PDA

View Full Version : Emmanuel Sanders Q&A

Prok
07-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Sorry for taking so long gang. We FINALLY got it done. Thank you Emmanuel (i know youre checking us out).

1. via SteelUniverse.net - Who do you compare yourself to, past or present as a wide receiver?

-- I don’t know about how close our games are but I hope I have a career like Chris Carter. I idolized the way he carried himself and handled his business. He was a true professional.

2. via PlanetSteelers.com - What is the primary difference you have noticed in catching balls from Ben Roethlisberger vs. Byron Leftwich (and even Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch for that matter)?

-- I see why Big Ben gets the big bucks. I never watched him before being drafted and practicing with him but I’ve never seen anything like it. He’s a beast! They both have rocket arms but Ben has a little more touch. Sometimes I gotta tell Byron to “chill out”.

3. via SteelUniverse.net - How different is the route tree in a pro style compared to the spread you had at SMU?

-- I had never ran a comeback in college. That’s the only real difference for me. The rest is just getting open. The routes aren’t too much different. Every team runs the same routes its just the combinations that are different.

4. via PlanetSteelers.com - What advice did June Jones give you to prepare for the NFL based on his experience as head coach of the Falcons in the mid 90's?

-- Coach Jones coached the whole team like it was an NFL team. The first meeting we ever had he said “I’m going to treat yall like you’re in the NFL so when you get there it won’t be such a shock.” What he did that really helped me was that he also had position coaches that played and/or coached in the league also. So I was getting lessons about the league from every coach.

5. via SteelUniverse.net - How do you see yourself fitting in the Steelers offense this upcoming season? How do you like your chances of being the #4 or even #3 WR?

-- I couldn’t ask for a better situation. It’s a wide open competition and that’s all I could ever ask for. I feel like when the competition heats up, I’m at my very best. I know what’s at stake and that’s why I lived in the weight and film room all summer.

6. via PlanetSteelers.com - What portions of the NFL WR route tree do you feel needs the most work to adjust from a "Run & Shoot" style offense in college to a "Pro Style" NFL offense?

-- I just have to get more familiar with the offense and the adjustments then its like playing in the backyard again. I’ve been watching Santonio tapes from the past few years and I really think its going to slow things down. I’ve been in many systems and the biggest part is knowing it 100% so I don’t have to think about anything but catching and scoring.

7. via SteelUniverse.net - What and/or who has impressed you the most so far?

-- Honestly, its something that happened off the field. We were playing basketball at Ben’s house and Ben hit like 15 straight 3-point shots. I said “dang, bro I didn’t know you had a shot like that.” He said “ I’mma an athlete bro - pure athlete”.

8. via PlanetSteelers.com - How much help are the vets to the rooks?

-- The vets have been extremely helpful. Charlie Batch and I have become really cool. Who know’s Pittsburgh and the offense better than Charlie? I’ve been like a sponge since I’ve gotten here.

9. via SteelUniverse.net - What intrigues you the most about the Steeler organization?

-- Everyone is a winner. I think I fit right in because everyone is on a mission. From the top of the organization to the bottom, everyone is in it to win it.

10. via PlanetSteelers.com - How comfortable are you as a returner and how well did you do in college? Better at kick-off returns or punt returns?

-- I’m very comfortable returning punts. I didn’t do much kick-off returns but I want to. I want to do it all haha punt, pass, kick, snap, hold, catch....

11. via SteelUniverse.net - Could ya go in depth about the moments after ya found out Steelers drafted you?

-- It was a blur. I was so pumped that I had to go outside because I thought I was about to tackle one of my cousins. I’ve always dreamed about how the moment would be and I was way off. But honestly, I was ready to play. All I could think about is the competition and what it’s going to take to get on the field.

12. via PlanetSteelers.com - What NFL WR do you think you're most like?

-- Steve Smith: Not the biggest but has the biggest heart on the field and won't back down from anything.

13. via SteelUniverse.net - What's youre early impression on the Steelers fanbase?

-- I’m still in awe. I started a facebook fanpage to get closer to the handful of fans that I had. Three weeks later I was chatting with Steeler fans in Mexico City, Brazil and Iraq. There’s no doubt who has the deepest fanbase in the league. Shout out to all my friends on the fan page.

14. via PlanetSteelers.com - What was his first impression of the city upon entering downtown via the Fort Pitt tunnel?

-- Pittsburgh is beautiful! I tell all my boys back home that it’s better than Dallas and they laugh. Man, I’m so blessed. Perfect situation on so many levels.

Part 2 coming soon...

Prok
07-08-2010, 12:40 PM
via PlanetSteelers.com - Who's the coolest Steelers player/coach you've met so far?

-- Everyone's been real cool but I've been kicking it with A. Brown. We are gonna do big things for many years.

via SteelUniverse.net - Who was your idol and fav teams growing up?

-- My idol was Deion "Primetime" Sanders. We share the same last name and I enjoyed everything about him. Greatest athlete of all time. Never really had a favorite team though. Once the Oilers left Houston that is.

via PlanetSteelers.com - Why did Bruce Arians get to pick your number when it seems that everyone else gets to pick their own?

-- I had #18 for a little but he said that he wanted recievers to have 80 #'s. 88 is starting to grow on me. I thought it was going to be too big but I love it now.

via SteelUniverse.net - What was the impact of your rookie mates not only seeing 6 Lombardis in Pgh, but also rich history in the HOF?

-- When we went to the HOF last month, I had never been so inspired in my life. Immediatly after we got home, I had my girlfriend reading off plays to me. Seeing those trophies and having the opprotunity to get a few and be in the HOF has boosted my drive. Anything less will be a failure.

via PlanetSteelers.com - Have you ever played in cold weather?

-- I think so but I'm sure it's nothing like the weather in Pitt. One fan told me on twitter though- As long as I catch passes and score, I'll be plenty warm.

via SteelUniverse.net - What does it mean to you to be a Steeler?

-- It means so much to make it to the NFL but to be a Steeler is a true blessing. The championships, the fans, the high standards: I couldn't ask for more.

via PlanetSteelers.com - Are you worried about big NFL corners? How will you beat them off the LOS?

-- Naw, I'm not worried. I'll watch so much film on them that I'll know everything about them before I step on the field. I just have to be patient and let him make the mistake. It's all about being patient.

via SteelUniverse.net - Are you aware that the Steelers fanbase is among largest in NFL?

-- It's crazy. On my facebook fanpage I've been chatting with Steeler fans in Brazil, Mexico City, Japan and Iraq. I love it. Makes me even more hungry knowing that I could have everyone on my side if I ball.

Hope you all enjoyed this as much as i have putting it together.

Indo
07-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks, Prok...
Sanders is truly a stand-up kinda guy. I am one of those people he's been chatting with on his Facebook page---He answers everyone who sends him a message.
He appears to have an impressive work ethic---constantly in the film room; hungry to learn everything that he can. I have a good feeling about him---I think he's gonna be a BIG contributor (if not this year, in the very near future...)

xX-TSK-Xx
07-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Great Prok. Thats awsome of Sanders to do a Q&A. Seems like a real cool dude. Pass along a thanks would you.

MasterOfPuppets
07-08-2010, 01:19 PM
good work prok...your like our very own babara walters...:thumbsup:

steeldevil
07-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Thank you for this Prok, much appreciated!

BlastFurnace
07-08-2010, 02:40 PM
That was really great Prok...thank you. We are all pulling for Sanders and for Brown. We need some young receiving depth on this team in the worst way.

solardave
07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks Prok. ES says he wants to be like Chris (voted #1 best hands ever)Carter. Tell him we'll take it. I'd love to see him come up quick and deadly. We'll need him sooner than later. Man let's play some ball already!!!:lust::high5:

The Duke
07-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Classy kid, can't wait to see him in the preseason

thanks for this Prok!

Soufjerzz
07-08-2010, 06:55 PM
This is awesome. I follow E Sanders on Twitter and he is just as cocky and confident on twitter as he is in the interview. I know it s early but I like we might not miss Sweed or Holmes too much lol

Prok
07-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks gang. I'm just sorry it took us so long to get it done. Just goes to show how busy players get even in their down time.
I also like that it generated some pub for this site as well. I'd heard quite a few ppl posted links to this q&a.

stillers4me
07-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks, Prok! Great questions, great answers........can't wait to see him on the big stage!

Chidi29
07-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Great job Prok. I wish Sanders all the luck in the world.

Austin87
07-09-2010, 03:23 AM
Good stuff Prok. Sanders seems like a real good guy. I just love his competitiveness!

He has the attitude to make it in the NFL.

Galax Steeler
07-11-2010, 06:39 AM
I just had a chance to read this thanks Prok. Sounds like the kid wants to play and win I like his attitude hopefully he will fit the Steelers mold.

ALLD
07-11-2010, 07:54 AM
if he is half of what Chris Carter was, then he will have the best hands in football. Sanders also has a WR style name, but I cannot believe he will wear #88.

Prok
07-11-2010, 03:15 PM
one thing that really stood out to me from the get go is how personable and intelligent this young man is. i'm fairly confident he'll be a pretty good player for us for quite some time. also highly impressed with is work ethic and willingness to learn as much as he can to improve. i'm thinkin' (hopeful) Wallace part 2.

Boomerang
07-11-2010, 05:48 PM
I am pretty hopeful that Sanders has the ability and attitude to be a valuable weapon for us.

ALLD
07-11-2010, 06:01 PM
If Sanders steps up maybe we can trade Sweed for some locker room towels and athlete's foot spray.

Psycho Ward 86
07-11-2010, 07:00 PM
If we get a Cris Carter out of this kid, i will fall out of my chair and never get up.

CanadianSteel
07-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Thnaks for posting.... Very nice read and loved his responses. Hopefully him or Brown can light up training camp like Wallace did last year......

Wallace108
07-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the effort you put into making this interview happen, Prok. Sanders seems like a great guy!!