PDA

View Full Version : Gerry: Ben's opinion doesn't matter

polamalubeast
02-02-2012, 11:52 AM
I hope everyone is paying attention to how much input Ben Roethlisberger DOESN’T have in hiring an offensive coordinator. Nor will he.

While Roethlisberger spent last week at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, Mike Tomlin interviewed two candidates for the position – former Colts Coach Jim Caldwell and former Chiefs Coach Todd Haley, an Upper St. Clair native and the son of the Steelers’ former personnel director.

read more

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=114686

suitanim
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
OK, so which is it?

Ben has a HUGE role and literally kept Arians in his job when he was slated to (cough cough) be fired a couple seasons ago, or he doesn't.

zulater
02-02-2012, 12:09 PM
OK, so which is it?

Ben has a HUGE role and literally kept Arians in his job when he was slated to (cough cough) be fired a couple seasons ago, or he doesn't.

He did, but doesn't anymore would be my guess. In other words. Art II against his better judgement kept Arians on at the behest of his quarterback and head coach, gave it two years, still didn't like what he was seeing, so took action. Now that he's back to square one he's not going to involve Ben in the decision making process.

AKA. Been there, done that, aint taking that road again.

Or at least that's how I think it may have happened.

zulater
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I do think there's a difference between hiring a coach and the retention of one as to insinuating a player(s) opinion into the equation.

SMR
02-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I do think there's a difference between hiring a coach and the retention of one as to insinuating a player(s) opinion into the equation.

I'm seeing that as well. However, Tomlin must have had a hand in it too, he is the coach after all.

suitanim
02-02-2012, 03:53 PM
The Steelers knew EXACTLY what they had in Arians. They played against him when he was at Cleveland and had a below-average QB lighting up the scoreboard against the Steelers.

He was an assistant coach on the Steelers before they promoted him. They reached out to the guy for a reason, and they promoted him for a reason. They knew he was a passing guy. That's why they hired him. That's why they promoted him. To try and backpeddle and say that the QB (who apparently has no say one way or the other) SAVED this guys job strains credulity past it's breaking point.

It's called revisionist history.

O'Malley
02-02-2012, 04:25 PM
The Steelers knew EXACTLY what they had in Arians. They played against him when he was at Cleveland and had a below-average QB lighting up the scoreboard against the Steelers.

He was an assistant coach on the Steelers before they promoted him. They reached out to the guy for a reason, and they promoted him for a reason. They knew he was a passing guy. That's why they hired him. That's why they promoted him. To try and backpeddle and say that the QB (who apparently has no say one way or the other) SAVED this guys job strains credulity past it's breaking point.

Man Suit you really have to get over the fact Bruce is gone... Nothing you say will bring him back.. Time to move on.. Bruce didn't make this team what it is today.. Turn the page.. A new OC is coming to town and I hope he does a better job then Bruce did.. I am confident that Rooney knows what he is doing, he's only been around this franchise his whole life... I have a feeling he learned a thing or two from his grandfather and father.. I have complete faith the new OC will do a great job and bring this potientially potent offense to the next level.. Bruce obviously didn't do enough to keep his job and it's time for a fresh approach and a set of new eyes to take control of the offense... We all now know your feelings about Bruce.. He is in Indy... Not Pittsburgh... Time to move on.. He's gone..

ALLD
02-02-2012, 05:08 PM
It wasn't about the passing game so much that got BA fired, it was the structure of the O and lack of critical game planning. Even though we won 12 games, we were exposed by a mediocre Bronco team where one or two got burned on D, but only two carried the O. It was time for a change last season and BA had one more opportunity to show what he had, much like Whiz and Grimm. But Whiz was definitely a better OC and a pretty decent HC with that chip on his shoulder in SB XLIII.

zulater
02-02-2012, 05:08 PM

Isn't it true of just about every hire, that they knew them beforehand? And he did in fact get fired, even though they don't call it that. I don't think there was ever any buyers remorse with Bruce. I don't think A.R. II would say that Bruce did a bad job, or deny that he's helped make Ben into a better player.

But I think it's fairly obvious, that going back at least two years that there were some philosophical differences between the offense Bruce was running and the offense A.R. II envisions for this team. And I also believe there's thing's about Ben's game that A.R. II sees that troubles him that he believes Arains has had ample time to address, but having not done so by now, sees little chance that it will be done in the future by Bruce. Therefore we are where we are today.

Moose
02-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Out of respect to Ben, I think Mr. Rooney listens to him. But when decision time comes I think it will be the Rooney's choice and maybe some input from Coach Tomlin, Ben---not so much.

Devilsdancefloor
02-02-2012, 07:30 PM
to be honest ben should have no say in who they hire.

BnG_Hevn
02-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Out of respect to Ben, I think Mr. Rooney listens to him. But when decision time comes I think it will be the Rooney's choice and maybe some input from Coach Tomlin, Ben---not so much.

In the words of Jean Luc Picard "I'll listen to all your input but I'll make the decision".

SMR
02-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Exactly. Ben is a great quarterback, but not the Coach.

siss
02-03-2012, 08:06 PM
The thing is guys, we havn't heard Ben himself offer an opinion. He never said he wasn't unhappy with the Steelers for letting Bruce go. Its been guesses. And if you actually listened to the interview he gave he said he was going to talk to Mr. Rooney about what he wanted for him to do. Not offer an opinion about who should or should not be hired. I'm sure Ben would prefer someone in house, but its not up to him. And my guess is that if Ben is the guy I think he is, he will go along with the Steelers and what they want and play nice with the new OC. And if he doesn't, than he won't be a Steeler anymore.

Stlrs4Life
02-03-2012, 08:50 PM

Exactly, Ben needs to sack up and just be the QB. Ben has to big of an ego problem.

fansince'76
02-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Exactly, Ben needs to sack up and just be the QB. Ben has to big of an ego problem.

It's the media making a big deal about it, not Roethlisberger. But as usual, Ben catches shit for it from the fans.

Texasteel
02-04-2012, 03:26 AM
It's the media making a big deal about it, not Roethlisberger. But as usual, Ben catches shit for it from the fans.

Media handbook: When you don't have anything to write about, just keep typing, something will happen, and there is always a handful of fans that will run with it.

fansince'76
02-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Media handbook: When you don't have anything to write about, just keep typing, something will happen, and there is always a handful of fans that will run with it.

It's true - the Steelers have hired at LEAST 6 different OCs in the last two weeks despite the fact that they haven't hired anyone yet...

And since they haven't filled the position yet, the latest seems to be that they're "waiting" for Kirby Wilson. Ridiculous. The man is more than likely still going to be in the burn unit well past opening day next season.

stillers4me
02-04-2012, 08:30 AM
It's true - the Steelers have hired at LEAST 6 different OCs in the last two weeks despite the fact that they haven't hired anyone yet...

And since they haven't filled the position yet, the latest seems to be that they're "waiting" for Kirby Wilson. Ridiculous. The man is more than likely still going to be in the burn unit well past opening day next season.

Here's a new twist for ya...maybe they are waiting to interview someone who's working this weekend. :noidea:

fansince'76
02-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Here's a new twist for ya...maybe they are waiting to interview someone who's working this weekend. :noidea:

Welp, Bill O'Brien has already accepted the HC position at Penn State, and Kevin Gilbride caught even more heat than Arians during his last stint as the Steelers' OC, so I'm not sure who that would be. They could try and pinch one of the Giants' or Pats' offensive positional coaches I suppose, but that would probably be met with plenty of derision due to their "lack of experience" as a NFL OC. Especially seeing how many seem to equate a simple interview to an actual hire...