PDA

View Full Version : Rating AFC North QBs on Dilfer scale

polamalubeast
02-01-2012, 08:23 AM
When it comes to analyzing quarterbacks, no one delivers more insight than Trent Dilfer. You'll need an Insider subscription to read his thoughts on the top 40 quarterbacks in the NFL, but I will give you a small sampling of what he says about the ones in the AFC North.

Ben Roethlisberger

Team: Pittsburgh Steelers

2009 ranking: Stars

Current ranking: Hall of Fame level (The numbers, status among peers, Super Bowl rings and franchise-leader status are all there)

Dilfer comment: "This might turn heads, but Big Ben has reached this level."

Hensley's comment: He was the best quarterback in the AFC this season before injuring his thumb and spraining his ankle.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/41637/rating-afc-north-qbs-on-dilfer-scale

Hall of Fame Level:
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger

The Eli Zone:
Eli Manning

A Ring Away:
Phillip Rivers
Tony Romo
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Matthew Stafford
Jay Cutler
Matt Schaub

Mostly Good:
Cam Newton
Michael Vick
Andy Dalton
Josh Freeman
Carson Palmer
Matt Hasselbeck
Alex Smith

Could Go Either Way:
Mark Sanchez
Sam Bradford
Kevin Kolb
Matt Cassell
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Kyle Orton
Matt Moore

Short Leash:
Tim Tebow
Blaine Gabbert
Colt McCoy
Christian Ponder
Rex Grossman
Tavaris Jackson
Curtis Painter
John Beck

Intriguing Wild Cards:
Matt Flynn
Jake Locker
TJ Yates
John Skelton
Brian Hoyer

Animal Mother
02-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Who cares what Trent Dilfer thinks? So he was a quarterback who won a Super Bowl by not making a mistake and letting his defense dominate. I loved his analysis on the MNF game against the 49ers though: "That shot might start wearing off if this power outage keeps up! I'd be freaking out! You can only get one! Oh Noes!!!"

st33lersguy
02-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Glad to see someone giving Roethlisberger the respect he deserves and put in a class above overrated QBs like Rivers, Romo, Vick, and Palmer. Just because he is not your ideal pocket passer, doesn't mean he is not elite

P.S. Joe Flacco is a ring away from what, giving himself another reason to think he is an elite quarterback?

fansince'76
02-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Who cares what Trent Dilfer thinks?

Agreed. I find his opinion to be about as meaningful as Sean Salisbury's.

Chidi29
02-01-2012, 12:27 PM
I actually think Dilfer is a solid analyst. Knows and explains the game well. One of the few that do that on ESPN.

zulater
02-01-2012, 01:03 PM
I actually think Dilfer is a solid analyst. Knows and explains the game well. One of the few that do that on ESPN.

I agree. Dilfer doesn't try to pretend that he was any great shakes as a player. But he certainly knows the game, and he understands it from a quarterbacks perspective. I don't agree with everything he says, but I find him entertaining, informative, and fair.

zulater
02-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Agreed. I find his opinion to be about as meaningful as Sean Salisbury's.

Couldn't disagree more. Salisbury was a self absorbed idiot. It didn't shock me at all that his own idiocy led to his dismissal at ESPN. ( he liked to show cell phones pictures of his junk to the ladies of Bristol. :doh: )

fansince'76
02-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Dilfer doesn't try to pretend that he was any great shakes as a player.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/015/orly.jpg

Six years removed from being the Ravens' Super Bowl-winning quarterback, Trent Dilfer is more emotional about the events that followed the victory.

Dilfer remains extremely bitter about Brian Billick's decision to replace him with Elvis Grbac after the championship season and doesn't plan to speak to the Ravens coach again.

"He grossly misunderstood the talent of that football team, myself specifically," said Dilfer, who is working for the NFL Network at this year's Super Bowl...

..."Those guys will go to their graves swearing to God that we would have won two, three Super Bowls if they would have kept me," Dilfer said...

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2007-02-02/sports/0702020262_1_trent-dilfer-brian-billick-super-bowl

Yeah, Trent. The 2000 Ravens only won that Super Bowl on account of you and the rest of that awesome offense that went without scoring a TD for over two months of that season. :rolleyes:

Dude's a clown - just like everyone else on that joke of a network.

zulater
02-01-2012, 02:11 PM
I'll tell you what, he was certainly a helluva lot better than the no hearted clown that replaced him. Elvis Grbac sucked shit. So in that sense Dilfer was right.

zulater
02-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Former Ravens safety Woodson said yesterday that he always favored bringing Dilfer back.

"I don't want a guy with gaudy numbers; I want a guy that wins. I want a guy like Trent Dilfer," said Woodson, who also works for the NFL Network. "I think we could have won another Super Bowl with Trent as our quarterback."

From the same link....

Guess Rod woodson's a clown too? Seems he held a similiar opinion.

fansince'76
02-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Guess Rod woodson's a clown too?

Well, seeing as how he defected to the Ravens, that goes without saying, doesn't it? :chuckle:

zulater
02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Well, seeing as how he defected to the Ravens, that goes without saying, doesn't it? :chuckle:

True. :lol:

Seriously I like Dilfer. Maybe it goes back to when I saw that he lost his 5 year old son a few years back. When I read the story of that, and how he and wife struggled to get through it, I couldn't help but have a soft spot for the guy.

Plus I really do like most of his work as an analyst.

st33lersguy
02-01-2012, 02:37 PM
We got to atleast give him some props for calling Big Ben an elite QB and saying he is hall-of-fame worthy while other idiots would have ranked Ben at the same level as or below Rivers, Palmer, Romo, and Vick

Chidi29
02-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Couldn't disagree more. Salisbury was a self absorbed idiot. It didn't shock me at all that his own idiocy led to his dismissal at ESPN. ( he liked to show cell phones pictures of his junk to the ladies of Bristol. :doh: )

Salisbury wasn't an analyst. His department was "Yell at John Clayton".

fansince'76
02-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Salisbury wasn't an analyst. His department was "Yell at John Clayton".

"Pencil-neck geek." :lol:

Chidi29
02-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Haha!

steelerdude15
02-01-2012, 03:15 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/015/orly.jpg

:rofl2: This picture is awesome!