PDA

View Full Version : Gerry: Did Brady spat fuel Haley hiring?

polamalubeast
02-10-2012, 03:15 PM
From the time Todd Haley first interviewed to become offensive coordinator, I became convinced the Steelers’ decision to hire him was based on something they saw in early December in another NFL game.

Remember the sideline spat between Tom Brady and Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien (now the Penn State coach) against the Washington Redskins that was caught on camera?

That’s when Brady threw a fourth-quarter interception in the end zone with the Patriots leading, 34-27, giving the Redskins another chance to tie the game.

O’Brien came over to him on the bench and the two began yelling at each other, with other players and coaches trying to keep him from going at Brady some more. Even Bill Belichick came over to calm O’Brien.

Nobody has ever said to this to me, but I think when the Steelers saw the video of the spat, just like everyone else in America, they thought, “If their coordinator can scream and yell at Tom Brady, why can’t our coordinator scream and yell at Ben Roethlisberger?”

read more

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114807-gerry-did-brady-spat-fuel-haley-hiring

fansince'76
02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
I could see this from a blogger, but this guy gets paid to write this. :doh:

...I think when the Steelers saw the video of the spat, just like everyone else in America, they thought, “If their coordinator can scream and yell at Tom Brady, why can’t our coordinator scream and yell at Ben Roethlisberger?”

No, actually my exact thoughts were "what a whiny little bitch." :coffee:

suitanim
02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Elvis!

Space Aliens!

Arians is only holding out for higher pay, and him and Haley will swap like Rivers and Eli did in 2004!

Count Steeler
02-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Now talk about reaching. If that is the reason that Rooney stepped in, then we are in serious trouble in Steelers Nation. However, I believe his theory has no basis in fact and that we will march our way onto SB #7.

tube517
02-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Next :coffee:

The Duke
02-10-2012, 04:11 PM
:rofl2:

that is all

X-Terminator
02-10-2012, 04:21 PM
I think we've officially gone into the ridiculous stage now. There is a whole hell of a lot of nonsense being spewed on an almost hourly basis...if I'm Haley and/or Ben, I'm probably laughing my ass off.

Come on now. Does anyone really believe there is going to be all of this tension between Ben and Haley?

stillers4me
02-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Is it September yet?

tube517
02-10-2012, 04:33 PM
We need more of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4cdb8i64zQ

:chuckle:

Michael
02-11-2012, 06:06 AM
We will probably never know if in fact this interaction influenced the decision makers but the principle of a Coach calling out a star Q B or any other player remains applicable. Brady in his post game conference admited he deserved the aggresive coaches rebuking. . Stated to the effect that being "coached to greatness is appreciated by him". I am so glad the days of Arians are over. Ben is going to be fine when Haley in his moment(s) of intensity spits in his face. LLoyd and others can handle Cowher's outbursts and showers from above the chin so can Ben handle Haley's Pittsburgh style leadership. I am sure he will.

Personally I think the O Brien & Brady incident was an eye opener for the powers to be. This is the most significant personnel change since drafting Ben. The proof will be measurable. An increase in at least 7 points per game and I hope for more.

ALLD
02-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Joey Porter's behavior in that clip is still disturbing to me, especially on national television.

GodfatherofSoul
02-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Joey Porter's behavior in that clip is still disturbing to me, especially on national television.

You should be used to it by now after watching Mendy hump Ben on national TV!

ShutDown24
02-11-2012, 01:58 PM
I have refrained from posting about this piece as I feel it truly doesn't deserve to be commented on, but I can't contain myself any longer. For anyone to suggest that the cat fight Bill O'Brien and Tom Brady shared on the sideline of that regular season game had any impact on the Rooney's/Coach Tomlin's decision to hire Coach Haley as offensive coordinator is absurd and certainly not insightful. This isn't Dallas or Oakland or the New York Jet's, it's Pittsburgh. The decision makers for this franchise do not formulate their opinions on frivolous over-publicized media created hype wagons.

GBMelBlount
02-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Intensity, anger, conflict and yes....yelling & screaming.... are natural in sports.

In fact, some players (like Ben) NEED a coach to really push them to be their best....and I think the Rooneys realize this too.

It's just funny that Dulac has only NOW realized that conflict and tension CAN be a positive thing.

BigNastyDefense
02-12-2012, 12:45 AM
I highly doubt that they decided to hire Haley solely based on the fact that he will rip Big Ben if he feels Ben needs it.

However, I would bet money the fact that he will rip Ben was something that didn't negatively affect management's decision to hire him.