PDA

View Full Version : Update: Todd Haley Named New Steelers Offensive Coordinator

polamalubeast
02-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Hearing that Todd Haley has been hired as the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator. Official announcement should be coming soon

https://twitter.com/thecarm

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/rumor-todd-haley-to-be-announced-as-steelers-new-offensive-coordinator-soon/

ShutDown24
02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Interesting if true

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Heads are about to explode. :lol:

Traded in an Oldsmobile for a Chevy Silverado.

smokin3000gt
02-06-2012, 03:42 PM
What's the word on Haley? I haven't followed KC enough to know anything about the guy or his play calling ability. I do know about his temper, but besides that can he call plays or what?

ShutDown24
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
What's the word on Haley? I haven't followed KC enough to know anything about the guy or his play calling ability. I do know about his temper, but besides that can he call plays or what?

Ill tempered and kind of weird as far as personality goes.

He is a little all over the place as a play caller. I will say the one good thing I have seen in Haley's play calling is he seems to build his offenses around the talent that is on his rosters and not the other way around.

SteelGhost
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM

:rofl2:

polamalubeast
02-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Haley had spent the last three seasons as the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs before being fired towards the end of the season. Prior to that, Haley was the offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals for the 2007 and 2008 seasons. During his time with the Cardinals, the team set franchise records in scoring while on their way to Super Bowl XLIII against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2012/2/6/2775995/todd-haley-pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-coordinator

Count Steeler
02-06-2012, 03:54 PM
FIRE the bum!

fansince'76
02-06-2012, 03:56 PM
FIRE the bum!

http://www.ybig.ie/forum/uploads/20110118_005516_mob-simpsons.jpg

:chuckle:

polamalubeast
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
http://www.ybig.ie/forum/uploads/20110118_005516_mob-simpsons.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

tube517
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Please add Haley sucks and Fire Haley and Haleys fault to this forum's key words
Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Iron Steeler
02-06-2012, 03:59 PM
He did we'll in AZ. Maybe he will force ben to make quick reads like kurt warner did. One thing is for is that haley wont be a push over for ben.

BlastFurnace
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I guess this is Tomlin's 2012 version of "Unleashing Hell"

Haley is a good coach and a fireball of a personality.

fansince'76
02-06-2012, 04:12 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

All kidding aside and assuming this is true, I wish Haley all the best.

XxKnightxX
02-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Over/Under for Fire Haley Threads?

st33lersguy
02-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Good news, he got the most out of Arizona's offense, he can get the most out of Pittsburgh's offense

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2012, 04:30 PM
So if that's true..does it make us the Cardinals East?

7willBheaven
02-06-2012, 04:36 PM
So if that's true..does it make us the Cardinals East?

Now thats funny...but I think we'll have to have a few more ex-cardinals before that happens.

XxKnightxX
02-06-2012, 04:38 PM
We just need to sign Gabe Watson. Re sign Joey Porter Clark Hagans, hire Russ Grimm as our OL coach, and Have Sean Morey be our Team Rep.

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Now thats funny...but I think we'll have to have a few more ex-cardinals before that happens.

I can name one Cardinal I would love to see in the black and gold and he wears number 11.

XxKnightxX
02-06-2012, 04:41 PM
I can name one Cardinal I would love to see in the black and gold and he wears number 11.

But Da Roonyys ar too damn cheap! Seriously though, we cant afford that contract.

tube517
02-06-2012, 04:44 PM
All speculation until you know who tweets it

XxKnightxX
02-06-2012, 04:46 PM

Oooo ooo I know. MR Rachel Nicholsssssss
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTczOTQ5MjIzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTgzMjkzNA@@._ V1._SY314_CR5,0,214,314_.jpg

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2012, 04:54 PM
well I just checked and the Cardinals and Cheifs both had FBs on the rosters when he was coaching them...so...I guess I can't completely hate the guy right out of the gates...

I'll need to save my Torch and keep the Pitchfork in the shed for now.

steel9guy
02-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Todd Haley is the man! He did great things with all the Cardinals receivers and made Jamal Charles with a top notch running game in KC! He plays to his teams strengths! I like this hire.

salamander
02-06-2012, 04:58 PM
IF this is true, then I say welcome to Pittsburgh, Coach Haley!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2012, 05:00 PM

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk You know it Youngblood. :wave:

GutterflowerSteel
02-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Just heard it on Sirius NFL Radio - it seems to be true. T-Rock and PK are talking about it now, and how he's going to build a relationship with Ben. Pat just said, "I don't think there's a lot of wiggle room for Ben ... it'll be a very different experience for Ben."

polamalubeast
02-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Report: Steelers hire Todd Haley as offensive coordinator

Posted by Josh Alper on February 6, 2012, 5:21 PM EST

AP
Todd Haley is following in his father’s footsteps and joining the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Dick Haley played for the Steelers and was their longtime player personnel director and now his son will reportedly be the team’s offensive coordinator. Marc Carman of 610 AM in Kansas City had the initial report on Monday afternoon, which was later corroborated by Chris Mortensen of ESPN. The team has yet to make an official announcement.

read more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/06/report-steelers-hire-todd-haley-as-offensive-coordinator/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7548154/source-pittsburgh-steelers-hire-todd-haley-new-oc

polamalubeast
02-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Haley is now on the hot seat!

steelerdiva
02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Personally, I like the idea of having an OC who ain't afraid to light a fire under a few bee-hinds, but at the same time, I hope he doesn't get out of control with it.

7willBheaven
02-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Anyways...if this is true...I dont really have a problem with it. He is a good OC, which is key...and has some fire to him which we havent seen much of since Cowher was around and spitting everywhere. He wasnt ready to be a HC when he got the job in KC and things went bad (who knows what went on behind closed doors that led to issues...we will never know)...so I put those things aside and look at what hes done with the offenses he's been with and I like what I see. So this definitely be a good thing and I would welcome him aboard and say lets get this party started!

X-Terminator
02-06-2012, 05:35 PM
FIOR HALIEEEEEE!!!!!!

X-Terminator
02-06-2012, 05:39 PM
BTW, a coach having "fire" is overrated. If an NFL player needs a coach to get him fired up, then he shouldn't be in the NFL. Just MHO.

That said, welcome Coach Haley and make sure to invest in a good fire suit. You're gonna need it.

polamalubeast
02-06-2012, 05:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/42054/steelers-to-hire-todd-haley-as-coordinator

7willBheaven
02-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Wow even good ol' Wikipedia has him as the OC and its not even official yet...nice! hahah

XxKnightxX
02-06-2012, 05:43 PM
BTW, a coach having "fire" is overrated. If an NFL player needs a coach to get him fired up, then he shouldn't be in the NFL. Just MHO.

That said, welcome Coach Haley and make sure to invest in a good fire suit. You're gonna need it.

True, but I think a team does need a 'fire' once complacency and mediocrity is seen as acceptable for the past 4 years. I without a doubt know Haley is going to piss some people off but I guess he got brought in to do the dirty work. Get that dust of the DVD player Ben.Time to do some homework.

ShutDown24
02-06-2012, 05:43 PM
well I just checked and the Cardinals and Cheifs both had FBs on the rosters when he was coaching them...so...I guess I can't completely hate the guy right out of the gates...

I hate to do this here... But I can't take it anymore.

If David Johnson switched his jersey number to 44 and changed his last name to Smith, Steelers fans would call him a stud. Few would notice the difference and the coaching staff would be praised for adding a "real" fullback to the roster. Just because the guy weighs 270lbs and can also play tight end doesn't mean he is any less effective as a lead blocker. Johnson moves extremely well for a player of his size and finishes his blocks. This team would have scored several fewer touchdowns this season if it wasn't for the skills of David Johnson.

Psycho Ward 86
02-06-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm cautious to react to the hire. This could turn out to be really good or really bad. I think he's going to be a polarizing coach both for the players and the fans during his time here. Hopefully for the better. Good luck Haley!

slippy
02-06-2012, 05:54 PM
"for a player of his size" ... 'nuff said. he cant move, cant catch, and cant block.

JayC
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM
good news. a friendemy will be good for ben in my opinion.

Butch
02-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Don't mind him lighting a fire as long as he doesn't burn the house down. I am anxious to see what he will bring to the table. Good luck hope you are involved in more superbowl wins than the last guy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2012, 06:03 PM

If David Johnson switched his jersey number to 44 and changed his last name to Smith, Steelers fans would call him a stud. Few would notice the difference and the coaching staff would be praised for adding a "real" fullback to the roster. Just because the guy weighs 270lbs and can also play tight end doesn't mean he is any less effective as a lead blocker. Johnson moves extremely well for a player of his size and finishes his blocks. This team would have scored several fewer touchdowns this season if it wasn't for the skills of David Johnson.

Shutdown, sure put a #44 on his jersey and call him a FB if you want. Then I would say that he is a better pass catching FB than a blocker. He plays high when blocking and absorbs his defender rather than getting good pad level and rolling his hips thru on blocks.

I honestly cant say that I think Johnson is a better blocker out of the backfield than Jon Witman, Dan Kreider or Tim Lester ever was for the Steelers. He was however better than Carey Davis. I actually think he is a downgrade from Sean McHugh.

ALLD
02-06-2012, 06:07 PM
A change needed to be made and hopefully we pick up the option in the third year.

SteelerFanInStl
02-06-2012, 06:18 PM
I just saw this on NFL Network. They say that the offer has been made but he hasn't accepted yet. I'm sure that it's just a matter of time.

I think that I like the hire but I'm not entirely sold on him yet. We'll see what he can bring out of our offense.

Hindes204
02-06-2012, 06:31 PM
FIRE HIM!!!!!!!

Devilsdancefloor
02-06-2012, 07:02 PM

here is my problem with letting your TE play as lead blocker HE is not a running back he doesnt see the holes like a RB sees a hole or crease. Id rather have spaeth back (oh god did i just day that) to lead block. BUT back to haley i like the hire i feel that the BUDDY BUDDY with BA has made the O not perform up to the standards

stillers4me
02-06-2012, 07:03 PM
The Steelers have not yet posted it on Steelers.com.

They are waiting for the Rob Lowe tweet.

zulater
02-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Anyone who wants to sell me that David Johnson is the equal of Henry Hynoski I'm going to tell you is completely full of shit! Because of Arians total devaluation of the position, here we have a kid playing out of the same stadium for two years, who goes undrafted, and we don't even sign him to bring him into camp? :mad: Thanks Bruce. Having a mediocre backup tight end who neither blocks particularly well and doesn't do squat for the passing game might excite some of you. But I'd rather have an honest to goodness fullback like the old days with Dan Kreider.

Damn, we could have had Hynoski!!!! :frusty:

Nadroj 20
02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
I think this is exciting news...i can't wait to see the offense play!!

vader29
02-06-2012, 07:17 PM
The Steelers have not yet posted it on Steelers.com.

They are waiting for the Rob Lowe tweet.

They're actually reading message boards like ours to see what the fan reaction is before they have him sign the contract. :lol:

SteelGhost
02-06-2012, 07:23 PM
http://www.keepingit-realtor.com/images/2008/11/25/humanpeacesymbol_4.jpg

Torches forming the Peace Symbol :chuckle:

Kidding aside .... I hope this hire can bring some boost to the offense and Haley can take advantage of the weapons he'll have AND improve the OL :thumbsup:

The Duke
02-06-2012, 07:29 PM

I'll need to save my Torch and keep the Pitchfork in the shed for now.

David Johnson is a damn good fullback. I doubt they replace him unless they get someone extraordinary

fullback is really the least concern with this offense

steelerdude15
02-06-2012, 07:44 PM
If he does sign the contract, welcome. I can only hope he improves this offense.

zulater
02-06-2012, 07:50 PM
David Johnson is a damn good fullback. I doubt they replace him unless they get someone extraordinary

fullback is really the least concern with this offense

Uh, no he's not. Not even close, but it's been so long since we've seen a quality one in a Steelers uniform it's understandable why you might have forgot what a real one looks like.

SMR
02-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Todd Haley?!! WOW!!!

Dang, I am already so excited, or nervous. Which one is it?

I don't know yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devilsdancefloor
02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
now if the steelers can sign Dan Connor and while he is picking up the D he can play FB :lol: im excited to see what happens KC O was almost 50/50 pass/rush, but i think he has a better set of WR here so it might be more 60/40. I just hope Ben and others do not hold a grudge like the Oline did when grimm didnt get the job

86WARD
02-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Love it...

86WARD
02-06-2012, 08:21 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/e624vo.gif

Bluecoat96
02-06-2012, 08:24 PM
now if the steelers can sign Dan Connor and while he is picking up the D he can play FB :lol: im excited to see what happens KC O was almost 50/50 pass/rush, but i think he has a better set of WR here so it might be more 60/40. I just hope Ben and others do not hold a grudge like the Oline did when grimm didnt get the job

I thought it was more Faneca who seemed to hold a grudge rather than the whole O-line.

Bluecoat96
02-06-2012, 08:26 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/e624vo.gif

:lol:

What the hell is he doing?

VTsteel
02-06-2012, 08:46 PM

The missing footage . . .

http://picchore.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/todd-haley-animated-gif.gif

steelerdude15
02-06-2012, 08:47 PM
The missing photage . . .

Chiefs fans seem to think this is a good idea:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255659

tube517
02-06-2012, 09:05 PM
The missing footage . . .

:rofl2:

fansince'76
02-06-2012, 09:06 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255659

Sorry, I must've missed it. Didn't read the whole thread, but what I did read confirmed some of my biggest worries about him.

steelerdude15
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Sorry, I must've missed it. Didn't read the whole thread, but what I did read confirmed some of my biggest worries about him.

Whats your worries '76?

zulater
02-06-2012, 09:15 PM

Trust the process. The people conducting the interview's have a good track record. If he was some flake ,or arrogant know nothing asshole, it would come out in the process and he wont get hired.

fansince'76
02-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Whats your worries '76?

That he's a megalomaniacal asshole who arguably has a screw loose. He accused the Chiefs FO of tapping his phone? Really? :der:

oneforthetoe
02-06-2012, 09:30 PM

Eating Goober peas ....

zulater
02-06-2012, 09:37 PM
That he's a megalomaniacal asshole who arguably has a screw loose. He accused the Chiefs FO of tapping his phone? Really? :der:

You read the whole story? Pioli is a controlling megalomaniac. Many in that organization believe Haley's story could have merit.

Again, you're not involved in the interview process. Those that are are aware of these stories. If they're not explained to their satisfaction Haley will not be hired.

BigNastyDefense
02-06-2012, 09:40 PM
I think it's a good hire. He wasn't ready to be a HC, and if he turns the Steelers offense into one that's a top 7 offense in the NFL, he may get a second shot. I think he will get the most out of the talent on this offense. And he will run the ball, Redman is a very capable back and he will be used.

Steeltreal
02-06-2012, 09:43 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255659 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255659)

They only have a planet? That blows

zulater
02-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Paranoid? The Chiefs have adamantly denied that they tap phones or listen in on conversations. But as the team enters another period of transition after elevating defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel last week to head coach, interviews with more than two dozen current and former employees suggest that intimidation and secrecy are among the Chiefs’ principal management styles — and that Haley wasn’t the only one with paranoid thoughts.

“When you’re mentally abused, you eventually lose it, too,” one former longtime Chiefs executive said.

Since Scott Pioli was hired as general manager in January 2009, life for many inside the Chiefs’ front office has been marked by massive staff turnover, fear and insecurity about how closely they are watched. Numerous current and former staffers paint a picture of constant worry — and, in a few cases, of alleged age discrimination. Three former department heads sued the Chiefs in 2011, though the team has denied wrongdoing.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371495/arrowhead-anxiety-turnover-off.html#storylink=cpy

86WARD
02-06-2012, 09:52 PM

He gets a bad wrap for a lot of that shit...

As far as the phone tapping goes, there have been reports out there that multiple sources have reported the phone tapping issues. Florio wrote a piece on it in regards to the NFL being forced to look into it now because of these allegations.

We are talking about Scott Pioli here...

zulater
02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
The Chiefs said there’s nothing to substantiate Haley’s fears, but some believed that anything was possible.

“I don’t think that anything would surprise anyone, really,” said a former employee who worked for the Chiefs for more than two decades. “That’s how Scott wants it.”

A common notion is that employees are constantly being watched. When they arrive and leave, where they’re going within the building and who they’re talking to. Indeed, the technology exists at the Chiefs’ offices, as it does in many corporate settings, to monitor phone calls and emails. But here, some staffers even hesitated before using their cell phones or speaking inside the building, because, like Haley, they suspected that conversations were monitored.

“The capability was definitely there for Big Brother to be watching,” said Schneider, whose job was to oversee maintenance at team facilities.

Added Pete Penland, who worked in operations before retiring: “I just know that some of our bosses had always told us: Be careful what we did, what we said and where we were at in certain parts of the building.”

But the suspicion was prevalent enough that, when some staffers wanted to speak candidly, they set appointments with coworkers to meet outside the building so they could talk face-to-face. Others, trying to skirt an impression that employees shouldn’t fraternize with those from different departments, occasionally left the facility at different times, in different cars, so that team administrators wouldn’t know they were having lunch together.

“I don’t think that’s ever been an issue for me. I know that people have done it,” Farmer said. “They don’t want to be seen going with this person or that person. I understand — I hate to say this — I understand the process that some people felt they needed to take, but again, I never kind of adhered to that behavior.”

Still, other staffers were nervous that someone might report to administrators that they were at a place with people they weren’t supposed to associate with.

“Every day,” a former longtime staffer said, “you walked into the building like you were going to be put on the witness stand and be cross-examined, and you didn’t know who it was going to be coming from.”

For some, the pressure was more difficult to deal with than others.

“Whether it’s a licensed professional or somebody else,” the employee said, “hell yeah, you’d better talk to somebody. Because you’ll go crazy.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371495/arrowhead-anxiety-turnover-off.html#storylink=cpy

GBMelBlount
02-06-2012, 09:55 PM
They only have a planet? That blows

:sofunny:

I am pleased...

and I doubt we we will see less thans 20.3 ppg with Haley next year.

zulater
02-06-2012, 10:03 PM
He gets a bad wrap for a lot of that shit...

As far as the phone tapping goes, there have been reports out there that multiple sources have reported the phone tapping issues. Florio wrote a piece on it in regards to the NFL being forced to look into it now because of these allegations.

We are talking about Scott Pioli here...

Let me put it this way. If you read the entire story in the Kansas City Star you can see the basis for some paranoia. But more to the point, you can also see the difference between a Paoli led organization, and the Steelers way of doing things, and you can safely conclude that Haley wont have the same unease in Pittsburgh that he had in Kansas City.

Iron Steeler
02-06-2012, 10:14 PM
30+ points a game I expect nothing less!

steelpride12
02-06-2012, 10:17 PM
No one can critize Haley yet. All we as Steeler fans can do is give the man a chance to prove himself regardless of his past. I believe Tomlin and the Rooneys took their time and made the right choice in their eyes. I believe.

X-Terminator
02-06-2012, 10:27 PM
No one can critize Haley yet. All we as Steeler fans can do is give the man a chance to prove himself regardless of his past. I believe Tomlin and the Rooneys took their time and made the right choice in their eyes. I believe.

Oh, he's going to get a chance. How long that chance lasts...well, going from experience, it won't be very long. But after reading all of the psychological torture he allegedly went through in KC, he is more than prepared for the psychological torture from The Nation that awaits him the first time he makes a mistake. So it may not even affect him.

steelpride12
02-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Oh, he's going to get a chance. How long that chance lasts...well, going from experience, it won't be very long. But after reading all of the psychological torture he allegedly went through in KC, he is more than prepared for the psychological torture from The Nation that awaits him the first time he makes a mistake. So it may not even affect him.
I just hope we the Nation give him a legitimate chance and not run him out of town after one bad game. Just because were a spoiled fan base who expects perfection we must give him time to prove him, then kick his ass out :lol:

Chidi29
02-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Can't be too critical and we'll see what he does, but I'm not thrilled. He's too much of a hot head. Players either respond really well or really poorly and I don't like rolling that dice. The team is on course to reach its potential, no need to make a "risky" move like this. And Tomlin likes to let his guys coach and knows how hot Haley can get so I doubt he'll intervene too much.

I would have preferred Fichtner but best of luck to Haley.

Chidi29
02-06-2012, 10:53 PM
And David Johnson is a quality lead blocker. Sure, we'll see the mental lapse from time to time, perhaps because he's still learning some of the nuances of the position, perhpas because we don't communicate well as a team, but there's no reason to complain about him. Especially a guy that is versatile, one of the biggest keys players have to have in today's NFL. Niches are a thing of the past.

zulater
02-06-2012, 11:05 PM
And David Johnson is a quality lead blocker. Sure, we'll see the mental lapse from time to time, perhaps because he's still learning some of the nuances of the position, perhpas because we don't communicate well as a team, but there's no reason to complain about him. Especially a guy that is versatile, one of the biggest keys players have to have in today's NFL. Niches are a thing of the past.

He's 3 years in the league. He's mediocre, and that's all he ever will be.

Edman
02-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Funny, I never heard talk of Haley's ego and craziness when he was an OC in Arizona.

If we went ahead and avoided guys based on prior HC experience (Who we are not hiring Haley for by the way), then Dick Lebeau should've never seen the light of day in this town. He was a Terrible HC in Cincinnati, but wound up fielding top-ranked Defenses as DC for most of his time here.

Some guys are just better cut out for Coordinator jobs than Head Coaching.

7willBheaven
02-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Funny, I never heard talk of Haley's ego and craziness when he was an OC in Arizona.

If we went ahead and avoided guys based on prior HC experience (Who we are not hiring Haley for by the way), then Dick Lebeau should've never seen the light of day in this town. He was a Terrible HC in Cincinnati, but wound up fielding top-ranked Defenses as DC for most of his time here.

Agreed, being a head coach is tooooo much for some people...and Haley could be one of them...at least at this point in his career.

Chidi29
02-06-2012, 11:36 PM
He's 3 years in the league. He's mediocre, and that's all he ever will be.

Have to disagree with you there. Above average blocker to me. Strong upper body and drives with the lower half, just as any good lead blocker should do.

NCSteeler
02-06-2012, 11:55 PM

He had a few blow outs, very publicly , with Boldin while he was there. I not a huge fan because of what I've seen of his attitude. Tim Hasselbeck said today that he was in a meeting with him and said confrontation was his thing he liked it. At the same time I trust the people doing the interviews to ferret out what his deal is and whether that is what this team needs or not.

Steeldude
02-06-2012, 11:55 PM
arians lovers are going to take any chance they get to cut haley down. i think they'll give him one or two games before they start in. then again, if he runs a grab-bag offense they might fall in love with him. :lol:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Have to disagree with you there. Above average blocker to me. Strong upper body and drives with the lower half, just as any good lead blocker should do.
I disagree with Johnson assessment. He makes contact with defender and then stops moving his feet. Does not turn the defender often for the RB to read the block. He is a decent blocker, but not on the level of guys like :

Vonta Leach, Ovie Mugheli, Leonard Weaver, Lousaka Polite, Lawrence Vickers, Jim Kleinsaser, Amhad Hall, Jon Kuhn, Hynoski.

The Duke
02-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Uh, no he's not. Not even close, but it's been so long since we've seen a quality one in a Steelers uniform it's understandable why you might have forgot what a real one looks like.

perhaps. But DJ is still serviceable enough that finding the best fullback out there should not be a priority. Not when there are so many other things that can be done to fix this offense

but I will put a name out there- Shane Bannon. He was with the chiefs last year and I remember him being considered a very good lead blocker. But of course, after they got Le'ron McClain he had no chance in KC

we'll see what happens. If that report that Saunders was suspended is true, our TE depth is seriously compromised now considering the #2 is also our fullback

Aussie_steeler
02-07-2012, 04:53 AM
perhaps. But DJ is still serviceable enough that finding the best fullback out there should not be a priority. Not when there are so many other things that can be done to fix this offense

but I will put a name out there- Shane Bannon. He was with the chiefs last year and I remember him being considered a very good lead blocker. But of course, after they got Le'ron McClain he had no chance in KC

we'll see what happens. If that report that Saunders was suspended is true, our TE depth is seriously compromised now considering the #2 is also our fullback

LaRon McClain is also a free agent.

Aussie_steeler
02-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Niches are a thing of the past.

I am having real trouble decoding your true meaning.

I would love to hear you perspective before I harshly jump all over the statement.

zulater
02-07-2012, 05:09 AM
I disagree with Johnson assessment. He makes contact with defender and then stops moving his feet. Does not turn the defender often for the RB to read the block. He is a decent blocker, but not on the level of guys like :

Vonta Leach, Ovie Mugheli, Leonard Weaver, Lousaka Polite, Lawrence Vickers, Jim Kleinsaser, Amhad Hall, Jon Kuhn, Hynoski.

Perfectly said! :applaudit:

zulater
02-07-2012, 05:15 AM

Good post.

Saunders was suspended? Where was that?

zulater
02-07-2012, 05:37 AM
Haley is said to be combative, egotistical and generally not easy to deal with. But Mike Tomlin has heard all the stories, has sat down face-to-face with Haley and knows what he’s getting. Haley comes highly recommended. Ken Whisenhunt was willing to hire him. Bill Parcells was willing to hire him. Those are two pretty good recommendations.

Haley didn’t get where he’s been -- an NFL offensive coordinator at Arizona and a head coach at Kansas City -- by being impossible to deal with.

When I wrote the article in question, I was chided by some who maintained not only would Roethlisberger not be willing to change his ways but the Steelers would not even be willing to present the challenge.

If Haley is the new offensive coordinator, the challenge has been placed in front of Roethlisberger.

This isn’t to suggest Haley is going to come in and make demands on Roethlisberger, the $100 million quarterback. Vince Lombardi might have coached that way but no one does today. Haley is a smart guy who desperately wants to win. He will fully understand that he cannot make an enemy of Roethlisberger. Nor, however, can he make him a buddy.

He has to set up a coach-player relationship that will work. He can’t order Roethlisberger to tweak his game, but he can show him how subtle changes can make him a better quarterback and the Steelers a better team.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/31813-haley-bold-move-worth-the-risk

Count Steeler
02-07-2012, 05:54 AM
So, does anyone know if Ben "stormed" into Art's office and demanded an explaination of what the hell Art thinks he is doing? :chuckle:

Is Ben back from his honeymoon? Does anyone know if Ben had any input into this hiring?

Does anyone know who else was interviewed? Haley was interviewed last week and the report was that the Steelers weren't interested.

fansince'76
02-07-2012, 06:27 AM
arians lovers are going to take any chance they get to cut haley down. i think they'll give him one or two games before they start in.

Nope. That's much more the speed of all the armchair OCs who think they could do better when the team doesn't start scoring 50 points a game.

GoSlash27
02-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Is there any confirmation of this anywhere yet? We might be reacting to a false rumor.

fansince'76
02-07-2012, 06:58 AM
Is there any confirmation of this anywhere yet? We might be reacting to a false rumor.

Nothing official yet. It looks like it was first reported by a local news outlet in KC and everyone else in the sports media has pretty much run with it from there.

X-Terminator
02-07-2012, 07:18 AM
arians lovers are going to take any chance they get to cut haley down. i think they'll give him one or two games before they start in. then again, if he runs a grab-bag offense they might fall in love with him. :lol:

Take a look again at the people who aren't happy with this move, then re-think this post. Don't see too many "Arians lovers" in there.

zulater
02-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Whoever they hire, they need to do it soon, get the new system up and running, and get him working with Ben.

fansince'76
02-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Whoever they hire, they need to do it soon, get the new system up and running, and get him working with Ben.

Agreed. It does look like it will be Haley, but who knows? Peter King was reporting just a few days ago that the Steelers WOULDN'T be hiring him and that he was being interviewed out of courtesy. :noidea:

LLT
02-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Nothing official yet. It looks like it was first reported by a local news outlet in KC and everyone else in the sports media has pretty much run with it from there.

Seems to be a theme with Sports affiliates this year.

Chidi29
02-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Good post.

Saunders was suspended? Where was that?

https://twitter.com/#!/RavensInsider/statuses/166749522226200576

tube517
02-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Nobody compares to Kuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnn, the HOF'er. He is in his own category. :chuckle:

fansince'76
02-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Nobody compares to Kuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnn, the HOF'er. He is in his own category. :chuckle:

That goes without saying.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e339/NavajoScout/johnkuhnhof.png

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 08:42 AM

Unless he needs to block Clay Mathews on a run play in the Super Bowl...whoops...missed block fumble.

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 08:42 AM
That goes without saying.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e339/NavajoScout/johnkuhnhof.png

He does have One Ring now doesn't he?

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Nope. That's much more the speed of all the armchair OCs who think they could do better when the team doesn't start scoring 50 points a game.

Can we stop with the BS like this already? I mean, I am one of those Arians bashers that I suppose you are calling an ArmChair OC and NEVER have I called for 50 points a game...

I want 60 :)

edit: the 60 is Sarcasm before someone actually thinks I was being serious about that I wanted to put in this disclaimer.

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Yes, it was his presence alone that led to 3 passing TDs and a SB MVP award for Rodgers.

Well it was -3 in turnovers that helped with that as well, but Kuhn was there...willing things to happen. (again...humor)

fansince'76
02-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Well it was -3 in turnovers that helped with that as well, but Kuhn was there...willing things to happen. (again...humor)

suitanim
02-07-2012, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure what to make of this if it's true. On one hand, he has a history of winging the ball around with the Cardinals. He had some nice success there, but, bear in mind, he passed the ball almost 70/30 when he had that success.

With KC last year, they were about 50/50, BUT they scored a lousy 13.2 per game and their rushing game averaged a pretty anemic 3.9 per carry. They were 31st in scoring, and 27th in yards-per-game. They don't do a very good job converting 3rd downs, but, surprisingly, they are pretty efficient in the red zone, which really doesn't matter if you don't actually get to the redzone much.

Which dude will we get?

I think we will see problems from the usual suspects about this guy almost immediately. The demands are just too high. We need to pass the ball enough to utilize all the weapons, but run enough so that we are "balanced" (even though we already are). We have to rack up lots of yards AND score lots of points AND be efficient in the redzone (although obviously being efficient in the RZ isn't all that important if you never get there, like KC didn't last year). He can't be "predictable" but he's also not allowed to be "grab-bag" (which is just parlance for random, which is the opposite of predictable, so, essentially he's not allowed to be either according to some), and, finally, none of this will matter unless we are top 5 in scoring, and even then we still need to be solid on defense and ST because we've already seen that even the offensive coordinator is not above being blamed for those team deficiencies. In a word, this dudes position is IMPOSSIBLE.

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 08:51 AM
I think we will see problems from the usual suspects about this guy almost immediately. The demands are just too high. We need to pass the ball enough to utilize all the weapons, but run enough so that we are "balanced" (even though we already are). We have to rack up lots of yards AND score lots of points AND be efficient in the redzone (although obviously being efficient in the RZ isn't all that important if you never get there, like KC didn't last year). He can't be "predictable" but he's also not allowed to be "grab-bag" (which is just parlance for random, which is the opposite of predictable, so, essentially he's not allowed to be either according to some), and, finally, none of this will matter unless we are top 5 in scoring, and even then we still need to be solid on defense and ST because we've already seen that even the offensive coordinator is not above being blamed for those team deficiencies. In a word, this dudes position is STANDARD.

Yep, that about sums it up! And I fixed it for you :)

Sorry, couldn't resist buddy. I'm feeling mischeivous today.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Unless he needs to block Clay Mathews on a run play in the Super Bowl...whoops...missed block fumble.

Or he needs to block Haloti Ngata on a run play in the first game of this season and .....whoops.....missed block fumble.

suitanim
02-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Yep, that about sums it up! And I fixed it for you :)

Sorry, couldn't resist buddy. I'm feeling mischeivous today.

STANDARD for Steelers fans. No other teams fans in the NFL blame the players lack of execution, plus the defense and special teams performance on the offensive coordinator.

I mean, this IS the fanbase where a decent percentage of people actually BELIEVED that Ben was calling plays that worked and Arians called the plays that didn't. This board also originated the cognitive dissonance that Arians is both completely predicatable AND completely random. That takes a special kind of ignorance...

86WARD
02-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Can't be too critical and we'll see what he does, but I'm not thrilled. He's too much of a hot head. Players either respond really well or really poorly and I don't like rolling that dice. The team is on course to reach its potential, no need to make a "risky" move like this. And Tomlin likes to let his guys coach and knows how hot Haley can get so I doubt he'll intervene too much.

I would have preferred Fichtner but best of luck to Haley.

He gets a bad rap about being a hot head. Ask Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. Both were interviewed Super Bowl week about the idea of him returning to the Cards. Both thought it would workout well and Fitzgerald, being with the Cards said he loved the idea. They both like him. Every coach has his squabbles with players here and there. Through out the league, its well known that he has a great grasp on how to motivate players in different ways.

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 09:25 AM
STANDARD for Steelers fans. No other teams fans in the NFL blame the players lack of execution, plus the defense and special teams performance on the offensive coordinator.

I mean, this IS the fanbase where a decent percentage of people actually BELIEVED that Ben was calling plays that worked and Arians called the plays that didn't. This board also originated the cognitive dissonance that Arians is both completely predicatable AND completely random. That takes a special kind of ignorance...

Me putting in "Standard" was the joke there. And I'm not sure Cognitive Dissonance means what you think it means.

suitanim
02-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Me putting in "Standard" was the joke there. And I'm not sure Cognitive Dissonance means what you think it means.

(Sigh) It means holding two conflicting thoughts in your head at the same time. Like thinking the OC randomly selects plays out of a "grab-bag" while also holding the conflicting thought that the OC is too predictable.

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 09:51 AM
(Sigh) It means holding two conflicting thoughts in your head at the same time. Like thinking the OC randomly selects plays out of a "grab-bag" while also holding the conflicting thought that the OC is too predictable.

I don't think that's accurate.

Texasteel
02-07-2012, 10:00 AM

I know what Cognitive Dissonance is. I take it when I have a gassy problem.

suitanim
02-07-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't think that's accurate.

Certainly not even remotely close to the first time you'd be wrong:

cognitive dissonance

noun Psychology . anxiety that results from simultaneously holding contradictory or otherwise incompatible attitudes, beliefs, or the like, as when one likes a person but disapproves strongly of one of his or her habits.

suitanim
02-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Of course, in some cases, there doesn't seem to be any discomfort or anxiety at all. Those people may just be insane...

SteelerEmpire
02-07-2012, 10:03 AM

So is that good or bad ? lol...

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Certainly not even remotely close to the first time you'd be wrong:

cognitive dissonance

noun Psychology . anxiety that results from simultaneously holding contradictory or otherwise incompatible attitudes, beliefs, or the like, as when one likes a person but disapproves strongly of one of his or her habits.

You didn't use it correctly:

"This board also originated the cognitive dissonance that Arians is both completely predicatable AND completely random."

"It means holding two conflicting thoughts in your head at the same time."

suitanim
02-07-2012, 10:14 AM
You didn't use it correctly:

"This board also originated the cognitive dissonance that Arians is both completely predicatable AND completely random."

"It means holding two conflicting thoughts in your head at the same time."

Yes. The conflicting thoughts are:
A) Arians randomly calls plays, as if out of a "grab-bag", and, B, the opposite...
B) Arians is very predictable, meaning there is nothing random or unknown about his playcalling, the opposite of being "grab-bag"

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes. The conflicting thoughts are:
A) Arians randomly calls plays, as if out of a "grab-bag", and, B, the opposite...
B) Arians is very predictable, meaning there is nothing random or unknown about his playcalling, the opposite of being "grab-bag"

Like I said, you aren't using the term correctly.

suitanim
02-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Cognitive dissonance: A team that passes almost 600 times and runs it about 400, and is DEAD LAST in yards per carry is a "run-first" team.

Another shining example.

steeldevil
02-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Score points and win games.

suitanim
02-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Cognitive dissonance: A QB who is inaccurate and fails to hit wide open receivers is not at fault. His offensive coordinator is.

suitanim
02-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Cognitive dissonance: A team that is 60/40 pass/run is somehow MORE balanced than a team that is 55/45 pass/run

LLT
02-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Steelers expected to name Haley as offensive coordinator
Tuesday, February 07, 2012
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Kansas City Chiefs coach Todd Haley is at the Steelers offices today and is expected to be announced as their new offensive coordinator, replacing Bruce Arians.

Haley, an Upper St. Clair native and the son of the Steelers' former personnel director, would become the first offensive coordinator in 13 years to be hired from outside the organization

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12038/1208661-100.stm#ixzz1liLgQk5L

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Cognitive dissonance: A team that passes almost 600 times and runs it about 400, and is DEAD LAST in yards per carry is a "run-first" team.

Another shining example.

No because I don't have any Anxiety associated with saying the Giants are a team that Philosophically wants to set up the pass with the running game. Do you understand the definition of your "I'm so smart" term yet or do I need to point out more of your personal failings?

suitanim
02-07-2012, 10:32 AM
I wish him the best.

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Steelers expected to name Haley as offensive coordinator
Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Former Kansas City Chiefs coach Todd Haley is at the Steelers offices today and is expected to be announced as their new offensive coordinator, replacing Bruce Arians.

Haley, an Upper St. Clair native and the son of the Steelers' former personnel director, would become the first offensive coordinator in 13 years to be hired from outside the organization

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12038/1208661-100.stm#ixzz1liLgQk5L

I hope he does great and I hope he gets a Super Bowl Ring while our OC.

suitanim
02-07-2012, 10:34 AM
No because I don't have any Anxiety associated with saying the Giants are a team that Philosophically wants to set up the pass with the running game. Do you understand the definition of your "I'm so smart" term yet or do I need to point out more of your personal failings?

Please, by all means, make this as personal as you need to....do whatever you need to do to divert attention away from your being wrong. I'm sure that personal attacks and ad homs are coming next...

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Please, by all means, make this as personal as you need to....do whatever you need to do to divert attention away from your being wrong. I'm sure that personal attacks and ad homs are coming next...

I'm right, that's why you are so angry. Keep on cussing or were you finally warned about that?

LLT
02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Since this has been an ongoing war....This is the only warning that Im giving on this guys......knock it off.

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 10:51 AM
I was worried about Todd Haley meshing in the locker room cause he appears to be a Hot Head. I don't really know how he'd work with Ben, or with the other players on offense like Wallace and Brown and even Ward (if he's still on the roster).

Clearly it appears that they wanted someone from the outside to shake things up. At least they have a full off season to work on the offense.

X-Terminator
02-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Like I said, if Haley gets out of line, have him see Mr. Harrison for a little "attitude adjustment." Problem solved.

:heh:

LLT
02-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Like I said, if Haley gets out of line, have him see Mr. Harrison for a little "attitude adjustment." Problem solved.

:heh:

LOL...I have no doubt that Haley will know where the boundaries are VERY quickly. It will only take about 15 minutes for the hot headed attitude of Haley to be checked by the cool... quiet... angry glare of Tomlin.

polamalubeast
02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
The cards with Haley as OC

2007:404 points
2008:427 points and a improbable SB apparence

Chidi29
02-07-2012, 11:46 AM

You're willingness to look at one play to draw a conclusion is a dangerous thing.

steelerdude15
02-07-2012, 11:49 AM
The cards with Haley as OC

2007:404 points
2008:427 points and a improbable SB apparence

It would be nice to see more points. That's one hundred and two points more than we scored this year, but the Chiefs were second to last this past year with two hundred and twelve points.

Chidi29
02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
I am having real trouble decoding your true meaning.

I would love to hear you perspective before I harshly jump all over the statement.

Uh oh, I better watch myself. :chuckle:

What I meant was that versatility is key in the NFL today, especially if you're a "lesser" player. It's not about just being able to do one thing well and being tabbed as the "X" guy (3rd down back, red zone back, left guard, blocking TE, thumping LB, etc). The more hats you wear, the more valuable your helmet becomes.

O'Malley
02-07-2012, 11:57 AM
A monkey could run our offense... I'm sure Haley is the man for the job.. IMO he's probably a better OC the HC.. With Pittsburgh ties... I for one am going to give him a chance.. Just hope he pans out big..

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 12:06 PM
It would be nice to see more points. That's one hundred and two points more than we scored this year, but the Chiefs were second to last this past year with two hundred and twelve points.

They also had Palko start a few games, and even though I love the guy from his days at Pitt...he is no Kirt Warner or Big Ben...heck I might consider a QB on the Chiefs roster as a backup, maybe third stringer...but they aren't very good

steelerdude15
02-07-2012, 12:08 PM
They also had Palko start a few games, and even though I love the guy from his days at Pitt...he is no Kirt Warner or Big Ben...heck I might consider a QB on the Chiefs roster as a backup, maybe third stringer...but they aren't very good

That is true. I didn't even think of that when I looked up the points.

O'Malley
02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
That is true. I didn't even think of that when I looked up the points.

The Chiefs were hit harder then the Steelers this year in the injury department... They still beat the Broncos(without Haley).. I'm just hoping for the best.

X-Terminator
02-07-2012, 12:32 PM
They also lost their best player on offense, Jammal Charles, early in the season and that really hurt their offense. When Cassel got hurt, their offense flatlined. Not that Cassel is any good, mind you. So Haley didn't have much to work with.

Anyway, so long as he keeps his "fire" under control, I will give him every opportunity to show improvement in the offense's output. He's not a "3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust" OC, and I'm just fine with that.

LLT
02-07-2012, 12:34 PM

And dont forget they played the whole season without TE Tony Moeaki who was a HUGE part of their offensive scheme.

O'Malley
02-07-2012, 12:35 PM
They also lost their best player on offense, Jammal Charles, early in the season and that really hurt their offense. When Cassel got hurt, their offense flatlined. Not that Cassel is any good, mind you. So Haley didn't have much to work with.

Anyway, so long as he keeps his "fire" under control, I will give him every opportunity to show improvement in the offense's output. He's not a "3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust" OC, and I'm just fine with that.

I never thought Rooney wanted 3 yards and a cloud of dust back.. I think Rooney wanted a balanced attack that makes sense, and an OC that would stick with what is working and be able to change it up if it's not working.. I don't think saying he wanted the old style offense back meant 3 yards and a cloud of dust.. Just effective running and balance.. JMO.

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 12:51 PM
And dont forget they played the whole season without TE Tony Moeaki who was a HUGE part of their offensive scheme.

yep, when he was first fired in KC I questioned the decision but figured it was do to his hellfire attitude, but as a coach, he wasn't awful. the Cheifs were crushed by injuries all year, every time they seemed to make some progress, another guy got hurt.

fansince'76
02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
It's official:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have named Todd Haley as their new offensive coordinator, it was announced today.

“I am excited about the opportunity to come back home and work for a tremendous organization,” Haley said. “It is an honor to work with the Rooney family and Coach Tomlin and continue the success that has become synonymous with the Steelers. My father has so many fond memories both from his playing days and his time in the personnel department with the team, and I look forward to helping bring more championships to Pittsburgh and to being a part of one of the storied franchises in the NFL.”

Read more: Todd Haley Named Offensive Coordinator (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Todd-Haley-Named-Offensive-Coordinator/f918a844-0ee2-4ecb-a4ad-78084d8497e3)

polamalubeast
02-07-2012, 01:14 PM
very happy!

fansince'76
02-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Welcome to the Steelers, Coach Haley! :drink:

polamalubeast
02-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Haley on the hot seat now?

O'Malley
02-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the Steelers, Coach Haley! :drink:

:tt03:

st33lersguy
02-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Good, a legitimate upgrade

XxKnightxX
02-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Todd Haley?!! WOW!!!

Dang, I am already so excited, or nervous. Which one is it?

I don't know yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/philip-rivers-confused.jpg

Count Steeler
02-07-2012, 02:09 PM
I wonder how much this will affect the draft. Will he want a full time FB?

Welcome aboard Mr. Haley. Wish you all the success.

Count Steeler
02-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Get the most out of the personnel we have.

My personal frustration was going away from the short dump passes when Ben was injured. The O Line was not good enough to have protection for 5-7 seconds. Play with the advantages you have.

tube517
02-07-2012, 03:07 PM
It's official:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have named Todd Haley as their new offensive coordinator, it was announced today.

“I am excited about the opportunity to come back home and work for a tremendous organization,” Haley said. “It is an honor to work with the Rooney family and Coach Tomlin and continue the success that has become synonymous with the Steelers. My father has so many fond memories both from his playing days and his time in the personnel department with the team, and I look forward to helping bring more championships to Pittsburgh and to being a part of one of the storied franchises in the NFL.”

Read more: Todd Haley Named Offensive Coordinator (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Todd-Haley-Named-Offensive-Coordinator/f918a844-0ee2-4ecb-a4ad-78084d8497e3)

Sharpening my pitchforks and my torch is ready

steelerdude15
02-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the Steelers. I just hope he can make a difference.

lilyoder6
02-07-2012, 03:21 PM
im very excited to have haley az our oc.. like the article said i think haley is a very smart and good coach and knows what he has and how to use them... just look at the stats that have been thrown around..

he did go get mcclain from balt last yr to be the lead bocker for charles. so i would lean towards he might want to get a true fb thru FA to compete with johnson..

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2012, 03:55 PM
You think he'll take Ike Taylor aside and tell him "we knew we had you the second you lined up on Fitz in the slot" ?

Just playing...its just weird taking on the coach of a team we beat in the SB not very long ago.

stillers4me
02-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Welcome to Pittsburgh, Coach Haley!!

Now get to work......

suitanim
02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
im very excited to have haley az our oc.. like the article said i think haley is a very smart and good coach and knows what he has and how to use them... just look at the stats that have been thrown around..

he did go get mcclain from balt last yr to be the lead bocker for charles. so i would lean towards he might want to get a true fb thru FA to compete with johnson..

Stats?

His stats are either horrible or WORSE than what people were already complaining about. He ran the ball 50% of the time last year, but the Chiefs only scored 13 points a game. They are bad at running the ball, bad at moving the ball, and horrible at scoring.

When Haley DID have solid stats, it was with the Cardinals and they threw that ball almost 20% MORE than we do now. So everyone clammoring for more balance (and you aren't going to get much better than our current 55/45), it's very possible being MORE balanced could see us DROP in offensive production, or, conversely, in order to BOOST our offensive production, we may actually pass more, which is part of what a butt ton of people were ready to crucify Arians for in the first place.

This feels like, at the very best, a lateral move. I hope to Christ it's not a downgrade.

stillers4me
02-07-2012, 04:32 PM
With all due respect to my gloom and doomer friends, I recall a certain Bengals coach that did not make a very good head coach but made a terrific defensive coordinator. And anybody comparing the Chiefs offense to the Steelers offense and thinks the results are going to be similar...well....

Can we let the name plate on his door get hung before we start forming the lynch mob...please?

ALLD
02-07-2012, 04:32 PM
1. BA should have been let go last season, but the Steelers were classy enough to let the contract expire.
2. However, we had to wait this past year with BA to wait for a legitimate OC, then so be it.
3. His job as Cards OC would have beat us in SB XLIII except for the Immaculate Interception and Holmes' tip toe catch.
4. A cardboard cutout of the Keebler elf would have been an upgrade for game planning.
5. Hiring a hometown guy will bring intangibles, no doubt.

7willBheaven
02-07-2012, 04:57 PM
With all due respect to my gloom and doomer friends, I recall a certain Bengals coach that did not make a very good head coach but made a terrific defensive coordinator. And any body comparing the Chiefs offense to the Steelers offense and thinks the results are going to be similar...well....

Can we let the name plate on his door get hung before we start forming ther lynch mob...please?

Exactly...the people complaining about him already are just stupid...lets give the guy a year or 2 and see what he can do with the Steelers O...then you can complain all ya want. Just pathetic how some people act.

Bluecoat96
02-07-2012, 05:12 PM
http://www.animenews.biz/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/sky-is-falling-small.jpg

Too soon for this? :lol:

O'Malley
02-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Stats?

His stats are either horrible or WORSE than what people were already complaining about. He ran the ball 50% of the time last year, but the Chiefs only scored 13 points a game. They are bad at running the ball, bad at moving the ball, and horrible at scoring.

When Haley DID have solid stats, it was with the Cardinals and they threw that ball almost 20% MORE than we do now. So everyone clammoring for more balance (and you aren't going to get much better than our current 55/45), it's very possible being MORE balanced could see us DROP in offensive production, or, conversely, in order to BOOST our offensive production, we may actually pass more, which is part of what a butt ton of people were ready to crucify Arians for in the first place.

This feels like, at the very best, a lateral move. I hope to Christ it's not a downgrade.

Downgrade? A hat with plays in it and a monkey picking them would have been an upgrade! Haley is a great OC and I have no doubt he will get the most out of the offesnse... He now has more weapons then he has ever had.. Arizona almost beat us in the Super Bowl when he was their OC..

SMR
02-07-2012, 05:53 PM
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/philip-rivers-confused.jpg

LOL, thanks for the pic. Hilarious!

Honestly, right now I am glad we got Haley. I think it will work out more for the better.

Butch
02-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Stats?

Not everyone who wanted B.A. out wants us to run more some of us just want a more sound game plan. I will never ever forget that B.A. went into leaveland against the worst rush defense, against a strong wind and decided we need to pass the ball...we not only lost the game we did not make the playoffs.

I don't care if we run or pass as long as we have a solid game plan and not over think it.

Count Steeler
02-07-2012, 05:58 PM
I just hope we get a solid stud for the O Line. If we could get a serious upgrade at OG, we would be well positioned to be an "elite" offense. Of course, assuming Mendy is able to perform, if not Redman and Dwyer will have to carry the load.

We shall see what personnel moves Haley would like to make.

O'Malley
02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
A ton of good O-Linemen prospects in this years draft!

Craic
02-07-2012, 06:07 PM
As long as he cares about winning more than a style of football - and doesn't intentionally antagonize Ben, our receivers, or our RB's, I'm fine with it. As I have said before, I've been interested in what another OC can do with our talent. It's just that I never thought most of the problem was Arians - though he did have some brutal tells in our plays. (Ward in motion towards the line - wait, it's going to be a run!)

That being said, I'm facinated both as a fan and as an observer to see what Haley can get out of this offense. Since we really only have a NT and a LB position to worry about on Defense (I know, cb's blah blah blah, but they aren't as bad as our O line), hopefully we can trade a couple draft picks and move up high enough to pick another lineman or two this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Since this has been an ongoing war....This is the only warning that Im giving on this guys......knock it off.
Is this in reference to me?? As I always seem to be the common denominator of an ongoing verbal war on this site.

I dont have to explain what a common denominator is do I??

SteelGhost
02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Welcome to the Nation Coach Haley, I hope you have success with the weapons at your disposal and help the team to reach another Lombardi :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Sharpening my pitchforks and my torch is ready

Sounds good. I have my myopic haters at the ready. When we go shotgun formation, empty backfield on 3rd and 2........then we spring into action!!!!

Texasteel
02-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Is this in reference to me?? As I always seem to be the common denominator of an ongoing verbal war on this site.

I dont have to explain what a common denominator is do I??

No,,,,,,,,,,, I drink that when I need fiber.

polamalubeast
02-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Under Haley, the 2008 Cardinals had three receivers eclipse the 1,000 yard plateau!

lilyoder6
02-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Stats?

did you see all the injuries that the cheifs had last yr on the off side of the ball?? i think the colts would feel the same way when a key player gets hurt shit goes down hill.. and he still had his team fight back into a possible leading the division even tho its a horrible division before more injuries.. but damn he cant make his team run.. they are horrible at it.. i guess when he has his team lead the league in rushing in 2010.. i guess it was an illusion.. my bad
TOTAL RUSHING YARDs 2,627 RUSHING (PLAYS-AVERAGE YARDS) 556-4.7 2010
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 1,929 RUSHING (PLAYS-AVERAGE YARDS) 438-4.4 2009

Shoes
02-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Welcome to Pittsburgh Coach Haley! Wishing him the best!!

salamander
02-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Welcome home, Coach Haley! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the weapons you have at your disposal now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-07-2012, 08:16 PM
No,,,,,,,,,,, I drink that when I need fiber. You are so psyllium. :rofl:

NCSteeler
02-08-2012, 02:45 AM
On a side note .. anyone that thought it would some how take the players years to absorb a new offense. My reading today tells me that Haley since his days with Whiz uses nearly identical terminology to what we had used under Arians.

Another thing you have to add to this is that Haley runs a version of the Steelers offense. The Steelers have not changed their offense since Ken Whisenhunt left. It has been tweaked but it is the same system. Haley was running Coach Whiz’s offense in Arizona and took it with him to Kansas City. He has his own plays and does his own thing but most of the terminology should be the same thing that Roethlisberger has been running his whole career.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/02/07/todd-haley-your-new-pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-coordinator/

BlacknGoldBabe
02-08-2012, 03:20 AM
Interesting

suitanim
02-08-2012, 05:32 AM
3.9 yards per rush 2011

Steelers (who were also riddled with injuries AND have the worst offensive line in the NFL?

Sounds good. I have my myopic haters at the ready. When we go shotgun formation, empty backfield on 3rd and 2........then we spring into action!!!!

Actually, my guess is it will occur the first time we line up on 3rd and 5 with 3 TE's and a FB and run up the gut and lose two yards while Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders watch from the sidelines.

polamalubeast
02-08-2012, 07:04 AM
2008 NFC title game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ghns37TLUY

polamalubeast
02-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Haley's portfolio loaded with candor, feistiness

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

If the Steelers wanted an offensive coordinator who will be tough on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, they found the right person in Todd Haley.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12039/1208717-66-0.stm?cmpid=MOSTEMAILEDBOX#ixzz1lohkkjfe

Steeldude
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
did you see all the injuries that the cheifs had last yr on the off side of the ball??

You can only use that if you are defending Arians

Steeldude
02-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Just watch. If Haley picks a QB sneak on 4th and 8 the lovers will claim it's a great play that failed because the players did not execute

fansince'76
02-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Just watch. If Haley picks a QB sneak on 4th and 8 the lovers will claim it's a great play that failed because the players did not execute

Will he be using the same Grab-bag as Arians? If so, he's already a failure...

X-Terminator
02-08-2012, 12:57 PM

Uh, no...that would be the fault of the guy calling the plays. Sorry, that's just a dumb statement.

Steeldude
02-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Uh, no...that would be the fault of the guy calling the plays. Sorry, that's just a dumb statement.

Not according to the lovers.

Steeldude
02-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Will he be using the same Grab-bag as Arians? If so, he's already a failure...

If he does he will be embraced by the lovers while the haters(realists) will express their disdain

Lambert_Loonie
02-08-2012, 02:39 PM
For what it's worth, I used Arizona's offensive playbook on Madden 10 with the Steelers on a regular basis. I ruined lives on XBox Live. :P

steeldevil
02-08-2012, 02:45 PM

I have never been on either side of this "argument" but.....

Exaggerate much???

lilyoder6
02-08-2012, 03:10 PM
3.9 yards per rush 2011

Steelers (who were also riddled with injuries AND have the worst offensive line in the NFL?

difference there is that we still had a threat of throwing the ball to loosen up the defense, to where the cheifs did not have that good of a threat.. i was nvr a fan of cassel but he only had bowe to rly throw the ball too

suitanim
02-08-2012, 03:59 PM

You called the statement dumb, NOT the stater.

There's a difference...