PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Reportedly Won’t Bring Back WR Hines Ward

86WARD
02-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Hines Ward is one of the iconic Pittsburgh Steelers so playing football in anything but black and gold would feel like a mismatch. But NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora told “NFL Total Access” Friday that Ward won’t be back next season, according to his sources. As the Steelers work to restructure contracts and manuever below the salary cap, the circumstances are dictating the twilight of Ward’s 14-year career. On the books, he has one year and $4 million left on his current contract. On the field, Ward also took a backseat to youngsters Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown, posting his lowest receiving totals since his rookie season in 1998.

Source: NFL.com (http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/10/la-canfora-steelers-wont-bring-back-ward/)

O'Malley
02-10-2012, 08:45 PM
I was under the impression that we would not hear the final word on Ward until March 1st... Is this just reporting to report?

zulater
02-10-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm guessing his source is "educated guess". :coffee:

Count Steeler
02-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Don't let it end like this Hines. Retire a Steeler.

O'Malley
02-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Nothing on the official Steelers page.. I will beleive it when I see it.

Hindes204
02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I really hope they find a way to make it work...just one more year. I don't want to see him play anywhere else and I still think he can contribute

fansince'76
02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I was under the impression that we would not hear the final word on Ward until May 1st... Is this just reporting to report?

Or no sooner than March, at least - I think that is when roster bonuses start to kick in.

tube517
02-10-2012, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised but I don't trust LaCanfora. I'll believe it when I see it.

O'Malley
02-10-2012, 08:53 PM
It's on NFL page not the Steelers page... I see this a lot.. Hope it's just bad reporting.

O'Malley
02-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Or no sooner than March, at least - I think that is when roster bonuses start to kick in.

Fixed it on my post.. I meant March 1..

bayz101
02-10-2012, 09:15 PM
:doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2012, 10:06 PM
No surprise. He was behind Cotchery on the depth chart. Maybe he retires and then playsvthisvseason for the Colts

bayz101
02-10-2012, 10:24 PM
No surprise. He was behind Cotchery on the depth chart. Maybe he retires and then playsvthisvseason for the Colts

:lol:

JayC
02-10-2012, 10:30 PM
this is arians fault for not throwing more bubble screens his way

tube517
02-10-2012, 10:31 PM

With Ben in Indy. :chuckle:

The Duke
02-10-2012, 10:32 PM

ugh, I seriously hope not...

wouldn't mind him as a cheap #5 just for the chance at another ring, but his skills are mostly gone, no need to go elsewhere. Retire Hines!

86WARD
02-10-2012, 11:12 PM
I'd be pissed if they kept Hampton and Farrior and let Ward go. If Ward goes, the other old guys should follow, if not precede him. I like the "Youth movement," but would love Ward to stick around one more season...

steelerdude15
02-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Just reading the title made my heart sink.

Aussie_steeler
02-11-2012, 02:45 AM
I couldnt bare to see my dog get old.
I looked at her with clouded vision.
My vision was clouded with love and fond memories.
Close friends appreciated that dog and were saddened to see her get old.
She declined and aged quickly towards the end.
She could only walk around the yard boundaries as her eyesight failed.
She didnt rush to her food to engulf it down quickly.
She even started to soil herself without even knowing.

I knew it was getting close to the time that I should put her down.
I kept hoping that fate would intervene and one day she would die peacefully in her sleep.
I kept prolonging the inevitable until one I just knew it was the right thing to do.

The look in her eyes said it all. Please end it for me because I dont have the capacity to do it myself.
I finally summed up the courage to take her to the vet.
She walked inside with me knowing what lay ahead.
I lifted her onto the table and gave her one last hug

The vet placed the needle in and I watched her slowly leave us.
I was devasted and relieved at the same time.
I will admit that I cried a few tears.

I broke the news to my wife and two young daughters
They were devasted and they too cried.
We buried our pet with dignity
We celebrated her life and shared stories

Our spirits lifted, but our hearts were still heavy.
Every time we saw her picture, or another border collie we were reminded of her.
We would talk about her with foundness and love in our hearts, and still do.

But we love our new maltese shitzhu too
Zac is a great dog and my daughters love him dearly
But they still shed a tear whenever they think of ROXY

Why do I share this story...............

Everyone has a favourite dog or pet. Everyone hates to see it get old. Everyone loses objectivity when it comes to making decisions when loved ones are hurting.

Everyone would have a similar story from some aspect of their life.

If you havent worked this out, my story is an analogy for footballers too.
We hate to see it but our favourites will all eventually have to put down their boots.
Some will do it willingly. Some will have it taken from them in their prime.
And others unfortunately will need someone to hold their hand and show them the way.

For some Hines Ward may indeed be " the most favourite pet / steeler" for many of us.
My advice is too prepare for the inevitable. Sad and Unfortunate, but true.

I just hope that Hines can see the end coming and go out on his terms and not be laid to rest at the hands of others.

Aussie

steelreserve
02-11-2012, 04:52 AM
I had a favorite dog one time, but then it got old and just started blowing diarrhea out of its butt everywhere.
One time we were sitting down to eat dinner, and all of a sudden - BWWWUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT all up and down the wall, its hips bucking up and down, for 12 full seconds.
I timed it with a stopwatch I kept at the table for the purpose.
The whole family used to gather around and laugh every time it happened, because we were insensitive motherfuckers.
My 6-year-old brother Jake would even point.
We laughed some more and high-fived him for that.

Anyway, one day we knew it was time.
We went with the family up to our favorite spot by the sea, and up on top of a big cliff overlooking the waves.
It was so serene.
I found a big stick, and ran up to the edge of the cliff egging our dog on, then right at the end, I wound up and threw it as far as I could in a beautiful arc through the sky.
The dog didn't buy it, and stopped short of the edge, watching the stick fall down into the waves and wagging his tail.
None of us knew what to do.
We all thought he was dumb enough to run right over the cliff, but there he was, wagging his tail and smiling.
So I ran up behind him and delivered a big roundhouse kick, as hard as I could.
It was the most perfect kick of my life.
I was only 10 years old, but it hit him right in the asshole and lifted him a good three feet into the air.

As he was flying over the edge, he looked back at me.
On his face was an expression speaking of incredible betrayal.
How could you do this to me?
Then it wore off and he was just excited to be falling, and I was excited for him too.
We watched him fall down 100 feet, 200 feet, more, wondering if he'd clear the rocks.

He didn't, by the slimmest of margins.
Tumbling end over end, just his head clipped a rock by the waterline, and a faint red mist spattered into the surrounding tidepools.
It didn't take long before the birds closed in and started eating little bits of brain off the rocks.
I felt horrified - what have I done?
But then there was Jake, running up with a big grin on his face
And Dad, giving me a big hug and a power handshake
"Good job son, way to be a man. I'm proud of you."

Then we all hugged, and a tear came into my eye
and Dad grabbed me by the throat and snapped at me,
"Don't be such a pussy. I did not raise a son who's going to play for the Patriots."

Then we all laughed and went out for pizza,
and when we were done and piling into the car, I found our dog's old leash
and I felt sad, so I laid it on the ground
and then I pissed all over it and set it on fire
and then we drove off like assholes, yelling and kicking up tons of gravel into the air with our tires.

That was my favorite dog ever, and I'll always miss him.
Later, we all went to jail for armed robbery.

If you couldn't tell, that story was about Hines Ward. I'm not sure how, or what the point was, but think about it and you'll understand how significant he was to this football team.

Iron Steeler
02-11-2012, 04:53 AM
I couldnt bare to see my dog get old.
I looked at her with clouded vision.
My vision was clouded with love and fond memories.
Close friends appreciated that dog and were saddened to see her get old.
She declined and aged quickly towards the end.
She could only walk around the yard boundaries as her eyesight failed.
She didnt rush to her food to engulf it down quickly.
She even started to soil herself without even knowing.

I knew it was getting close to the time that I should put her down.
I kept hoping that fate would intervene and one day she would die peacefully in her sleep.
I kept prolonging the inevitable until one I just knew it was the right thing to do.

The look in her eyes said it all. Please end it for me because I dont have the capacity to do it myself.
I finally summed up the courage to take her to the vet.
She walked inside with me knowing what lay ahead.
I lifted her onto the table and gave her one last hug

The vet placed the needle in and I watched her slowly leave us.
I was devasted and relieved at the same time.
I will admit that I cried a few tears.

I broke the news to my wife and two young daughters
They were devasted and they too cried.
We buried our pet with dignity
We celebrated her life and shared stories

Our spirits lifted, but our hearts were still heavy.
Every time we saw her picture, or another border collie we were reminded of her.
We would talk about her with foundness and love in our hearts, and still do.

But we love our new maltese shitzhu too
Zac is a great dog and my daughters love him dearly
But they still shed a tear whenever they think of ROXY

Why do I share this story...............

Everyone has a favourite dog or pet. Everyone hates to see it get old. Everyone loses objectivity when it comes to making decisions when loved ones are hurting.

Everyone would have a similar story from some aspect of their life.

If you havent worked this out, my story is an analogy for footballers too.
We hate to see it but our favourites will all eventually have to put down their boots.
Some will do it willingly. Some will have it taken from them in their prime.
And others unfortunately will need someone to hold their hand and show them the way.

For some Hines Ward may indeed be " the most favourite pet / steeler" for many of us.
My advice is too prepare for the inevitable. Sad and Unfortunate, but true.

I just hope that Hines can see the end coming and go out on his terms and not be laid to rest at the hands of others.

Aussie

Man. That was a sad story. I just want to stay home today and spend the whole day with my dog now!

I understand what your saying tho. Hines should realize he had great career and should retire aa a Steeler!

ALLD
02-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Even at vet minimum Ward is risking his health. Not only has he slowed dramatically and dropped many passes, he is also leaving himself exposed like never before and taking punishing hits. He is like a boxer who stayed in the ring too long thinking he still had it, but lost it a few fights ago.

zulater
02-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Ward wasn't even that great as a blocker last year. He had a a few shining moments, but overall his play was lackluster throughout the season.

Buckinnuts
02-11-2012, 07:49 AM
man I hope not...but thats the steelers history of stuff like that...if he is let go I wish him the best and rest assured we will miss the small things he does even when not on the field, being a mentor and a vetern leader and classy guy that he is...knowing he wants to restructure to stay...give him one more year....I know there will be a lot of devastated fans out there....I can think of a few others other than Hines I would rather see be released...smith , hampton, foote, farrior

stillers4me
02-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Mark Kaboly@MarkKaboly_Trib
If Hines doesn't come back it is not going to be because of money. It is because the #Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Steelers) think he has nothing left to offer on field

slippy
02-11-2012, 07:59 AM
i love ward as much as anybody, but if two receivers get injured at the same time do you sentimental guys really want hines coming in as the third or second receiver? it could cripple the passing game.

what if sanders has another injury year and wallace pops a hammie.

tube517
02-11-2012, 08:08 AM
They need to sign Cotchery if they don't re-sign Ward

86WARD
02-11-2012, 08:12 AM
i love ward as much as anybody, but if two receivers get injured at the same time do you sentimental guys really want hines coming in as the third or second receiver? it could cripple the passing game.

what if sanders has another injury year and wallace pops a hammie.

Would you rather have Ward in there or a guy off the street?

86WARD
02-11-2012, 08:13 AM
They need to sign Cotchery if they don't re-sign Ward

Yes Please.

SteelerFanInStl
02-11-2012, 09:43 AM
I'd be pissed if they kept Hampton and Farrior and let Ward go. If Ward goes, the other old guys should follow, if not precede him. I like the "Youth movement," but would love Ward to stick around one more season...

I like Hines as much as the next guy but it's not the same situation. Hampton and Farrior are both still starters and Hines is no better than a 4th WR. Are you going to start Foote at ILB? Sylvester? I don't know if Foote is any better than Farrior and Sylvester is still unproven. Are you going to start McClendon at NT? He's not even really a NT. Move Ziggy there? I wouldn't like that.

We'll be drafting replacements for both this year but those guys probably won't be starting this year.

polamalubeast
02-11-2012, 09:52 AM
He has very good chance that this rumor is true

Godfather
02-11-2012, 11:09 AM
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/Images/Icons/Iconwah.gif at the dog stories.

O'Malley
02-11-2012, 12:10 PM
If this is true, I have to get a new jersey.. Any suggestions?

vader29
02-11-2012, 12:16 PM

http://secure.steelers.com/MediaContent/thumb_250/120162.jpg

BigNastyDefense
02-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I hope that if the Steelers choose to go that route, that they give him the opportunity to retire instead of just uncerimoniously cutting one of the greatest player in Pittsburgh Steelers history.

polamalubeast
02-11-2012, 12:50 PM

Polamalu,woodley...

O'Malley
02-11-2012, 01:03 PM
http://secure.steelers.com/MediaContent/thumb_250/120162.jpg

That's what I was thinking.

Buckinnuts
02-11-2012, 01:05 PM
a friend of mine told me never by a jersey with a name other than yours...get your favorite number on it and your name on it because with this day of free agency and lack of team loyalty...they are gone before you know it...makes sense

stillers4me
02-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Scott Brown@ScottBrown_Trib (Brown@ScottBrown_Trib)Hines Ward's representatives have yet to hear from Steelers.

O'Malley
02-11-2012, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=polamalubeast;263810]Polamalu,woodley...[/QUOTE

Want to have for a while...

bayz101
02-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Scott Brown@ScottBrown_TribHines Ward's representatives have yet to hear from Steelers.

Yeah...Won't be buying into it until it comes from the Steelers.

GutterflowerSteel
02-11-2012, 01:22 PM
a friend of mine told me never by a jersey with a name other than yours...get your favorite number on it and your name on it because with this day of free agency and lack of team loyalty...they are gone before you know it...makes sense

I proudly wear my #86 Hines jersey on game days :tt02:

vader29
02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
From Hines facebook:

I don't normally like to respond to rumors, but as I've said all along, I want to finish my career with the Pittsburgh Steelers. And as I've already told the organization, I am willing to work with them to restructure my contract to make sure this happens. - HINES

oneforthetoe
02-11-2012, 01:35 PM
From Hines facebook:

I don't normally like to respond to rumors, but as I've said all along, I want to finish my career with the Pittsburgh Steelers. And as I've already told the organization, I am willing to work with them to restructure my contract to make sure this happens. - HINES

Therein lies the problem ..... restructure does not necessarily mean playing for less.

ALLD
02-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Therein lies the problem ..... restructure does not necessarily mean playing for less.

I remember when Hines held out and Cower got him back to practice before the Rooney's would negotiate. Good move since we went on to win the SB that year with Hines being SB MVP. Hines might figure he is owed the money already negotiated. Hope he is flexible.

GodfatherofSoul
02-11-2012, 01:54 PM
I had a favorite dog one time, but then it got old and just started blowing diarrhea out of its butt everywhere.
One time we were sitting down to eat dinner, and all of a sudden - BWWWUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT all up and down the wall, its hips bucking up and down, for 12 full seconds.
The whole family used to gather around and laugh every time it happened, because we were insensitive motherfuckers.

EPIC

O'Malley
02-11-2012, 02:28 PM

not a bad idea either

The WH
02-11-2012, 02:42 PM
I have 2 Hines Ward Jersey's but I am not bothered by this situation at all. Hines, there is no restructuring needed here, either you retire..or you're gone. The writing was on the wall midway through last season. there isn't a player in this league that is worth paying 4 million just to have sitting on the bench.

Don't be Wines Hard if the Steelers don't keep you. You can either retire a Steeler, a legend, a one of a kind true life one-teamer. Or you can go to another team and be like every other vet in this league that wanted just one more payday.

Besides, Hines, if you retire (which you should) and don't leave a sour taste in this fickle crowds mouths....you can most likely make more than 4 million next year doing something a hell of a lot easier.

SMR
02-11-2012, 02:56 PM

We went with the family up to our favorite spot by the sea, and up on top of a big cliff overlooking the waves.
It was so serene.
I found a big stick, and ran up to the edge of the cliff egging our dog on, then right at the end, I wound up and threw it as far as I could in a beautiful arc through the sky.
The dog didn't buy it, and stopped short of the edge, watching the stick fall down into the waves and wagging his tail.
We all thought he was dumb enough to run right over the cliff, but there he was, wagging his tail and smiling.
I was only 10 years old, but it hit him right in the asshole and lifted him a good three feet into the air.

Then it wore off and he was just excited to be falling, and I was excited for him too.
We watched him fall down 100 feet, 200 feet, more, wondering if he'd clear the rocks.

Tumbling end over end, just his head clipped a rock by the waterline, and a faint red mist spattered into the surrounding tidepools.
It didn't take long before the birds closed in and started eating little bits of brain off the rocks.

"Don't be such a pussy. I did not raise a son who's going to play for the Patriots."

and then we drove off like assholes, yelling and kicking up tons of gravel into the air with our tires.

If you couldn't tell, that story was about Hines Ward. I'm not sure how, or what the point was, but think about it and you'll understand how significant he was to this football team.

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as I did after reading this.

WOW!

bayz101
02-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Ward took to FaceBook to speak his mind:

https://www.facebook.com/officialhin...50564451675945 (https://www.facebook.com/officialhinesward/posts/10150564451675945)

Aussie_steeler
02-11-2012, 04:03 PM

It was so serene.

I'll pay that one you funny prick

You definitely have a way with words.

PS: every time your got buttF8cked in prison did you thank Hines for the new memories or did you just remember the old ones.

Isnt that an old chinese proverb - for every hit in the ass you give you shall receive it back ten fold by your big prison daddy

JayC
02-11-2012, 04:06 PM
i agree with everything the FO has done this offseason thus far but I really hope they don't release Hines. Let him have his wish of 1 more year with us, he deserves it. It will be a sad day if he gets released after all he's done.

The WH
02-11-2012, 04:55 PM
i agree with everything the FO has done this offseason thus far but I really hope they don't release Hines. Let him have his wish of 1 more year with us, he deserves it. It will be a sad day if he gets released after all he's done. I think they should, but they shouldn't pay him 4mil to ride the pine.

86WARD
02-11-2012, 05:44 PM
I like Hines as much as the next guy but it's not the same situation. Hampton and Farrior are both still starters and Hines is no better than a 4th WR. Are you going to start Foote at ILB? Sylvester? I don't know if Foote is any better than Farrior and Sylvester is still unproven. Are you going to start McClendon at NT? He's not even really a NT. Move Ziggy there? I wouldn't like that.

We'll be drafting replacements for both this year but those guys probably won't be starting this year.

They aren't starters...Hampton was awful and Farrior was a part time player most of the season.

polamalubeast
02-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Ed: Steelers Sources Say No Decision on Ward Yet

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=114817

SteelerFanInStl
02-11-2012, 06:15 PM
They aren't starters...Hampton was awful and Farrior was a part time player most of the season.

That's funny because they're both listed as starters on the depth chart and I believe that both of them started every game this year when healthy. Who are you going to replace them with? We don't have their replacements on the roster yet so you can't just cut them.

There's no question that both of them are in serious decline but we have to find their replacements before getting rid of them. Hopefully that'll happen in the draft this year and those guys will be ready to step in and play.

86WARD
02-11-2012, 07:17 PM
They may be starters on paper, but they both are shadows of their former self. The defense was much more effective when Hampton was on the sideline...and I'm a Big Snack fan. Farrior was no where near a full time player...again...maybe a starter on paper, but not near what he used to be.

Count Steeler
02-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I think some of these changes may be 1 year late, but I am hopeful we can make the right moves in the draft and in FA to get us well positioned for #7.

GBMelBlount
02-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Give Ward a chance to legitimately earn a roster spot. That's all. Ward is a fighter and will hopefully redouble his offseason efforts.

It's that damn dancing with the stars....it zpped his mojo.

zulater
02-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Ed: Steelers Sources Say No Decision on Ward Yet

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=114817

Just a reporter running with his own speculation.

I don't think Ward will be on the opening day roster either. But if I had a column I wouldn't go reporting that opinion as if it was a sourced fact.

I think the Steelers will meet with Ward and discuss the options sometime before the first OTA.s I would imagine the choices wont be pleasant for Hines, but I think a door might be opened a crack if they don't resign Cotcherty But at a very reduced salary. One thing you can't have, you can't have Hines as a 5th receiver again. That's a roster spot that needs to be cheap and play special teams.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Which is more sad? Seeing Hines released, or seeing him as the #5 wR and inactive on game day.

Move along Hines. Congrats on the 2 super bowls, 1000 catches and $millions in the bank. Best wishes.

Moose
02-12-2012, 06:04 AM
I'm still hoping they can work out a deal with Ward. I know Ward doesn't want to leave football yet, he wants to retire a Steeler, the fans like Ward, the Pittsburgh community like Ward, the F.O. likes Ward, he can still play ball and teach the younger receiver's, and the plus is he's willing to work out a deal on his current contract.....so with all of these pluses, why would they turn him loose ? Let him hang around for another year and see what happens. There may always be an injury somewhere where Hines can step in....and you know there is always a spot somewhere on Special Teams where he could fit in.....just my opnion.

GoSlash27
02-12-2012, 06:05 AM

Pure gold! I'm stealing it :D

suitanim
02-12-2012, 06:36 AM
It's time.

86WARD
02-12-2012, 08:48 AM
I'd rather have Ward at $300K than a guy off the street for the minimum of 465,000 or 590,000. If Ward accepts a pay cut, it would only cost the Steelers $300K more than if they outright released him. Plus there would be dead money on the books for two years.

Count Steeler
02-12-2012, 09:48 AM
I'd rather have Ward at $300K than a guy off the street for the minimum of 465,000 or 590,000. If Ward accepts a pay cut, it would only cost the Steelers $300K more than if they outright released him. Plus there would be dead money on the books for two years.

He would add value just as a mentor to the young receivers for one more year. Being that there is going to be a new offense and all. Ward will probably "get it" sooner than the young players.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2012, 10:03 AM
He would add value just as a mentor to the young receivers for one more year. Being that there is going to be a new offense and all. Ward will probably "get it" sooner than the young players.

Nfl vet minimum is just under $1 million for Hines. You want to pay him that to mentor 2 WR that had 1000 yard seasons and went to the pro bowl?

Tell him to retire, pay him as a coach and save the roster spot for someone with upside. I can't stand to watch him catch token bubble screens any more.

Count Steeler
02-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Nfl vet minimum is just under $1 million for Hines. You want to pay him that to mentor 2 WR that had 1000 yard seasons and went to the pro bowl?

Tell him to retire, pay him as a coach and save the roster spot for someone with upside. I can't stand to watch him catch token bubble screens any more.

Fair enough. It doesn't look like this situation is going to make it to training camp. I thought from the previous post that they could pay him $300,000. If the decision has to be made now, then, Ward should retire. His only chance to make the team is if someone gets injured. If Cotchery resigns, Ward would be #5 at best.

Even Wes Lyons, if he is still out there would be useful as a 6' 8" target in the red zone.

O'Malley
02-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Fair enough. It doesn't look like this situation is going to make it to training camp. I thought from the previous post that they could pay him $300,000. If the decision has to be made now, then, Ward should retire. His only chance to make the team is if someone gets injured. If Cotchery resigns, Ward would be #5 at best.

Even Wes Lyons, if he is still out there would be useful as a 6' 8" target in the red zone.

Especially since the tallest receiver on the roster is 6'3" and I've never heard of him.

XxKnightxX
02-12-2012, 12:35 PM
You know what this means.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZzSeX2ctOaA/SoVzo7wX3YI/AAAAAAAACj0/KqXWZ0Iqt7Y/s400/limas%20sweed.jpg

Its the Comeback of the Sweed taking over the World tour!!!

Count Steeler
02-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Especially since the tallest receiver on the roster is 6'3" and I've never heard of him.

Wes Lyons was on our team in preseason.

86WARD
02-12-2012, 04:21 PM

If Ward was released he'd count about $1.2M against the cap. If he's kept, $1.5M. So basically you are paying $300K to keep him or you are paying a 1 or 2 year vet $400-$600 on top of the $1.2M.

86WARD
02-12-2012, 04:23 PM
[/U]

I think we all know that the "tall red zone target" is about as useful as finding the next "Bus." Not necessary to win a championship...far from necessary...lol.

Shoes
02-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Which is more sad? Seeing Hines released, or seeing him as the #5 wR and inactive on game day.

Move along Hines. Congrats on the 2 super bowls, 1000 catches and $millions in the bank. Best wishes.

That's how I see it.....go out in grace Hines

Count Steeler
02-12-2012, 05:02 PM
If Ward was released he'd count about $1.2M against the cap. If he's kept, $1.5M. So basically you are paying $300K to keep him or you are paying a 1 or 2 year vet $400-$600 on top of the $1.2M.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

Craic
02-12-2012, 05:44 PM

And that, put succinctly, is why he should at least be invited to camp. If he retires, (I could be wrong, I haven't check it out in a while) the cap hit is very different. So let him come to camp and see if he can win a position. I have no problem with him being a 5th receiver and basically a player-coach. Heck, that's what Batch has basically been for the last what, 7 years?

steelpride12
02-12-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't think it has to do with money, I just feel he wants to move on from a team that would have him behind Cotchery and possible a #5 or 6 reciever on the depth chart. Maybe it's just time, but I feel a decision soon is better than later. If Ward goes we need to sign and hold on to Cotchery as long as possible. Guess we just have to wait and see.

GodfatherofSoul
02-12-2012, 06:31 PM

$300K difference...plus a roster slot.

86WARD
02-12-2012, 07:03 PM
$300K difference...plus a roster slot.

Charlie Batch, Injured Aaron Smith, Antwan Randle El...the list goes on. They've kept lesser dead weight on the roster in the past...it wouldn't be a surprise if he stayed.

katmandu
02-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Charlie Batch, Injured Aaron Smith, Antwan Randle El...the list goes on. They've kept lesser dead weight on the roster in the past...it wouldn't be a surprise if he stayed.He's worth his weight in gold in the locker room and mentor/coach to the young bucks.

tihmtahm
02-13-2012, 08:38 AM
I hope he signs for $1 million like Bettis did.

Tugger
02-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I saw a lot of plays where Hines was open. Ben just refused to take the 5 yard gain, instead he wanted the deep ball to Wallace and ended up getting sacked. Think about it, Hines is old so he's not running far or over the middle, but he's there. If Hines got the ball more, it would cause the safeties to honor him along with the TE and free up the wideouts.

Austin87
02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
And that, put succinctly, is why he should at least be invited to camp. If he retires, (I could be wrong, I haven't check it out in a while) the cap hit is very different. So let him come to camp and see if he can win a position. I have no problem with him being a 5th receiver and basically a player-coach. Heck, that's what Batch has basically been for the last what, 7 years?

Good post.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Where is it that Ward only counts $1.5 million against the cap this year? He is due a base salary of $4 million, plus whatever part of his prorated signing bonus. I thought that if he is released before March, that the Steelers would save that $4million and have to still pay the prorated portion of his bonus.

I was under the impression that releasing him saves a lot of $ and space.

SteelGhost
02-13-2012, 12:54 PM
I saw a lot of plays where Hines was open. Ben just refused to take the 5 yard gain, instead he wanted the deep ball to Wallace and ended up getting sacked. Think about it, Hines is old so he's not running far or over the middle, but he's there. If Hines got the ball more, it would cause the safeties to honor him along with the TE and free up the wideouts.

I've seen that too, if Hines stays, MAYBE Haley can tell Ben to use him more to pick those 5 yds :noidea:

suitanim
02-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Wow! Now an "anti-Ben-to-Ward-in-favor-of-the-Arians-favored(I'm guessing)-long-ball-conspiracy"!

Sweet! I can't wait to see what's next!

The WH
02-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Why can't some of you just accept that he's not as good as he once was?

whodat1
02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
I could see keeping him with the Steelers as a WR coach.

O'Malley
02-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Wes Lyons was on our team in preseason.

Personally I liked the kid.. But not really a spot for him I guess... Would be nice to pick up a tall receiver though.. Huge advantage to have in the Red Zone..

SteelGhost
02-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Why can't some of you just accept that he's not as good as he once was?

I do, IMHO it's time for him to retire before he gets a bad injury.

SteelGhost
02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Wow! Now an "anti-Ben-to-Ward-in-favor-of-the-Arians-favored(I'm guessing)-long-ball-conspiracy"!

Sweet! I can't wait to see what's next!

Hey Suit, no conspiracy here :wink02:

GoSlash27
02-13-2012, 04:28 PM
I'll pay that one you funny prick

You definitely have a way with words.

PS: every time your got buttF8cked in prison did you thank Hines for the new memories or did you just remember the old ones.

Isnt that an old chinese proverb - for every hit in the ass you give you shall receive it back ten fold by your big prison daddy

Now, now... don't be sore. He is, indeed, a "funny prick". That's his strong suit. You inadvertently inspired him to create the funniest thing I've read this year.

Butch
02-13-2012, 05:35 PM

Yep I saw many times where Hines was open and Ben didn't throw to him. For those who say Hines hasn't performed like in the past I would like to know how many times he was targeted this year, compared to how he did in past years. I'll have to see if I can find something on that.

ALLD
02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Hines was dropping 2yd passes one yard behind the line of scrimmage. Many times he was initially targeted this way and then never got it together the rest of the game. It seemed like his mental game never showed up this season. You just can't wing it and hope to be successful on a regular basis. The game did not speed up so much as he slowed way down. Not exclusively his foot speed, but how to get open, where he was supposed to be and critically, his hand/eye coordination.

Butch
02-14-2012, 05:25 AM
Hines was dropping 2yd passes one yard behind the line of scrimmage. Many times he was initially targeted this way and then never got it together the rest of the game. It seemed like his mental game never showed up this season. You just can't wing it and hope to be successful on a regular basis. The game did not speed up so much as he slowed way down. Not exclusively his foot speed, but how to get open, where he was supposed to be and critically, his hand/eye coordination.

Dropped passes hmmm do you think he dropped more than Heath I saw him drop many very catchable passes this year??? As for getting open I re-iterate he was open in many of the late games and was never targeted, not sure why he was not thrown to when Heath was if it was about dropped passes.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to get rid of Heath just using him as an example.

suitanim
02-14-2012, 05:39 AM
I saw lots of guys running open all year. The QB can only throw to one-at-a-time. Throwing the ball down the field a few times a game is a good idea because:
A) It sometimes works (Wallace had quite a few of these)
B) It keeps a D honest
C) Even if it's picked off, a 40 yard bomb INT can still change field position in a net positive way

crcsnail
02-14-2012, 06:27 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/twould-be-a-shame-if-hines-ward-didnt-retire-a-steeler?urn=nfl,wp18878

mmm dont like the photo in this link :(

Dino 6 Rings
02-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Charlie Batch, Injured Aaron Smith, Antwan Randle El...the list goes on. They've kept lesser dead weight on the roster in the past...it wouldn't be a surprise if he stayed.

yep, and maybe, just maybe, Ward could also hold on FGs and PATs so we can at least pretend to have a fake in our playbook...no one is going to honor a fcking Punter as the holder...ever...just saying. (that's a little joke about my hatred of having the punter hold that I've been against since forever)

Dino 6 Rings
02-14-2012, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE=polamalubeast;263810]Polamalu,woodley...[/QUOTE

Want to have for a while...

go Old School, retired player. Lambert, Mean Joe, Harris, Bradshaw, or even Bettis. I currently have Mean Joe, Bettis, Bradshaw and Polamalu.

SteelMember
02-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Looks like Cook was inspired to "tell it like it is" in this morning's PG.

It's time to realize Steelers owe Ward nothing

http://postgazette.com/pg/12045/1210001-87.stm

SteelMember
02-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Trust me, I am a BIG Hines Ward fan. I love what he's done, and how he's represented this team. I would hate to see him go, but I don't think there's any way he can compete with our younger and faster group of WR's. Should we really consider keeping him on the roster for +/- 1 million to be a possible 5th wideout who may not even dress game days? Would that really make us better or give us the best chance to win?

suitanim
02-14-2012, 09:07 AM
This is right and wrong: The Steelers don't owe Ward anything in the future. But they do owe him respect now. And by respect, I just mean handling his situation properly.

If he wants to play, lower his salary accordingly and give him a shot to make the roster. But someone, probably Tomlin, needs to sit down and have a man-to-man talk with him. If he comes in and can't cut it, he won't make the team simply out of sentimentality or past accomplishments. The Steelers HAVE rewarded past performance versus future realities a couple times in the past and it has come back to haunt them.

There's also no need for the fans to be divided over this issue, too. Whether you think he should retire (as I do) or not, I don't think anyone is siding with denying the guy a shot if that's what he wants and if he understands all the conditions.

crcsnail
02-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Looks like Cook was inspired to "tell it like it is" in this morning's PG.

http://postgazette.com/pg/12045/1210001-87.stm

i am also a huge hines fan . he is my fav player . but that article tells it like it is . i somehow hope he comes back for one more year but i doubt it :)

Austin87
02-14-2012, 11:30 AM
This is right and wrong: The Steelers don't owe Ward anything in the future. But they do owe him respect now. And by respect, I just mean handling his situation properly.

If he wants to play, lower his salary accordingly and give him a shot to make the roster. But someone, probably Tomlin, needs to sit down and have a man-to-man talk with him. If he comes in and can't cut it, he won't make the team simply out of sentimentality or past accomplishments. The Steelers HAVE rewarded past performance versus future realities a couple times in the past and it has come back to haunt them.

There's also no need for the fans to be divided over this issue, too. Whether you think he should retire (as I do) or not, I don't think anyone is siding with denying the guy a shot if that's what he wants and if he understands all the conditions.

Agree 100%. Good post.

SteelGhost
02-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Agree 100%. Good post.

+ 1

Butch
02-14-2012, 07:06 PM
I saw lots of guys running open all year. The QB can only throw to one-at-a-time. Throwing the ball down the field a few times a game is a good idea because:
A) It sometimes works (Wallace had quite a few of these)
B) It keeps a D honest
C) Even if it's picked off, a 40 yard bomb INT can still change field position in a net positive way

Here's why it's bad.
A) 3 and outs kill the D
B) Ben seldom connects on the long bombs to Wallace or any other receiver
C) Longer drives help out D and hurt theirs

Yes the QB can only throw to one receiver but to not get a single pass to one receiver is beyond ridiculous especially when the receiver is wide open and the guy Ben passes to is not or the pass is under or over thrown.

As for Hines making the team he's the one who always comes to camp with his name taped to his helmet until he makes the team. I don't think Hines would expect anything other than that. If given that chance I trust Hines would make the catches to impress those who doubt him and therefore make the team on the up and up not just something that was given to him.

86WARD
02-14-2012, 08:21 PM
So with Ward theoretically gone, that leaves Brown and Sanders as the only two receivers on the team. Went from one of the strongest units in the league to one that is very thin and now very raw because of the new offense that is being installed.

fansince'76
02-14-2012, 08:26 PM
So with Ward theoretically gone, that leaves Brown and Sanders as the only two receivers on the team.

Has Wallace signed a deal with someone else I don't know about?

Count Steeler
02-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Has Wallace signed a deal with someone else I don't know about?

No, but we have been so "optimistic" on this forum recently, that of course we would believe he won't remain a Steeler.

Come on fellow Steelers fans, let's ditch the doom and gloom. I for one am excited to see the changes coming this off season. Looking forward to a great season next year.

fansince'76
02-14-2012, 08:31 PM
No, but we have been so "optimistic" on this forum recently, that of course we would believe he won't remain a Steeler.

True. People treated it as a foregone conclusion that Omar Khan was as good as gone to the Rams a few days ago too.

suitanim
02-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Here's why it's bad.
A) 3 and outs kill the D
B) Ben seldom connects on the long bombs to Wallace or any other receiver
C) Longer drives help out D and hurt theirs

Yes the QB can only throw to one receiver but to not get a single pass to one receiver is beyond ridiculous especially when the receiver is wide open and the guy Ben passes to is not or the pass is under or over thrown.

As for Hines making the team he's the one who always comes to camp with his name taped to his helmet until he makes the team. I don't think Hines would expect anything other than that. If given that chance I trust Hines would make the catches to impress those who doubt him and therefore make the team on the up and up not just something that was given to him.

I said a few times a game.

So now we need to take the long ball out of the playbook, too? Christ, Haley won't have much to work with...

86WARD
02-15-2012, 02:16 PM
True. People treated it as a foregone conclusion that Omar Khan was as good as gone to the Rams a few days ago too.

No he hasn't and hes not under contract in Pittsburgh either. But as i said in another thread, the direction this is going, the Steelers need to be very careful with what they do with him and what they pay him. It's gonna have a HUGE impact with how the two guys coming up behind him are handled. Ideally you'd like to keep all three in a perfect world, but a case can be made that Brown is a better receiver than Wallace and would you want to pay him more than Wallace when that time comes? Can you afford it?

Butch
02-15-2012, 07:57 PM
I said a few times a game.

So now we need to take the long ball out of the playbook, too? Christ, Haley won't have much to work with...

Maybe if Ben could connect on it more consistantly it would be a more effective weapon.

Also my point was not so much removing the long bomb as it was not throwing a single pass to a receiver who was wide open more than a few times when Ben decided not to pass to him. It's not always long balls as much as it was just not passing to Hines for an entire game sometimes Passing to guys who were covered over a wide open Hines. I don't buy the argument that Hines was dropping passes was the reason. He passed to Heath who dropped some very catchable passes but it didn't cause Ben to ignore him for an entire game.

zulater
02-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Maybe if Ben could connect on it more consistantly it would be a more effective weapon.

Also my point was not so much removing the long bomb as it was not throwing a single pass to a receiver who was wide open more than a few times when Ben decided not to pass to him. It's not always long balls as much as it was just not passing to Hines for an entire game sometimes Passing to guys who were covered over a wide open Hines. I don't buy the argument that Hines was dropping passes was the reason. He passed to Heath who dropped some very catchable passes but it didn't cause Ben to ignore him for an entire game.

Ward wasn't open nearly as often as you think. Ben had no anti Ward bias. Sure he didn't see him every time he was open. But that's true of every receiver you have. You only have one ball, it just works out that way.

Ward just wasn't his the same player last year as he's been in past seasons. Even his blocking wasn't up to his normal standards. The coaches have no anti Ward agenda, Ben has no anti Ward agenda, Butch you're the one with an agenda. Your fandom of Hines has blurred your vision. He dropped to 5th on the depth chart, because that's where his play put him.

He was a great Steeler. But now it's time for him to move on.

Butch
02-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Ward wasn't open nearly as often as you think. Ben had no anti Ward bias. Sure he didn't see him every time he was open. But that's true of every receiver you have. You only have one ball, it just works out that way.

Ward just wasn't his the same player last year as he's been in past seasons. Even his blocking wasn't up to his normal standards. The coaches have no anti Ward agenda, Ben has no anti Ward agenda, Butch you're the one with an agenda. Your fandom of Hines has blurred your vision. He dropped to 5th on the depth chart, because that's where his play put him.

He was a great Steeler. But now it's time for him to move on.

Oh I'll freely admit there is no bigger Hines fan than me, that being said I can understand not passing to Hines every time he's open but he was not passed to even once for an entire game not once. So am I to believe he couldn't get open more than a few times in an entire game??? You can knock me for being a fan of Hines but maybe I'm also watching him more than someone who was willing to write him off the team before the season was over.

zulater
02-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Oh I'll freely admit there is no bigger Hines fan than me, that being said I can understand not passing to Hines every time he's open but he was not passed to even once for an entire game not once. So am I to believe he couldn't get open more than a few times in an entire game??? You can knock me for being a fan of Hines but maybe I'm also watching him more than someone who was willing to write him off the team before the season was over.

I'm not knocking you. Feel free to see it as you wish. Just don't be surprised if Hines is gone and has trouble finding another team.

suitanim
02-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Even an incomplete bomb still keeps the defense honest. It'd be different oif we threw 10 a game and only completed one every three games.

As Ed Reed pointed out "In the NFL, basically every play is just setting up another play".

katmandu
02-16-2012, 11:01 AM
I can understand not passing to Hines every time he's open but he was not passed to even once for an entire game not once.

So am I to believe he couldn't get open more than a few times in an entire game???No. You are correct Sir.

Ben's eyes are FAR-sighted and he obviously needs glasses to see things CLOSER to him...... like WIDE RECEIVERS !!!!!!! :lol: