PDA

View Full Version : Warner: Haley will challenge Ben

polamalubeast
02-08-2012, 07:24 AM
With Todd Haley officially in as the Steelers’ new offensive coordinator, here are two questions to ponder: when will he have his first confrontation with Ben Roethlisberger and will it be public, say even at an OTA practice?
One thing the Steelers don’t have to worry about in the near future is Roethlisberger getting too chummy with the coach running the offense or wielding too much influence when it comes to the offense.
The Steelers couldn’t have swung the pendulum any further than they did when they hired Haley to succeed Bruce Arians.
That is at least the case when it comes to their franchise quarterback. And that is precisely the point of the change the Steelers made at offensive coordinator, as clumsily as they executed it.
The organization clearly thought it needed to shake things up a little with Roethlisberger and the offense. If it can navigate the tricky part -– getting Roethlisberger to buy into a new coach that will get in his face -– Haley might be just what an offense that underachieved last season needs.
Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner -– the one that led a second-half rally in the 2008 Super Bowl only to get trumped at the end by Roethlisberger –- credited Haley for helping him resuscitate his career in Arizona.

read more

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/02/07/warner-haley-will-challenge-ben/

zulater
02-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Here are some other observations Warner shared about Haley, with whom he is still close:

On Haley as an offensive coach
“He’s a guy that’s innovative, that’s willing and open to change and do things that he feels can lead to success even if it’s not something he had done in the past. And he’s a guy that loves to push players on the football field as well as in the classroom and I think that’s a huge key. For him, it’s not just physical, he wants to push the envelope mentally too and challenge guys with new things, new things that can make them and the team better. I loved all of those things about him.”

On potential downside to Haley’s coaching style
“The unfortunate thing is I don’t think enough players have thick skin in this business where you can realize that a coach gets on you, embarrasses you or challenges you and it’s not always a personal thing. It’s not always about you as an individual and it’s not deeper than that. Sometimes, it’s ‘Hey I need more from you right now. I need you to battle for us. I need you to get in your playbook more. I need you to do this better.’ I love that and I think that was a big part of our success (in Arizona) because we never had a great football team but him along with the rest of the coaches pushed our guys to be great and to not settle. Any player can benefit from that if they’re open to that style and open to somebody challenging them in that way.”

Thanks for posting PB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Challenge players as much as you want Coach Haley, but you will never be as good as our former OC that just "retired". Its already being predicted that you will fail. He doesnt even have a chance.

I am just going to trust the front office on this hire and enjoy the ride.

fansince'76
02-08-2012, 12:35 PM
The minute the offense is forced to kick a FG inside the 20, this honeymoon will end very quickly, methinks...

To wit, from the comments section of that article:

If Tomlin does not step it up he should fear his job as well. The team never makes good halftime adjustments and he shows no passion or anything on the sideline. He looks like a zombie most of the time. Way too flat!!! Good luck Tomlin basically the Rooneys have just told you to get your act together by this hire.

Yes, a guy who has never had a losing season, has brought two Lamar Hunt trophies and a Lombardi Trophy home over a 5-year period is on the "hot seat." :doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 12:39 PM
The minute the offense is forced to kick a FG inside the 20, this honeymoon will end, methinks...

Yes, a guy who has never had a losing season, has brought two Lamar Hunt trophies and a Lombardi Trophy home over a 5-year period is on the "hot seat." :doh:

hater. should have some faith in the front office.

X-Terminator
02-08-2012, 12:46 PM
The minute the offense is forced to kick a FG inside the 20, this honeymoon will end very quickly, methinks...

That's The Nation for you...

zulater
02-08-2012, 12:51 PM
That's The Nation for you...

Hey Coughlin was supposedly teetering in November. Don't make it as if it's just Steelers fans and media that get worked up when things go marginally wrong.

X-Terminator
02-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Hey Coughlin was supposedly teetering in November. Don't make it as if it's just Steelers fans and media that get worked up when things go marginally wrong.

So are Steelers fans supposed to behave like New Yorkers? Are the fans'...uh...shortcomings not allowed to be called out? The very fact that ANYONE even indirectly thinks Tomlin should be let go after all the success he's had is the very height of idiocy, and exactly what I expect from The Nation. Why? Because of the spoiled brat, "perfection or the pine" mentality that far too many of us have.

ALLD
02-08-2012, 01:14 PM
BB needs to be challenged because sometimes it looks like the only preparation he did was to take a shotgun snap and fling it up to whoever might be open.

zulater
02-08-2012, 01:18 PM
So are Steelers fans supposed to behave like New Yorkers? Are the fans'...uh...shortcomings not allowed to be called out? The very fact that ANYONE even indirectly thinks Tomlin should be let go after all the success he's had is the very height of idiocy, and exactly what I expect from The Nation. Why? Because of the spoiled brat, "perfection or the pine" mentality that far too many of us have.

It's a minute few, so why worry about it? I'd wager 85% of Steelers nation is quite happy with Tomlin.

X-Terminator
02-08-2012, 01:28 PM
It's a minute few, so why worry about it?I'd wager 85% of Steelers nation is quite happy with Tomlin.

I don't. I'm just not afraid to call a spade a spade.

zulater
02-08-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't. I'm just not afraid to call a spade a spade.

But in this case you're holding two diamonds, a club, a heart, and a spade. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
But in this case you're holding two diamonds, a club, a heart, and a spade. :chuckle:

I wish I had a diamond, I already have a club and a spade, and I have no heart. :chuckle:

suitanim
02-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Challenge players as much as you want Coach Haley, but you will never be as good as our former OC that just "retired". Its already being predicted that you will fail. He doesnt even have a chance.

Your "comedy" act is a little tired. Have any new schlop to dump off on us?

SteelerFanInStl
02-08-2012, 07:00 PM
I think that it's a good thing to bring in someone who will challenge Ben. Most of the time that's what it takes to get the best out of an athlete.

SMR
02-08-2012, 08:16 PM

I agree. We tend to get a bit harsh with our expectations at times. I, myself, admit to it. Good post.

Shoes
02-08-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm excited about this.....it's going to be good for Ben and the team.

SMR
02-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Me 2, methinks!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM

My act is tired?? I have only been on the comedy routine for about a day and a half. Some on here have had the same old tired act for several years. Pessimist acts, Superiority acts, Hillbilly acts. I actually like Texasteel's colon health schtick of late.

Oh well, I guess I can shift gears to smashing watermelons. That NEVER gets old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S53YRYZUsCc

pepsyman1
02-08-2012, 09:09 PM

Me 3!!! lol

:car:

Psycho Ward 86
02-08-2012, 09:31 PM

for you probably. you just keep asking for it and then complain about it

suitanim
02-09-2012, 05:21 AM
for you probably. you just keep asking for it and then complain about it

I just ask that there be a few different lines or something.

I should probably start recording all the Arians complaints from the last few years, so I can quote them for accuracy when all yinz start recycling them word-for word in about 6 months.