PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Combine Mocks.

Texasteel
02-09-2012, 07:31 AM
We are getting pretty close to the combines, and I wanted to make a place to post and discuse our pre-combine mocks. I have done this in the past and have learned a bunch from the thoughts, and oppinions of other member. I have even changed my mind on a few players before the combine started, but the rule is, no changing till after the combine is over. Rule two, there is not rule two, just keep it nice.

1st - Mike Adams, OT, Ohio St. 6'7", 323lbs.,5.28/40. I still think that a LT is far harder to find than a OG, and I think Mike will be the BAP, if he is still available. Mike has a prototype LT body. A large man with very good footward and long arms. He does everything you want a LT to do and does it well. He has the footwork to stay in front of a speed russer, and the strength and blocking tech. to keep a bull russ from blasting into the backfield. This would also let us keep Gilbert at RT where he seems to be growing game by game, and keep us from hearing the words, "Starting at LT, Johnathon Scott.

2nd - Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisc. 6'4", 315lbs., 5.26/40. I have liked this kid from day one. Kevin, again does everything you want out of a LG, and does it very well. He has the feet and quickness to pick up a blitzing LBer. and seldom will miss his block. Where he is not quite as tech. sound as Adams, he is still able to seal off the inside, and will not let his man run free or force him into the QBs face. I think is the best pulling OG I have seen for some time. Uses his hands and strength well to cast off his 1st block and engage his man on the second level. He is also smart enought to know when the whisle blows, you don't jump on someones back.

3rd - Hebron Fangupo, NT, BYU, 6'1", 330lbs., 5.08/40. Nope I'm not kidding. Hebron started on USC, but transfered to BYU for family reasons. This caused him to have a bit of a slow start, and, I think has cause him to be overlooked by many. They are starting to notice him now. He has been moving up the charts and I think could land in this position in the 3rd round. Stronge kid that handles his weight well. Will clog up the middle on the run, and can push the pocket on passing plays. Will not give us many sacks but can push his man, or men, back into the pocket making life on the QB a lot harder. I beleive he had 33 TTs, with with 6 TFL.

4th - Aaron Henry, FS, Wisc., 6'0", 208lbs., 4.52/40. Made the transition from CB to FS, and is consitered a big play safety. Led the team in fumble recovered, and second on the team in INTs, and pass defended.

5th - Kevin Koger, TE, Mich., 6'3", 260lbs., 4.78/40. With the possible problem we may have at TE I think this could be a prudent pick. Kevin is nice sized with good hands, the one handed catch he made against Western Michigan was incredible. He is a good blocking TE but could get better with coaching. If we want a better running game, plus a better short game, I think he would be a good pick here.

6th - BJ Coleman, QB, Chattanooga, 6'3", 234lbs., 4.90/40. I know Harnish is the popular pick here, but I think BJ has more actual physical talent. He has a game much like Ben, He is a strong armed QB that can extend the play by moving around behind the line. Things you might not like, he tends to throw the ball to hard on short passes, needs to learn when to and when not to throw the ball, and a completion average that is under 60%. Still I think with good coaching, he can develop into a very nice backup.

7th - Cody Johnson, FB, Texas, 5'11", 250lbs., 4.70/40. The kid is built for the tough short yards. Like 1st and goal at the 1. Will not out run anyone, but a tough hard nosed player. Can blast a LBs out of the hole, but needs to work on his tech. to be able the hold his block, and his pass protection.

Aussie_steeler
02-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Will come back and analyse deeper Tex, but I would add another 7th rounder. We will get att least one compensation pick.

I know you have another 7th round gem up your sleeve. Off 2 work now so have a good day brother.

NEWSFLASH--- PATS just traded Nate Solder for a 2nd rounder from the saints I think. Are they getting ready to move up in the first to get someone or are they going to make a run at Mike Wallace with all their cap room.

ShutDown24
02-09-2012, 11:28 PM
NEWSFLASH--- PATS just traded Nate Solder for a 2nd rounder from the saints I think. Are they getting ready to move up in the first to get someone or are they going to make a run at Mike Wallace with all their cap room.

Where in the world did you hear this? I'm scrambling but can't find any info on this anywhere.

ShutDown24
02-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Here are selections I could see taking place

Round 1: Dont'a Hightower, Line Backer, Alabama

Round 2: Josh Chapman, Nose Tackle, Alabama

Round 3: Amini Silatolu, Offensive Line, Midwestern State

Round 4: Nate Potter, Offensive Line, Boise State

Round 5: Omar Bolden, Defensive Back, Arizona State

Round 6: Patrick Witt, Quarterback, Yale

Round 7: Adam Robinson, Offensive Line, Eastern New Mexico

Aussie_steeler
02-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Where in the world did you hear this? I'm scrambling but can't find any info on this anywhere.

It was 6am in the morning here and I was watching sportscenter. john clayton was talking about the patriots and a trade of Nate Solder. I scrambled to see what the hell was going on.

I cant find any reference and I am trying to work out what the hell went down.

Looks like you can call me out for screwing up. I am guessing that I must have screwed the pooch big time with my comprehension this morning.

maybe the continual subliminal messaging on ESPN has finally got to me and all I think about is extra ways to give the PATS extra draft picks.

This appears to be a monumental cock up on my behalf. How easy is it to start internet rumors. Better see my doc to get my meds checked.

ShutDown24
02-10-2012, 03:19 AM
It was 6am in the morning here and I was watching sportscenter. john clayton was talking about the patriots and a trade of Nate Solder. I scrambled to see what the hell was going on.

I cant find any reference and I am trying to work out what the hell went down.

Looks like you can call me out for screwing up. I am guessing that I must have screwed the pooch big time with my comprehension this morning.

maybe the continual subliminal messaging on ESPN has finally got to me and all I think about is extra ways to give the PATS extra draft picks.

This appears to be a monumental cock up on my behalf. How easy is it to start internet rumors. Better see my doc to get my meds checked.

Haha it happens. I was going to be absolutely shocked and baffled at that trade if it had really went down. Solder was a stud for the Patriots this year and considering they selected him in the middle of the first round I didn't see the reasoning behind trading him away for a second round pick.

7willBheaven
02-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Haha it happens. I was going to be absolutely shocked and baffled at that trade if it had really went down. Solder was a stud for the Patriots this year and considering they selected him in the middle of the first round I didn't see the reasoning behind trading him away for a second round pick.

What would shock me even more...is no trading is allowed until the new year anyways...so that would have been amazing if they did the trade now, haha.

Texasteel
02-10-2012, 02:58 PM

1st- Hightower would be an increadable pick for us and would be almost as happy with him as Adams. I don't think that most people know just how good this kid is. The only reason we would have a shoot at him is that there is one ILB and a couple OLB figure to land ahead of him. He could end up the best LB in this draft.
( Love the pick)

2nd- I am still a little squeemish about Chapman in the 2nd, not because of his talent, but because of the injury. Yes I know that he had been playing on it, and I wonder if this may have agravated it a little. I'm glad he didn't take part in the Senor Bowl and am waiting to see if he takes part at the combine. If he comes back healthy would be another great pick.
(Wait and see)

3rd- Not to many people know how good Silatolu could be. If they did you would be hearing a lot more about him. LLT and I have talked about him a couple time. May take a small break in time but would be playing next year.
(Like the pick)

4th- I am a little confused how Potter, who was so highly thought of last year slid so far this year, but he has. I know he is a little undersized, and I haven't watched him this year. I believe Gonzo was big on this kid last year maybe he knows something.
(Like the pick)

6th- I think Witt already has a pro game, just needs a little time. Was high on him early and haven't real cooled on him even thought he hasn't played as well as I thought he would this year.
(Like the pick)

Please tell me more about Bolden, and Robinson.

Thanks bud, Good job

ShutDown24
02-10-2012, 04:17 PM
1st- Hightower would be an increadable pick for us and would be almost as happy with him as Adams. I don't think that most people know just how good this kid is. The only reason we would have a shoot at him is that there is one ILB and a couple OLB figure to land ahead of him. He could end up the best LB in this draft.
( Love the pick)

2nd- I am still a little squeemish about Chapman in the 2nd, not because of his talent, but because of the injury. Yes I know that he had been playing on it, and I wonder if this may have agravated it a little. I'm glad he didn't take part in the Senor Bowl and am waiting to see if he takes part at the combine. If he comes back healthy would be another great pick.
(Wait and see)

3rd- Not to many people know how good Silatolu could be. If they did you would be hearing a lot more about him. LLT and I have talked about him a couple time. May take a small break in time but would be playing next year.
(Like the pick)

4th- I am a little confused how Potter, who was so highly thought of last year slid so far this year, but he has. I know he is a little undersized, and I haven't watched him this year. I believe Gonzo was big on this kid last year maybe he knows something.
(Like the pick)

6th- I think Witt already has a pro game, just needs a little time. Was high on him early and haven't real cooled on him even thought he hasn't played as well as I thought he would this year.
(Like the pick)

Please tell me more about Bolden, and Robinson.

Thanks bud, Good job

1. Yeah, I would love Hightower.

2. We've already talked Chapman on another thread, but in the end I don't see the kid falling to the third round. And the injuries wouldn't scare me away.

3. Silatolu has a ton of potential. I'm surprised he isn't viewed as a second round talent to be honest. The grades I've seen have him 3-4 which is low based on his performance alone. What do you mean by he may take a break? I haven't heard about this. Could explain why he is projected lower.

4. I would have to agree with you on Potter. I'm not real sure why he has fallen to the mid rounds. You are actually the first person I'v heard cite his size as a concern. His measurements indicate he's around 6-5 290. That's a little light but he should put on 5-10lbs in camp alone.

5. Ahh Bolden. This guy is a talent. I got to see a lot of him over his career at Arizona State. He has had injury problems throughout college, but if he hadn't he'd be a 1st/2nd round player. He's solid in both man and zone coverage, can really tackle and is a great leader. His size isn't fantastic. He might be 5'9 190. But his play is something special. He was instinctive, clutch and a field general for AZ State when he was healthy. The team's defense looked totally different when he was on the field. He would be a huge value in round 5. Unfortunately, I look for his stock to take off after the combine so this might be unrealistic.

6. I think Witt would be a great Steeler. To me, he has the perfect mix of league-readiness and potential. He's a guy who I believe could come in and start for a team right now. But at the same time, can improve his game with a few league-years under his belt. The guy seems like the ideal third string quarterback.

7. Adam Robinson is something of a favorite of mine. Being that he is a D2 prospect, I haven't seen as much of him as I'd like, but I've gotten to watch probably more than most. I'm not sure if he gets drafted or not, but he has all the physical tools to play pro tackle. Should measure in around 6-7 310, he utilizes every inch & pound when run blocking. He blows just about everyone yards back off the snap. Had great quickness and played through the whistle. In pass protection I'm a little more skeptical. He still dominated, but considering the competition he's playing against you can't put too much stock in that. Doesn't seem like he knows what to do with his hands; I've seen him put them in some curious places. Relies much more on his size than technique which won't work at the next level. But in round 7, most prospects you select are going to need considerable amount of coaching up.

ShutDown24
02-10-2012, 04:17 PM
What would shock me even more...is no trading is allowed until the new year anyways...so that would have been amazing if they did the trade now, haha.

Haha good point.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2012, 05:31 PM
1. Yeah, I would love Hightower.

2. We've already talked Chapman on another thread, but in the end I don't see the kid falling to the third round. And the injuries wouldn't scare me away.

3. Silatolu has a ton of potential. I'm surprised he isn't viewed as a second round talent to be honest. The grades I've seen have him 3-4 which is low based on his performance alone. What do you mean by he may take a break? I haven't heard about this. Could explain why he is projected lower.

4. I would have to agree with you on Potter. I'm not real sure why he has fallen to the mid rounds. You are actually the first person I'v heard cite his size as a concern. His measurements indicate he's around 6-5 290. That's a little light but he should put on 5-10lbs in camp alone.

I like the first 2 picks. Silatolu I have not seen a lot of film on, but small school kids that might go in the 2nd like him make me scared of Jamain Stephens. I'd rather look at Kelemente or Schwartz

As for Potter, he was a big rangy kid that needed to put on weight for the past 2 years and still is a bit light. Great pass protector, but Kellen Moore isnt a 5 or 7 step drop guy and Potter isnt the greatest run blocker. If he can put weight on the frame and show some affinity for run blocking he will help himself out a lot. Otherwise he is an agile OT with no ability to anchor or run block well.

Bluecoat96
02-10-2012, 07:05 PM

Have you been visiting the "Thongs" thread again? lol

Texasteel
02-10-2012, 07:36 PM

I just said it badly, I think he may start out slowly.
The one thing that I have heard troubles the scouts in his overall intelligents. He started as JC player and went to a Div. II school and I sounds like he may have trouble with a Pro playbook. This doesn't mean he won't, it just may take a little time.

There is also the fact that he suffered a hamstring injury that forced him out of the Senior Bowl. I don't know how bad it is, but if he go's into TC with a sore hamstring that has to slow his progress.

4. I would have to agree with you on Potter. I'm not real sure why he has fallen to the mid rounds. You are actually the first person I'v heard cite his size as a concern. His measurements indicate he's around 6-5 290. That's a little light but he should put on 5-10lbs in camp alone

I thought he stayed in school last year to bulk up some. He didn't do it. I am wondering if he is able to and not loose some of his better qualitys. Quckness and agility. Like Gonzo said, thank you Gonzo, he may not have the sand in his backside right now to hold his block, and with us wanting to run the ball better, that could be a problem. He may also take a while to play for us.

7willBheaven
02-10-2012, 07:46 PM
We are getting pretty close to the combines, and I wanted to make a place to post and discuse our pre-combine mocks. I have done this in the past and have learned a bunch from the thoughts, and oppinions of other member. I have even changed my mind on a few players before the combine started, but the rule is, no changing till after the combine is over. Rule two, there is not rule two, just keep it nice.

1st - Mike Adams, OT, Ohio St. 6'7", 323lbs.,5.28/40. I still think that a LT is far harder to find than a OG, and I think Mike will be the BAP, if he is still available. Mike has a prototype LT body. A large man with very good footward and long arms. He does everything you want a LT to do and does it well. He has the footwork to stay in front of a speed russer, and the strength and blocking tech. to keep a bull russ from blasting into the backfield. This would also let us keep Gilbert at RT where he seems to be growing game by game, and keep us from hearing the words, "Starting at LT, Johnathon Scott.

2nd - Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisc. 6'4", 315lbs., 5.26/40. I have liked this kid from day one. Kevin, again does everything you want out of a LG, and does it very well. He has the feet and quickness to pick up a blitzing LBer. and seldom will miss his block. Where he is not quite as tech. sound as Adams, he is still able to seal off the inside, and will not let his man run free or force him into the QBs face. I think is the best pulling OG I have seen for some time. Uses his hands and strength well to cast off his 1st block and engage his man on the second level. He is also smart enought to know when the whisle blows, you don't jump on someones back.

3rd - Hebron Fangupo, NT, BYU, 6'1", 330lbs., 5.08/40. Nope I'm not kidding. Hebron started on USC, but transfered to BYU for family reasons. This caused him to have a bit of a slow start, and, I think has cause him to be overlooked by many. They are starting to notice him now. He has been moving up the charts and I think could land in this position in the 3rd round. Stronge kid that handles his weight well. Will clog up the middle on the run, and can push the pocket on passing plays. Will not give us many sacks but can push his man, or men, back into the pocket making life on the QB a lot harder. I beleive he had 33 TTs, with with 6 TFL.

4th - Aaron Henry, FS, Wisc., 6'0", 208lbs., 4.52/40. Made the transition from CB to FS, and is consitered a big play safety. Led the team in fumble recovered, and second on the team in INTs, and pass defended.

5th - Kevin Koger, TE, Mich., 6'3", 260lbs., 4.78/40. With the possible problem we may have at TE I think this could be a prudent pick. Kevin is nice sized with good hands, the one handed catch he made against Western Michigan was incredible. He is a good blocking TE but could get better with coaching. If we want a better running game, plus a better short game, I think he would be a good pick here.

6th - BJ Coleman, QB, Chattanooga, 6'3", 234lbs., 4.90/40. I know Harnish is the popular pick here, but I think BJ has more actual physical talent. He has a game much like Ben, He is a strong armed QB that can extend the play by moving around behind the line. Things you might not like, he tends to throw the ball to hard on short passes, needs to learn when to and when not to throw the ball, and a completion average that is under 60%. Still I think with good coaching, he can develop into a very nice backup.

7th - Cody Johnson, FB, Texas, 5'11", 250lbs., 4.70/40. The kid is built for the tough short yards. Like 1st and goal at the 1. Will not out run anyone, but a tough hard nosed player. Can blast a LBs out of the hole, but needs to work on his tech. to be able the hold his block, and his pass protection.

Ok. I really cant comment much on the last 3 picks...as I do not know much about them...the only thing I WILL say is I like the positions picked (TE, eh even with the suspension not sure on the pick).

Also I dont know much about the 3rd rounder either to be honest...I've heard the name/etc...but thats it. But if hes good and can be a starter at NT, sign me up.

While in reality I dont see LT as a huge need...but do agree "stud" type LTs dont come around often late in the draft. I love the Zeitler pick too...if he lasts that long. So what would you're OL look like:

Adams / Zeitler / Pouncey / Foster / Gilbert ? Or push Colon over to RG? Or cut him or what? That decent contract he got is not a BU sized contract for sure.

I like the S pick to...I think he could turn into a solid player.

The one position I'm shock I dont see is ILB...what are your thoughts on that?

7willBheaven
02-10-2012, 07:52 PM

For some of these people (most of which Ive never heard of) can you please put the actual position they play. Like OG or OT instead of putting OL...or FS/SS/CB rather than DB and so on. So its easier to research these guys on our own (for those who do not know every detail about them). Thanks!

ShutDown24
02-10-2012, 08:04 PM
For some of these people (most of which Ive never heard of) can you please put the actual position they play. Like OG or OT instead of putting OL...or FS/SS/CB rather than DB and so on. So its easier to research these guys on our own (for those who do not know every detail about them). Thanks!

You make a good point. I really don't like putting a specific position on the athletes as many of them will move to a different spot in the pros. I guess I take it for granted that everyone knows about all of these prospects. I'm sorry, from here on out I'll try and be more specific as to which positions they played in college.

Hightower - ILB
Chapman - NT
Silatolu - OG
Potter - OT
Bolden - CB
Witt - QB
Robinson - OT

7willBheaven
02-10-2012, 09:36 PM
You make a good point. I really don't like putting a specific position on the athletes as many of them will move to a different spot in the pros. I guess I take it for granted that everyone knows about all of these prospects. I'm sorry, from here on out I'll try and be more specific as to which positions they played in college.

Hightower - ILB
Chapman - NT
Silatolu - OG
Potter - OT
Bolden - CB
Witt - QB
Robinson - OT

Not a problem...I totally understand the whole they may play a different spot in the NFL and you can definitely still share that but yeah some of these small school guys can sometimes be hard to find info on. So it helps to have their position (esp. when it comes to OL/DL/DB positions). Thanks for the info on those linemen though.

Psycho Ward 86
02-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Alabama safety Mark Barron is dropping out of the combine after hernia surgery: http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/09000d5d826d98e3/article/top-safety-barron-reportedly-out-of-combine-after-hernia-surgery?module=HP11_headline_stack

I love love love this guy. He had a late first round grade on him before this. I hope we're able to come out of the first round with a good offensive guard/tackle or nose tackle. Maybe Barron's value will have dropped enough for us to snag him in the 2nd round? Or we could move up a bit. Troy and Clark are both in their 30's and troy is exceptionally injury prone so id really like to come out of this draft or free agency with a good safety. He is the real deal, hell id take him in the first if the offensive/defensive line crop was getting watered down

7willBheaven
02-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Alabama safety Mark Barron is dropping out of the combine after hernia surgery: http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/09000d5d826d98e3/article/top-safety-barron-reportedly-out-of-combine-after-hernia-surgery?module=HP11_headline_stack

I love love love this guy. He had a late first round grade on him before this. I hope we're able to come out of the first round with a good offensive guard/tackle or nose tackle. Maybe Barron's value will have dropped enough for us to snag him in the 2nd round? Or we could move up a bit. Troy and Clark are both in their 30's and troy is exceptionally injury prone so id really like to come out of this draft or free agency with a good safety. He is the real deal, hell id take him in the first if the offensive/defensive line crop was getting watered down

I highly doubt he'd fall that far (end of 2nd). As this isnt like a broken leg or something crazy like that...while it is surgery/etc, but still.

bayz101
02-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Mark Barron was projected in the early to mid first round. I highly doubt he'll fall too far, but i'd love to have him. He's a beast.

ShutDown24
02-11-2012, 06:44 AM
I think Barron would make a great Steeler. But I think the team has other needs that are too great this year to warrant pursuing a safety. Maybe the team sees it differently.

Texasteel
02-11-2012, 07:14 AM
I agree with SD, but when it comes to BAP its hard to tell what will happen.

Texasteel
02-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Ok. I really cant comment much on the last 3 picks...as I do not know much about them...the only thing I WILL say is I like the positions picked (TE, eh even with the suspension not sure on the pick).

Also I dont know much about the 3rd rounder either to be honest...I've heard the name/etc...but thats it. But if hes good and can be a starter at NT, sign me up.

While in reality I dont see LT as a huge need...but do agree "stud" type LTs dont come around often late in the draft. I love the Zeitler pick too...if he lasts that long. So what would you're OL look like:

Adams / Zeitler / Pouncey / Foster / Gilbert ? Or push Colon over to RG? Or cut him or what? That decent contract he got is not a BU sized contract for sure.

I like the S pick to...I think he could turn into a solid player.

The one position I'm shock I dont see is ILB...what are your thoughts on that?

I see OT as a bigger need than most. I remember the team scrambling to bring Max back last year and how God awful the line was before that. Max is a year older and was hurt during the last lose. Could Max come back and play at the the level he did last year? I don't know. Beside,,,, it would't be an offical draft without me yelling for an OT.

I just can't bring myself to count on Colon next year. If he does, a mid season line of Adams/Zeitler/Pouncey/Colon/Gilbert, with Foster and Legs backing them up sounds pretty good to me.

Right now I think Zeither would be there as 24 in the 2nd, after the combine, I don't know. Please don't take this wrong, but I kinda hope he has the flu that week.

I think we sign a ILB. The team seems to have a habit of doing that when things start getting tight, and are pretty good at it. Having said that, if we end up with Hightower in the 1st no one will be happier than I will be, except maybe Butler.

I also see a TE as a bigger need than most. If the new situation doesn't not play out well I think we will be a little thin at a TE that can both block and catch the ball well. If we want a better running game, plus a better short game, I really do like my 5th round pick.

oneforthetoe
02-11-2012, 02:16 PM

I really like this mock Although, I usually don't trust any mock that doesn't have a punter in the 4th round. Otherwise, I would be thrilled with this draft.

ShutDown24
02-11-2012, 11:00 PM
I see OT as a bigger need than most. I remember the team scrambling to bring Max back last year and how God awful the line was before that. Max is a year older and was hurt during the last lose. Could Max come back and play at the the level he did last year? I don't know. Beside,,,, it would't be an offical draft without me yelling for an OT.

I just can't bring myself to count on Colon next year. If he does, a mid season line of Adams/Zeitler/Pouncey/Colon/Gilbert, with Foster and Legs backing them up sounds pretty good to me.

Right now I think Zeither would be there as 24 in the 2nd, after the combine, I don't know. Please don't take this wrong, but I kinda hope he has the flu that week.

I think we sign a ILB. The team seems to have a habit of doing that when things start getting tight, and are pretty good at it. Having said that, if we end up with Hightower in the 1st no one will be happier than I will be, except maybe Butler.

I also see a TE as a bigger need than most. If the new situation doesn't not play out well I think we will be a little thin at a TE that can both block and catch the ball well. If we want a better running game, plus a better short game, I really do like my 5th round pick.

I like Adams and Zeitler, but do we really want the entire left side of the line to be starting rookies?

And I agree with your sentiment that Colon should be moved inside to guard. But I don't know if the team sees it that way. I thought that would have been the right move in camp last year but they didn't even experiment with it.

Texasteel
02-12-2012, 05:38 AM
I like Adams and Zeitler, but do we really want the entire left side of the line to be starting rookies?

And I agree with your sentiment that Colon should be moved inside to guard. But I don't know if the team sees it that way. I thought that would have been the right move in camp last year but they didn't even experiment with it.

I would be suprised if both start right off, but I could see both being in the rotation before the season gets to old. We have to do something IMO to stengthen the O-line, not just for this year, but for the seasons to come. If they do play together there will be growing pains, make no mistake about that, but is growing pains worse than the pain of watching a line that, for the most part, is just bad. I think too often we make to much of rookies starting. I think the if the rookies can beat out the players we have there now, great, if not then they will have a change to grow as backups, then move into the starting role when the team thinks they can handle it. The one thing I do see as a problem is that if they are as good as I think they can be we would be working on new contracts for the whole left side in the same year. This is something the team would have to decide if they wanted to take on or not.

I don't know if the team would want to move Colon to OG or not, but in my mind we have to move him off the bench, or off the team. Sometimes you have to just cut your losses and move on. I just can't bring myself to making plans that include Colon right now.

ShutDown24
02-12-2012, 09:17 AM
I would be suprised if both start right off, but I could see both being in the rotation before the season gets to old. We have to do something IMO to stengthen the O-line, not just for this year, but for the seasons to come. If they do play together there will be growing pains, make no mistake about that, but is growing pains worse than the pain of watching a line that, for the most part, is just bad. I think too often we make to much of rookies starting. I think the if the rookies can beat out the players we have there now, great, if not then they will have a change to grow as backups, then move into the starting role when the team thinks they can handle it. The one thing I do see as a problem is that if they are as good as I think they can be we would be working on new contracts for the whole left side in the same year. This is something the team would have to decide if they wanted to take on or not.

In general I agree with you, but when it comes to offensive line I don't think too much is made of the rookie learning curve. I could see Adams OR Zeitler starting at some point in the upcoming season, but I don't think you want two guys out there next to each other with so little experience. I can envision a scenario where both of them don't know the protection. Pouncey can tell Zeitler, but then are we going to wait to snap the football until Zeitler can regurgitate the information to Adams? This is an odd stance for me because, usually, I don't have an issue with playing rookies from day 1.

I do agree we need to get younger depth on the line. Hopefully potential starters, too. I just still can't come to terms with devoting both 1st & 2nd round picks to that offensive line. We're already spending a ton of money on Pouncey, Colon, Gilbert and to a lesser extent Scott and Kemo (Kemo because he SHOULD be released soon). Maybe to your point Colon should be released as well. I would at least try and get him to take some sort of pay cut.

Texasteel
02-12-2012, 10:24 AM
In general I agree with you, but when it comes to offensive line I don't think too much is made of the rookie learning curve. I could see Adams OR Zeitler starting at some point in the upcoming season, but I don't think you want two guys out there next to each other with so little experience. I can envision a scenario where both of them don't know the protection. Pouncey can tell Zeitler, but then are we going to wait to snap the football until Zeitler can regurgitate the information to Adams? This is an odd stance for me because, usually, I don't have an issue with playing rookies from day 1.

I do agree we need to get younger depth on the line. Hopefully potential starters, too. I just still can't come to terms with devoting both 1st & 2nd round picks to that offensive line. We're already spending a ton of money on Pouncey, Colon, Gilbert and to a lesser extent Scott and Kemo (Kemo because he SHOULD be released soon). Maybe to your point Colon should be released as well. I would at least try and get him to take some sort of pay cut.

I'm not saying they will both start, before the seasons end. I could see Adams starting fairling quickly, I mean, could he get more lost than Scott. If Zeitler could start before the year was over that would be great, but if not I can still see him getting playing time. I am not in favor of just handing the job to a draft pick because he is a high draft pick, but if the coaches are comfortable playing them that means they beat a lesser player out. This line has been ignored for years, and has only drawn serious attention the last two. I have always felt you build an offense from the line back. As far as money is conserned, Heyward will make $1,523,870 this year. and Gilbert will make $733,503. Compared to Scotts $2,700,00 and Kemos $5,261,666. Now I don't keep up on the buisness part of these contrats, and I know this years 1st and 2nd will make more, but will they make that much more? My main thinking is that we need an OG, and we may not get a shot at a OT of the caliber of Adams for a very long time. This may not be the best draft for next year, but I think it would be the best draft for the team over all.

If we cut Colon, I think we only save $900,000 in salary cap room so I don't think cutting him is an opption. I just don't feel safe going into the year thinking we can count on him right now. How ever, the team would know more about that than I do.

ShutDown24
02-12-2012, 11:04 AM
I mean, could he get more lost than Scott.

Good point.

This may not be the best draft for next year, but I think it would be the best draft for the team over all.

I just can't get behind drafting two offensive linemen in those rounds this year. If we ended up with Adams and say Alameda Ta'amu I think that is a much better situation. If we're drafting both OT and OG with the intention of them sitting most of the upcoming season, I don't see why it would be any worse of a decision to grab one offensive linemen this year and address the other spot in the 2013 draft. With the selections of Pouncey, Gilbert and (theoretically) Adams, the line is coming together quite nicely. And as a bonus if Colon stays healthy and the team is willing to move him to guard, excellent. That's Adams/(Legs-Foster-Essex)/Pouncey/Colon/Gilbert. Not too bad in my estimation. And the defense still gets younger, too. I just think a NT or ILB would be more valuable to the team right now than a second linemen taken in the upper rounds.

If we cut Colon, I think we only save $900,000 in salary cap room so I don't think cutting him is an opption. I just don't feel safe going into the year thinking we can count on him right now. How ever, the team would know more about that than I do.

I'm a big fan of Colon when healthy. Other than the three false start penalties a game he's usually good for. But $900,000 in cap space is valuable if the team isn't going to utilize him. At this point, I can't see putting Gilbert on the bench. Which means (Again, a big "if" Colon is healthy) he is going to have to slide over to LT (Assuming the team won't move Colon to guard). If the team drafts Adams, that creates a log jam at tackle. I don't want to sit Gilbert, but if he is your RT of the future, moving him to LT for a year or two seems counter productive. At the same time, I don't want to take a $900,00 cap hit to keep Colon on the sideline. A lot to handle as far as possible scenarios, but it makes sense to me.

Texasteel
02-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Going to be an interesting year buddy. If Adams in gone, and I think he might well be, (You know what happens to LTs in the draft) the logical pick most likely would be Hightower, if,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, he is still available.

ShutDown24
02-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah it's gonna be great. I'm just glad there are a few guys around like you, Texas, who want to talk draft/X's & O's instead of "power struggle" :doh:

7willBheaven
02-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Going to be an interesting year buddy. If Adams in gone, and I think he might well be, (You know what happens to LTs in the draft) the logical pick most likely would be Hightower, if,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, he is still available.

I'd have to agree with it going to be an interesting one. I cant remember any time during recent years where there could be a number of "bigger name" players cut/etc and also this much of a variety of positions they could go with in the first few rounds alone.

Steeldude
02-13-2012, 04:19 AM
I still think that a LT is far harder to find than a OG

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with that

Steeldude
02-13-2012, 04:23 AM
I would take Coleman over Harnish too

At NT I prefer Josh Chapman from Alabama

Texasteel
02-18-2012, 05:39 PM
The combines are getting close guys, and I am still waiting for a couple more pre-combine mocks. I promise not to hold you to these after the combine. Honestly guys I have often picked up on a few guys to watch in the combines that I never thought much about.

ShutDown24
02-19-2012, 12:36 PM
The combines are getting close guys, and I am still waiting for a couple more pre-combine mocks. I promise not to hold you to these after the combine. Honestly guys I have often picked up on a few guys to watch in the combines that I never thought much about.

Some of the guys I am most excited to watch will be

Ronnell Lewis
Bobby Massie
John Massaquoi
Zach Brown
Orson Charles
Aminiasi Silatolu
James-Michael Johnson

I think all of these guys have good chances to move up after the combine.

Of course I'm also looking forward to watching all of the SU favorites like Poe, Worthy, Zeitler, Adams, etc...

And of course I can't wait to watch all of the quarterbacks. Been spending a lot of time watching Brandon Weeden lately and wow have I been impressed. Starting to think he's round one for sure. Just wish he was younger.

Aussie_steeler
02-19-2012, 01:59 PM
OK Tex - lets fire off a quick one.

NOTE: 49ers steal Mike Wallace and in return we are left with 1.30

1.24 Peter Konz OC / OG Wisconsin Jnr
1.30 Dontari Poe NT Memphis
2. Bobby Massie OT Miss
3. Nigel Bradham ILB Florida State
4 LaMichael James RB Oregon
5. Jordan White WR Western Michigan
6 Eddie Whitely FS Virginia Tech
7.a Austin Davis QB Sth Miss
7b. Markus Kuhn DE 6'4 303 NC State

ShutDown24
02-19-2012, 03:02 PM

2. Bobby Massie OT Miss

Looks pretty good to me. I love Massie. I'm glad to see he's moving up some in the eyes of others. Was hearing round 3-4 a couple weeks ago which is way too low.

Texasteel
02-19-2012, 07:17 PM

2. Bobby Massie OT Miss

I like the draft very much Aussie, but I always like you drafts. I think Massie could be this years Carpenter. He may move up so quickly that someone will take him a little higher that anyone though he would go. I really like the Jordan White, and the Eddie Whitely pick. These are two to watch in the combines. They could even move up farther that you have them. Thanks buddy.

Steeltreal
02-20-2012, 12:43 PM
The next Dexter Mccluster?

Chidi29
02-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I like the draft very much Aussie, but I always like you drafts. I think Massie could be this years Carpenter. He may move up so quickly that someone will take him a little higher that anyone though he would go. I really like the Jordan White, and the Eddie Whitely pick. These are two to watch in the combines. They could even move up farther that you have them. Thanks buddy.

Not a fan of White. Only watched him once but wasn't that impressive. Does have a pretty big build and soft hands but isn't a vertical threat and doesn't make many miss in the open field. From my amatuer point of view, looks to have a lot of technical problems that are going to be tough to break.

Comparable to another MAC kid with big numbers, Freddie Barnes rather than an Antonio Brown type.

Aussie_steeler
02-21-2012, 02:28 AM
Not a fan of White. Only watched him once but wasn't that impressive. Does have a pretty big build and soft hands but isn't a vertical threat and doesn't make many miss in the open field. From my amatuer point of view, looks to have a lot of technical problems that are going to be tough to break.

Comparable to another MAC kid with big numbers, Freddie Barnes rather than an Antonio Brown type.

Respectfully disagree. I saw a bit of Jordan White and to me he looks like a footballer who just produces on the field.

He became a starter in 2009 as a sophomore (7 starts), finishing with 53 receptions for 681 yards (12.8) and 4 touchdowns. White started every game in 2010 as a junior, recording 94 receptions for 1,378 yards (14.7) and 10 scores, earning First Team All-MAC honors. He had his best season in 2011 and set several school receiving records (13 starts), finishing with an FBS-best 140 catches for 1,911 yards (13.7) and 17 touchdowns, earning All-America and First Team All-MAC honors. White finished his career as the school?s all-time career leader in catches (306) and receiving yards (4,187).
White is an interesting story because of his impressive production the past three seasons after battling back from two separate ACL injuries to both knees ? admirable performance returning from injuries with determination and he?s not a guy I would bet against. He is a physical presence with good size and build, working well over the middle and catching the ball in contested situations. White?s speed, burst and overall movement ability leave a lot to be desired and his medical evaluations will be crucial to his NFL future, but his toughness and collegiate production cannot be ignored. He projects as a No. 4 receiver at the next level if he can show he?s not damaged goods and could prove to be a Danario Alexander-type player.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1128947/jordan-white

Physical guy
Great hands
Not scared to go across the middle
Great production

For a 5th round pick - I would take the risk. He is not a skinny piece of crap like Freddy Mitchell and not every receiver needs to be a deep threat. Sometimes you just need a hard core, tough as nails aint scared of jack shit receiver to do the dirty work. No point having a team full of run as fast as you can WR's unless you want to be the raiders of the 90's.

Galax Steeler
02-21-2012, 04:06 AM
Respectfully disagree. I saw a bit of Jordan White and to me he looks like a footballer who just produces on the field.

Physical guy
Great hands
Great production

For a 5th round pick - I would take the risk. He is not a skinny piece of crap like Freddy Mitchell and not every receiver needs to be a deep threat. Sometimes you just need a hard core, tough as nails aint scared of jack shit receiver to do the dirty work. No point having a team full of run as fast as you can WR's unless you want to be the raiders of the 90's.

Does Hines Ward come to mind on this.

Chidi29
02-21-2012, 12:19 PM

Physical guy
Great hands
Great production

Those things cbs talked about are the positiives I mentioned. But beyond that, there isn't much there. He does a nice job of finding soft spots in zone coverages but doesn't get a lot of seperation out of his breaks. He won't beat man coverage. He doesn't offer much after the catch and isn't a threat to stretch the field. The numbers are impressive, yes, but it was a spread offense. The numbers are inflated by Western Michigan's offense.

Aussie_steeler
02-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Does Hines Ward come to mind on this.

Thats my point.

not everyone can be Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown.

Aussie_steeler
02-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Those things cbs talked about are the positiives I mentioned. But beyond that, there isn't much there. He does a nice job of finding soft spots in zone coverages but doesn't get a lot of seperation out of his breaks. He won't beat man coverage. He doesn't offer much after the catch and isn't a threat to stretch the field. The numbers are impressive, yes, but it was a spread offense. The numbers are inflated by Western Michigan's offense.

Remember I am talking about a Round 5 pick. He is going to have flaws. Not everyone on the roster can be first round talent.

For the purpose of my mock it was Jeff Fuller in the 4th or Jordan White in the 5th. Brown, Sanders and Cotch are a very good WR corp.
Let Hines walk and replace him with a virtual clone in Jordan White. (I thought LaMichael James is better in the 4th than Fuller)

here are some more flaws for my 5th round pick

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=29166

Would I take a chance on that in the 5th ... Shit Yeah