PDA

View Full Version : Did Mike Tomlin want to hire Todd Haley?

polamalubeast
02-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette raises this question in a column for Thursday’s paper. PFT’s Mike Florio also heard chatter at the Super Bowl that Tomlin didn’t want to hire Haley.

The Steelers won’t ever confirm this. Tomlin will attend Haley’s press conference Thursday, but the head coach won’t speak. By the time Tomlin does speak, he’ll know just what to say to turn Haley’s hire into a non-story.

Cook notes that Tomlin’s contract runs out after the 2012 season with an option for 2013, and wonders if Tomlin might want to move on to another job because of meddlesome owners. Tomlin looks weak in all this; head coaches are supposed to have control of their staff. (Especially Super Bowl-winning head coaches.)

read more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/did-mike-tomlin-want-to-hire-todd-haley/

facepalm

Bluecoat96
02-09-2012, 09:24 AM
AAARGH......Why does everything have to be a controversy with the media????!?!?!?!

fansince'76
02-09-2012, 09:26 AM
AAARGH......Why does everything have to be a controversy with the media????!?!?!?!

They have to write something to justify their jobs...

polamalubeast
02-09-2012, 09:28 AM
cook is a moron

GBMelBlount
02-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Kook

Tomlin looks weak in all this; head coaches are supposed to have control of their staff. (Especially Super Bowl-winning head coaches.)

Hey Kook,

Your offense is loaded with talent yet sucks.

As an owner do you fire the super bowl winning head coach or not offer a new contract to the Offensive Coordinator.

Now please get your head out of your nether region and write something constructive.

Bluecoat96
02-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I guess I could look at it as a compliment towards the Steelers. With their stability, any major coaching change is newsworthy. Ron Cook and Florio are still Bufoons, though.

Austin87
02-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Really silly article, wasted time reading that crap.

BlastFurnace
02-09-2012, 09:40 AM
We will know more after 2012 when Tomlin's contract is up. Let's hope for the best this year.

suitanim
02-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Isn't this like the third thread on the front page essentially beating the same dead horse?

The Duke
02-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Did Mike Tomlin want to hire Todd Haley?

No, he didn't. In fact I heard he hates him

is that enough to create a rumor??

fansince'76
02-09-2012, 10:53 AM
We will know more after 2012 when Tomlin's contract is up. Let's hope for the best this year.

Good point. Wonder if they give him another extension this summer.

BigNastyDefense
02-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Move on because of meddlesome ownership? I wouldn't quite call Art Rooney not renewing the contract of Bruce Arians meddling.

Is a head coach supposed to have control over his coaching staff? Yes, for the most part. But in the end, ALL decisions run through the owner. Rooney felt that the offense should have been better, and Arians was not under contract and he chose not to renew it. That's something that the owner is allowed to do. He is the one paying the salaries of the coaches, so if he wants one gone, he has the power to do so.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Tomlin's contract renewed this offseason.

BlastFurnace
02-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Good point. Wonder if they give him another extension this summer.

IMO, Tomlin is a top 5 coach. I sure hope they do.

Edman
02-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Ron Cook stirring **** up because his idol Arians is gone.

Tomlin looks weak? Well that's the risk we're going to have to take. Ben is a franchise QB with a ton of money poured into him. A bonafide franchise QB is VERY hard to find. He's the Rooney's investment, and like any owner, they want their investment as thriving as long as possible. We can no longer afford getting Ben beaten up every single year in a mostly underachieving offense when the Defense (The Driving force to the team's success) is getting older and less effective. It's been five seasons now with little to no improvement. Something needs to change. If Tomlin and Ben were not going to recognize the problem and fix it, then the Rooneys will do it for them. Simple.

Tomlin and Ben lost some of their luster near the end of the season with handling of Ben's Ankle Injury (That Ben caused himself with his cowboy play BTW), and getting Tebowed in the first round. That's why Arians is Gone and Ben being told to tweak (not change) his game. The Rooneys oversee the team 24/7. They watch all the games. They know what's going on. Ben (and the Steelers) were not going to survive long the way things have been going. If Tomlin looks "weak" then he has no one to blame but himself for not stepping in and taking charge.

After the Super Bowl loss, the Rooneys remained hands-off. There was no reason to intervene. But 2011 despite the 12-4 finish brought really troubling signs that would get worse if they didn't act soon.

Bluecoat96
02-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Move on because of meddlesome ownership? I wouldn't quite call Art Rooney not renewing the contract of Bruce Arians meddling.

Is a head coach supposed to have control over his coaching staff? Yes, for the most part. But in the end, ALL decisions run through the owner. Rooney felt that the offense should have been better, and Arians was not under contract and he chose not to renew it. That's something that the owner is allowed to do. He is the one paying the salaries of the coaches, so if he wants one gone, he has the power to do so.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Tomlin's contract renewed this offseason.

You stop with your common sense posts.:sarcasm:

tube517
02-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Fire All of these slackers. Rooneys, Tomlin, Haley, LeBeau, Lake, Butler, Khan, Colbert, etc.....they are all worthless. Bring in Jerry Jones and his son to take over. Just throw money wherever and whenever you want. I'm tired of these pitiful winning seasons and consistency.

Ron Cook should be a pulitzer prize winner for his consistent writing.

:sarcasm:

Chidi29
02-09-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't agree with Cook's idea that Tomlin could be gone (though note that he isn't saying the Rooneys would get rid of him rather Tomlin would decide to leave on his own) but other than that, he's right. Tomlin looks weak because of the move and the Rooney's overstepped their bounds by appearing to going behind Tomlin's back to get rid of Arians. It was a Jerry Jones' move.

suitanim
02-09-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't agree with Cook's idea that Tomlin could be gone (though note that he isn't saying the Rooneys would get rid of him rather Tomlin would decide to leave on his own) but other than that, he's right. Tomlin looks weak because of the move and the Rooney's overstepped their bounds by appearing to going behind Tomlin's back to get rid of Arians. It was a Jerry Jones' move.

But nobody wants to hear anything negative right now. Bing-bong, Arians is gone, and everything will be perfect and great now.

Steeldude
02-09-2012, 01:10 PM

How does it make him look weak? Rooney decided not to renew his contract. How do we know Colbert wasn't behind the entire thing?

O'Malley
02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Meddlesome owners? I wonder what Jerry Jones is..... Rooney steps in one time and now he's meddlesome... Wow either report something with facts, or don't report anyting at all.. Maybe the press should take the offseason off..

Chidi29
02-09-2012, 01:15 PM
How does it make him look weak? Rooney decided not to renew his contract. How do we know Colbert wasn't behind the entire thing?

Going off the reports, I've said all along that is an assumption we're making, it was Rooney who made the move. There has been no mention of Colbert. Regardless, it was clear Tomlin did not make the cal when it should have been up to him.

O'Malley
02-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Haley was a ball boy in the 70s... He knows what it means to be a part of this organization(his dad was a part of it for years).. I like this hire more every day.

Steeldude
02-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Going off the reports, I've said all along that is an assumption we're making, it was Rooney who made the move. There has been no mention of Colbert. Regardless, it was clear Tomlin did not make the cal when it should have been up to him.

Fortunately Rooney stepped in.

O'Malley
02-09-2012, 01:52 PM

If I agree does that make me a hater?.. If so then I guess I'm a hater...

X-Terminator
02-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Meddlesome owners? I wonder what Jerry Jones is..... Rooney steps in one time and now he's meddlesome... Wow either report something with facts, or don't report anyting at all.. Maybe the press should take the offseason off..

Ron Kook has never heard of this "facts" thing you speak of.

smokin3000gt
02-09-2012, 02:03 PM
WTH.. does there have to be some Jersey Shore type drama for everything now? The media is turning itself into more of a joke then it already is.

O'Malley
02-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Ron Kook has never heard of this "facts" thing you speak of.

Oh yeah, my bad.

Chidi29
02-09-2012, 04:01 PM

We can debate the merits of getting rid of Arians but that's not my point. It wasn't their call to make.

O'Malley
02-09-2012, 05:15 PM
-- Throughout the 16 minutes that followed him glowingly introducing former Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) coach Todd Haley as his new offensive coordinator, Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) coach Mike Tomlin stood proudly in the corner of the second-floor media room at the team's facility. During the press conference officially announcing Haley as the replacement for former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8262888e), Tomlin even offered approving nods and smiles at the appropriate times.
Wyche: A fond farewell to 2011
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/steve_wyche-110726_65.jpgWith another season in the books, Steve Wyche reviews 11 things from the 2011 campaign that we may never witness again. More ... (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d826c8a4c)

"As an offensive coordinator, he brings a wealth of knowledge and experience," Tomlin said. "But he also brings intangibles I really value."
Amid reports that Steelers president Art Rooney II orchestrated the departure of Arians and pushed for Haley to be his replacement above Tomlin's wishes, Tomlin made it a point to mention he was the one conducting the interviews for Arians' replacement.
"When I started this process of exploring potential coordinators, I talked to a lot of people and did a lot of research, and I was really impressed by him," Tomlin said. "Not only by his resume and his experience, but also his genuine love for the Pittsburgh Steelers."
A 15-year NFL coaching veteran, Haley stressed his ties to the Steelers organization and his reverence for its tradition. The son of former Steelers director of player personnel Dick Haley reminisced about growing up a team ball boy.
"All of my early memories in life somehow," Haley said, "revolved around the Steelers.
"I'm just very grateful coach Tomlin and the Rooney family thought enough of me to have me in here to help be part of continued greatness."
Haley, 44, was fired in December (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d824fad5d) after going 19-26 in two-plus seasons in Kansas City, leading the Chiefs to the 2010 AFC West title. As offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/teams/arizonacardinals/profile?team=ARI) the previous two seasons, Haley's offense was second in the NFL in passing

SMR
02-09-2012, 06:28 PM

EXCELLENT POST!!

Kudos.

SteelGhost
02-09-2012, 06:40 PM
*sigh* These "writers" must be golfing instead of trying to run a soap opera, sheesh.

steelerdude15
02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Tomlin WILL be back. There is absolutely no reason why he won't be.

steelerdude15
02-09-2012, 06:51 PM
No, he didn't. In fact I heard he hates him

is that enough to create a rumor??

Mike Tomlin had a grin from ear to ear after the conference today. I'd say he's happy about the hire.

polamalubeast
02-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers' problems? Did president Art Rooney II ignore coach Mike Tomlin's wishes in switch of offensive coordinators?

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2012/02/pittsburgh_steelers_problems_d.html

steelerdude15
02-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers' problems? Did president Art Rooney II ignore coach Mike Tomlin's wishes in switch of offensive coordinators?

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2012/02/pittsburgh_steelers_problems_d.html
I honestly could care less what people from Cleveland have to say.

zulater
02-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Ron Cook stirring **** up because his idol Arians is gone.

Tomlin looks weak? Well that's the risk we're going to have to take. Ben is a franchise QB with a ton of money poured into him. A bonafide franchise QB is VERY hard to find. He's the Rooney's investment, and like any owner, they want their investment as thriving as long as possible. We can no longer afford getting Ben beaten up every single year in a mostly underachieving offense when the Defense (The Driving force to the team's success) is getting older and less effective. It's been five seasons now with little to no improvement. Something needs to change. If Tomlin and Ben were not going to recognize the problem and fix it, then the Rooneys will do it for them. Simple.

Tomlin and Ben lost some of their luster near the end of the season with handling of Ben's Ankle Injury (That Ben caused himself with his cowboy play BTW), and getting Tebowed in the first round. That's why Arians is Gone and Ben being told to tweak (not change) his game. The Rooneys oversee the team 24/7. They watch all the games. They know what's going on. Ben (and the Steelers) were not going to survive long the way things have been going. If Tomlin looks "weak" then he has no one to blame but himself for not stepping in and taking charge.

After the Super Bowl loss, the Rooneys remained hands-off. There was no reason to intervene. But 2011 despite the 12-4 finish brought really troubling signs that would get worse if they didn't act soon.

Good post!

zulater
02-09-2012, 07:19 PM

If I agree does that make me a hater?.. If so then I guess I'm a hater...

Or if you disagree perhaps it makes you a Rooney hater?

Damn Chidi and his incessant Rooney hating!:mad:

:chuckle:

:wink02:

zulater
02-09-2012, 07:27 PM
-- Throughout the 16 minutes that followed him glowingly introducing former Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/profile?team=KC) coach Todd Haley as his new offensive coordinator, Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) coach Mike Tomlin stood proudly in the corner of the second-floor media room at the team's facility. During the press conference officially announcing Haley as the replacement for former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8262888e), Tomlin even offered approving nods and smiles at the appropriate times.
Wyche: A fond farewell to 2011
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/steve_wyche-110726_65.jpgWith another season in the books, Steve Wyche reviews 11 things from the 2011 campaign that we may never witness again. More ... (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d826c8a4c)

"As an offensive coordinator, he brings a wealth of knowledge and experience," Tomlin said. "But he also brings intangibles I really value."
Amid reports that Steelers president Art Rooney II orchestrated the departure of Arians and pushed for Haley to be his replacement above Tomlin's wishes, Tomlin made it a point to mention he was the one conducting the interviews for Arians' replacement.
"When I started this process of exploring potential coordinators, I talked to a lot of people and did a lot of research, and I was really impressed by him," Tomlin said. "Not only by his resume and his experience, but also his genuine love for the Pittsburgh Steelers."
A 15-year NFL coaching veteran, Haley stressed his ties to the Steelers organization and his reverence for its tradition. The son of former Steelers director of player personnel Dick Haley reminisced about growing up a team ball boy.
"All of my early memories in life somehow," Haley said, "revolved around the Steelers.
"I'm just very grateful coach Tomlin and the Rooney family thought enough of me to have me in here to help be part of continued greatness."
Haley, 44, was fired in December (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d824fad5d) after going 19-26 in two-plus seasons in Kansas City, leading the Chiefs to the 2010 AFC West title. As offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/teams/arizonacardinals/profile?team=ARI) the previous two seasons, Haley's offense was second in the NFL in passing

Wexall said last week that Haley really killed it ( in a good way) in his interview with Tomlin last week. Arians might not have been Tomlin's fire, but Haley was most certainly his hire.

Controversy over. I doubt you'll hear of anymore interfering from Art II in the future. This was an extreme case. I think Edman put it perfectly in his earlier post in this thread (post 14). Rather than me repeat it, just let me suggest you go read it again. Because I think he summarized exactly what Rooney set out to do, and why in this one instance it was the exact right thing to do.

btw the hire was still Tomlin's and I think it will prove to be a damn good one.

Shoes
02-09-2012, 07:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoy4nwtm5og&feature=related

zulater
02-09-2012, 09:02 PM
We can debate the merits of getting rid of Arians but that's not my point. It wasn't their call to make.

You know what else probably wasn't the Rooney's call to make? The Steelers first round draft pick. And according to Dan Rooney that's exactly what he did in 2004, when he stuck his nose in things and directed Cowher and Colbert to select Ben Roethlisberger!

Cowher was going to draft Shawn Andrews by the way.

Damn Rooney's and their Buttinski ways! When will they ever learn how to behave like proper owners?!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2012, 09:07 PM
You know what else probably wasn't the Rooney's call to make? The Steelers first round draft pick. And according to Dan Rooney that's exactly what he did in 2004, when he stuck his nose in things and directed Cowher and Colbert to select Ben Roethlisberger!

Damn Rooney's and their Buttinski ways! When will they ever learn how to behave like proper owners?!

Blasphemy, all fiction and heresay. Just ask the astronauts of the Capricorn 1 moon mission. Rooneys fired the greatest Offensive coordinator that football has ever seen.

Chidi29
02-09-2012, 09:57 PM

It's a matter of principle. I would have been mad at them for it at the time, too. Hindsight isn't my guide.

GBMelBlount
02-09-2012, 10:04 PM
I don't agree with Cook's idea that Tomlin could be gone (though note that he isn't saying the Rooneys would get rid of him rather Tomlin would decide to leave on his own) but other than that, he's right.

Tomlin looks weak because of the move and the Rooney's overstepped their bounds by appearing to going behind Tomlin's back to get rid of Arians.

It was a Jerry Jones' move.

The Rooneys are no Jerry Jones and they had every right to make the decision as they own company.

I trust the Rooneys over Tomlin, ben or any college freshman who only knows what they read in books.

Chidi29
02-09-2012, 10:06 PM
The Rooneys are no Jerry Jones and they had every right to make the decision as they own company.

I trust the Rooneys over Tomlin, ben or any college freshman who only knows what they read in books.

get over it.

I said it was a Jerry Jones move. Not that they became Jerry Jones. I've said that before.

But go ahead and talk about age as if it matters.

zulater
02-09-2012, 10:13 PM
It's a matter of principle. I would have been mad at them for it at the time, too. Hindsight isn't my guide.

But it wasn't a matter of hindsight my friend. It was foresight, and acting upon such.

The thing is the Rooney's don't intervene often, so in the very rare instance that they do perhaps we should consider that they've thought things through and aren't acting in haste or on impulse?

Chidi29
02-09-2012, 10:20 PM
But it wasn't a matter of hindsight my friend. It was foresight, and acting upon such.

The thing is the Rooney's don't intervene often, so in the very rare instance that they do perhaps we should consider that they've thought things through and aren't acting in haste or on impulse?

But for me, it was hindsight to not be mad at them.

If they want to talk to Tomlin, that's fine, but they've built the reputation on letting the coaches coach. A coach, especially one as successful as Tomlin, should have the control over his staff. Simple as that, no matter how hard it is to jump in.

GBMelBlount
02-09-2012, 10:21 PM

Thank you for stating that so well Zu.

This is why the comments about a SINGLE action being compared to a Jerry Jones pattern are just crazy imo.

suitanim
02-10-2012, 10:59 AM
The UNSUBSTANTIATED rumor was that Cowher coveted Rivers. Regardless, both Manning and Rivers were off the board by time we picked, so the point is moot.

The Andrews bit is a combination of Tommy Maddox claiming he was told ahead of time that the Steelers weren't interested in a QB in Rd 1, and would instead "Select a tackle" (no mention of any names), and a lot of FANS WANTING Andrews.

I've never seen anything with even the veracity approaching a Rob Lowe tweet that Cowher wanted Andrews...In fact, this board is the first place I've ever seen or heard it. The Steelers went into the 2004 draft targeting a QB. The only reason there may have been speculation that they wouldn't draft one would have been that "The Big 3" would have already been gone by 11 (there was plenty of speculation that Ben was headed to Cleveland). JP Losman was the next guy down the board, and that was quite a drop-off.

So, basically, this is rumor, mixed with speculation and faulty memory all delivering up a revisionist history cocktail that just really does nothing but muddy the waters...

NCSteeler
02-10-2012, 11:27 AM

I'll have to re read Rooney's book, but I'm pretty sure he said he spoke up because he didn't do it when they skipped Marino and he always regretted it.

fansince'76
02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
The UNSUBSTANTIATED rumor was that Cowher coveted Rivers. Regardless, both Manning and Rivers were off the board by time we picked, so the point is moot.

The Andrews bit is a combination of Tommy Maddox claiming he was told ahead of time that the Steelers weren't interested in a QB in Rd 1, and would instead "Select a tackle" (no mention of any names), and a lot of FANS WANTING Andrews.

I've never seen anything with even the veracity approaching a Rob Lowe tweet that Cowher wanted Andrews...In fact, this board is the first place I've ever seen or heard it. The Steelers went into the 2004 draft targeting a QB. The only reason there may have been speculation that they wouldn't draft one would have been that "The Big 3" would have already been gone by 11 (there was plenty of speculation that Ben was headed to Cleveland). JP Losman was the next guy down the board, and that was quite a drop-off.

So, basically, this is rumor, mixed with speculation and faulty memory all delivering up a revisionist history cocktail that just really does nothing but muddy the waters...

It's true, actually.

An excerpt from Dan Rooney's book Dan Rooney: My 75 Years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL:

Our staff had concluded that Eli Manning and Philip Rivers were the most polished of the prospects available, but there also was a big, strong talented kid at Miami of Ohio named Ben Roethlisberger who intrigued a lot of our scouts. Manning and Rivers both were picked before our turn, and so our people seemed to have focused on Shawn Andrews, a big offensive tackle from Arkansas as our likely number-one pick.

But when our turn came, I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect the way we had passed on Dan Marino in 1983, so I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger. After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger.

Dan Rooney: My 75 Years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL (pg 264) (http://books.google.com/books?id=k1OU1Qv7-r8C&pg=PA264&lpg=PA264&dq=Steelers+Rooney+)

suitanim
02-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Well, good for Rooney then.

Watch this....

I WAS WRONG.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I'll have to re read Rooney's book, but I'm pretty sure he said he spoke up because he didn't do it when they skipped Marino and he always regretted it.

Good memory, but its probably UNSUBSTANTIATED because the book was probably ghost written by Ed Bouchette.

It's true, actually.

An excerpt from Dan Rooney's book Dan Rooney: My 75 Years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL:

Dan Rooney: My 75 Years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL (pg 264) (http://books.google.com/books?id=k1OU1Qv7-r8C&pg=PA264&lpg=PA264&dq=Steelers+Rooney+)
Meddling owner!! He should have stayed out of it and we would have had Andrews.

Iron Steeler
02-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Does anyone have that funny image of haley making that weird face?

Chidi29
02-10-2012, 12:57 PM

In that book, John Clayton was the one who told Rooney to pick Marino. When Rooney went to the team and let it slip that it was Clayton who approached him, the team laughed and ignored the idea and ended up taking Senor Sack instead.

fansince'76
02-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Does anyone have that funny image of haley making that weird face?

http://i45.tinypic.com/2m3mdf4.gif

BlastFurnace
02-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Tomlin WILL be back. There is absolutely no reason why he won't be.

I agree that he should be back. There is no reason for him not to be back. I'm just saying that we need to let this play out.

Iron Steeler
02-10-2012, 02:33 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2m3mdf4.gif

Hahahaha

SteelGhost
02-10-2012, 03:04 PM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/files/styles/article-main-image/public/file2Zzt7d

suitanim
02-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Good memory, but its probably UNSUBSTANTIATED because the book was probably ghost written by Ed Bouchette.

Meddling owner!! He should have stayed out of it and we would have had Andrews.

Cute.

There are still inconvenient facts in play here: Why did the Steelers want a QB, but ONLY Rivers? They were going to spend a first, but only on ONE particular QB? What did they see wrong with Eli? What did they see wrong with Ben? There were 4 first round projected QB's in 2004. But we only wanted one of them? We wanted a first round QB, but only ONE first round QB?

Something is rotten in Denmark....

Edman
02-10-2012, 03:37 PM
I honestly could care less what people from Cleveland have to say.

You have to understand that js how Cleveland fans get off these days. They have nothing else to cheer for. Why not cheer for the Demise of the Steelers? The Nostradamuses in the Mistake by the Lake have been "predicting" it for years now.

Count Steeler
02-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Well, good for Rooney then.

Watch this....

I WAS WRONG.

Can we get this framed?

Texasteel
02-10-2012, 03:54 PM
My daddy told me not to believe anything you read, and only half what you see on TV. I didn't know my dad was such a sports geneus.

suitanim
02-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Can we get this framed?

I say it when I'm wrong. Framing a common occurrence won't fetch you much.

But there are others.....

Nevermind. I really don't care one way or the other. Have your fun....

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Cute.

There are still inconvenient facts in play here: Why did the Steelers want a QB, but ONLY Rivers? They were going to spend a first, but only on ONE particular QB? What did they see wrong with Eli? What did they see wrong with Ben? There were 4 first round projected QB's in 2004. But we only wanted one of them? We wanted a first round QB, but only ONE first round QB?

Something is rotten in Denmark....

I'm not arguing any of the conspiracy theories about what went on. I just find it interesting that you are so adamant in your assertion that any talk of the Steelers or Cowher wanting to select Andrews on draft day, yet its reportedly the case in a book published by the Steelers owner.

Its not like you to argue against something that can be contradicted by a reliable source. Then again, Rooney's book isnt necessarily reliable as a Rob Lowe tweet.

I got to fess up, I havent read Rooneys book either. I aint much into dat book lernin stuff.

Dino 6 Rings
02-10-2012, 04:50 PM
How about this...and I'm just throwing it out there...

Tomlin wanted to move on from Arians, but knowing he has a Franchise QB that he can win more SBs with, and knowing his Franchise QB had a great personal relationship with the OC, he talked with the ownership and ownership agreed to play "Bad Cop" and ousted the OC. This way, Tomlin can then be involved in hiring the guy he wants, seeing him on the market and wanting to make a move now before someone else does, and can also come up roses with his Franchise QB, and they can rub elbows talking about how its "us vs the world" still and the Franchise QB doesn't feel as if his own Head Coach was working against his best buddy the old OC?

Just a thought...just throwing it out there...

O'Malley
02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
How about this...and I'm just throwing it out there...

Tomlin wanted to move on from Arians, but knowing he has a Franchise QB that he can win more SBs with, and knowing his Franchise QB had a great personal relationship with the OC, he talked with the ownership and ownership agreed to play "Bad Cop" and ousted the OC. This way, Tomlin can then be involved in hiring the guy he wants, seeing him on the market and wanting to make a move now before someone else does, and can also come up roses with his Franchise QB, and they can rub elbows talking about how its "us vs the world" still and the Franchise QB doesn't feel as if his own Head Coach was working against his best buddy the old OC?

Just a thought...just throwing it out there...

Makes more sense then any other version I've heard yet...

Tomlin did want to hire Haley, sooo... It fits, makes it all come together.. Good post!

JayC
02-15-2012, 10:29 PM
as this thread proves http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/12136-Steelers-GM-Kevin-Colbert-Says-Hire-Of-Todd-Haley-Was-Sole-decision-of-Tomlin

Cook is just another hack trying to get people to talk about him and stir up controversy

I'm not sure he believes his own BS stories half the time

smokin3000gt
02-15-2012, 10:54 PM
I very much doubt that the Rooney's and Tomlin are all walking around on eggshells as not to upset their QB. I doubt even more that Tomlin would go to his boss and say "Hey, I don't want my QB to be mad at me, so would you guys take the heat?". If he did that, he might as well have said "Hey, I can't do my job, will you guys get involved and get your hands dirty?"