PDA

View Full Version : THE Ohio State Buckeye OFFICIAL Football thread.

suitanim
05-30-2010, 05:37 PM
We haven't won the National Championship every year, so we fail, I guess.

Final BCS rankings by year since 2002 (ESPN only tracks that far)
2002- #1
2003- #4
2004- #20
2005- #5
2006- #2
2007- #5
2008- #9
2009- #5

Average 6.3 final BCS ranking.

SteelCityMan786
05-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Not like they have been one of the teams that have shown that the Big Ten is a better conference year in and year out then people like to give credit for.

suitanim
06-01-2010, 03:26 PM
There is someone who posts on this board, a turncoat, who actually said to me once, in all seriousness, that "Ohio State football should win a national championship every year, and their failure to do so is a part of the reason I don't cheer for them anymore"

Wow, there's an awful lot wrong with that one short sentence...

SteelersinCA
06-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Wow, you're not only an internet pussy but a flat out liar. You are such a moron it's not even funny. Why don't you make some more shit up I didn't say. I guess in your self aggrandized world calling people out on the carpet is failing to mention names only to hint at them. Such a coward. Status quo for someone who repeatedly gets housed in every debate they try to have with me. Go back and play in the sandbox little tyke. My God, you are a tool.

X-Terminator
06-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Gentlemen, please...if you're going to carry this on, please refrain from doing so on the open board. Flaming of any kind is absolutely NOT permitted here, and it will be strictly enforced. Debate is fine, but NO personal attacks.

SteelersinCA
06-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Not a problem.

suitanim
06-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Moved this to the smack forum...it's probably past time...

psusteelerspens4life
06-02-2010, 11:57 AM
How do you guys think Pryor is going to do this season .

suitanim
06-02-2010, 12:04 PM
All reports are that he's making huge strides...but that was the word around this time last year, as well. He did look like he had some swagger in the Spring game. Supposedly Tress is going to open up the offense ala the Troy Smith years, but we shall see...they have a couple really solid RB's and the line should be better this year so they SHOULD be able to pass AND run the ball.

Nice thing is, they don't have powderpuffs coming in to start, so they can't take the first game off. They play Marshall, which is a decent program in their first ever night Thursday opener, then they have thug U coming in so they need to be sharp right out of the box.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm glad we finally got that Bowl Game monkey off of our back last season.

This year I think we should be one of the top dogs in the BCS race. The schedule seems to be in our favor with 8 of our 12 games in the Shoe and our toughest road tests are Iowa and Wisconsin.

I'm a bit worried about replacing a lot of veteran production on Defense though. Jermale Hines (who had a lot of PT last season and I think even started some games) should do well replacing Anderson Russell. Hopefully one of the young guys like Wood, Howard or Oliver can fill in for Coleman. If not maybe move Devon Torrence back there.

Up front is somewhat of a questionmark too. Seems like we lost a lot with the departure of Worthington, Gibson, Rose, Wilson and Denlinger. The only for sure starter is probably Cam Heyward. After that I look for Larimore, John Simon and Garret Goebel to battle for the interior positions and Keith Wells, Nate Williams and Melvin Fellows to fight it out for the DE position.

On the other side of the ball I think we will be really strong. We only have to replace one starter from last seasons OL and Brewster and Boren are two of the toughest interior linemen in the nation. Hopefully this season Adams, Hall and Shugarts all show us why they were considered top OL prospects when they came to Columbus.

The recieving corp looks very solid too. Drew Carter came into his own at the end of last season. Add him to the mix of Sanzenbacher amd Posey and that gives us three legit wideouts. I'd like to see Tourian Washington finally break out. Seems like he always has a steller spring but is nowhere to be found come fall. I've also heard some good things about last years prospects Jackson and Fields so we'll see.

Finally, I think Saine and Boom Herron will give a good two back comliment to Pryor. Plus you know that we are going to go through stretches of Tressel Ball and these two will have to carry the load. I also look for the young backs Berry or Hall to showcase some of that game changing speed this season

suitanim
06-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm worried about Posey's hands...he has all the tools, and basically can't be covered, but he drops way too many balls. Honestly, that, and Pryor looking like he did in the Purdue game again, are my only two worries about this team.

As far as the defense, they'll be fine...their speed has been upgraded amazingly since the Florida debacle.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-02-2010, 02:02 PM
The defensive team speed has definitly impoved over the past few seasons. I think that Oregon thought they were going to just run right past us and when they realized they couldn't they were lost.

How much leash do you think Tressel will give Pryor this year? He is going to open it up more but I don't think he will as much as he did in the Rose Bowl game. The Marshall game probably won't be a good measuring stick. With Miami comming into town the next week, Tres will not want to give anything away.

suitanim
06-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I have no idea...the thing is, on paper, with his skill set, Pryor SHOULD be able to do whatever he wants...a true triple threat. I question his smarts a bit, but he's just a kid, so who knows? I just think that if you have a QB who can read a defense, has a cannon for an arm, runs a sub 4.4 40, rolling out in the flat with the ability to hit those WR's OR take off and run it should be a nightmare for any DC in the college ranks. Toss in the fact that they should just be able to line up and sellout the run and still be effective, and anything less than 24 points a game will leave me puzzled.

Unless Tress is just tossing smoke about the ability to read the D...

silver & black
06-05-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm worried about Posey's hands...he has all the tools, and basically can't be covered, but he drops way too many balls. Honestly, that, and Pryor looking like he did in the Purdue game again, are my only two worries about this team.

As far as the defense, they'll be fine...their speed has been upgraded amazingly since the Florida debacle.

I think Pryor will be fine this year. Everyone forgets just how young he was when he got the starting job. He showed flashes of what he can be, last year. I think he will come into his own this year. He is another year matured... physically and mentally.

I share your concerns about Posey. Hopefully, he can overcome the drops this year. If he does... look out!

Nadroj 20
06-05-2010, 09:46 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=97125&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d971 25%26season%3d2011

This guy is pretty good....he commited a few days ago

xX-TSK-Xx
06-05-2010, 10:33 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=97125&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d971 25%26season%3d2011

This guy is pretty good....he commited a few days ago

We're off to a pretty good start after the poorrecruiting season we had last year. Still don't think we have any 5-Stars yet but verbal commitmets from Steve and Braxton Miller is a good start and we have two o-linemen comming in that many have ranked in the top ten at their positions

Nadroj 20
06-06-2010, 08:22 AM
We're off to a pretty good start after the poorrecruiting season we had last year. Still don't think we have any 5-Stars yet but verbal commitmets from Steve and Braxton Miller is a good start and we have two o-linemen comming in that many have ranked in the top ten at their positions

I was saw where some guy ( cant remember his name but he was an OSU alumn) thinks that Braxton Miller is better then Pryor was going into his senior year of high school. I havent seen enough of Miller to make that judgement myself.

Another thing that excited me ( i understand these are just opinions and you cant read a whole lot into them) was this same guy thinks Miller is a much better passer then pryor. Then again I dont think it takes a lot to be a much better passes then Pryor lol...hopefully that changes this year.

suitanim
06-07-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm not all that worried about the star rating system. I mean, it's nice to be perceived as having a great recruiting class, but many of the Buckeyes who have gone on to the NFL were 1 or 2 star prospects, so IMO it's a little overrated. Also, ND had some top 5 recruiting classes over the last few years, and they've done absolutely NOTHING with them, so...

S&B, I tend to agree about Pryor, but want to remain pragmatic...I thought he should have progressed farther last year than he did, so I'm leery of putting too much stock in all the early reports out of Columbus. He did look good in limited snaps throwing the ball in the Spring Game, seemed to have a swagger about him, but I wonder about his off-field work ethic sometimes...

atlsteelers
06-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm not all that worried about the star rating system. I mean, it's nice to be perceived as having a great recruiting class, but many of the Buckeyes who have gone on to the NFL were 1 or 2 star prospects, so IMO it's a little overrated. Also, ND had some top 5 recruiting classes over the last few years, and they've done absolutely NOTHING with them, so......

those rating systems are crap...the recruiting services drive up the number of stars of kids who commit late in order to drive up subscriptions to their websites.

MasterOfPuppets
06-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Scared Ohio State Buckeyes Pay Cincinnati Bearcats to Avoid Getting Hammered

Here is how it happened:

After Maurice Clarrett shared with the world the crazy cheating that goes on in Columbus, the NCAA searched for evidence. Ohio State had become so good at covering up their tracks from years of boosters hiding their corruption in clever ways the NCAA was unable to find anything of substance.

Under normal circumstances, a player’s word about improper benefits would probably be enough, however Maurice Clarrett’s “unique” off-the-field incidents made him just a tad less trustworthy than O.J. Simpson.

With that in mind, the NCAA starting tapping the phones of all people involved with “one of the: Ohio State University Football teams (in this case the Columbus branch). They wanted to hear what they said, hoping to get leads, hoping they would slip up.

Courtesy of the fine people at the NCAA I have managed to piece together the conversations that led to “one of” the Ohio State Universities (the one in Columbus) paying the University of Cincinnati $1 million to move their 2012 meeting from Cincinnati to Columbus.

Their hope was to avoid the ass-beating that was bound to ensue. I doubt it will work, but here is how everything transpired.

A Worried Nancy Zimpher Calls Some Old Friends in Columbus:

Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee: NZ, to what do I owe this great pleasure?

Nancy: Gordo, it’s been too long. Honestly, I hate to call under this kind of circumstance, but I have been doing some thinking. You remember my original plan to sabotage UC sports?

Gordon: Yes, it’s been working wonders for the basketball program, but you’ve got some trouble brewing in football. Who would have thought that pushing Michigan State to hire Dantonio would have been the end?

I know you don’t know much about football, but how could you let them get Brian Kelly? Have you been pushing for him to take other jobs?

Nancy: So far I’ve pushed, but nothing's come. Nebraska wanted to talk to him among other schools. Brian seems intent on making this team a winner. That is why I am calling.

If Brian Kelly is the coach of the University of Cincinnati in 2012, I can conceive of no way the Buckeyes can get out of Cincinnati with a victory. You need to consider calling off the game.

Gordon: Is it that serious, NZ?

Nancy: I would not be telling you if it was not. The UC fans really want this game. They will probably outnumber you by a good amount at Paul Brown Stadium. By that time, they will have SEC-type speed…I think we both know how Ohio State tends to fare against the SEC.

Gordon: Sure we have had a “small” string of bad luck against that conference, but you cannot believe it will come to this. Nancy, other jobs will come up. You have to get Kelly out the door…start taking funds from the athletic department, delay the construction of a practice bubble, just get him out of the way by 2012.

Nancy: Kelly seems to be Bob Huggins 2.0. Everyone who is involved with the university in any way loves him. He owns this town. At the same time there has not been an inaccurate Sports Illustrated story to start lowering his credibility.

I do not think I can beat the guy. Short of him getting arrested, he is going to be at UC for a long time.

Gordon: You talked to the NCAA right? There is not a chance he is getting another season. This Bearcat team is a national title contender with Mauk at the QB.

Nancy: We do not have to worry about that. I have been assured that it will be a long, drawn-out process, but in the end Ben will not be granted another season. The NCAA figures if they wait a long time, he will not be able to sue, because there is no way he would play this season anyways.

Gordon: The NCAA knows how to handle all of its shit, doesn’t it?

Nancy: They are good, there is no doubt; maybe they’d give me some advice on how to get Coach Kelly out of here.

Gordon: That is a little risky, NZ. We cannot afford to have our plans revealed to the world. It would really put a black eye on both you and the Ohio State University.

Nancy: I understand, Gordo. Just cancel the game.

A confused Brian Kelly receives a call from Ohio State athletics:

Brian Kelly: Gene, I hear you needed to talk to me over a scheduling issue in 2012. What is that all about?

Gene Smith (OSU Athletic Director): Ohio State can no longer afford to play UC. Honestly, it’s simply a financial thing. We will make more money in a home game.

Brian: Gene, I hear the financial part and I know Ohio State is “constantly” strapped for cash in football, but you had a deal to come play us. UC has played more than our fair share in Columbus. The school understood it benefited them to do so, but part of the deal was for you to come back here again.

You have traveled to the little MAC schools in-state with no problem. Gene, we are going to have to hold you to the contract you signed. I expect a school of “integrity” like Ohio State would stay committed to its word.

Gene: Brian, I am truly sorry, but there is no way we can do it. We just make way more money for games in Columbus, even after whatever buyout we give you and whatever we pay the 1-AA School we choose for another guarantee game.

Brian: Gene, if it is finances you are worried about we can split the profit with you. Whatever profits are made down at PBS we’ll give you half. That also avoids you having to pay off another 1-AA team for a guarantee game in Columbus. You are sure to come out on top that way.

Gene: Our fans will not be happy. We just need more home games. Our fans will not be able to get tickets like last time. UC fans are going to get all the tickets.

Brian: Gene, I thought this was purely about finances. OK, what if we called it a neutral site game. We split the profits and the ticket distribution 50/50, right down the middle. If we do that the Buckeyes will certainly have at least as many fans as they had last time you came to Cincinnati…probably more.

Gene: I am sorry, Brian. There is just no way we can play this game.

Brian: Gene, let's play in Cleveland, or, Detroit, or in a parking lot somewhere. This is a game people want to see. It’s a game that can get national exposure. It would be a game between two BCS schools in the same conference.

Let’s look at the states around us: Louisville and Kentucky play, Michigan and Michigan State play, Purdue and Notre Dame play, Tennessee and Vanderbilt play, Illinois and Northwestern play. All of these BCS schools in the same state play each other. It provides great TV games.

I know your fans may not be excited for the game now, but if we started playing every year, they would look forward to the game. UK did not always want to play Louisville in basketball, but now it is a marquee, must-see game every year.

Our football program is going to be great some day, Gene. Let’s get this game going now, let’s start building the anticipation. Gameday is going to want to be at this game before it is all said and done.

Gene: Brian, we are the Ohio State University. We are not Michigan or Notre Dame. They can play other BCS teams in the state. We are better than the rest of the state and we get to dictate our games.

Brian: Gene, maybe a team like Notre Dame understands the value in promoting a regional non-conference rivalry. It can be a selling point down the road; it creates excitement for the games.

Gene: We are the Ohio State University.

Brian: I heard you the first time. You are one of the Ohio State Universities.

Gene: We are the Ohio State University.

Brian: Gene, I am going to give you a chance to save face. You do not want to look like you are ducking us and I want to build anticipation for this game. I want there to be pressure to play this game.

What if we were to come to OSU to play in 2012? It would be a home game for you, plus you could tell everyone it was purely financial and I’ll stay quiet about all the offers I made you hear today so you could fulfill your contract. I know I could get people all over asking you why OSU ducked UC if they knew the full truth.

However, I think when we go up there and play a great game people are going to want to see more. There will be pressure to continue the rivalry. So I am giving you this chance to save face.

Play us in Columbus. I will keep quiet. But mark my words…this game will be played annually some day, when OSU is wishing they were the program UC has become.

Gene: Not much of a choice there. I am not sure how I will explain this to the President, but we’ll see.

The UC vs. OSU football game scheduled for 2012 was officially moved back to Columbus. Coach Kelly kept his word and kept the entire conversation to himself. But who knows…maybe one day Coach Kelly will be right.

Maybe one day people will ask the question: Why do OSU and UC, two teams who consistently win BCS conference championships, not play each other every year?

And eventually maybe Kelly will get his wish and OSU will see the value in coming to Cincinnati to get their butts whooped every two years.
This article is also featured on Bearcatmark's Blog: I May Be Wrong, But I Doubt it
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/50146-scared-ohio-state-buckeyes-pay-cincinnati-bearcats-to-avoid-getting-hammered
:lol:

xX-TSK-Xx
06-11-2010, 08:32 PM
revs, are you a member of any Ohio State message boards or have any recomondations for one? I have been meaning to join a Buckeye forum but haven't put any time into looking for a good one.

suitanim
06-14-2010, 12:13 PM
The CBS Sportsline boards aren't bad...there's a fair amount of Buckeye hating garbage posted by people who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, but as evidenced by the post just a few back, you're going to get that kind of ignorant trash anywhere you go.

For every pissed off and confused hater, there's 3-4 knowledgeable fans who really have their finger on the pulse of the team....there's some real good general college football discussions going on there as well.

BigNastyDefense
06-14-2010, 12:25 PM
I think the Buckeyes are going to win another Big 10 Championship and have a very good shot at playing in the National Championship Game. Pryor should be outstanding this season. He's had three years in the system and showed huge strides made in the Rose Bowl. I expect him to build on that.

Ohio State vs. Alabama for the National Championship. Ohio State wins 27-20.

suitanim
06-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Cue the "But OSU is 0-9 against the SEC" in 3-2-1...

That's actually not true...they tied LSU 13-13 9/26/87 IN Baton Rouge, and beat LSU in 1988 (John Coopers AWFUL 4-6-1 first Buckeye team)

Some more background on the whole myth...

1978 lost to eventual #2 Bama. OSU was 9-3 that year, so they lost to a higher ranked team IN THE SOUTHEAST (Sugar Bowl)
1986 lost to Alabama 16-10 in Giants Stadium
1987 tied LSU

The REAL crux of the matter is John Cooper...Cooper couldn't win a big game to save his life, and the SEC beat him 5 times. Cooper also dropped 10 of 12 to Michigan, lost 8 of 11 bowl games, and even lost to Air Force as a 17 point favorite in the 1990 Liberty Bowl. MOST of the bad reputation OSU has for choking derives from Coop.

OSU also "benefited" from playing bowl games it didn't deserve, and that factors in as well. In '89, a 24th ranked OSU lost to a top 5 Auburn in the HOF Bowl (In Alabama, read: Home game for the Tigers).

In '92 they lost on a late TD to Georgia in the Citrus (in the Southeast)
In '94 12-1 Bama scored a last minute TD to knock off 4-times-beaten OSU

Finally, the Tress years. He lost to SC 31-28, but I think they were losing 28-0 at halftime and came all the way back to lose on a last minute FG to the Cocks. Florida outcoached him, and LSU was just a better team.

The point is, this whole "0-9 thing" has a lot of sub-plot to it that SEC backers and OSU haters just sort of gloss over...it's easier to ignore the mitigating factors and just make it sound as bad as it can possibly be...

suitanim
06-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Interesting aside to the USC corruption story...look at the all the corrupt programs who tried to steal the already illegimitatly signed talent at USC: The usual suspects...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/USC-turns-in-opposition-for-instant-post-sanctio?urn=ncaaf,247759

... USC true freshman running back Dillon Baxter told the school's director of compliance that five schools illegally contacted him in the wake of USC's NCAA penalties, according to a document reviewed by ESPN's Joe Schad.

In a letter written by USC director of compliance Matt Billings to Pac-10 Associate Commissioner for Governance and Enforcement Ron Barker, Florida, Washington, Oregon, Fresno State and Alabama allegedly contacted Baxter.

The letter states in part: "I just met with (Baxter) and he told me that he received phone calls from five institutions (June 10th.) All of the institutions asked if he was interested in transferring [from] USC due to the NCAA decision. Would you please speak with these schools to remind them they cannot speak to this student athlete?"

Don't see OSU on there...

MasterOfPuppets
06-14-2010, 05:10 PM
When the severely limited mental resources God gave you fail, fall back on a sort of funny but inapplicable graphic, I guess...

I'm sure the braintrust restroom clique will all enjoy this...better than actually addressing the substantive content above.

the only thing inapplicable here is the excuses and spin your trying to apply to OSU failures ... keep polishing that 0-9 turd if it makes you feel better, but at the end of the day its still ... SEC > OSU. ..http://bbs.mediumpimpin.com/images/smilies/tclaw.gif

1978 Sugar Bowl: Alabama 35, Ohio State 6 - Woody Hayes = L

1990 Hall Of Fame Bowl: Auburn 31, Ohio State 14 - John Cooper =L

1993 Citrus Bowl: Georgia 21, Ohio State 14 - John Cooper = L

1995 Citrus Bowl: Alabama 24, Ohio State 14 - John Cooper = L

1996 Citrus Bowl: Tennessee 20, Ohio State 14 - John Cooper = L

2001 Outback Bowl: South Carolina 24, Ohio State 7 - John Cooper = L

2002 Outback Bowl: South Carolina 31, Ohio State 28 - Jim Tressel = L

2007 BCS Championship: Florida 41, Ohio State 14 - Jim Tressel = L

2008 BCS Championship: LSU 38, Ohio State 24 - Jim Tressel = L

suitanim
06-15-2010, 07:41 AM
Your obvious cognitive disorders notwithstanding, what was the point of re-posting the same information minus any mitigating facts? Like the 13-13 tie with LSU and the 1988 victory over LSU? Or the fact that in nearly all these games, OSU was playing a better, higher ranked SEC team IN the Southeast? Like in 1990 when 24th ranked OSU played top 5 Auburn IN Alabama, essentially a home game for the Tigers.

Is reading comprehension THAT difficult for you?

atlsteelers
06-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Your obvious cognitive disorders notwithstanding, what was the point of re-posting the same information minus any mitigating facts? Like the 13-13 tie with LSU and the 1988 victory over LSU? Or the fact that in nearly all these games, OSU was playing a better, higher ranked SEC team IN the Southeast? Like in 1990 when 24th ranked OSU played top 5 Auburn IN Alabama, essentially a home game for the Tigers.

Is reading comprehension THAT difficult for you?

or how about when OSU was a 7 point favorites over florida? to paint with a broad brush by saying OSU is a perrenial underdog in these matchups is just plain wrong.

suitanim
06-15-2010, 10:33 AM
That's one out of eleven games. If you want to be situational, than by all means, welcome to the thread...it could sure use another rational view point to counterbalance MOP...but don't cherry pick one example and then use that to sully the whole program. Let's take each game on it's own merits.

I'd say the Florida loss was one of the all-time low-points of the program's history. It stings even more because OSU had repeatedly asked Florida for a home/away series and the Gators just flat out said no. But what does that have to do with losses from 30 years ago? And how many of those games were the Buckeyes favored in? Probably one or maybe even none.

The fact is OSU is 5th on the all-time wins list. Over the last 10 years their average finish is in the top 5. This is a storied and prestigious football program, and it cheapens ALL of college football to simply dismiss them based on the coincidental W-L record to one conference. When one broadens out the argument, you can see that Penn State and Michigan have both had success versus the SEC, so it's not like the conference as a whole is suspect either.

This is the law of parsimony: OSU (like Notre Dame of late) got in some bowl games they didn't deserve because of their marquee value and the fact that they travel well, and they lost a bunch of bowl games IN the Southeast against better Southeast based teams that they shouldn't have been playing in the first place. If you take a 20th ranked team and send them on the road against the #2 team, in general, they are going to lose the vast majority of those games. But to use that as some kind of argument that overall the team in question is inferior is just plain wrong. If the situation was reversed, and the SEC was sending teams ranked in the 20's up North to play top 5 Buckeye teams, the outcome would be vastly different...but it would only mean that that years team was better than the competition they faced, not a sweeping indictment of the whole history of the program.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Bad news on the offensive side of the ball. Duron Carter is transfering out of Ohio State and to Coffeyville Community College.

Also Keith Wells (who redshirted last season) will be transfering.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87743&SPID=10408&DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=204962489

I guess we'll have to hope for a young guy like Chris Fields or James Jackson to step up and grab the number 3 wide out spot behind Posey and Sanzenbacher. Maybe Taurian Washington will finally break out?

xX-TSK-Xx
06-21-2010, 07:54 PM
By the way, the reason for Carter's exit is academic. He hasn't been preforming well in the class room and Tressel even suspended him from the Rose Bowl game last December because of his grades.

suitanim
06-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Yeah, he's a dummy. I'm not too worried. The Bucks reload, not rebuild...and the WR's they have on the roster are all burners. They lack college experience, but that can be overcome. By playing.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Meet John Simon, Ohio State's sandman

By Adam Rittenberg

A training session at Ohio State's weight room is like a day at the beach for John Simon.

Well, sort of.

When Simon, a budding star on Ohio State's defensive line, enters the 8,000-square foot weight room at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, his first stop is typically the sand pit. Simon will sprint through the sand, sometimes with a heavy tire harnessed to his waist. He'll work on drills tailored to defensive linemen, trying to get that all important burst when the ball is snapped.

The sand pit in Columbus will never be confused for Manhattan Beach, but Simon doesn't mind.

"That’s about the closest I could get," he said, "coming from Youngstown [Ohio]."

Simon got a lot closer this winter as he and his Ohio State teammates made their way to California for the Rose Bowl. If Simon keeps it up in the weight room and on the field, he and the Buckeyes likely will be making a few more trips to the coast.

The 6-foot-2, 270-pound Simon appeared in 12 games as a true freshman in 2009, showing flashes with four tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, a forced fumble and a pass knockdown. He's competing for a starting spot at left end or left tackle in 2010, and he's already earning respect from veteran defenders like linebacker Brian Rolle.

"If somebody's going to try to outwork him, they'll going to have to work really hard," Rolle said in April. "And he's going to outwork that effort. He's going to be a guy who will be a star here the next couple of years."

Simon's reputation stems largely from his work in the weight room. He came to Ohio State with solid credentials, including a max bench-press of 450 and a max squat of 700 as a high schooler, and has impressed coaches and teammates with his approach to workouts and training. Ohio State strength coordinator Jeff Uhlenhake calls Simon the "best total package workout guy" he's coached.

Although Simon is only a true sophomore, few in Columbus will be surprised to see him appear on colleague Bruce Feldman's list of Freaks, or workout warriors.

"I enjoy being in the weight room," Simon said. "I’m in there every day. Our whole team's like that."

Simon typically works out in the morning with his teammates and then returns in the afternoon to lift or run in the sand pit.

Despite his lofty high school bench and squat totals, Simon hasn't tried to max out yet in college, citing the need to stay healthy for the Big Ten grind. Instead, he works on his explosion by doing chain bench or band squats and improves his stamina by pulling sleds.

“I like a lot of endurance things because the games in college are very long," Simon said. "The sand pit, I really enjoy, just to get that extra quickness where the sand slows you down a little bit and builds up your legs."

Simon heads to the sand pit at least three times per week during the offseason. He hopes it pays off this fall as Ohio State aims for a national title.

"Just running in the sand, it slows you down so much," he said. "And then when you get on regular grass or turf and you’re in your spikes, you feel that much faster. I see a big difference."

Is it too early to give Simon a nickname? He might need to start a full season for the Buckeyes to one, but here's an early suggestion.

The Sandman.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

I'm pretty excited about this kid. Sophmore and word is he can already do 40 reps of 225. Absolute freak. Hopefully it will translate onto the field. Reminds me of a larger Vernon Gholston.

http://www.ourhonordefend.com/wp-content/uploads/johnsimon_mygodishehuge.jpg

suitanim
06-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Too bad it probably won't translate much...but that work ethic will. And I'd have to guess he at least has superior stamina, so there is that...

I think it's going to be an exciting year. No letdown versus Marshall and a big win against Miami, and this could be a special season....

xX-TSK-Xx
07-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Bckeyes grab their 16th prospect for the 2011 class. Nick Vannett, one of the top tight ends.

OSU football: Tight end commits for 2011
Westerville's Vannett got plenty of offers

By Tim May
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Nick Vannett's head might still be spinning a little over being considered one of the nation's elite college football prospects, but the tight end from Westerville Central has made his choice: Ohio State.

Vannett, who is 6 feet 4 and 240 pounds and a four-star prospect according to Rivals.com, yesterday became the 16th member of the Buckeyes' 2011 recruiting class.

"I was looking for a school where I knew I was going to be comfortable with the people and with the academic side of things," Vannett said. "I want that degree to take me somewhere in life. Ohio State has great people, real down-to-earth people, and they have something no other school has in the tradition. I want to be a part of that."

He's the second tight end in the class, preceded by Jeff Heuerman of Naples, Fla. But Vannett probably won't be the last local prospect to pick Ohio State this week. Safety Ron Tanner of Eastmoor Academy will reveal his choice Friday, and he is said to be leaning toward the Buckeyes.

Vannett picked Ohio State over Tennessee and Virginia Tech, not a bad buffet for a 17-year-old.

"It is truly a blessing to be in that position, but at the same time, it kind of gets you when you don't expect it," he said. "You're young and you don't really expect things like this to be thrown at you at such an early age."

He gained the first inkling that he had what it took when Indiana made him a scholarship offer last December, he said. Then came offers from Bowling Green and several other Mid-American Conference schools, followed by Northwestern and Ohio State.

"After that, they really started pouring in," said Vannett, with his list growing to 35. There even was an offer from Oregon, which caught him by surprise.

"That's mainly because they are so far away," Vannett said. "But they bring in guys who are really athletic, and I didn't think I was I don't know I didn't really see this coming a few years ago, and it really kind of caught me off-guard. But I am very thankful for these opportunities."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/07/01/tight-end-commits-for-2011.html?sid=101

xX-TSK-Xx
07-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Ohio State landed another top prospect yesterday.

Top 100 recruit Ron Tanner commits to Ohio State
Hard-hitting defensive back is the third elite recruit from Class of 2011 to pick the Buckeyes.

By: Mitch Stephens
MaxPreps.com

Ron Tanner, the nation’s No. 79 recruit from the Class of 2011 according to MaxPreps.com recruiting expert Tom Lemming, has picked his hometown Ohio State Buckeyes.

The hard-hitting 6-foot-1, 190-pound defensive back from Eastmoor Academy (Columbus, Ohio), picked the Buckeyes over Arizona State, Michigan State, Northwestern and Stanford.

He’s the third player from Lemming’s Top 100 list to commit to the Buckeyes.

According to the Columbus Dispatch, Tanner, the eighth-ranked defensive back in the country, actually put on a Michigan cap during his announcement at Eastmoor Academy on Friday.

Tanner donned the cap to stir a reaction, which it did, drawing groans and boos before a friend snapped on an Ohio State lid.

“I am at home, literally and hypothetically speaking,” he told the newspaper. “Being on campus, it seems like it’s the right place for me.”

Tanner is the Ohio State’s 17th recruit from the 2011 class and 12th from Ohio. He joins fellow Columbus standout Nick Vannett, a tight end from Westerville Central.

Other future Ohio State players from Lemmings' list is the top-rated quarterback Braxton Miller (No. 8 overall) from Wayne (Huber Heights, Ohio) and offensive lineman Michael Bennett (Centerville, Ohio), who is No. 91 overall.

According to Lemming, Tanner is one of the hardest hitters in the Midwest. “He’s a great decision-maker and has exceptional footwork,” Lemming said.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/EPKDq4Y4Ed-lugAcxJTdpg/top-100-recruit-ron-tanner-commits-to-ohio-state.htm

venom
07-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Whos says that Michigan and Ohio State cant get along ? lol

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj21/annarbor4/MichOSUgirls.jpg

xX-TSK-Xx
07-22-2010, 04:48 PM
GOD! What is that ugly thing standing next to that hot Ohio State fan? :chuckle:

venom
07-23-2010, 07:51 PM
GOD! What is that ugly thing standing next to that hot Ohio State fan? :chuckle:

I wouldn't kick either one out of bed , lol

xX-TSK-Xx
07-23-2010, 07:56 PM
NFL Network did a top ten list of all-time Buckeyes in the NFL. (video in link)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-countdowns/09000d5d81945273/Top-10-Buckeyes

Heres the rundown

10. Eddie George
9. Jim Marshall
8. Randy Gradishar
7. Dick LeBeau
6. Bill Willis
5. Orlando Pace
4. Jim Parker
3. Chris Carter
2. Paul Warfield
1. Lou Groza

xX-TSK-Xx
07-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Pryor says he's healthy

Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor can't wait for the preseason to start next month.

The junior pronounced himself healthy after surgery in February to repair some damage in his left knee.

"It was minor surgery," he told The Associated Press. "It's never going to be 100 percent ever again for anybody who gets any type of surgery or anything like that. But you should definitely bounce back and be a high percentage and keep going. That's where I am right now, I feel pretty good."

Pryor also said he's lost 10 pounds this year, down to 225 on his 6-foot-5 frame.

Pryor conceded that he was limited by the knee injury in the last few games of last season but said he has been working out with his receivers this summer and is anxiously awaiting Aug. 5, when the Buckeyes report to camp.

He said he won't be limited in any way.

"No, because once my mind gets in the game and I'm focused, nothing's going to get in my way and nothing's going to get in my mindset," he said. "Not a leg injury."

Coach Jim Tressel said he has no concerns about Pryor's health. Tressel, going into his 10th year, says his biggest concern is that Pryor -- considered by many as one of the top contenders in the Heisman Trophy race -- spends too much time working out and watching film.

"The only reservation I have is I'm not so sure he doesn't train too much," Tressel said. "It seems like he's there all day. He's just a worker."

Tressel said he felt the injury might just make Pryor a better player -- and the Buckeyes a better team.

"It was valuable for him that back third of the season, when he was injured," he said. "He really couldn't take off and run and do some of the things that maybe he had counted on [before]. I think the rest of the guys knew he was a little bit limited and they stepped up and our running game and our offensive front came along."

Ohio State, coming off an 11-2 season that included a fifth straight Big Ten title and a Rose Bowl victory over Oregon, opens its season Sept. 2 at home against Marshall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5405022

xX-TSK-Xx
07-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Clarett taking classes at Ohio State

Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State University says former football star Maurice Clarett has been granted re-entry to pursue his degree after he spent more than three years in prison.

Ohio State spokesman Jim Lynch says in a statement that Clarett started classes on Monday after he was readmitted by the College of Education and Human Ecology, where he was originally enrolled. (continued at link)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5412090

I'm glad to see he is trying to get his life back on track. He really threw away a great opportunity. Could have been a special player.

SteelersinCA
07-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Clarett taking classes at Ohio State

Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State University says former football star Maurice Clarett has been granted re-entry to pursue his degree after he spent more than three years in prison.

Ohio State spokesman Jim Lynch says in a statement that Clarett started classes on Monday after he was readmitted by the College of Education and Human Ecology, where he was originally enrolled. (continued at link)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5412090

I'm glad to see he is trying to get his life back on track. He really threw away a great opportunity. Could have been a special player.

As I understand it a former inmate in a state institution in Ohio is allowed to enroll in in any state institution. I could be wrong but I seem to remember something like that when I was clerking for a judge in Frnklin County and a former OSU player was convicted of murder.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Ohio State's Jermil Martin to transfer

By Adam Rittenberg

In a move that won't surprise many folks, Ohio State running back Jermil Martin has decided to transfer.

Martin appeared in three games last season and rushed for 84 yards and a touchdown on 11 carries. Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel told reporters Tuesday that playing time was a factor in Martin's decision. Martin will transfer after he restores his academic eligibility.

"Jermil is a little bit caught in between being a fullback and a tailback," Tressel said. "And we've got a pretty good group both places, so that makes it more difficult."

Ohio State remains well stocked at the running back position, and Zach Boren and Adam Homan will handle fullback duties in 2010.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

Not a big loss. Especially with Rod Smith and Carlos Hyde entering as freshman this season.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Opening camp: Ohio State

By Adam Rittenberg

Schedule: Ohio State's first preseason practice takes place today in Columbus.

What's new: Not that much. Jim Tressel's staff remains intact, and Ohio State returns 16 starters, including 10 on offense. The only spot that sees a decent amount of turnover is safety, as the Buckeyes lose both Kurt Coleman and Anderson Russell. They also will have a new look along the defensive line, although Cameron Heyward is a familiar face, one opposing offensive linemen won't be happy to see.

Sidelined: Ohio State is healthy entering camp, although the Buckeyes are down a running back as Jermil Martin will transfer. The Scarlet and Gray will have incoming freshman running back Rod Smith on the field after Smith met his academic requirements.

Key battle: Let's start at kicker, a position that always means a lot to a Tressel-coached team. Aaron Pettrey departs, and Devin Barclay needs to rebound after struggling at times this spring. Punter Ben Buchanan and freshman Drew Basil are possibilities if Barclay can't hold down the top job. The other key battle takes place at left tackle, as junior Mike Adams tries to lock up a starting spot ahead of Andrew Miller and others.

New on the scene: Ohio State isn't deep at wide receiver and could find room for James Louis and Corey Brown. Defensive back Christian Bryant will have a chance in the secondary, and linebacker David Durham also might make an early impact. Carlos Hyde could work his way into a crowded mix at running back after enrolling a year later than expected. Basil will be a factor on special teams.

Back in the fold: Tyler Moeller is cleared for full contact after suffering a head injury last summer as an assault victim. Moeller played linebacker early in his career, but was on track for a possible starting job at safety in the spring of 2009. As Ohio State looks to replace Coleman, Moeller might be the answer.

Breaking out: Everyone is raving about sophomore defensive lineman John Simon, a weight-room superstar who saw some action last season. There also was some buzz this spring about linebacker Etienne Sabino, who should join Ross Homan and Brian Rolle in the starting lineup. Ohio State needs a No. 3 wide receiver, and watch out for redshirt freshman Chris Fields. (continued at link)

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/14291/opening-camp-ohio-state

xX-TSK-Xx
08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
'Humbled' Terrelle Pryor says he wants to be OSU's QB as a senior in 2011

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- To hear one Ohio State player tell it, Terrelle Pryor maybe wasn't a great teammate during his first two years as a Buckeye. Of course, the player explaining this was Pryor himself.

"I think I was a little arrogant, to tell the truth," Pryor said Sunday, speaking to reporters at Ohio State's team photo day. "You think about it and I came in as a junior in high school and everybody was praising me, everyone was being around me and everybody was telling me how I great I am. It can be kind of ... you lose your humbleness. And [now] I feel humble. I feel very humble, very appreciative."

No one's looking for a transformation from Pryor, now a junior with 23 games of experience since he took over as the starting quarterback in the fourth game of his freshman season. But everyone's always looking for progress.

Three days into Ohio State's preseason camp, his throwing motion seems even a bit more over the top, a continued improvement from his days slinging it as a freshman. His surgically repaired left knee, protected by a brace as it was in the spring, seemed fine as he rolled out and threw on the move during practice Sunday. His haircut has changed -- "a boxcut," Pryor said, "just a little old school, something different."

And restating what he said during spring practice, Pryor feels more comfortable with everything that goes into lining up, taking that snap and controlling a game.

"I really feel like I'm a quarterback now," Pryor said. "I feel like I can be a complete quarterback, but I can also run the ball. It's going to be interesting. I feel smarter and with how much I grew, it's going to be an interesting year for me."

Offered up for comparison, here's Pryor's description of himself a year ago at photo day, before his sophomore season.

"Right now, I'm a running quarterback," Pryor said in August of 2009. "I'd like to be a quarterback than can run someday. But right now, I'm a running quarterback."

... "I want to leave a legacy, that's my goal," Pryor said. "That's why I'll be here for four years. I can't wait. I'm so happy." (continued at link)

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2010/08/humbled_terrelle_pryor_says_he.html?DB_OEM_ID=1730 0

xX-TSK-Xx
08-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Ohio State made one of the four regional SI covers for the college football preview.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs258.snc4/40231_421965464798_9362894798_4518966_5214769_n.jp g

GitNoLuv
08-16-2010, 06:51 PM
And that cover is our Jinx. BAH. :P

Glad to see Pryor taking his job as QB seriously...and recognizing his strengths and weaknesses. He could have a very bright NFL future.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-16-2010, 10:45 PM
And that cover is our Jinx. BAH. :P

Glad to see Pryor taking his job as QB seriously...and recognizing his strengths and weaknesses. He could have a very bright NFL future.

God. I hope we arn't jinxed. Thankfully, though,the cover was regional so Bama, Boise State and Texas got the jinx also. :lol:

With Pryor, I too am glad to see he has his head on straight. As the article says, he was pretty arrogant comming to Columbus. I read a quote from Tyler Moeller a few weeks ago which he said a lot of the upper classmen thought Terrelle was a punk his freshman year.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Williams' knee: What it means

The sight of Nathan Williams hopping off the field Saturday -- literally, not putting any weight on his left leg -- had to be a bit unsettling for the Buckeyes.

Ohio State has four good-to-very-good starting defensive linemen: Williams, Dexter Larimore, Cameron Heyward and John Simon. But among those four, only Heyward has proved himself as a durable, every-down player....Simon played in spurts last year, Larimore has struggled with injuries and Williams has never been counted on to play as much as he is in line to this season.

And beyond those four, it gets sketchy. Nobody can reliably say what Solomon Thomas, Melvin Fellows, Garrett Goebel or Adam Bellamy (the next four on the two-deep) can do on the field, they just haven't played enough to judge.

Freshmen such as David Durham (at Williams' spot, pass-rushing end) and Jonathan Hankins (at tackle) may end up contributing, but again, that's a "may," not a "will."

So the extent of Williams' injury is important. Tim May reported in today's Dispatch that it is a sprain. By definition, a sprain is an injury to a ligament. A grade 1 sprain would mean the ligament is simply stretched and it's a matter of pain and swelling. Grade 2 would involved a partial tear. (continued at link)

http://blog.dispatch.com/buckeyesblog/2010/08/williams_knee_what_it_means.shtml

Not good news. Hopefully Williams will be back by the Miami game. D-Line depth is already pretty sketchy.

memphissteelergirl
08-17-2010, 02:42 PM
A little sumthin-sumthin' for the Buckeye lovers....to get ya more pumped up for the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPNnIFH6_RU

Enjoy! :wink02:

xX-TSK-Xx
08-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Heres an interview with Terelle Pryor. He does seem to be a lot more mature than the past two seasons.

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/videos/football.asp

xX-TSK-Xx
08-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Hall to redshirt

COLUMBUS, Ohio - There have been rumors floating around that Ohio State sophomore offensive lineman Marcus Hall was going to be academically eligible.

Though Ohio State would not confirm that's the case, Hall did announce Friday evening that he will redshirt his sophomore season in order to focus on academics and his growth on the field.

"Due to the fact that I didn't satisfactorily complete my academic responsibilities, I will be redshirting during the 2010 season," Hall said in a statement. "I'm looking at this in a positive way -- as an opportunity to get better on and off the field, to get stronger in the classroom, and be better prepared all-around for the rest of my time at Ohio State.

"I will still be practicing every day, not just to help myself get better, but to help my teammates get better." (continued at link)

http://ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1116091

Kind of a blow. I have heard good things comming out of camp about him. Hopefully he can get acedemics straight and make a big impact next season.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Offense wins back scarlet jerseys

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State football team's offense couldn't help but shake their heads in disbelief after being blown out by the defense in the spring jersey scrimmage.

On Saturday in the fall version of the team's biggest inter-squad scrimmage of preseason camp, the offense got its revenge.

The offense won the jersey scrimmage 54-48 in Ohio Stadium Saturday afternoon, getting there mostly by avoiding the turnover. While there weren't many offensive fireworks, the offense's win broke a three-year winning streak by the defense and will they earned the right to sport the scarlet practice jerseys this season.

"The (offense) only turned it over once," Tressel said. "And the reality is if you only turn it over once in 140 plays, you're probably going to win. To me, that was the only significant thing."

Ohio State was led by quarterback Terrelle Pryor, who started the day off slow by leading the first-team offense to a 3-and-out in addition to missing on his first four pass attempts.

However, Pryor settled down and hooked up with senior wide receiver Taurian Washington on a 25-yard touchdown pass to give the Buckeyes their only touchdown of the game.

Pryor, who wore the black "non contact" jersey for the entire scrimmage, finished the day completing 10-of-22 passes with a touchdown and no interceptions. Though Pryor was slowed on plays by being limited with the black jersey, Tressel has noticed the progression in the junior quarterback.

"A year ago there was (frustration with the black jersey), but he is so glued into progressing at everything he is doing," Tressel said. "He knows that when the day comes and he gets to wear the normal jersey it might be like freedom, but he will still stay within the steps of his reads and so forth and I think he has had a great preseason." (continue at link)

http://ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1116308

xX-TSK-Xx
08-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Maurice Clarett hopes for UFL tryout

Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Former Ohio State tailback Maurice Clarett has gotten back into the classroom. Now he wants to get back onto the football field.

Clarett filed a motion with a judge asking to be allowed to travel to try out with the Omaha Nighthawks of the United Football League. A review of the motion was tentatively set for Monday afternoon and then later pushed back to Aug. 30. Clarett cannot leave the state until he receives clearance from the court.

On Monday, Clarett, who led the Buckeyes to the 2002 national championship, finished up 4½ months in a locked-down, dormitory-style facility that serves as a transition for those getting out of prison. He has asked Franklin County Common Pleas Court Judge David Fais to leave the state to try out for the pro team.

His attorney, Michael Hoague, said Clarett was ready to make the most of the opportunity.

"Since he re-enrolled in summer-quarter classes at Ohio State, he's been going to school and also working out each morning at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center," Hoague said. "He looks really good."

Clarett pleaded guilty in 2006 to aggravated robbery and carrying a concealed weapon and served 3½ years in a Toledo prison. He has been attending classes at Ohio State while living in a detention facility in Columbus. Now he will either move to Nebraska to try to make the team or will find an apartment and continue his schooling.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5488450