PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Greene OK with idea of 'new' offensive plan

Galax Steeler
02-04-2012, 03:56 AM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Count Joe Greene among those happy to see the Steelers move to change their approach on offense.

"If it doesn't feel good, you have to change it and, basically, it wasn't feeling good," Greene said Friday. "It wasn't feeling good in '09, and it wasn't feeling good in 2011."

Greene, a Hall of Fame defensive tackle chosen the most important player in Steelers history, spent time promoting a new commercial for Procter & Gamble that is a takeoff on his famous Coke commercial 32 years ago which won a Clio.

Greene, a special assistant in the Steelers personnel department since '04, said watching the offense last season was difficult for him.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12035/1208112-66.stm#ixzz1lPCobmqv

Steeldude
02-04-2012, 04:17 AM
What does he know anyway? He's just another arm chair coach. :wink02:

Count Steeler
02-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Hater! Uh, who said that? It was that guy over there. Uh, sorry Mr Green.

ALLD
02-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Only BB and a few fans on this forum wanted to keep BA. He can continue to go unnoticed screwing around on the Colts for a couple of seasons like George Costanza at Play Now, but his days as an OC are numbered.

slippy
02-04-2012, 07:45 AM
wow! joe greene telling it like it is!!! all true, simple, and to the point; no punches pulled, arians firmly under the bus.

sounds like this is ARII's public statement, as told through mean joe. politically perfect.

suitanim
02-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Are there any OFFENSIVE players who are going to comment.

Besides, it's not like anyone is going to come out and openly criticize the organization anyway...it's bad PR.

XxKnightxX
02-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Wow Mean Joe just went OFF on Arians. He doesnt give a shit, hes literally the only steeler with all of the 6 rings.

SteelerEmpire
02-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Straight forward, powerful and smart. Another reminder of that 70's Steelers team.

X-Terminator
02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I wonder how Mean Joe would have felt about the Giants attempting 65 passes against the 49ers?

I respect Mean Joe tremendously, but I just have this feeling from him and everyone else that they want to go back to a predominantly run-oriented offense and keep Ben and the receivers in chains, so to speak. If they go that route, again, they may as well trade Ben, Wallace, Brown and Sanders and hire a bunch of scrubs, because their talents will be wasted under that kind of system.

stillers4me
02-04-2012, 12:45 PM
How about a balanced system that's better than everybody else's "pass oriented offense"?

I sincerely doubt they want to waste Ben and the talent on the receiving corp.

Stop wanting to copy everybody else, be the one that everyone else wants to copy. Think outside of the box.

Shoes
02-04-2012, 12:50 PM
How about a balanced system that's better than everybody else's "pass oriented offense"?

Stop wanting to copy everybody else, be the one that everyone else wants to copy. Think outside of the box.

We have a winner!!!!

NCSteeler
02-04-2012, 01:03 PM

Sounds like the saints this season. Sounds A lot like our 2005 playoff run.

X-Terminator
02-04-2012, 01:03 PM

Well, I'm not exactly confident of that given what I've heard. Sorry. The vibe I'm getting won't change until I see or hear otherwise. I want the New Orleans Saints offense (which is pass-first, let's not kid ourselves), not the "Bill Cowher Offense."

zulater
02-04-2012, 01:10 PM
"
When New England played the [Baltimore] Ravens [in the AFC championship game], had they continued trying to throw the football, they would have lost it. They decided they had to run it, but they couldn't line up and show you they were going to run it, they had to look like they were going to throw the pass, and that's when they ran the ball on them. And that allowed them to score a couple touchdowns.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12035/1208112-66.stm#ixzz1lRQhraWz

If I'm not mistaken what i get from this is a complaint similar to my own. That being, the Steelers way too often these past few years tip their hand to the play call by personell groupings and formation. We get inside the 10 and line up in a two tight end set with a full back we run 95% of the time, or so it seems. Really when I rewatch games I haven't seen for months, based on down and distance, field position, and who's in the huddle I can tell you run or pass with 75% accuracy.

Count Steeler
02-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I have 2 wishes. A training regime that can keep our guys healthier.

An O Line that can pass block and run block. We have the QB, we have the WRs, we have the TE(s), we have the RB(s).

IF we can stay healthy and the O Line does its job, we can have a powerful offense. Any OC can't deny the passing game, especially with the tools we already have in place.

Burghfan58
02-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't argue with Joe even if I disagreed with him. But I don't.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-04-2012, 02:28 PM
You do what you have to do when you have to do it -- run it when you need to, throw it when you need to. It's not all one way. I think that's what we didn't get."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12035/1208112-66-2.stm#ixzz1lRlZK5cz

Myopic hater. Flat earth society member. Uneducated armchair football fan. Somebody tell Mr Greene about chess please. He is advocating 3 yards and a cloud of mediocrity.

stillers4me
02-04-2012, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't argue with Joe even if I disagreed with him. But I don't.

This.

And I'm still in amazement that the great and legendary Mean Joe Green and little, insignificant me have even one single, solitary football opinion in common. :lol:

tube517
02-04-2012, 03:19 PM
You do what you have to do when you have to do it -- run it when you need to, throw it when you need to. It's not all one way. I think that's what we didn't get."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12035/1208112-66-2.stm#ixzz1lRlZK5cz

Myopic hater. Flat earth society member. Uneducated armchair football fan. Somebody tell Mr Greene about chess please. He is advocating 3 yards and a cloud of mediocrity.

:rofl2:

GBMelBlount
02-04-2012, 03:26 PM
I have 2 wishes.

A training regime that can keep our guys healthier.

An O Line that can pass block and run block. We have the QB, we have the WRs, we have the TE(s), we have the RB(s).

IF we can stay healthy and the O Line does its job, we can have a powerful offense. Any OC can't deny the passing game, especially with the tools we already have in place.

Completely agree with both of these.

...and I might add a coaching staff that has intelligence to know when an injured player should be rested.

suitanim
02-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Our pass/run ratio was 55/45.

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Too bad all of the "haters" are wrong and only those that now think the Front Office made a mistake by letting Bruce go are correct...we are so dumb and uneducated, and apparently Greene is now in the same camp as all the NBBFers....

salamander
02-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Here's an idea...fix the o-line.

Butch
02-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I wonder how Mean Joe would have felt about the Giants attempting 65 passes against the 49ers?

I respect Mean Joe tremendously, but I just have this feeling from him and everyone else that they want to go back to a predominantly run-oriented offense and keep Ben and the receivers in chains, so to speak. If they go that route, again, they may as well trade Ben, Wallace, Brown and Sanders and hire a bunch of scrubs, because their talents will be wasted under that kind of system.

I know it's already been stated but just because we get a new OC doesn't mean we are abandoning the pass. It means we are simply looking for a change.

I agree with Joe that the offense didn't click to often this year. Ben didn't have the magic touch that he has had in the past as he did in 08. Even back in 08 the offense had to come from behind in a lot of their games. I remember many games that year where the D gave the O the ball and they would not be able to do anything with it (cowboys game). Ben's ability to connect with his receivers was crucial and it clicked when it had to.

I'm also not saying the next one does better or not, but I'm definitely ready for change and hope for the best.

suitanim
02-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Too bad all of the "haters" are wrong and only those that now think the Front Office made a mistake by letting Bruce go are correct...we are so dumb and uneducated, and apparently Greene is now in the same camp as all the NBBFers....

Well, he did seem to insinuate all we did was pass. We were actually more balanced than most teams in the NFL. Just sayin....

pepsyman1
02-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Our pass/run ratio was 55/45.

We were 21st in scoring....Let it go folks, Arians DIDN'T get the job done. If the offense doesn't score points, NOTHING ELSE they do matters.

I think Mean Joe is right, I think we have the personnel to EITHER run or pass effectively. Considering that the 1979 Steelers had the top offense in the NFL (Number 2 pass and Number 2 run) AND were the top scoring team and the 1978 team was ranked 5th in offense and scoring, I don't think that Mean Joe is adverse to doing ANYTHING that works. It's a matter of being able to execute both when needed and being able to put up points consistently.

suitanim
02-06-2012, 10:32 AM
We shall certainly see.

I still think we'll have needed up trading in a Cadillac for something lessor before this is all over.

Texasteel
02-06-2012, 01:13 PM
The offense didn't score more point. If that is because of BA is debateable, and everyone has their own oppinion, and I'm not going to drag that back up. How ever if anyone thinks that now that BA is gone all the problems are over I think they are mistaken.

No, we don't have everything in place to run the ball successfully. The interior of the OL, as it stands, is not a plus, infact it is a minus in a running game. We still have work to do in that area, and I hope, and I believe we will be working on that.

Who ever the new OC is I will be hoping for the best, and expecting another trip to the SB.

SteelGhost
02-06-2012, 02:39 PM
The offense didn't score more point. If that is because of BA is debateable, and everyone has their own oppinion, and I'm not going to drag that back up. How ever if anyone thinks that now that BA is gone all the problems are over I think they are mistaken.

No, we don't have everything in place to run the ball successfully. The interior of the OL, as it stands, is not a plus, infact it is a minus in a running game. We still have work to do in that area, and I hope, and I believe we will be working on that.

Who ever the new OC is I will be hoping for the best, and expecting another trip to the SB.

Yes Sir Texastell, well said :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2012, 03:32 PM

Honestly, we all know that Pouncey is a pro bowl talent(when healthy) and IMO, Foster is a powerful run blocker, but not as good of a pass protector. I believe that we are only 1 OG away from being a solid running team and better pass blocking team.

There is really no reason why an O line of Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert or Colon at RT and Heath Miller at TE.....cannot establish the run to the strong side.

Texasteel
02-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Never mind, screw this up again.

Texasteel
02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Honestly, we all know that Pouncey is a pro bowl talent(when healthy) and IMO, Foster is a powerful run blocker, but not as good of a pass protector. I believe that we are only 1 OG away from being a solid running team and better pass blocking team.

There is really no reason why an O line of Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert or Colon at RT and Heath Miller at TE.....cannot establish the run to the strong side.

Though I'm not a huge Foster fan, I can't argue with this. I think we will have that OG we both want in just a couple of months. I can't wait till next year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Though I'm not a huge Foster fan, I can't argue with this. I think we will have that OG we both want in just a couple of months. I can't wait till next year.

I would not count on us getting what we want. How many times have we been let down. Foster starts for Kemo and the Steelers rush 29times for 115 yards between our 2 RB's. The guy can run block, but has heavy feet for pass protection.

Honestly, I dont know if Gilbert is going to be our LT or not to start the season, but if he does, then Gilbert, Foster, Pouncey, Colon and Jon Scott are a good enough line to be successful I think. If we get a blue chip OT or OG, that will just improve the unit IMO.