PDA

View Full Version : McFadden, Battle Released

Chidi29
02-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Along with Erik Clanton and Miguel Chavis.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Make-Roster-Moves/99a42653-0df7-44b7-b9b2-c944a5795b82

Chidi29
02-08-2012, 03:24 PM
That's about 4 million wiped off the books. Though I thought McFadden had another year left which would create some extra dead money for this season.

Texasteel
02-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Anyone know how this will impact the cap.

Chidi29
02-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Anyone know how this will impact the cap.

Combined, they were set to make right aruond that 4 million mark I talked about above. Was this set to be their last year or did they have another year after this?

BlastFurnace
02-08-2012, 03:52 PM
I always liked Bmac. He's not the same player he was when he left after 2008 though.

tube517
02-08-2012, 03:55 PM
I always liked Bmac. He's not the same player he was when he left after 2008 though.

Agreed..he's been hobbled since he was w/the Cardinals. Not the same player he was before.

Dino 6 Rings
02-08-2012, 04:44 PM

yep, I liked him every since the Bettis Fumble game against the Colts when he made back to back plays that kept the Colts out of the endzone and forced the FG that Vanderjerk missed.

But after he left the team the first go around, he wasn't the same. When William Gay can pass you on the roster, you are no longer worth the money. Not that I'm bashing William Gay, he improved a bit this year, but still...Does William Gay start for any other playoff team this year? Maybe the Patriots? Maybe the Lions. Anyway, Battle was a wasted Roster spot. Cotchery was the best pick up of last off season by far. I wonder how that will play out with the New OC and Ward wanting to retire in the B&G.

ShutDown24
02-08-2012, 04:48 PM
I think everyone knew these two weren't going to be around. The only interesting aspect of either of these releases to me is that the Steelers just brought Walter McFadden into the fold. W.McFadden is Bryant's little brother. It doesn't mean anything, but what a different situation that must be for the two of them. No one thinks the team tries to bring Bryant back for less money right? I think it's time to cut him loose. For good this time.

zulater
02-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Did the team announce McFadden's retirement? :heh:

SteelGhost
02-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Good for the FO for those releases, BMac wasn't even a pale shadow of himself since he left the first time.

steelerdude15
02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
It had to happen. Good luck guys where ever you go.

Buckinnuts
02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
2 years too late on Bmac

7willBheaven
02-08-2012, 05:28 PM
And they start...wooo...

Though I would like to thank BMac and Battle for what they've done for the team over the years!

Galax Steeler
02-08-2012, 05:38 PM
With the Battle cut you have to think they are making room for Ward.

O'Malley
02-08-2012, 05:41 PM
With the Battle cut you have to think they are making room for Ward.

One can hope!

ALLD
02-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Battle was mostly STs.

Bluecoat96
02-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Battle was mostly STs.

Exactly. With the emergence of rookies like Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, and also the 2nd year guy Stephenson Sylvester, Battle and BMac were expendable.

Count Steeler
02-08-2012, 05:59 PM
I think everyone knew these two weren't going to be around. The only interesting aspect of either of these releases to me is that the Steelers just brought Walter McFadden into the fold. W.McFadden is Bryant's little brother. It doesn't mean anything, but what a different situation that must be for the two of them. No one thinks the team tries to bring Bryant back for less money right? I think it's time to cut him loose. For good this time.

Too many good CBs coming up now. Lewis, Brown and Allen. They still may pick a Safety/Corner in the draft.

Did Battle even get to play an offensive down this year? All STs.

ShutDown24
02-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Too many good CBs coming up now. Lewis, Brown and Allen. They still may pick a Safety/Corner in the draft.

Did Battle even get to play an offensive down this year? All STs.

I think McFadden could beat out Lewis unless Keenan vastly improves his game before August, but if he is still on the street when camp rolls around I don't think the Steelers even send him an invite. Hard to tell what his value is to other teams at this point - but defensive back play isn't great around the league at present. I could see him making a team next year.

zulater
02-08-2012, 06:12 PM
I think McFadden could beat out Lewis unless Keenan vastly improves his game before August, but if he is still on the street when camp rolls around I don't think the Steelers even send him an invite. Hard to tell what his value is to other teams at this point - but defensive back play isn't great around the league at present. I could see him making a team next year.

I couldn't disagree more. Lewis has finally become a decent NFL cornerback. McFadden time has come and gone. He may make it somewhere as a dime back playing for NFL minimum. But presently he's not c,lose to the player that Lewis is.

SteelGhost
02-08-2012, 06:22 PM

Maybe the Steelers West .... again :noidea: :chuckle:

ALLD
02-08-2012, 06:25 PM
BMac might make a roster next season Deshea Townsend style, but unlikely he has a complete one.

86WARD
02-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Woodley restructure, dead weight cut. Good start.

The Duke
02-08-2012, 09:46 PM
So we have Brown Wallace and Sanders under contract

Ward is definitely either cut or restructure. Battle and Grisham are gone. Cotchery has to be resigned

and that still could leave one spot open

Chidi29
02-08-2012, 10:20 PM
I hope McFadden is re-signed to a cheap deal. I still see him as a reliable player who is an asset against the run and can play special teams, just as he did this season.

86WARD
02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
If Wallace and Cotchery are re-signed and Ward kept, I don't think that another guy necessarily has to be signed at WR. Maybe a practice squad guy. Battle was a non-factor being targeted once all season at WR. He was a special teams guy. They can sign someone else for that and help out another part of the team if necessary.

Steeldude
02-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Please don't make the mistake of re-signing McFadden again

Austin87
02-09-2012, 03:32 AM
I hope McFadden is re-signed to a cheap deal. I still see him as a reliable player who is an asset against the run and can play special teams, just as he did this season.

Have to agree with you here. McFadden can probably be signed to a vet minimum deal. We might lose Gay as well. I really want one of either Gay or McFadden to stick around. Both of these guys can probably play safety as well, having both played nickle in our defense.