PDA

View Full Version : Nose Tackle

Steeldude
02-01-2012, 07:46 AM
I created this thread to discuss one position(NT) only. This way it won't become cluttered with the many other positions which need filling/upgrading. Too many times I see threads referencing 5 or more positions with about 20+ names being thrown around. Who can follow that?

IMO, the steelers should go with Josh Chapman from Alabama. He's a typical mold for a 3-4 defense. A thick base, low to the ground, difficult to move and very strong(580lb bench press, 630lb squat). He regularly took on multiple blockers while helping Alabama lead the nation in rushing yards allowed with just 74.9 yards per game. One site's positives on Chapman reads as "Lunch-pail type player, is smart and works hard, plays with an impressive motor; anticipates snap count, above average recognition skills, plays through the whistle, responds well to coaching and spends a lot of time in the video room". His knocks were he isn't very nimble or agile; not a pass rusher. He doesn't need to be in Pittsburgh's scheme. All he needs to do is eat up blockers and push the pocket. I think he will be available in round 2 or 3.

I feel the Steelers should stay away from the taller NTs. When a 3-4 NT is too tall he is going to have trouble with leverage. I know fans are high on Dontari Poe, but he isn't a 3-4 NT.

Chidi29
02-01-2012, 08:11 AM
And Chapman played most of last season with a torn ACL. Never heard of a guy doing that until him.

Steeltreal
02-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Any NT later than a 2nd round prospect hard to choose until the combine.

Steeltreal
02-01-2012, 08:24 AM
For instance I liked Linval Joseph coming out of ECU pre combine as a 4th or 5th rounder. Combine came and Giants took him in the 2nd

Texasteel
02-01-2012, 08:51 AM
For instance I liked Linval Joseph coming out of ECU pre combine as a 4th or 5th rounder. Combine came and Giants took him in the 2nd

A kid that I like that may follow that same path is Herbron Fangupo out of BYU.

LLT
02-01-2012, 11:20 AM
A kid that I like that may follow that same path is Herbron Fangupo out of BYU.

Always on the same page....I have him as a 4th rounder...but he may climb.

Aussie_steeler
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I created this thread to discuss one position(NT) only. This way it won't become cluttered with the many other positions which need filling/upgrading. Too many times I see threads referencing 5 or more positions with about 20+ names being thrown around. Who can follow that?

IMO, the steelers should go with Josh Chapman from Alabama. He's a typical mold for a 3-4 defense. A thick base, low to the ground, difficult to move and very strong(580lb bench press, 630lb squat). He regularly took on multiple blockers while helping Alabama lead the nation in rushing yards allowed with just 74.9 yards per game. One site's positives on Chapman reads as "Lunch-pail type player, is smart and works hard, plays with an impressive motor; anticipates snap count, above average recognition skills, plays through the whistle, responds well to coaching and spends a lot of time in the video room". His knocks were he isn't very nimble or agile; not a pass rusher. He doesn't need to be in Pittsburgh's scheme. All he needs to do is eat up blockers and push the pocket. I think he will be available in round 2 or 3.

I feel the Steelers should stay away from the taller NTs. When a 3-4 NT is too tall he is going to have trouble with leverage. I know fans are high on Dontari Poe, but he isn't a 3-4 NT.

At this point in time, this is my exact same sentiment.

Chapman is #1 on my best fit for steelers NT.

6'4 plus DT's play DE usually for the steelers. I know Cody and Ngata are big physical specimens but I dont see the steelers changing their mode of operation.

Remember last year when Anthony Gray was bought in. He measured in at 5'11 / 6'0 and 320" plus. This is the preferred physical profile of LeBeau in most cases

An injured Chapman at #56 in round 2 is still great value in my opinion. (He is Nick Saban Pro Ready and as tough as steel)