PDA

View Full Version : I'm done with NFL(Steelers) for now.

Jaquila
02-08-2012, 04:55 AM
This is not the game i once loved so much... I've had enough with Goodell and the way this sport is going.
I love hard hitting defense more than anything else and that is what Steelers has always been about!

Me and my friend (Dolphins fan) still remember the game on Heinz Field between Steelers and dolphins ending 3-0 to Steelers on an absolutely soaked and muddy field as one of the best games we have watched together. That was ugly, tough football in the mercy of mother nature, I loved it! But everybody i have talked to since hated that game, because people over here in Denmark is all about high scoring games and QB's standing protected and throwing for 500 yards a game in a dome and that is whats happening to this sport, the days of defense and hard hits is over.

This year a Danish channel were denied (by NFL) tapes of hits from the NFL because they didnt wanted to be shown as a violent sport...

So i am out and doubt that i will come back unless something drastically happens.

I will still keep my Terrible towels and The Pittsburgh Steelers in my heart and just wanted to say goodbye, even though i havent been active in the discussions on here, i have been following this site a lot and wanted to say thank you to you all for your work and i will still visit this site once in a while.

Thank You all!

Sorry for my bad english btw, im from Denmark lol :)

suitanim
02-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Don't blame ya, buddy. Good luck.

X-Terminator
02-08-2012, 07:10 AM
I can't blame him either. I've been teetering on the edge of saying the hell with the NFL myself. As long as Der Kommissar is running the league, real football is dead.

fansince'76
02-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Wait! You can't go! Haven't you heard? Goodell is great for the NFL and we're just ignorant fans who are butthurt over Steelers players being fined and suspended! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I can't blame you. Good luck and Godspeed.

steelerdude15
02-08-2012, 08:48 AM
As much as I don't like the direction the NFL is heading, I still can never give up watching the Steelers.

SteelerEmpire
02-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Don't blame you. Just imagine if they eliminated hitting from the neck up in boxing due to possible head injuries. No more knock outs ! I would be done with that sport ! So I understand.

LLT
02-08-2012, 09:28 AM
I used to watch every game...now I only watch Steelers games.

At the top of the fan pyramid sits the purist...under that is a level of diehard fans...then the average fan...then the casual team-supporter...and lastly the hanger-ons (those who generally watch football because someone they love watches)

The top of the pyramid is crumbling and its going to create an avalanche if things dont change soon.

The Duke
02-08-2012, 09:45 AM
good luck my friend. Definitely can't blame you at all

As much as I don't like the direction the NFL is heading, I still can never give up watching the Steelers.

me neither. But I'm still young. I honestly can't see myself putting up with this the next 10+ years

GodfatherofSoul
02-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I'd recommend a "soft" boycott. Just don't buy any products or watch non-Steelers games. It's what I might do this year (did for the most part last year save a couple of break-downs.

SteelGhost
02-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Good Luck Jaq :thumbsup:

BlastFurnace
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
The problem is the former players are suing the league, the league is trying to defend itself from future lawsuits with their lawyers. The game, more than ever, is a business. We will never see 70's, 80's, or 90's football ever again.

Again, it's not all on Goodell. He's just the owners Attorney.

We have only seen the tip of the iceberg with this guys.

Hindes204
02-08-2012, 11:31 AM
I used to watch every game i could, pay attention to every score, watch all the highlights I could find. I used to do this with a crowd of people. These days I find myself on my couch, watching only the Steeler games, and paying attention to only the scores that I have money riding on.

I dont know if this is just me getting older, or if its lack of interest due to the changing of the game. With that being said, I will never quit watching the Steelers. I was born and raised in the heart of Pittsburgh, its a way of life there.

fansince'76
02-08-2012, 11:33 AM
The problem is the former players are suing the league, the league is trying to defend itself from future lawsuits with their lawyers. The game, more than ever, is a business. We will never see 70's, 80's, or 90's football ever again.

They need to require the players to sign a waiver.

tube517
02-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Got rid of DirecTV/NFL Package a long time ago. Waste of time and money. Don't watch BSPN or NFLN either w/the rampant jockocracy and the endless chatter. I'd rather get tweets from Rob Lowe than watch Warren Sapp or Michael Irvin.

Mamaduck43
02-08-2012, 11:59 AM
I have gone from planning my whole life around a full Sunday compliment of NFL games to watching only Steelers games... Even in this football happy town, I cannot get into watching any other teams play.... And I find myself getting angry over what football has become in the past few years.... The officials cannot officiate.... There seems to be a different set of rules for different teams.... There is a most definite bias against the Steelers and the Steelers' style of play.... Free agency has made it necessary to keep a chart of who is playing for whom on any given week.... The days of being on one team from rookie days to retirement are gone... We are actually faced with the likes of Hines Ward putting on another uniform to keep playing football.... I cried when Franco Harris played for the Seahawks!!!!

I will continue to give my heart and soul to the Steelers.... I will still add Steelers items to my 'Girlcave', but I will not support the NFL in any other way... I don't want the NFL to continue the direction it seems to be heading.... I was connected to a fledgling Arena Football team in Honolulu for a couple of years - - the company that I worked for was a part owner.... The games were fun, but there was so much emphasis on trying to keep the arena fans entertained by things other than the game itself... T-shirt cannons into the stands.... Loud overpowering music that made it hard to hear announcements.... Cheerleaders blocking views as they shook their attributes all over the place and who didn't have any idea of what was going on down on the floor..... The game was secondary!!!! To EVERYTHING else that was going on.... I would leave with a bad headache...... When I attended a couple of games in Denver, I discovered that even there, the game was becoming secondary to the constant distractions designed to keep the fans entertained..... And for many of the fans / attendees, that was exactly what they wanted - - they could have cared less about the game....

It sure isn't the football I grew up with - - but it still a damn sight better than a lot of other ways to spend a Sunday afternoon......

BlastFurnace
02-08-2012, 12:12 PM
It's the offseason. I bet next September, the OP will be back cheering like the rest of us.

Steeldude
02-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I stopped watching other games in the early to mid-90's. The NFL gets worse with each passing decade. If someone had the money/power they should start another football league. It just might stick with the way the NFL is going now.

7willBheaven
02-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Exactly!!

7willBheaven
02-08-2012, 12:21 PM
This is not the game i once loved so much... I've had enough with Goodell and the way this sport is going.
I love hard hitting defense more than anything else and that is what Steelers has always been about!

Me and my friend (Dolphins fan) still remember the game on Heinz Field between Steelers and dolphins ending 3-0 to Steelers on an absolutely soaked and muddy field as one of the best games we have watched together. That was ugly, tough football in the mercy of mother nature, I loved it! But everybody i have talked to since hated that game, because people over here in Denmark is all about high scoring games and QB's standing protected and throwing for 500 yards a game in a dome and that is whats happening to this sport, the days of defense and hard hits is over.

This year a Danish channel were denied (by NFL) tapes of hits from the NFL because they didnt wanted to be shown as a violent sport...

So i am out and doubt that i will come back unless something drastically happens.

I will still keep my Terrible towels and The Pittsburgh Steelers in my heart and just wanted to say goodbye, even though i havent been active in the discussions on here, i have been following this site a lot and wanted to say thank you to you all for your work and i will still visit this site once in a while.

Thank You all!

Sorry for my bad english btw, im from Denmark lol :)

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!

zulater
02-08-2012, 01:11 PM
There's a lot of things I'm not happy about with the NFL over the last few years. But still, it's the NFL, and it's way better than the next best thing out there. That would be NHL hockey by the way. :heh: In other words, as much as I sometimes hate it, I still love it! And it's hard to imagine any time that I wont be excited at the start of a new NFL season!

SteelerFanInStl
02-08-2012, 07:07 PM
My enjoyment of the NFL has gone WAY down in recent years. I've been a huge Steelers and NFL fan for over 35 years but the current NFL isn't the same sport that I loved. I've given up NFL Sunday Ticket and won't buy any NFL endorsed product. Sundays have gone from being an all day event to just watching the Steelers game (if it's on locally) and maybe part of the Rams game.

I'm getting to the point where I can take it or leave it and if Goodell continues to turn the NFL into a glorified arena league, I'll leave it soon and remember the good 'ol days when they played REAL football.