PDA

View Full Version : How Big Ben, not Eli, could have been the Giants’ QB

polamalubeast
01-31-2012, 05:21 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — Seated at the most crowded podium during Tuesday’s Media Day, Giants QB Eli Manning fielded questions about older brother Peyton‘s healthand playing in his second Super Bowl. But what if Manning never was traded to the Giants on the day the Chargers drafted him No. 1 overall in 2004?

The man behind that podium actually might have been Ben Roethlisberger.

On Tuesday, Giants owner John Mara recalled the crazy April day eight years ago when New York and San Diego eventually reached a deal that sent Manning to Big Blue, which agreed to draft Philip Rivers at No. 4 and trade him in a package that included two other unused draft picks.

But had the deal never been done, Mara said, the Giants instead would have selected Roethlisberger.

“(Chargers general manager) A.J. (Smith) played it pretty cool,” Mara said. “There was no communication the night before until I think we were on the clock. It really did go down to the wire. Our backup plan was Ben Roethlisberger, so we felt like we were in good shape. But we had our hearts set on Eli at the time.”

If the Giants win, Manning and Roethlisberger will be tied for second among active quarterbacks with two Super Bowls each. Only Tom Brady, with three, would have more.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/01/31/how-big-ben-not-eli-could-have-been-the-giants-qb/?module=HP11_content_stream

SMR
01-31-2012, 06:30 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — Seated at the most crowded podium during Tuesday’s Media Day, Giants QB Eli Manning fielded questions about older brother Peyton‘s healthand playing in his second Super Bowl. But what if Manning never was traded to the Giants on the day the Chargers drafted him No. 1 overall in 2004?

The man behind that podium actually might have been Ben Roethlisberger.

On Tuesday, Giants owner John Mara recalled the crazy April day eight years ago when New York and San Diego eventually reached a deal that sent Manning to Big Blue, which agreed to draft Philip Rivers at No. 4 and trade him in a package that included two other unused draft picks.

But had the deal never been done, Mara said, the Giants instead would have selected Roethlisberger.

“(Chargers general manager) A.J. (Smith) played it pretty cool,” Mara said. “There was no communication the night before until I think we were on the clock. It really did go down to the wire. Our backup plan was Ben Roethlisberger, so we felt like we were in good shape. But we had our hearts set on Eli at the time.”

If the Giants win, Manning and Roethlisberger will be tied for second among active quarterbacks with two Super Bowls each. Only Tom Brady, with three, would have more.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/01/31/how-big-ben-not-eli-could-have-been-the-giants-qb/?module=HP11_content_stream

Brady and Patriots' three so-called SB wins were made artificial by the asterisks.

Period.

So Ben and Eli are ahead right now.

polamalubeast
01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Brady and Patriots' three so-called SB wins were made artificial by the asterisks.

Period.

So Ben and Eli are ahead right now.

since 2007 for Brady

2007:50 td 8 int
2009:28 td 13 int
2010:36 td 4 int
2011:39 td 12 int

W-L:53-11!

Brady is an amazing QB and the Patriots are an amazing team and we must admit even if they hate.

The Patriots record is incredible since the Spygate(64-16 and 2 super bowl apparence)

SMR
01-31-2012, 07:56 PM
since 2007 for Brady

2007:50 td 8 int
2009:28 td 13 int
2010:36 td 4 int
2011:39 td 12 int

W-L:53-11!

Brady is an amazing QB and the Patriots are an amazing team and we must admit even if they hate.

The Patriots record is incredible since the Spygate(64-16 and 2 super bowl apparence)

I was talking about Marsha and the Patsies SB "wins" only, not his stats since the last SB appearance.

BigNastyDefense
01-31-2012, 08:41 PM
I am glad we are the ones with Ben Roethlisberger and not the Giants. If it would have gone down that way, I am not completely sure that the Steelers would have taken Phillip Rivers....maybe they would have taken that offensive lineman that Cowher wanted the Steelers to take instead.

steelpride12
01-31-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm proud that Ben is our franchise QB. I would take him and his 2 SB wins over Brady or Eli any day even if one does have more wins and rings then us. Feels great to be a Steeler fan.

siss
01-31-2012, 09:44 PM
If the Football Gods had intended for Big Ben to not be our franchise QB, than they would not have made him out of Steel.

So it worked out good for everyone!