PDA

View Full Version : The waiting game: Hines Ward puts ball in Steelers' court

Galax Steeler
02-03-2012, 04:32 AM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Hines Ward talked to Mike Tomlin on Monday at the Steelers facility on the South Side and to team president Art Rooney II earlier, letting them know he wants to play in 2012 in Pittsburgh.

"I just wanted to let them know I want to be here, I want to play," said Ward, who on Sunday will be part of NBC's five-hour Super Bowl pregame show. "I have two years on my contact. I know I have to restructure, but, under the circumstances, I think I can still play football."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12034/1207805-66.stm#ixzz1lJVM7vVq

ShutDown24
02-03-2012, 04:45 AM
At least he knows he has to take a salary cut. That should make it easier to bring him back if the team feels it's wise to do so from a personnel standpoint.

Count Steeler
02-03-2012, 05:09 AM
He can still be a contributing component on our team. I hope he sticks around.

zulater
02-03-2012, 05:14 AM
At least he knows he has to take a salary cut. That should make it easier to bring him back if the team feels it's wise to do so from a personnel standpoint.

Saying you'll restructure isn't the same as saying you're willing to take a pay cut. Restructuring means you're willing to move the money around to make it more cap friendly. It's not necessarily saying you'll take less money.

suitanim
02-03-2012, 05:15 AM
It's time.

It's been a Helluva run, but............................it's time.

zulater
02-03-2012, 05:21 AM
It's time.

It's been a Helluva run, but............................it's time.

You're probably right. And whether they can get Jerricho Cotchery to sign a new contract might play a role in it. I hate to say it, but in my opinion if Ward wants to come back he needs to earn his roster spot. In other words, if he's not one of your 4 best receivers at the end of camp he probably should be cut.

Iron Steeler
02-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Coach vs hines for the number 4 spot...

suitanim
02-03-2012, 09:27 AM
You're probably right. And whether they can get Jerricho Cotchery to sign a new contract might play a role in it. I hate to say it, but in my opinion if Ward wants to come back he needs to earn his roster spot. In other words, if he's not one of your 4 best receivers at the end of camp he probably should be cut.

I'm sorry, but at this point:
Wallace > Ward
Brown > Ward
Sanders > Ward
Cotchery > Ward

All are younger. All are cheaper, although Wallace might begin flirting with a Ward-like contract. All have more upside. Mostly I just don't want to see a Sugar Ray Leonard type situation where the old dude thinks he still has it but starts embarrassing himself.

lilyoder6
02-03-2012, 09:33 AM
it is nice to know he is willing to do something with his contract to stay around.. i guess with hines it will depend on who else gets cut and what not and how much is he willing to "move" around to stay.. he is def going to be the #4 or #5 wr.. but still be a good wr on running plays and leadership in the locker roo,

GBMelBlount
02-03-2012, 10:04 AM
In other words, if he's not one of your 4 best receivers at the end of camp he probably should be cut.

Exactly.

What am I hoping for?

Knowing Hines is the ULTIMATE competitor, I am hopeful that he reflects on what transpired this year and then redoubles his efforts this off season and comes back in the best shape of his life.

Maybe training in FL with Ike, et al, might help...

steelerdude15
02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Come on FO, lets not pull another Franco. Let him stay.

mortgageman
02-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I think the Cotchery is a free agent which means he more then likely will not be back bc he will want to get paid as a #2/3 WR and he would only be our #4. Hines can come back but only if he gets paid as a low end #3 or high end #4.

suitanim
02-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Come on FO, lets not pull another Franco. Let him stay.

And THAT is exactly what I'm afraid of. When Harris went to Seattle he was just a pale shadow of himself. Guys like Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, even a guy like Robert Smith all have the right idea. Hang 'em up when you're on top. Does anyone REALLY want to see Hines Ward CUT?

For every Joe Montana who goes to Kansas City, there are a bunch of OJ Simpsons who go to the 49ers.

O'Malley
02-03-2012, 12:35 PM
He should be able to finish his career as a Steeler.

suitanim
02-03-2012, 12:54 PM
He should be able to finish his career as a Steeler.
But, see, now we're back in a gray area again.

If the dude can't bring it, do we let him occupy a roster spot just because he wants it? Out of sentimentality for past performance? It's that kind of thinking that (briefly) made Chad Scott the highest paid Steeler in history.

Based on what I saw on the field, and the way we had to go about getting him his 12,000th catch, I'd say his skills have diminished past the point of expecting any kind of suitable return on investment for next year. Somebody needs to sit him down and explain that if he comes into camp and wants to try out, he may end up getting cut. That's on him, then. If I was him, I'd gracefully ride off into the sunset.

By the way, no one is stopping him from "being allowed to finish his career as a Steeler" but him.

fansince'76
02-03-2012, 12:57 PM
When Harris went to Seattle he was just a pale shadow of himself.

Yep, and he lasted in Seattle long enough for a cup of coffee before they cut him too. It was sad to see. Hines needs to retire. Now.

O'Malley
02-03-2012, 01:00 PM
But, see, now we're back in a gray area again.

If the dude can't bring it, do we let him occupy a roster spot just because he wants it? Out of sentimentality for past performance? It's that kind of thinking that (briefly) made Chad Scott the highest paid Steeler in history.

Based on what I saw on the field, and the way we had to go about getting him his 12,000th catch, I'd say his skills have diminished past the point of expecting any kind of suitable return on investment for next year. Somebody needs to sit him down and explain that if he comes into camp and wants to try out, he may end up getting cut. That's on him, then. If I was him, I'd gracefully ride off into the sunset.

By the way, no one is stopping him from "being allowed to finish his career as a Steeler" but him.

IMO he has another year in the tank.. One more year to mentor the young money receivers, one more year to be Bens' safety blanket... When you need a reception for a first down you look for Hines to find a way to get open and he does.. Not ready to write him off.. If he can make the squad and restructure his contract I say let him play... Even if he is the #5 receiver..

86WARD
02-03-2012, 01:27 PM
I think the Cotchery is a free agent which means he more then likely will not be back bc he will want to get paid as a #2/3 WR and he would only be our #4. Hines can come back but only if he gets paid as a low end #3 or high end #4.

That's not necessarily true. Cotchery said he loved his time with the Steelers and wants to return. I think he knows he's not a #2 receiver and it's not like he showed enough to warrant being a 2...or a 3 for that matter...

As for Ward. Would live to have him back. Would live it more than anything...whatever the money is. However, 4th receivers have to play special teams. He can't do that. He'd be taking up an extra roster spot basically standing on the sideline...ala Duce Staley...minus the sweats.

JayC
02-03-2012, 01:36 PM
let him stay!

ALLD
02-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Ward can stay for minimum and he would probably see 3 or 4 snaps per game barring any other injuries. He got old on the field before our eyes this season. He needs to recognize the signs before he gets permanently injured.

Moose
02-03-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm just glad to hear that he want's to stay in the 'burgh, and that he's willing to renegotiate his contract. That's definitely a step in the right direction and a step that the front office is wanting to hear. There is no doubt in my mind that Hines is still an asset to this team and is always willing to go in the game and do whatever it takes to score and win, and he is still willing to sacrifice his body in doing so. I hope Hines and the owners can get a deal inked soon !!

Count Steeler
02-03-2012, 06:48 PM
If we "wasted" a spot on Charlie Batch last year, we can "waste" a spot on Ward. Let's hope Hines renegotiates his contract and he gets to play some this year. Don't want him going out right on 1,000, especially with that last catch. His mentorship to the young receivers has been valuable.

zulater
02-03-2012, 07:02 PM
If we "wasted" a spot on Charlie Batch last year, we can "waste" a spot on Ward. Let's hope Hines renegotiates his contract and he gets to play some this year. Don't want him going out right on 1,000, especially with that last catch. His mentorship to the young receivers has been valuable.

How did we "waste" a spot on Batch? He did help the Steelers win a game.

86WARD
02-03-2012, 07:14 PM
I think with one more season he ties Mike Webster for the longest tenure with the Steelers...true? 15 years maybe?

Count Steeler
02-03-2012, 07:27 PM
How did we "waste" a spot on Batch? He did help the Steelers win a game.

Some around here have suggested as much. I don't totally agree, hence the quotation marks.

O'Malley
02-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Hines had ankle surgery still comitted to Steelers..

BlacknGoldBabe
02-05-2012, 04:44 AM
If he can still bring something to the table, then he ought to stay. He did indeed grow old on the field before our eyes this past season.

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Same kind of thing they let Bettis do, past his prime, could barely walk, only got touches near the goal line...oh and walked away from the game a Champion.

katmandu
02-05-2012, 07:54 PM
IMO he has another year in the tank.. One more year to mentor the young money receivers, one more year to be Bens' safety blanket... When you need a reception for a first down you look for Hines to find a way to get open and he does.. Not ready to write him off.. If he can make the squad and restructure his contract I say let him play... Even if he is the #5 receiver..x2.

Hines is by FAR the best "Over the Middle" receiver we have! No one else comes close IMHO.

Plus Hine's Leadership in the locker room should not be discounted.

However, Hine's needs to be willing to accept less $$ to come back next year.

Craic
02-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I say, why make a decision now? Go ahead and restructure, but remind him that he's going to have to earn a position at camp. Let him come to camp and if he isn't making the cut, sit down and have a heart to heart with him. Let him know that he's not going to make it and give him the option to retire.

I don't see why it has to be such drama. After all, the spot he's taking up at camp, is a spot reserved for camp fodder anyway. I'd rather have another coach that is actually still on the field, then another piece of camp fodder.

steelpride12
02-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Sigh. It's just one of those situations where yes we all love Ward, a HOF guy (IMO) who has done so much for this team and organizations and has a place in everyones heart, but It just might be time. All our starting recievers are just young, quicker, and overall better and only getting better. If they beat him out during camp Ward should be cut. It would hurt, but he did all he could for us and I'll never forget him.

GBMelBlount
02-05-2012, 09:33 PM
If they beat him out during camp Ward should be cut. .

You know, I don't think Hines would want it any differently either.

He has worked hard for everything he's ever earned.

I'm pulling for him...

steelpride12
02-05-2012, 09:35 PM
You know, I don't think Hines would want it any differently either.

I'm pulling for him...
As I am as well. I hope Ward comes out 100% at camp and makes the team. Nothing would make me happier!

suitanim
02-06-2012, 05:40 AM

Hines is by FAR the best "Over the Middle" receiver we HAD! No one else comes close IMHO.

Plus Hine's Leadership in the locker room should not be discounted.

Times have changed. I changed your post to reflect that. How many clutch over-the-middle catches did he have last year? I'd say Cotchery is probably a better fit now as a possession-type WR.

Steeldude
02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
If Ward wants this to happen then he needs to workout hard. He was slow and soft looking the past couple of seasons. He needs to trim down.