PDA

View Full Version : Kovacevic: The day defense died in the NFL

stillers4me
02-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Ahmad Bradshaw darted through a hole in the defensive line so immense, so inviting he could have strutted those half-dozen yards untouched into the end zone. And it should have been glorious. A go-ahead touchdown in the Super Bowl with a minute to go. The stuff of NFL Films from now until eternity.

Only he didn't want to.

He stutter-stepped as he neared the goal line.

Then screeched to a near-crawl.

Then precariously planted his right foot a millimeter shy of the chalk.

Then, finally, spun 180 degrees to try to buy an extra millisecond before tipping backward into the end zone.........

Read more: Kovacevic: The day defense died in the NFL - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_780192.html#ixzz1lbHK0lW6) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_780192.html#ixzz1lbHK0lW6

suitanim
02-06-2012, 05:42 AM
Yes, I must say that whole sequence was very disturbing. All part of Goodell's "New way".

suitanim
02-06-2012, 08:28 AM
I also don't think Bradshaw was trying to buy time. I think maybe Douchinsworth was right and they WERE going to take a knee at the one. I'd like to think that Bradshaw just couldn't bring himself to do it, to tank on the one, and that he HAD to do the right thing and score the TD, regardless of who told him to do what.

Then there is this from the article: "Moreover, it came on a stage in which the NFL's no-touch, pass-happy policy might have reached its pinnacle."

I'd amend that to: "Moreover, it came on a stage in which the NFL's no-touch, pass-happy policy might have reached its NADIR."

That was NOT a highpoint, it was a low....

ALLD
02-06-2012, 08:38 AM
It was the 'genius' bellicheat trying to get the ball back instead of trying to cause a turnover with a hit.

fansince'76
02-06-2012, 08:56 AM
The day defense died in the NFL

Bye bye, Miss American pie...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2012, 09:43 AM
It was a cheap thing to watch, but I was thinking once Nicks got the 1st down, that it might be the best strategic thing to do.

Its made me think of a college hoops team down by 8 in the final minute just repeatedly trying to foul the poorest free throw shooter. Pats trying to let them score, but Bradshaw recognizing and trying to fall at the 1 yard line to eat up clock.

crcsnail
02-06-2012, 01:03 PM
i agree a sad td to win a superbowl . i dont blame the running back either, get in and score. i wouldnt want the game resting on my kicker ,if it came down to it . we know wot could happen then . wide left!! oops ravens referance, soz, lol

GodfatherofSoul
02-06-2012, 01:41 PM
I think it's nuts to give up a TD just because you're afraid a QB is going to score in less than a minute. Of course, Colinsworth was going off on what a *huge* mistake it was. Too many bad things can happen on special teams to give up a TD for burnt time and a field goal.

XxKnightxX
02-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Like Carl Banks said to Bob Papa in the broadcast yesterday. "Why not? , Why not take the 7 instead of the 3?" You have to trust your defense. And I wouldnt be shocked if the Patriots would of blocked the FG attempt or if it was botched. Take the points. Trust your defense. I dont think its a low point, but its definitely an awkward moment where you try to choose what to do.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Like Carl Banks said to Bob Papa in the broadcast yesterday. "Why not? , Why not take the 7 instead of the 3?" You have to trust your defense. And I wouldnt be shocked if the Patriots would of blocked the FG attempt or if it was botched. Take the points. Trust your defense. I dont think its a low point, but its definitely an awkward moment where you try to choose what to do.

True, but I would have thought it was a great play if Bradshaw fell on the 1/2 yard line and they punched it in the next play. Experienced football fans may have liked that, but many of the masses of casual fans would have said WTF??

Count Steeler
02-06-2012, 03:54 PM
A lead on the field is better than the possibility of a lead in 50 seconds.

Another idiotic play by Bellicheat to let them score. Absolute no trust in his defense. He is friggin arrogant to think that Brady was going to get a TD just by getting the ball with 50 seconds left on the clock. I'm SO glad the Giants won.

XxKnightxX
02-06-2012, 04:45 PM
A lead on the field is better than the possibility of a lead in 50 seconds.

Another idiotic play by Bellicheat to let them score. Absolute no trust in his defense. He is friggin arrogant to think that Brady was going to get a TD just by getting the ball with 50 seconds left on the clock. I'm SO glad the Giants won.

Holmgren did the same with his Defense against the Broncos. Its an offensive game and having more points than the other teams is what wins. You wont score any points hoping they dont make a FG and by having them drain the clock. Let em Score, and have your best player on the team try to win it for you. Nothing wrong with that. Im sure Tomlin would of done the same. Same issue with the Fitz TD on SB 43. "IF you score, thats how you want them to score. FAST"

Godfather
02-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Another problem Bradshaw had is he didn't know for sure that New England would use the French defense. Maybe they'd attack him and try to take the ball. Maybe they'd try to throw him for a loss and make the FG a little harder. So he has running through open space with a full head of steam and had to try to stop on a dime.

BlastFurnace
02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
When you have the chance to go ahead, IMO you take it.

Bradshaw did the right thing.

SMR
02-06-2012, 07:27 PM
When you have the chance to go ahead, IMO you take it.

Bradshaw did the right thing.

I agree.

Kittyfish
02-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Maybe it would have been strategically smarter to stop short of the goal line and run out the clock - I can see the logic in that. I can also understand being pretty sure the offense was going to score and wanting the ball back with as much time left on the clock as possible, and just letting that TD sail through unopposed. Hindsight is always 20/20, of course, but I am glad it worked out the way it did. If the Giants had run out the clock and won with a field goal, there would always be those who would say, "Oh, you know Brady would have won if only he had gotten his hands on the ball one more time - the Giants were cowards to run out the clock and kick that FG at the end and deny Brady his chance." I like knowing Brady had every opportunity in the world to make that final game-winning drive and failed, for whatever reason. I guess people can say that Brady would have won if his receivers had caught their passes but no one can say the Giants played scared in the end.

BigNastyDefense
02-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Stopping at the 1/2 hard line and letting the clock run down, then punching it in from there for the TD (or at least kicking a FG and winning the game) I would have had no problem with. It's great strategy. And Bradshaw tried to, but his momentum took him into the endzone.

Also, if Gronk was 100%, I think he catches that Hail Mary pass and the Pats win it all. So the plan to just let him run into the endzone and leave more time on the clock ALMOST worked.

Hindsight is 20/20. Today it looks like a horrible decision to just let them score. But if Gronk catches that, then the Giants look like idiots for scoring & Bellichick looks like a genius for letting them score the TD.

It's not the day defense died. Football is a chess game of sorts, and that was just a part of the chess game.

oneforthetoe
02-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Bye bye, Miss American pie...

Took my Chevy to the Levy ....

suitanim
02-07-2012, 08:27 AM
I disagree that it would have been smart to take a knee at the one. ANYTHING can happen, and you never take a sure 6 off the board. Never. I still like to think that Bradshaw was told to tank it, and his instinct took over and he just couldn't will himself to do the wrong thing. And two wrongs would not make a right. It was wrong of Belidick to part the red sea and let them score, and it would have compounded the error to have a RB fall down too extend the drive by one or two plays.

IF he'd have taken a dive, and fumbled on the next play, people would be claiming that Belichick was a fucking genius and the Giants fans would be stringing Bradshaw up from the nearest pole. Every pundit in America would have claimed that taking a knee was the worst idea in the history of football.

And we know this because of clear empirical data from this very board. Almost everyone sees through 20/20 hindsight and engages in revisionist history. The same poeple on here today claiming that he should have taken a dive would all be the very ones claiming (if something went wrong) that he should NEVER have taken a knee, after the fact of course.

tube517
02-07-2012, 08:56 AM
IF he'd have taken a dive, and fumbled on the next play, people would be claiming that Belichick was a fucking genius and the Giants fans would be stringing Bradshaw up from the nearest pole. Every pundit in America would have claimed that taking a knee was the worst idea in the history of football.

I had visions of Jerome Bettis in the playoff game vs Indy flashing through my head as Bradshaw was kneeling down.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Coughlin said in a post game interview on NFL Network that they thought the Pats might let them score, but never discussed with Bradshaw about laying down.

Looks like he thought about it, but his momentum kept him moving in for the TD. In 3 weeks, nobody is gonna remember that as much as the Manningham TD and Welker drop/Brady poor throw. (Gisele Bundchen is already helping with that)

suitanim
02-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Eli said himself that he yelled for Bradshaw to fall down.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Eli said himself that he yelled for Bradshaw to fall down.
Interesting, was that during the play or maybe in the huddle?? I just heard Coughlin say he didnt discuss falling down with Bradshaw.

I find it interesting gamesmanship and strategy, but I am sure the marketers at the NFL office were thinking it might be a bit of a black eye as its not the classic way to win/lose a game.

Count Steeler
02-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Holmgren did the same with his Defense against the Broncos. Its an offensive game and having more points than the other teams is what wins. You wont score any points hoping they dont make a FG and by having them drain the clock. Let em Score, and have your best player on the team try to win it for you. Nothing wrong with that. Im sure Tomlin would of done the same. Same issue with the Fitz TD on SB 43. "IF you score, thats how you want them to score. FAST"

Don't forget then, that we scored too fast as well. But our defense came through when we needed them. Woodley with the strip sack to virtually end the game.

I don't think any coach with the slightest bit of confidence in his defense would have parted the Red Sea like that. Don't call genius that which is pure desperation.

Craic
02-07-2012, 07:14 PM
I seem to remember a big debate about whether Troy P. allowed Fitzgerald to score in the SB to give Ben enough time to March down the field. Personally, I believe this falls into the strategy game and have no problem with it. It falls under the same heading as taking a safety to gain more space to kick the ball, or calling for a fair catch with zero seconds left at the end of the game to give your kicker a chance to boom a 60 yard field goal with the extended down that is awarded.