PDA

View Full Version : Kovacevic: Steelers disrespecting Ward

polamalubeast
02-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Just to get this on the record: I won't complain if the Steelers release Hines Ward, given his performance last season, the three young receivers ahead of him and that he'll turn 36 next month. I also won't complain if the Steelers keep Ward by securing a huge pay cut from the $4 million he's due in 2012.

These aren't easy calls for the front office, but either would be the right call from the football standpoint.

If only someone can find the fortitude to make it.

And make it The Steelers Way.

Remember that?

Goes something like this ...

Player X — let's call him Franco Harris, Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland or Joey Porter — looks to have reached the finish line.

Coach Y — let's call him Chuck Noll or Bill Cowher — addresses that player respectfully but forthrightly: Thanks for everything. It's time to part ways.

Team Z elsewhere might give that player a chance, or the player might choose to retire. Either way, the Steelers move on. And, just as important, they maintain their reputation for being first-class in these affairs.

So how to explain the classless way they're treating Ward?

Read more: Kovacevic: Steelers disrespecting Ward - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_781346.html#ixzz1mIE84W00

ALLD
02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
The above mentioned players including Ward should have listened to Noll and Cowher because they unnecessarily risked their health and should not have been on the field.

fansince'76
02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Player X — let's call him Franco Harris, Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland or Joey Porter — looks to have reached the finish line.

Coach Y — let's call him Chuck Noll or Bill Cowher — addresses that player respectfully but forthrightly: Thanks for everything. It's time to part ways.

Team Z elsewhere might give that player a chance, or the player might choose to retire. Either way, the Steelers move on. And, just as important, they maintain their reputation for being first-class in these affairs.

Uh, dude, it's FEBRUARY. They didn't release Harris until TC of 1984. They didn't release Lloyd until July of 1998. They didn't release Kirkland until March of 2001. And Porter wasn't given his walking papers until Cowher had already left.

With the demise of the print media, how do so many of these gibbering assclowns have jobs?

suitanim
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Actually, he does have a point. The NFL is a 365-day-a-year entity now. It didn't used to be this way.

They need to talk to Hines Ward THE PLAYER eventually.

But they need to reach out the Hines Ward THE MAN soon. It's a business, sure, but this is a family business and they've always run it that way. There's a difference. I personally think he needs to hang 'em up, but that's just one guys personall opinion. HOWEVER, if I was the owner of the Steelers, I'd reach out sooner rather than later and deal directly instead of letting unfounded rumors rule the day. He deserves at least that much.

Some of this stuff is beginning to worry me. Has it become TOO business for this Rooney?

one side only
02-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Uh, dude, it's FEBRUARY. They didn't release Harris until TC of 1984. They didn't release Lloyd until July of 1998. They didn't release Kirkland until March of 2001. And Porter wasn't given his walking papers until Cowher had already left.

With the demise of the print media, how do so many of these gibbering assclowns have jobs?

Dejan Kovacevic is not an assclown.

Steeldude
02-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Only a lazy person would think they are disrespecting Ward.

oneforthetoe
02-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Dejan Kovacevic is not an assclown.

I didn't know Dejan Kovacevic was a member here. :)

Seriously welcome aboard one side only.

And great board name, Dejan. :D

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Preach, seriously the salaries have changed a lot since 2001 and earlier.

If you can cut the WR who was #5 on your depth chart and save $4 million by doing it before March.....why bring him to Training Camp and spend the money foolishly.

If they cut him and save $$ its not cheap Rooneys, its smart management of an NFL small market team.

fansince'76
02-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Preach, seriously the salaries have changed a lot since 2001 and earlier.

If you can cut the WR who was #5 on your depth chart and save $4 million by doing it before March.....why bring him to Training Camp and spend the money foolishly.

If they cut him and save $$ its not cheap Rooneys, its smart management of an NFL small market team.

I realize that, I just disagree with the premise of the article that Ward is being "disrespected."

suitanim
02-13-2012, 03:52 PM
If the rumors continue to swarm, and the Steelers DO NOT ADDRESS THEM DIRECTLY WITH WARD, if at least to dispel them, how is that NOT disrespect?

fansince'76
02-13-2012, 03:55 PM
If the rumors continue to swarm, and the Steelers DO NOT ADDRESS THEM DIRECTLY WITH WARD, if at least to dispel them, how is that NOT disrespect?

Who's to say they already haven't? :noidea:

steeldevil
02-13-2012, 04:11 PM

Exactly.

Thats why I just stay out of this kind of stuff, you never know what is true and whats not, what has happened and what hasn't happened. etc.

And the only way you do "know" what has happened is the "media."

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2012, 05:49 PM

Rob Lowe didnt tweet it.

I see smoke coming from Art Rooney's office. He is disrespecting everybody....Tomlin, Arians, Ward, the Fans. :sarcasm:

Where is the sky is falling cat when you need him?

Bluecoat96
02-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Rob Lowe didnt tweet it.

I see smoke coming from Art Rooney's office. He is disrespecting everybody....Tomlin, Arians, Ward, the Fans. :sarcasm:

Where is the sky is falling cat when you need him?

Happy to oblige, my friend.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/sky-is-falling.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Happy to oblige, my friend.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/sky-is-falling.jpg

Thanks!!! I love that pic.

And....in other news...........
General manager Kevin Colbert said Monday the team has had "internal discussions" on what to do with the franchise's all-time leading receiver, but no decision has been made.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/02/13/hines-ward-steelers.ap/index.html#ixzz1mJGA3EMY

Bluecoat96
02-13-2012, 06:02 PM
In all seriousness though, we live in a day and age where information is almost instantaneous. I think that causes society as a whole to be too impatient. As I usually say, we have no clue what has been said behind closed doors in regards to Ward and the front office.

Man, I can't wait until something of substance can be reported on, instead of these ass-clowns writing opinion pieces about the same freaking subject in an ever so slightly different way. Yes, "one side only" I said ass-clown.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2012, 06:11 PM
In all seriousness though, we live in a day and age where information is almost instantaneous. I think that causes society as a whole to be too impatient. As I usually say, we have no clue what has been said behind closed doors in regards to Ward and the front office.

Man, I can't wait until something of substance can be reported on, instead of these ass-clowns writing opinion pieces about the same freaking subject in an ever so slightly different way. Yes, "one side only" I said ass-clown.

So Colbert says there has been no final decision, but LaCanfora and the above referenced media member are saying its a done deal. Who to believe?

Preacher said Ass clown, you have seconded the nomination....is there a 3rd to make it official??

fansince'76
02-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Preacher said Ass clown, you have seconded the nomination....is there a 3rd to make it official??

Any reason why you keep referring to me as "Preacher?" :chuckle:

SMR
02-13-2012, 06:29 PM
This thread is hilarious and I have nothing else to comment on this.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Any reason why you keep referring to me as "Preacher?" :chuckle:
Kind of a Clint Eastwood in "Pale Rider" slip going on. Sorry.

fansince'76
02-13-2012, 08:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9rUi_JBn-I&feature=player_embedded#!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Godfather
02-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Wow. Did they just make that video in the last couple of days, or is it an eerie coincidence that they used Whitney's music?

suitanim
02-14-2012, 05:28 AM

Perhaps they have.

But perhaps they haven't.

It's only the latter which causes me concern.