PDA

View Full Version : The Pittsburgh Steelers' Top 10 Worst Free Agency Moves

polamalubeast
07-08-2010, 06:38 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/416809-the-pittsburgh-steelers-top-10-worst-free-agency-moves#page/10

The Pittsburgh Steelers' Top 10 Worst Free Agency Moves
by Eric M.

In 1993, NFL free agency became pretty much what we know today.
In the Steelers case, they did just fine, for the most part, by pretty much ignoring free agency and still building their teams through the draft.
The Steelers have made a lot of tough calls over the years, but more often than not the decisions they made proved to be the right ones.
This is a little list that showcases the bad calls. It was even hard to come up with ten, honestly. The Steelers haven't brought in bad players most of the time; it is more about letting players walk away.
Please feel free to comment and keep an eye out for my best 10 moves list coming soon.

10. and 9. Signing Jay Reimersma/Letting Mark Bruener Walk
These two moves kind of go together, even though they are a year apart.
In 2003, the Steelers signed tight end Jay Reimersma for three years and $4 million dollars. Most of us at the time thought we had a pretty good tight end and weren't sure they should spend money at that position.
The problem was that they wanted to throw to the tight end. Bruener had good hands, but wasn't a very good route runner and he didn't have the speed to stretch the field. He was, however, a powerful blocker and an important cog in the run game.
But the Steelers were transitioning into a pass-heavy offense and wanted weapons. So they started Reimersma and barely played Bruener, even starting Jerame Tuman in his place and relegating Bruener to the bench full-time. The result was a 6-10 record and a Bill Cowher-era worst 31st ranked rushing attack.
The Steelers let Bruener go in free agency, deciding to stick with the younger and better receiving tight ends.
An injury-riddled Reimersma retired after 2004 and caught just 17 passes during his two seasons, earning about three million for them.
The Texans took Bruener for near the veteran minimum, and he played four full seasons there, starting two of them.
Two years later the Steelers drafted a godsend in Heath Miller who did both jobs well. Still Bruener could have been a cheap quality back up for a couple of more years.

8. Signing Duce Staley
In 2004 the Steelers looked to boost a 31st-ranked running game and signed Duce Staley to a five-year, $14 million dollar deal with a $4 million dollar signing bonus.
Staley started the first ten games and had 830 yards for a 4.3 YPC average. He was powerful with a nice burst and fun to watch.
But Duce got injured and started just one more game in parts of three seasons with the Steelers.
Sometimes you can't see injuries coming, but there were some warning signs with Duce. He was approaching 30, hadn't played a lot the season before, and had at least two injury-riddled seasons with the Eagles.
It looked like a steal at first, but ended up being an expensive 900 yards that the Steelers paid for.

7. Losing Chad Brown
This is here solely for the loss of a young talent in his prime. The Steelers had reasons for it, because Brown was asking for a lot of money and they were pretty sure they had replacements on the roster.
The only problem was that Greg Lloyd only gave the Steelers one more injury-plagued season and none of the others were quite as dynamic as Chad.
Brown went on to give Seattle five-and-a-half great years before injuries started to tear him down a notch.
Three full seasons would pass before the Steelers had a player of Brown's caliber to lineup opposite Jason Gildon.

6. Losing Bryant McFadden
Normally I wouldn't consider losing a guy for one year a big loss, but this case is special because of William Gay.
The Steelers got lucky that Arizona allowed them a mulligan on this one. They received a fifth round comp pick for losing him and gave up a higher fifth rounder to get him back.
The play of William Gay last year makes it easy to speculate that McFadden's presence could have won Pittsburgh one more game. If that had happened, the Steelers would have been in the playoffs.
With the way things went in the AFC last year, who knows what would have happened if they got in? This move cost them big, even if it was only for one season.

5. Losing Hardy Nickerson
Hardy Nickerson was one of the Steelers' first major losses in this new free agency era, and he was a big one.
The Steelers didn't do a bad job of replacing him, first with Jerry Olsavsky and then with Chad Brown; that's the only reason he isn't higher on the list.
Nickerson went on to play ten more seasons, mostly for Tampa Bay, where they built their defense around him and started their surge as one of the better teams around the turn of the decade.
Nickerson was a five-time Pro Bowler and was twice selected first team All-Pro. He garners some fringe consideration for Hall of Fame induction someday.

4. Losing Gary Anderson
In the 1995 offseason the Steelers and one of the most accurate kickers in league history reached a stalemate on contract negotiations.
For what essentially boiled down to about $200,000 per year, the Steelers let Anderson and his historic leg walk right out the door.
They first planned to replace him with Dean Biasucci, who looked horrible in the preseason, and then were lucky when Norm Johnson became available. Had Johnson not been there, the Steelers could have paid for this decision for a long time.
Anderson went on to kick for 11 more seasons and was even more accurate than he had been during his Steelers career.

3. Signing Sean Mahan
During the 2007 offseason, the Steelers were scrambling to find a replacement for Jeff Hartings or at least bring in someone to compete with Chucky Okobi. They thought they had found their man in former Buccaneers starting guard and center Sean Mahan.
Boy, were they wrong. They signed Mahan to a five-year deal worth about $17 million that included $5 million in the first season.
Mahan started 16 games in 2007, and the Steelers saw enough. They traded him for basically nothing after just one season and replaced him with the mediocre Justin Hartwig.
Anytime Hartwig is the best option, you know you have a problem.

2. Losing Mike Vrabel
How can I put Vrabel ahead of Brown and Nickerson? Because the Steelers did not have the depth at the position that they had when the other two left.
In addition, Vrabel, unlike the others, wasn't demanding big money.
The Steelers appeared set with Porter and Gildon on the outside, but Gildon was winding down. Clark Haggans became the primary backup, and was not as good as Vrabel.
Vrabel also proved that he could provide depth at the ILB spot during his Patriots days, something the Steelers could have used in the immediate seasons following his departure.
Vrabel went on to start 124 regular season games and became a big part of four Super Bowl runs in the nine seasons since. He was also an All-Pro in 2007 and has been one of the most versatile players in the league.

1. Replacing Rod Woodson with....Donnell Woolford?

Of all the guys we let go, this was the biggest mistake.

The Steelers were ready to move on before they even sat down with Woodson. He was upset that they were negotiating with Donnell Woolford before they even spoke to him.

The Steelers were convinced he was done and for some reason did not see what seemed obvious to most of us: that he would transition to safety very well.

So they let him walk out the door and suffered in the defensive backfield for most of the next nine seasons.

All Woodson did was play seven more seasons, go to four more Pro Bowls and help two of our biggest rivals get two Super Bowls, getting his only ring with Baltimore.

Thankfully Woodson never held this blunder against the team and went into the Hall as a Steeler.

He remains one of the biggest Steelers' fans out of all the talking heads on television.

Woolford lasted one sub-par season with the Steelers before never playing again.

zulater
07-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Let me address a few of these.

I loved Rod woodson, he truly was one of the best Steelers ever. But he lost a step when he blew out his knee in 95 and was unwilling at that point to acknowledge it by moving to safety. After leaving the Steelers he had a mediocre year in San Fran, and it was only after that that he finally conceeded that his NFL future had to be at safety. a position he was unwilling to play for the Steelers.

Duce Staley set the tone for the 2004 season. For the first half of that season he was easily the Steelers best offensive player. He also had some good games in 2005 subbing when the Steelers were down to their last back.

It wasn't a bad signing whatsoever in my opinion because Duce was a big part of two highly successfull seasons.

Hardy Nickerson was a much better 4-3 middle linebacker than he was a 3-4 inside lb'er. He was a good player with the Steelers but far from what he would become with the Bucs in a system that better suited his ability.

zulater
07-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Losing Leon Searcy right when he was becoming a quality starter was among the Steelers worst moves since the free agency era began.

wootawnee
07-09-2010, 03:11 AM
Preston Pierson was a big lost.........He was one of the best 3rd down backs of all time........

also,

We would not have went 15-1 in 04 without Duece.........Only 2 other teams ever had that record.....

solardave
07-09-2010, 05:23 AM
I disagree about Staley. It really bothered me watching him on the sidelines knowing we paid him all that money to sit. What he did for us was not nearly enough IMHO. Rod admitted he should have moved to safety and Mr. Rooney said it was his biggest mistake letting him walk. I think that's why he went in as a loyal Steeler. Not only that but I feel like if it wasn't for him Dick Lebeau would have been passed over. that plug in his speech really helped.

st33lersguy
07-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Losing Leon Searcy right when he was becoming a quality starter was among the Steelers worst moves since the free agency era began.

Yeah replacing Leon Searcy with Jamain Stevens should have made the list

zulater
07-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Not that the Steelers weren't rationale in their thinking, but losing Neil O'Donnell to free agency after the 95 season might have cost the Steelers another appearance or two in the Super Bowl. Take the 96 team for instance that went 10-6 and easily took out the Colts in the Wildcard round. What would that team have done with a real qb? Tomczak stunk that season ( 401-222-2767- 55.4 % 15 td's 17 int's) and the Steelers were still legitimate contenders all season long. Same goes for 97 when Korkie threw away the AFC title game to the Broncos.

tube517
07-09-2010, 09:52 AM
NOD is a tough one to look back on. Granted he threw away SB XXX but he was still a better QB than Tomczak. But, what did O'Donnell do after he left? Floundered w/the Jets and then became a career backup. I think I will let the Steelers slide with this one.

Searcy was a glaring omission from the list.

McFadden walking worse than Chad Brown walking? Nope.

Not that the Steelers weren't rationale in their thinking, but losing Neil O'Donnell to free agency after the 95 season might have cost the Steelers another appearance or two in the Super Bowl. Take the 96 team for instance that went 10-6 and easily took out the Colts in the Wildcard round. What would that team have done with a real qb? Tomczak stunk that season ( 401-222-2767- 55.4 % 15 td's 17 int's) and the Steelers were still legitimate contenders all season long. Same goes for 97 when Korkie threw away the AFC title game to the Broncos.

BlastFurnace
07-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't agree with #5 at all. Levon Kirkland stepped in and only became the best ILB in all of football for about 4 years...even better than Nickerson.

SteelMember
07-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I disagree about Staley. It really bothered me watching him on the sidelines knowing we paid him all that money to sit. What he did for us was not nearly enough IMHO. Rod admitted he should have moved to safety and Mr. Rooney said it was his biggest mistake letting him walk. I think that's why he went in as a loyal Steeler. Not only that but I feel like if it wasn't for him Dick Lebeau would have been passed over. that plug in his speech really helped.

I don't know which "Mr. Rooney" you are speaking of, but I have always heard not drafting Dan Marino was the biggest mistake. Losing Rod is up there too, but I don't think he wanted to play at home on a "carpet" anymore either.

SteelMember
07-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Yeah replacing Leon Searcy with Jamain Stevens should have made the list

Don't remind me.

Drafting a replacement that would admittedly take "years" to groom was abismal.

That fatass finally got cut after he passed out running sprints at camp. Great investment.

Also, not a FA move, but CUTTING Johnny Unitas... wow. :doh:

SteelGhost
07-09-2010, 01:09 PM
No "love" for Mitch Berger ? :chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
07-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Vrabel at #2? :lol: Vrabel wasn't a great player for the Steelers. He was just a back up and didn't do much of anything. He became a much better player after going to the Patriots.

Steeldude
07-10-2010, 06:31 AM
losing mcfadden? lol...you have got be kidding. gay played better than mcfadden last year.

solardave
07-10-2010, 08:23 AM
I don't know which "Mr. Rooney" you are speaking of, but I have always heard not drafting Dan Marino was the biggest mistake. Losing Rod is up there too, but I don't think he wanted to play at home on a "carpet" anymore either.

I'm pretty sure it was Art II that said that about Marino. As for Rod it was Dan Rooney that said he regretted not only handling the situation better but also not resigning him. I can't remember where I saw it but I remember hearing him say it. (for what it's worth)

SteelerFanInStl
07-10-2010, 09:46 AM
losing mcfadden? lol...you have got be kidding. gay played better than mcfadden last year.

I think that most people would disagree with you on that one, especially the Steelers. Why do you think the Steelers went out and got McFadden back from AZ? Gay stunk last year and I think he proved that he's not a starting CB. McFadden's not great, but in the Steelers defense, he's better than Gay.

Steely McSmash
07-10-2010, 10:07 AM

The topic is FA moves not draft history

steeldawg
07-10-2010, 10:53 AM
No "love" for Mitch Berger ? :chuckle:

He sure gets my vote.

HughC
07-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Vrabel at #2? :lol: Vrabel wasn't a great player for the Steelers. He was just a back up and didn't do much of anything. He became a much better player after going to the Patriots.
Would you be saying the same thing about James Harrison had the Ravens not cut him, allowing for the Steelers to re-sign Silverback?

As I recall Vrabel could have been re-signed for about the vet minimum and a very nominal signing bonus, but he was never even given an offer. It wasn't like he was horrible; the Steelers' starters were solid at the time. For what he could have been re-signed for he was at that time a solid backup and a very good special teams player. Obviously it's easy to say now with the benefit of hindsight, but still, reality is that the team gave up on him too early. It was essentially a waste of a third round pick.

HughC
07-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Well if they wanted to keep O'Donnell they should have extended him before that '95 season. Problem was that despite losing the Super Bowl, somebody was going to overpay for him - which is exactly what the Jets did. Five years for $25 million when the cap was about $40 million was way too much for him. You only pay that big a percentage of your cap to a QB if he's one of the league's best. He was at best no more than a top ten QB of his time when he was with the Steelers, probably more like #12 or #15 in the league at the time.

SteelerFanInStl
07-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Would you be saying the same thing about James Harrison had the Ravens not cut him, allowing for the Steelers to re-sign Silverback?

As I recall Vrabel could have been re-signed for about the vet minimum and a very nominal signing bonus, but he was never even given an offer. It wasn't like he was horrible; the Steelers' starters were solid at the time. For what he could have been re-signed for he was at that time a solid backup and a very good special teams player. Obviously it's easy to say now with the benefit of hindsight, but still, reality is that the team gave up on him too early. It was essentially a waste of a third round pick.

Harrison is a completely different story from Vrabel. He wasn't even playing in his early years with the Steelers. By his own admission, he was lost. Vrabel played but he was simply nothing special. He was even thinking about retiring from football before he went to the Pats. Did the Steelers give up on him too early? Maybe, maybe not. There's no guarantee that he would've turned into the same player had he stayed with the Steelers.

SteelMember
07-12-2010, 09:00 AM
The topic is FA moves not draft history

Thank you Mr. Thread Monitor.

I think it fell in with the conversation.

Did you have anything to add besides flashing your badge?:coffee:

86WARD
07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
meh...Mike Vrabel's not really one. In hindsight maybe. At the time, there was no way he was seeing the starting line up. He wasn't anywhere near what he turned out to be...

The football Gods paid the Steelers back for that "loss" with the eventual addition of James Harrison.

86WARD
07-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Letting Woodson walk hurt me. It hurt me a lot and seeing him win a Super Bowl with the Ravens was worse...

Steely McSmash
07-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Thank you Mr. Thread Monitor.

I think it fell in with the conversation.

Did you have anything to add besides flashing your badge?:coffee:

What my Hexxagon champion badge? oh sorry that's you :)