PDA

View Full Version : Weslye Saunders suspended 4 games

vader29
02-07-2012, 08:57 AM
At one point in time, tight end Weslye Saunders was talked about as a potential first-round draft pick, but ultimately, a foot injury and a troubled reputation caused him to go unselected in 2010. He landed in Pittsburgh and started six of 16 games this season, catching four passes for 29 yards and a touchdown.

Now, he’s apparently landed in more trouble, as Aaron Wilson of Scout.com is reporting that Saunders has been suspended for the first four games of 2012.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34737223

tube517
02-07-2012, 08:58 AM
What were his issues off the field in college?

LLT
02-07-2012, 09:09 AM
What were his issues off the field in college?

He was suspended from South Carolina as a senior for violating team rules...and later kicked off the team after they found out that he received improper benefits from an agent.

86WARD
02-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Probably something to do with 'roids?

suitanim
02-07-2012, 09:18 AM
The comments below the article were nice. Someone said "They are on the level with Cinci/Oakland now"

steelpride12
02-07-2012, 09:21 AM
He can go to the Bungles where he belongs.

BlastFurnace
02-07-2012, 09:24 AM
I hope they give him another chance. Who knows, it might have just been a GNC supplement that he took without fully looking into it.

He has two things going for him to keep him around...He has a ton of talent and he's low in salary cap $$$'s.

BigNastyDefense
02-07-2012, 09:26 AM
I say cut him.

BigNastyDefense
02-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I hope they give him another chance. Who knows, it might have just been a GNC supplement that he took without fully looking into it.

He has two things going for him to keep him around...He has a ton of talent and he's low in salary cap $$$'s.

Doesn't matter. It's his job to make sure whatever supplement he is taking doesn't have a substance banned from the NFL in it.

LLT
02-07-2012, 09:27 AM
The comments below the article were nice. Someone said "They are on the level with Cinci/Oakland now"

If we were Cinci/Oakland...Santonio Holmes would still be on the team.

I have every faith that if Saunders crossed the "character line"...he will be gone. If he is at the edge of that line...he knows that he gets one more stike.

Devilsdancefloor
02-07-2012, 09:30 AM
well if he i smoking the rope with tone he can go be with him in NY, but if it is a PED's problem then someone needs to go talk to him about what he is putting in his body i vote for james harrison

LLT
02-07-2012, 09:36 AM
For the league to give out a 4 game suspension ...Saunders would either have been tested to have a banned substance in his system, or this is his third failed drug test.

I have NO DOUBT...that if Saunders would have failed two drug tests before now...we would have seen team discipline of some sort. That means that it is most probably a banned substance suspension which can be a judgement call in regards to "character".

BlastFurnace
02-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Doesn't matter. It's his job to make sure whatever supplement he is taking doesn't have a substance banned from the NFL in it.

Still going to wait and see what actually transpires. It could be an honest mistake..and if it is..I hope the team gives him a 2nd chance.

vader29
02-07-2012, 10:09 AM
I say cut him.

No, we could probably get a draft pick from the Jets for him. :chuckle:

LLT
02-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Its not as simple as that.

For in stance; Danazol is a NFL banned substance but who is going to know that the brand name of Danazol is Cyclomen...or that its also found in Danatrol? There are 46 banned Anabolic Agents that are associated with 117 brand names....7 banned Hormones associated with 37 different brand names....23 masking agents associated with 51 brand names.

A veteran might know that you dont even rub Vicks on your chest without taking it to a trainer first JUST TO BE SURE...but I can excuse a rookie if he doesnt "get it" yet.

I say all that to support an opinion based on his having taking a a banned substance by accident....if he knowingly took something banned or illegal....then he should be hung by his thumbs.

fansince'76
02-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Any confirmation of this other than Aaron Wilson at Scout.com?

ShutDown24
02-07-2012, 10:32 AM
I'll reserve judgement until the details go a little further

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 10:58 AM
I kind of lean toward being more forgiving toward PEDs then I do street drugs. If you are talking something to make you bigger faster and stronger so you can compete at a higher level against the best athletes in the world and are trying to make a roster...I can almost understand that...I disapprove of it but I can forgive it and understand it.

if you're being an a-hole and smoking pot cause you think its "cool" I tend to want to throw you off the team.

steelerdude15
02-07-2012, 11:34 AM

Same here.

BigNastyDefense
02-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Its not as simple as that.

For in stance; Danazol is a NFL banned substance but who is going to know that the brand name of Danazol is Cyclomen...or that its also found in Danatrol? There are 46 banned Anabolic Agents that are associated with 117 brand names....7 banned Hormones associated with 37 different brand names....23 masking agents associated with 51 brand names.

A veteran might know that you dont even rub Vicks on your chest without taking it to a trainer first JUST TO BE SURE...but I can excuse a rookie if he doesnt "get it" yet.

I say all that to support an opinion based on his having taking a a banned substance by accident....if he knowingly took something banned or illegal....then he should be hung by his thumbs.

It doesn't really matter, IMHO. I am sure everyone has a phone number to contact the trainer. A simple phone call before putting something in your body is all it would take.

If it turns out he did call the trainer, and that the trainer said he could take it, that's one thing. The trainer goofed. I can't hold Saunders responsible for that, he did his due diligence.

LLT
02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
It doesn't really matter, IMHO. I am sure everyone has a phone number to contact the trainer. A simple phone call before putting something in your body is all it would take.

If it turns out he did call the trainer, and that the trainer said he could take it, that's one thing. The trainer goofed. I can't hold Saunders responsible for that, he did his due diligence.

Odds are...if it is a banned substance, he didnt bother to contacdt the trainers. Thats would be on him....just saying that I understand it more if it would happen to a rookie than if it happens top a Vet who has the experience to know that you dont put anything in your body without having it checked out first.

7willBheaven
02-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Any confirmation of this other than Aaron Wilson at Scout.com?

This is what I'm wondering...I havent seen any 100% confirmed reports of this anywhere...only speculation and all of it is coming from the scout.com thing so who knows.

fansince'76
02-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Apparently it's PEDs:

NFL suspends Weslye Saunders four games (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12038/1208666-100.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)

Devilsdancefloor
02-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Ijm glad it isnt dope, but at the same time i wanna slap him in the back of the head. He needs to sit down and talk to a trainer or a few vets on what they take personally id pick a lineman and a LB to see what they take. I am hoping it is something explainable like i had a cold and took Sudafed cause i always took it for a cold and didnt know better.

XxKnightxX
02-07-2012, 02:01 PM
He probably wants to get so good so fast, he just needs to slow down. I hope its just some bullshit ingredient in a protein shake or whatever and not make him another Shawne Merriman or Brian Cushing. Oh Well

Count Steeler
02-07-2012, 02:02 PM
I leave it to the people that know the facts. Tomlin or Rooney will do the right thing.

LLT
02-07-2012, 02:23 PM
You almost have to start with giving a player the benefit of a doubt in regards to PED's. Who was the player that was suspended by the NFL a couple of years ago...because he took a supplement that was cleared by the NFL... but didnt list all its ingredients on the label? I know he sued the drug company and won several million dollars....and the league STILL wouldnt admit they were wrong in their suspension.

fansince'76
02-07-2012, 02:31 PM
You almost have to start with giving a player the benefit of a doubt in regards to PED's. Who was the player that was suspended by the NFL a couple of years ago...because he took a supplement that was cleared by the NFL... but didnt list all its ingredients on the label? I know he sued the drug company and won several million dollars....and the league STILL wouldnt admit they were wrong in their suspension.

Der Kommissar is NEVER wrong. :nono:

Hindes204
02-07-2012, 02:37 PM

Sorry LLT, but I agree with BND on this one. Being in the military, we are told that there is a ZERO tolerance policy when it comes to PEDs. Banned substances are known, and if we want to take anything that we even question just a little bit, we better get clarification first. Smae with the NFL policy. It comes down to personal responsibility, he should know exactly what goes into his body, period.

LLT
02-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Sorry LLT, but I agree with BND on this one. Being in the military, we are told that there is a ZERO tolerance policy when it comes to PEDs. Banned substances are known, and if we want to take anything that we even question just a little bit, we better get clarification first. Smae with the NFL policy. It comes down to personal responsibility, he should know exactly what goes into his body, period.

Not saying this is the case with Saunders...but with the one player I mentioned it would be the equivelent of the Military telling you that its okay to take Alka Seltzer...then finding out that Alka Selzer has an ingredient that IS banned....so they give you an article 15 for taking the very thing that they ok'd.

Devilsdancefloor
02-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Not saying this is the case with Saunders...but with the one player I mentioned it would be the equivelent of the Military telling you that its okay to take Alka Seltzer...then finding out that Alka Selzer has an ingredient that IS banned....so they give you an article 15 for taking the very thing that they ok'd.

http://nfllawsuitexposed.com/

this is the one i can remember, but it sounded like he knew wht he wastaking or at least the lawyer for the suppiment co said so, buit it also said it was not sanctioned by the NFLPA, i guess there could be another case.

Hindes204
02-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Well, thats the exception to the rule, it doesnt happen often. If it was approved, then he should not be at fault. However, if he knowingly took a substance without asking the question first, then he is 100% responsible and should be suspended.

stillers4me
02-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Mark Kaboly@MarkKaboly_Trib
therapeutic drugs are a lot different than performance enhancers, and with that, I'll leave it alone.

2h (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/166965429414277121)https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1776018787/Jennifer_s_Picures_normal.jpgMark Kaboly@MarkKaboly_Trib (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/MarkKaboly_Trib)

#Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Steelers) Wes Saunders isn't going anywhere because he did nothing wrong. But unfortunately we live in a world where assume the worst first.

salamander
02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Mark Kaboly@MarkKaboly_Trib
therapeutic drugs are a lot different than performance enhancers, and with that, I'll leave it alone.

2h (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/166965429414277121)https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1776018787/Jennifer_s_Picures_normal.jpgMark Kaboly@MarkKaboly_Trib (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/MarkKaboly_Trib)

#Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Steelers) Wes Saunders isn't going anywhere because he did nothing wrong. But unfortunately we live in a world where assume the worst first.

And in a world where the NFL commish hates the Steelers.

Someone had to go there... :lol:

Psycho Ward 86
02-07-2012, 06:17 PM
wtf! im pissed but i wont make a judgement call until the facts come out

Craic
02-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Technically, the league wasn't wrong as he did have the drug in his system. I know it's a weird deviation, but you have to remember that all of these things are bound up in the CBA and as such, union rules apply. If they admitted they were wrong on that and overturned it, could you imagine the flood of complaints, excuses, and the like the NFL would receive? I think this instance your talking about falls under the same heading as Troy on a cellphone to his wife. There's just too many bad instances and results of making an exception for one good one - and the first time the league doesn't admit something, the cries of favoritism would be deafening.

It is a shame though, and I'm glad the guy sued and won. Those are the cases where I think lawsuits are very needed.

stillers4me
02-07-2012, 07:07 PM
I've followed this young man on twitter since we signed him and until we get more details, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one. He obviously tested positive for something, but nothing about this kids character leads me to believe that he did anything deliberate. He was genuinely grateful for the chance at a pro career and the fact that it was in Pittsburgh was the cherry on top of a giant sundae.

Coach Tomlin and the Rooneys have always been fair when dealing with the players. How they handle it will tell me alot about what really happened.

Count Steeler
02-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I've followed this young man on twitter since we signed him and until we get more details, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one. He obviously tested positive for something, but nothing about this kids character leads me to believe that he did anything deliberate. He was genuinely grateful for the chance at a pro career and the fact that it was in Pittsburgh was the cherry on top of a giant sundae.

Coach Tomlin and the Rooneys have always been fair when dealing with the players. How they handle it will tell me alot about what really happened.

Agree. :applaudit:

steelreserve
02-07-2012, 09:03 PM
I don't know much of the details here, but ... if it's one of those legitimately defensible protein-shake-gone-wrong situations, then sure, I'd be glad to have him back as long as he's not so careless about it again.

If it's real steroids and real cheating, I really don't care to see him around anymore.

JayC
02-07-2012, 09:24 PM
give him a chance! if he gets suspended again cut his ass

katmandu
02-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Sorry LLT, but I agree with BND on this one. Being in the military, we are told that there is a ZERO tolerance policy when it comes to PEDs. Banned substances are known, and if we want to take anything that we even question just a little bit, we better get clarification first. Smae with the NFL policy. It comes down to personal responsibility, he should know exactly what goes into his body, period.x2. As a Retired NCO myself, I can attest to this as well.

Any Military member OR Professional athlete KNOWS the Standards, Expectations AND Consequences! Ignorance IS NOT AN EXCUSE....... PERIOD !

It's absolutely BULLSHIT to say...."Oh well, he's young and made a mistake." That's simply Co-Dependent.

Also, something I find quite disturbing is that Wes is a Twitter-HOLIC. The kid Tweets constantly! His Twitter feed has been DEAD QUITE for over a day now.

If he's NOT guilty, we isn't he out there Twittering away like he always does ?

Wes, "IF" this is true. You are a TRUE DUMB ASS and the Rooneys need to kick you to the curb like!

I pray for you this isn't true and you really do have your head on straight.

katmandu
02-08-2012, 01:37 AM
I've followed this young man on twitter since we signed him and until we get more details,

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one. He obviously tested positive for something, but nothing about this kids character leads me to believe that he did anything deliberate. As I stated above, his Twitter feed has been DEAD for over a day now. Wes is a Twitter-HOLIC.

If he ain't guilty, why ain't he talking (Tweeting) ?

fansince'76
02-08-2012, 02:03 AM
As I stated above, his Twitter feed has been DEAD for over a day now. Wes is a Twitter-HOLIC.

If he ain't guilty, why ain't he talking (Tweeting) ?

Maybe because he's on vacation (http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_weslye_saunders_suspended_four_games_for_un disclosed_violation/9802570)?

Saunders, who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent following the lockout, could not be reached for comment as he is currently vacationing out in Las Vegas.

Gotta love the way people automatically assume the worst.

BlacknGoldBabe
02-08-2012, 03:31 AM

You can't fix stupid :frusty:

zulater
02-08-2012, 06:00 AM
It's real simple, if they think that Saunders upside is worth it, they'll keep him, if they think he's a marginal NFL player, he'll probably be cut. Whichever way they go I'm fine with. But if I had to venture a guess, I say they keep him. I think there's some thought in the Steelers organization that Saunders could be a break out player as early as next season. So as long as the PED's weren't the cause of that optimism then I see no reason to cut him loose.

Hindes204
02-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Maybe because he's on vacation (http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_weslye_saunders_suspended_four_games_for_un disclosed_violation/9802570)?

Gotta love the way people automatically assume the worst.

Hes in Vegas, plenty of cell phone service there. He is an NFL player, there is a 100% chance he tweets from his phone, in cities all across America on a daily basis.

fansince'76
02-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Hes in Vegas, plenty of cell phone service there. He is an NFL player, there is a 100% chance he tweets from his phone, in cities all across America on a daily basis.

So, lack of Twitter activity over a 24-hour period = guilty. That's the kind of rationale that got Roethlisberger 6 games.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 12:28 PM
So, lack of Twitter activity over a 24-hour period = guilty. That's the kind of rationale that got Roethlisberger 6 games.

So are you implying that Saunders should quickly hire the criminal defense lawyer, that got Ray Lewis off the murder charge also? I hope he wont need that kind of help on this one.

Hindes204
02-08-2012, 12:33 PM

I have no idea, honestly I do not follow twitter that much (unless its Rob Lowe). I am not saying he's guilty, just saying his silence is a bit odd. Maybe his people told him not to tweet anything. Who knows. All we know now is that a banned substance was found, to me, unless Im proven wrong, that makes him guilty. As I said above, he should know exactly what he put in his body, period.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I have no idea, honestly I do not follow twitter that much (unless its Rob Lowe)..

Nice......the only place for credible tweets!!!

zulater
02-08-2012, 12:47 PM
It's not that big of deal imo. He's a guy with upside, but as of now he's not essential. So as long as losing whatever PED he tested positive for isn't necessary for him to maintain an NFL quality of play then if we can afford the roster spot keep him. If not cut him. I'm just glad it wasn't someone more important.

steelerdude15
02-08-2012, 12:51 PM
If its an ingredient in his supplements, then I'll let it pass. If its steroids, I'd like to see him traded or cut.

Hindes204
02-08-2012, 12:53 PM
If its an ingredient in his supplements, then I'll let it pass. If its steroids, I'd like to see him traded or cut.

As I said before, he knows what ingredients are banned, just like I do being in the military, if he took a supplement that he shouldnt of then why should he get a pass.

I am a bit of a supplement junkie, but I know (because I have to) EXACTLY whats in every one of them.

steelerdude15
02-08-2012, 12:55 PM
As I said before, he knows what ingredients are banned, just like I do being in the military, if he took a supplement that he shouldnt of then why should he get a pass.

I am a bit of a supplement junkie, but I know (because I have to) EXACTLY whats in every one of them.

O, I didn't realize they knew what ingredients were banned and weren't. He may be gone, we'll just have to wait and see.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Maybe he was eating tainted beef with Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie and Tyler Hamilton?

Hindes204
02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
O, I didn't realize they knew what ingredients were banned and weren't. He may be gone, we'll just have to wait and see.

The list is not hard to find at all, the banned substance list is well advertised.

https://www.nflplayers.com/about-us.aspx?section=about-us&levels=4&lvl2=Rules--Regulations&lvl3=Player-Policies&lvl4=Banned-Substances&menuName=Banned-Substances&parentName=Player-Policies

If I can find it within 5 seconds through google, than so can any NFL player. Like I said, if he wasnt sure, he should have asked questions.

I say all this under the assumption that he knowingly took a substance without clearing it through the trainers.

stillers4me
02-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Possibly ADHD med Adderall...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/weslye-saunders-suspension-likely-because-of-a-careless-mistake/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+(Steelers+D epot+Blog)&utm_content=FaceBook

zulater
02-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Possibly ADHD med Adderall...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/weslye-saunders-suspension-likely-because-of-a-careless-mistake/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+(Steelers+D epot+Blog)&utm_content=FaceBook

I hope that's what it was, and if so it truly sucks that unlike with recreational drugs they get suspended 4 games for a first time offense, particularly if it's for something as innocuous as Adderal.

If this is the case the Steelers most certainly should keep him if he earns a roster sport in camp.

86WARD
02-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Austin Pettis got suspended 4 games for it.

Shoes
02-08-2012, 08:36 PM
The world has gone mad! :chuckle:

Hindes204
02-08-2012, 08:54 PM
I hope that's what it was, and if so it truly sucks that unlike with recreational drugs they get suspended 4 games for a first time offense, particularly if it's for something as innocuous as Adderal.

If this is the case the Steelers most certainly should keep him if he earns a roster sport in camp.

I think Adderal should be treated the same way as any other drug, its a prescription drug. You cannot get it without a doctor. So if thats it, then he knowingly took an illegal drug

stillers4me
02-08-2012, 09:07 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/source-weslye-saunders-used-adderall-for-add/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29&utm_content=FaceBook

zulater
02-08-2012, 09:08 PM
I think Adderal should be treated the same way as any other drug, its a prescription drug. You cannot get it without a doctor. So if thats it, then he knowingly took an illegal drug

For kids today the shit's like M&M's, he probably didn't think he was doing anything much wrong. But more to the point, if that's what it is, then obviously he's not a "juicer" and doesn't need PED's to compete. From what I've heard the Steelers think this kid has good upside, that he can be a solid two way tight end that will complement Heath Miller. If that's the case then I would think that the Steelers should and will keep Saunders. The kid deserves a second chance, and the Steelers would be foolish to cut him over this.

stillers4me
02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/373710_259166034121340_867498470_q.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/WesSaunders82)[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/WesSaunders82"]Weslye Saunders (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/#)
Steeler Nation I'm so sorry for everything. I appreciate the support. Believe me, I need it. Can't wait for next season!

zulater
02-11-2012, 07:26 AM
They have a piece every week in Steelers Digest called "Pop Steelers", where they ask several Steelers random questions concerning all matters of things. The last question in the Jan. 7 edition was : Teammate who will have a big 2012? Of the 4 Steelers polled 2 responded with Wes Saunders. (Hines Ward and Marcus Gilbert) Does it mean anything? I think so. These guys see him in practice every day, and they're obviously seeing some huge upside. Saunders was projected by most draft services to go in the 2nd round, some even had him as a late first. But a late injury and some off the field issues dropped him entirely from the draft.

Anyway my bottom line assessment is that you don't cut off your nose to spite your face. This young man made a mistake, but I don't think it's unforgivable. The Steelers should and will keep him imo if he earns his roster spot in camp. ( I predict he will)

steelreserve
02-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Yeah, if it's something like Adderall, I'd say give the kid another chance. Either he was dumb for not getting everything registered through the proper channels, or he was dumb for getting high. That's a lot easier to get over than out-and-out cheating. Now, DON'T DO IT AGAIN.

bayz101
02-11-2012, 03:32 PM
I hope it's nothing too serious and the suspension get's lifted.

Hindes204
02-12-2012, 12:00 AM
For kids today the shit's like M&M's, he probably didn't think he was doing anything much wrong. But more to the point, if that's what it is, then obviously he's not a "juicer" and doesn't need PED's to compete. From what I've heard the Steelers think this kid has good upside, that he can be a solid two way tight end that will complement Heath Miller. If that's the case then I would think that the Steelers should and will keep Saunders. The kid deserves a second chance, and the Steelers would be foolish to cut him over this.

I guess me being in the military skews my thoughts on this a little. If I were to knowingly take that stuff and pop positive, I would be out of the military...wouldnt matter how good I was at my job. But this is apples and oranges, so it does no good debating it. I still say hes an idiot for popping positive

bayz101
02-12-2012, 12:07 AM
You just can't put yourself in that position as an athlete. I said the same thing when Ben got into trouble, you just can't do it.

Hindes204
02-12-2012, 12:10 AM
You just can't put yourself in that position as an athlete. I said the same thing when Ben got into trouble, you just can't do it.

multi tasking I see, lol

bayz101
02-12-2012, 12:12 AM
multi tasking I see, lol

Hah! Dude, I have so many window's open right now. Facebook, Youtube and 3 other Steelers boards. Should be sleeping considering all i've drank.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2012, 12:52 AM
I guess me being in the military skews my thoughts on this a little. If I were to knowingly take that stuff and pop positive, I would be out of the military...wouldnt matter how good I was at my job. But this is apples and oranges, so it does no good debating it. I still say hes an idiot for popping positive

What if you beat your wife like Harrison? Or got busted with pot like Santonio, or had Leonard Little DUI? Would you still be in the military?

Different world my man.

Hindes204
02-12-2012, 01:00 AM
What if you beat your wife like Harrison? Or got busted with pot like Santonio, or had Leonard Little DUI? Would you still be in the military?

Different world my man.

Absolutely...hence my "apples and oranges" statement

I still say hes an idiot for popping positive

bayz101
02-12-2012, 01:54 AM

Different world my man.

Harrison open-hand slapped his wife and went into a depression over it. He didn't "beat" his wife at all. As for Holmes, he's just an idiot.

bayz101
02-12-2012, 01:57 AM
As a matter in fact, he wasn't even married to her, it was his girlfriend.

Moose
02-12-2012, 05:56 AM

DITTO !

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Harrison open-hand slapped his wife and went into a depression over it. He didn't "beat" his wife at all. As for Holmes, he's just an idiot.
Semantics.

I have been married for almost 20 yrs and have never Hit my wife with an open hand to the face leaving red marks on her face. It's a cowardly act. Are you defending that?

Point if that if this was Heath Miller and not Wes Saunders, many that are criticizing would be wanting to give him a break.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2012, 09:56 AM
As a matter in fact, he wasn't even married to her, it was his girlfriend. ok, so girlfriend abuse is OK in your books, but if they were married it's different?

Cowardly and wrong.

zulater
02-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Semantics.

I have been married for almost 20 yrs and have never Hit my wife with an open hand to the face leaving red marks on her face. It's a cowardly act. Are you defending that?

Point if that if this was Heath Miller and not Wes Saunders, many that are criticizing would be wanting to give him a break.

I think it's fair to criticize Saunders for the mistake he's made. But it's also reasonable to feel he's entitled to another chance. Which I think is exactly what's going to happen.

As far as Harrison's previous transgressions with his girlfriend. It was a loathsome act no doubt. But it wasn't an all out assault, he broke her cell phone, not her face, or arm etc... So that too was a forgivable offense, as long as it remains a one time isolated incident.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I think it's fair to criticize Saunders for the mistake he's made. But it's also reasonable to feel he's entitled to another chance. Which I think is exactly what's going to happen.

As far as Harrison's previous transgressions with his girlfriend. It was a loathsome act no doubt. But it wasn't an all out assault, he broke her cell phone, not her face, or arm etc... So that too was a forgivable offense, as long as it remains a one time isolated incident.

My point was that Harrison's actions of a 245 LB professional athlete, hitting his girlfriend with an open hand so hard that it left red marks, required a call to the cops and charges of domestic violence by the police.....is much worse than a guy allegedly popping some ADD drug for whatever benefits. The cries for Saunders punishment and similar cries for Harrisons forgiveness are based primarily on the fact that one guy is a undrafted rookie, while the other is an all pro player.

Saunders should and will get a 2nd chance, because of his upside. Players have done much worse things and been given a pass.

zulater
02-12-2012, 10:55 AM
My point was that Harrison's actions of a 245 LB professional athlete, hitting his girlfriend with an open hand so hard that it left red marks, required a call to the cops and charges of domestic violence by the police.....is much worse than a guy allegedly popping some ADD drug for whatever benefits. The cries for Saunders punishment and similar cries for Harrisons forgiveness are based primarily on the fact that one guy is a undrafted rookie, while the other is an all pro player.

Saunders should and will get a 2nd chance, because of his upside. Players have done much worse things and been given a pass.

I get your point, and I certainly agree Saunders deserves a second chance, and that his mistake was a lesser one than Harrison's. But I just wish we could leave Harrison's prior transgressions in the past.. I think he was punished sufficiently already for his misdeed.

LLT
02-12-2012, 10:57 AM

This.

bayz101
02-12-2012, 11:06 AM
ok, so girlfriend abuse is OK in your books, but if they were married it's different?

Cowardly and wrong.

That wasn't what I said, was it? I was simply pointing out that it was his girlfriend, not his wife, as you suggested. It isn't okay to abuse women in any way whatsoever, but i'm growing tired of it being made out like he beat her. Whenever the subject comes up people make it out like he busted up her face and broke some bones. He shouldn't have hit her either way, but the subject of the fight was whether or not to baptize his son.

I could imagine that being a touchy subject with some people :huh:

The Steelers will probably be lenient with Saunders. This is his first offence as a member of the Steelers.

Holmes had to get busted a few times before he was out the door. As for Harrison, same for him. He's had one real off-field incident since being a part of Pittsburgh, and that's why he's still here today.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2012, 03:17 PM
That wasn't what I said, was it? I was simply pointing out that it was his girlfriend, not his wife, as you suggested. It isn't okay to abuse women in any way whatsoever, but i'm growing tired of it being made out like he beat her. Whenever the subject comes up people make it out like he busted up her face and broke some bones. He shouldn't have hit her either way, but the subject of the fight was whether or not to baptize his son.

I could imagine that being a touchy subject with some people :huh:

The Steelers will probably be lenient with Saunders. This is his first offence as a member of the Steelers.

Holmes had to get busted a few times before he was out the door. As for Harrison, same for him. He's had one real off-field incident since being a part of Pittsburgh, and that's why he's still here today.

Why is it that you take Harrison's arrest for assault personally??

Facts of the case are:
-they had an arguement and the girlfriend locked herself in the bedroom and called 9-1-1.
-Harrison breaks the door down, takes the phone and breaks it
-then he gives her an open hand slap in the face, which officers said left red marks on her face.

If Harrison did that to you, you would be scared out of your mind, let alone how a woman feels. Other Steelers have had transgressions off the field, Greg Lloyd pointed a gun at his son, Ben.......we dont have time for all that.

Short of it is, I can separate the players that I like, with the people they are off the field. Most have lived entitled lives based on their athletic ability and have strange senses of right and wrong. Saunders is a rising talent on this team on the field, but off the field it looks like took some ADD med. No big deal. Others have done worse.