick, there is no guarantee he will be as an impact player as Wallace. But Wallace needs to find a way to get open better for a long term deal.

polamalubeast
02-13-2012, 10:29 PM
I'll be devastated if the steelers are not able to keep Wallace.

it would be a terrible feeling

Chidi29
02-13-2012, 10:36 PM
I'd restrict him. You can put the highest tender on Wallace and still have a good chance of keeping him, even if the 1st/3rd tender is gone. Even if someone makes an offer (how often has that happened to high profile players in the past five seasons?) you can match it.

polamalubeast
02-13-2012, 10:43 PM
The tender is only a first round pick now.

I hope that the Steelers will be able to put Wallace on the TAG, otherwise he has a good chance that the patriots made a offer to Wallace, which would be the worst possible nightmare for the steelers.

Chidi29
02-13-2012, 10:46 PM

I hope that the Steelers will be able to put Wallace on the TAG, otherwise he has a good chance that the patriots made a offer to Wallace, which would be the worst possible nightmare for the steelers.

What team in recent history has made an offer on any player who got a 1st round tender? If we're so cap strapped, being able to save 6-7 million is huge.

polamalubeast
02-13-2012, 11:07 PM
What team in recent history has made an offer on any player who got a 1st round tender? If we're so cap strapped, being able to save 6-7 million is huge.

I hope you're right!

Since losing our best playmaker would a terrible nightmare for the steelers, especially if it's against the first round pick(31th) of the patriots.

JayC
02-14-2012, 12:05 AM
every time someone starts talking about tenders it makes me hungry :cry02:

Aussie_steeler
02-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Dont rule out the Pats having a run at Mike Wallace. (they have 4 picks in the first two rounds and a less than perfect track record in converting draft picks into proven performers)

They have gone this pathway before with Wes Welker.

Wallace would cost them the #31 pick -( tell me what receiver in the draft would be available at that pick and have a greater immediate impact on a roster than Wallace)

Dont kid yourself if you think Wallace is perfectly safe if he signs the highest tender.

I still believe that if you sign such a player to a RFA tender then a little bit of you is prepared for the chance that you may well lose the bidding war.

The Duke
02-14-2012, 07:04 AM
I hope you're right!

Since losing our best playmaker would a terrible nightmare for the steelers, especially if it's against the first round pick(31th) of the patriots.

players come and players go. We wouldn't die because of one player

that said, there's literally no chance he leaves this season

steelerdude15
02-14-2012, 08:41 AM
I don't understand why everyone thinks he's leaving. The Steelers and Mikey will be or are currently working on a long term contract. He'll be a Steeler for years to come. Why waste the tag on him if they're working on a contract when they could use it on someone else if needed?

suitanim
02-14-2012, 08:51 AM
If he goes, it will most likely be to the Browns. They are a division rival and have been stung by Wallace before, so they are very cognizant of what they'd be getting. They are desperate for weapons. This would be a double victory for them: 1. It shores up their deplorable WR unit and B) It depletes ours

They also have over 20 million in cap room.

The Duke
02-14-2012, 10:05 AM
If he goes, it will most likely be to the Browns. They are a division rival and have been stung by Wallace before, so they are very cognizant of what they'd be getting. They are desperate for weapons. This would be a double victory for them: 1. It shores up their deplorable WR unit and B) It depletes ours

They also have over 20 million in cap room.

Such a perfect scenario. It's almost funny to think how the browns could screw this one up

suitanim
02-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Such a perfect scenario. It's almost funny to think how the browns could screw this one up

Their FO is better than it used to be. It's within the realm of possibility this year...anyway, all it really means is that we need to, as an organization, really put an emphasis on keeping Wallace. Yes, his productivity dropped a tad as the season went on, but there are a lot of reasons for that. The LAST thing I think any of us want to see is Wallace lining up one-on-one across from Ike, or, worse yet, William Gay.

Bluecoat96
02-14-2012, 10:13 AM

This is the Browns we're talking about. They can screw just about anything up.

Pristas
02-14-2012, 10:53 AM
This year is deep at WR options. And we need lineman - BAD. I say trade him away to the biggest bidder for early round picks. Keep Ward at a reduced rate to stay on and bring up a couple late round WR picks. Brown, Cotchery, Ward, and new money part II. Thanks for the good times Wallace, and for the record, he never really became more than a one trick pony. Sure, he drew double coverage after he blew it up the first half of the year, but the second half of his season was playing second fiddle to Brown (our most talented receiver).

suitanim
02-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Ben, Ward, Mendy, and now Wallace.

There's not room much left under the bus all these dudes have been thrown under!

steelerdude15
02-14-2012, 11:21 AM
:rolleyes: At trading our best WR.

Pristas
02-14-2012, 02:04 PM
:rolleyes: At trading our best WR.

Sorry, but Brown has better hands. We are so deep at WR, why not trade him to take care of the o-line? I'm looking at this from a business standpoint. The best o lineman we had over the last 14 years were all 1st round picks. Pouncey, Simmons, and Faneca. To think that Colbert and company couldn't fix the front line in 2012 with two first rounders is ridiculous. Look at the overwhelming need here. We also have lost Starks. Kemo is probably gone. That leaves Gilbert, Legursky and Gilbert.

Pristas
02-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Ben, Ward, Mendy, and now Wallace.

There's not room much left under the bus all these dudes have been thrown under!

Keep Ben, keep Ward (to train the young guns) and let him retire in another year a Steeler, Mendy is out for next season so there is nothing really to discuss until he can run. I'm just asking what is more important... Having a rickety line with 2 elite receivers, or an elite line with one elite receiver? I want another Lombardi, so I pick option B.

Wallace is special, but look at the fact that we have Sanders Brown and Cotchery, plus probably a couple Sanders/Browns late in the draft. And Ward there for another year to mentor. Besides, if Wallace is traded, he will be so rich, he will forget he ever played for the Steelers.

SteelGhost
02-14-2012, 02:44 PM
I hope the FO works a good plan to keep Wallace, I would like to preserve our great WR's TRIO.

polamalubeast
02-14-2012, 03:54 PM
No chance that his is the browns.

The Browns draft 4th and they will not give the 4th choice for Wallace

No chance that his is the browns....NO chance

polamalubeast
02-14-2012, 03:57 PM
The patriots are the biggest threat for Wallace.

I hope the steelers have the money to keep Wallace, otherwise I will be devastated

suitanim
02-14-2012, 04:11 PM
No chance that his is the browns.

The Browns draft 4th and they will not give the 4th choice for Wallace

No chance that his is the browns....NO chance

Wallace is a restricted free agent. That means the Steelers can match the offer, and if they don't, they'll receive draft compensation. And, even if your scenario were in play, the Browns ARE looking at WR. Why roll the dice on one of the more unpredictable positions when they have a sure bet in Wallace?

But with the rampant insanity infecting the board, why listen to me? Here is the Bucs take on this. The author says they would decline...but the Browns may not.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1057360-2012-nfl-free-agency-should-the-buccaneers-go-after-mike-wallace

polamalubeast
02-14-2012, 04:23 PM
I repeat, it is impossible that this is the browns.

Mike Wallace is not worth a 4th overall pick, and even Matt Millen knows. In addition, I believe that Mike Wallace will not want to go with the browns with Colt "no arm" McCoy as QB.

He has no discussion on that.

The patriots are the biggest threat for the steelers

The Duke
02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Don't the browns have 2 first round picks though? Or am I thinking about the bengals?

polamalubeast
02-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Don't the browns have 2 first round picks though? Or am I thinking about the bengals?

The Browns can not use the choice of falcons to make an offer to Wallace.

7willBheaven
02-14-2012, 05:03 PM
I'd restrict him. You can put the highest tender on Wallace and still have a good chance of keeping him, even if the 1st/3rd tender is gone. Even if someone makes an offer (how often has that happened to high profile players in the past five seasons?) you can match it.

Exactly...no way would i franchise him....that'd cost $9-10 mil for ONE season, screw that.

7willBheaven
02-14-2012, 05:03 PM

What is with all this talk of the Patriots taking Wallace...where did this crap start?

fansince'76
02-14-2012, 05:05 PM
What is with all this talk of the Patriots taking Wallace...where did this crap start?

Some Pats fan on Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1055220-new-england-patriots-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-wallace-is-a-realistic-target).

7willBheaven
02-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Both have 2.

polamalubeast
02-14-2012, 05:11 PM
The patriots have no deep threat in their offense and that is why it is not impossible that the patriots made ​​an offer to Wallace

86WARD
02-14-2012, 08:31 PM
The Steelers need to be extremely cautious and careful with how they handle this situation. Franchising him for $9.5M could really fuck them if they don't come to a long term deal...at the same time, this is going to cause a mean ripple effect throughout the team. With Brown and Sanders deals coming up as well, they could really shoot themselves in the foot if it's not handled right. I'm not worried about signing Wallace. I'm more worried on the effect it will have on Brown and Sandwrs. Right now, those two are the only receivers on this roster along with Ward.

If they don't sign Wallace to a long term deal and have him for one year, they could lose him for nothing. No reason at all the Patriots wouldn't give up 31 for him. No reason at all...

Count Steeler
02-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Let's hope Wallace has a distaste for dancing with the devil.

steelerdude15
02-14-2012, 09:49 PM
I still don't see Mikey leaving this team.

tube517
02-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Some Pats fan on Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1055220-new-england-patriots-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-wallace-is-a-realistic-target).

That little weasel on PFT was on NBC Sports network talking about it too.

suitanim
02-15-2012, 05:26 AM
I repeat, it is impossible that this is the browns.

Mike Wallace is not worth a 4th overall pick, and even Matt Millen knows. In addition, I believe that Mike Wallace will not want to go with the browns with Colt "no arm" McCoy as QB.

He has no discussion on that.

The patriots are the biggest threat for the steelers

I completely disagree. They were seriously considering their top pick last year for a WR, and they are probably worse off now than a year ago at the position. Julio Jones and AJ Green were at the top of their board. As I pointed out, Wallace kills two birds with one stone: Helps them and hurts us.

polamalubeast
02-15-2012, 05:32 AM
I completely disagree. They were seriously considering their top pick last year for a WR, and they are probably worse off now than a year ago at the position. Julio Jones and AJ Green were at the top of their board. As I pointed out, Wallace kills two birds with one stone: Helps them and hurts us.

It is very unlikely that it happens

Wallace is not Calvin Johnson.

suitanim
02-15-2012, 05:42 AM
And the move will be more attractive fro them because they would still have another pick in the first rd. They have also stockpiled draft picks by trading down.

I just don't want anyone to be shocked if it happens. Bouchette says he thinks Wallace is gone, and the list of teams who will be interested is not going to be that long.

polamalubeast
02-15-2012, 02:19 PM
James_Pittsburgh: I have to agree with Ed, that no team will give up a first round pick to get Mike Wallace as a restricted free agent. Your thoughts?

Jerry Micco: Agree with that. He's not worth that at this point in his career. And I don't know if the Steelers can sign him long term. I think the money has to be right for that to happen, and I would not guarantee that it is. I know Colbert said they are looking at him long-term, which they should, but I think there's a ceiling on money when you talk about Mike Wallace. He had a steep fall the second half of the 2011 season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12046/1210371-139-0.stm?cmpid=news.xml#ixzz1mU3Pj7du

BlastFurnace
02-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Since Heinz Field opened, I can't think of a young FA that the Steelers have lost that they "wanted" to keep.

We will see how this plays out....

ALLD
02-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Brown passed Wallace this season with his clutch hands whether anybody wants to admit it or not. Personally, if I was a cheater I would give up a first round pick anyway to pick up Wallace and run him opposite Welker. I just don't know if the cheaters would give up a 1st rd. pick to acquire somebody we picked up in the third as far as the point system is concerned. I have seen the Cowboys do more for less of a player, but that doesn't mean much.

86WARD
02-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Which is why the Steelers can't afford to franchise him...

Count Steeler
02-15-2012, 05:50 PM
The FO certainly has some decisions to make. Wallace at more than 5-7mil is a bit pricey for a #2 receiver. He will probably attract more in the 8-10mil from other teams. Brown would command the same dollars, but Sanders is not there yet. So if we keep Wallace and have intentions to sign Brown and Sanders, we could be looking at 22-25mil for 3 players at WR. per year. I don't think that is going to happen.

The FO has to decide which WRs it wants to hold onto for the long term AND address some pressing needs in the trenches and at LB. Wallace would certainly attract attention on the trade market. Glad I'm not the GM.

BigNastyDefense
02-15-2012, 06:22 PM
He's a restricted free agent, so he should be able to be kept without a franchise tag. I honestly don't see the Steelers using the tag this season, but if they do I think it would be used on Wallace.

The only way we don't keep Wallace is if there's a poison pill in a contract offer signed by Wallace. I think the Steelers will give him the highest tender (so if we do lose him, that team that gets him gives up their first and third round picks to the Steelers in the draft), and I think he's just going to sign our tender and come back to Pittsburgh and work out a long-term deal and not even go into negotiations with another team.

oneforthetoe
02-15-2012, 07:01 PM
He's a restricted free agent, so he should be able to be kept without a franchise tag. I honestly don't see the Steelers using the tag this season, but if they do I think it would be used on Wallace.

The only way we don't keep Wallace is if there's a poison pill in a contract offer signed by Wallace. I think the Steelers will give him the highest tender (so if we do lose him, that team that gets him gives up their first and third round picks to the Steelers in the draft), and I think he's just going to sign our tender and come back to Pittsburgh and work out a long-term deal and not even go into negotiations with another team.

In the new CBA I believe the third round pick is removed. So, a team would only have to give us a 1st round pick. The Pats have two first round picks. You can bet all the stock that Belecheat owns in Eastman Kodak that the Pats would have no problem giving up the 31st pick in the draft to get Wallace.

I am not saying it is going to happen but ....

86WARD
02-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Patriots would "overpay" and give up a first round pick in a second for Wallace. They either have to come to terms on a reasonable contract or pretty much concede that he is going elsewhere and the Steelers will get a 1st in return. If they do opt for Wallace and pay him the bucks, it signals the end for Brown in a Steelers uniform in my opinion.

As for 2 of the 3...I think I'd rather have Wallace and Brown...if they can afford them. I don't even care if the deals are reasonable...they can make anything work if they really want to.

Psycho Ward 86
02-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Patriots would "overpay" and give up a first round pick in a second for Wallace.

Where did you get that idea? Common logic would suggest hell no they wouldnt. Belichick picks up a lot of bargain basement players and is damn crafty at stockpiling draft picks and saving them for a plethora of quality players.

suitanim
02-16-2012, 05:40 AM
I could see the Pats doing this. He's not a great fit for their "dink and dunk", but he will clear out the underneath and provides that change of pace when they want to take a shot down the field.

Bluecoat96
02-16-2012, 08:12 AM
I could see the Pats doing this. He's not a great fit for their "dink and dunk", but he will clear out the underneath and provides that change of pace when they want to take a shot down the field.

The only problem I'd see in the future for the Pats is that they've got to do a contract this year for Wes Welker too. Could they afford BOTH Wallace and Welker in another year or so?

suitanim
02-16-2012, 08:55 AM
The only problem I'd see in the future for the Pats is that they've got to do a contract this year for Wes Welker too. Could they afford BOTH Wallace and Welker in another year or so?
I don't think so. And I don't think Wallace replaces Welker, as they are apples-and-oranges. But (and this is my most salient point), I don't want to rule anything out. When matching up teams that need WR and WR's, there's actually not a huge list of teams here. The Pats would be if they lose Welker, and the Browns are probably the team most in need of an infusion of WR talent.

BigNastyDefense
02-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I think the Steelers can sign Wallace long-term this offseason, and then work on Brown's contract next. Sanders is good, but I can see the Steelers letting him walk in free agency when his contract is up. Wallace and Brown are the future of the Steelers starting WR corps, Sanders seems to be too fragile to be relied upon...which is why if he's kept when it's time to make that decision on him, he won't be all that expensive. I don't trust Sanders to hold up as a starting WR.

As for the Patriots, Wallace doesn't really fit their offense. They changed things up for Randy Moss, but Moss is/was a freak of nature. Also, they have to resign Welker this offseason, and they might not be able to sign both this offseason. Bellichick covets draft picks, but I can see him using the 31st overall on Wallace if they wanted him...but I don't think they will.

Also, it doesn't matter if another team sends Wallace an offer sheet if he doesn't sign it. He has to sign it for the Steelers to have to match it, otherwise he could just sit there and work something out with Pittsburgh. I think he wants to stay in Pittsburgh long-term and might even take less to stay somewhere that he likes and knows. Remember, him going to a bad team that has cap space means he's going to likely spend a few seasons at the bottom of the team and with an average at best QB. If he wants to win, he knows one of his best chances to do so is staying a Steeler.

steelerdude15
02-16-2012, 11:33 AM
It would be absolutely foolish to rip apart the Young Money Family.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-16-2012, 11:40 AM

Exactly. he is a restricted free agent. Why give up a 1st round pick AND sign a guy to a big contract when you can just sign an UNRESTRICTED free agent like Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Bowe, etc. That way the team doesnt have to give up the pick.

suitanim
02-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Exactly. he is a restricted free agent. Why give up a 1st round pick AND sign a guy to a big contract when you can just sign an UNRESTRICTED free agent like Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Bowe, etc. That way the team doesnt have to give up the pick.

But there would be "strategery" involved here if the Browns, and, to a lessor extent, the Pats signed him away from us: They not only make themselves better, but they deplete our talent as well. That which makes them stronger also makes us weaker.

SteelGhost
02-16-2012, 12:54 PM
It would be absolutely foolish to rip apart the Young Money Family.

Ding ding ding

polamalubeast
02-16-2012, 01:24 PM
In an interview with local station 105.9 The X, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert covered many topics, including the likely release of Hines Ward and Rashard Mendenhall's injury. But something else that came up was the organization's commitment to re-sign wide receiver Mike Wallace when free agency begins.

Mike Wallace will be a restricted free agent and there are different levels that he can be tendered and we are certainly going to protect our interest there because Mike has proven himself to be a Pro Bowl player, who still hasn't fully reached his potential. We hope that Mike is going to be here for years to come and really it reflects on not on one player versus another but really it's our 53 man roster and what those cap numbers will be for the whole group collectively, and how we can manage it. But it will always be with the philosophy that we want to keep our young and ascending players right here with us.

read more

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2012/2/16/2802816/mike-wallace-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agent-2012

suitanim
02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
That's very good news.

86WARD
02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Meh...I take it more as Colbert saying "the right things" at this point. Obviously they would live to have him back, and obviously they are going to protect themselves...

Chidi29
02-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Again, when you're trying to save cap room, tacking on an uneeeded extra $6 million+ is fisically insane.