PDA

View Full Version : Report: Mike Tomlin Checking Out Todd Haley & Alex Van Pelt

polamalubeast
01-31-2012, 07:22 AM
Jason La Canfora is reporting tonight via Twitter that Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin has made inquiries into former Kansas City Chiefs head coach Todd Haley and former Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt, presumably for the open offensive coordinator position with the Steelers. Both Haley and Van Pelt have links back to the Steelers organization as Haley is the son of Dick Haley, the Steelers former Director of Player Personnel and Van Pelt, a star college quarterback at the University of Pittsburgh, was drafted by the Steelers in the 8th round of the 1993 draft.

read more

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/report_mike_tomlin_checking_out_todd_haley_alex_va n_pelt/9680269

ALLD
01-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Haley

Dino 6 Rings
01-31-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure about Haley, he has a pretty fired up personality, not sure how he will get along with the "young money" receivers and the franchise QB. He can game plan an offense though, we've seen that first hand. But I'm not sure how his explosive personality will work in Pittsburgh. Its pretty well known that he was hated by almost all the Chiefs players too, let alone the side line fights he had with players while still with the Cardinals.

X-Terminator
01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
I would take Haley if he is told point-blank to check the attitude at the door before signing the contract. It's OK to have fire, but you have to be able to channel that fire in a positive direction.

Edman
01-31-2012, 08:42 AM
I like Haley, but he lacks control over his emotions at times. I wouldn't mind the Steelers taking the risk. But they have to put a leash on him.

X-Terminator
01-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Just tell him that if he gets out of line, he gets locked in a room for 5 minutes with James Harrison :heh:

polamalubeast
01-31-2012, 08:54 AM
Todd Haley would be a very good choice.

He revived the career of Kurt Warner in Arizona and in 2007 and 2008, and the Cardinals offense was one of the best in the NFL.

smokin3000gt
01-31-2012, 08:58 AM
I don't know why we scout the Bills for talent..

86WARD
01-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Yes please. Haley gets a bad wrap on the attitude...

st33lersguy
01-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Please hire Haley

Carolina Steelers
01-31-2012, 09:13 AM
I think Haley could take this O to another level where it should have been thei yr.

fansince'76
01-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Todd Haley would be a very good choice.

He revived the career of Kurt Warner in Arizona and in 2007 and 2008, and the Cardinals offense was one of the best in the NFL.

And one of the most one-dimensional, ranking 25th in rushing in 2007 and dead last at 32nd in 2008. I thought that's what people DIDN'T want. :noidea:

polamalubeast
01-31-2012, 09:53 AM
And one of the most one-dimensional, ranking 25th in rushing in 2007 and dead last at 32nd in 2008. I thought that's what people DIDN'T want. :noidea:

The NFL is now a passing league!

In 2007, the Cardinals had scored 404 points and in 2008 they scored 427 points.

Edman
01-31-2012, 09:57 AM

With a past-his-prime Edgerrin James, Tim Hightower, and no Beanie Wells.

What do you have to say about his time with the Chiefs when Jamaal Charles emerged as a premier rushing attack for the Chiefs?

I welcome Haley here.

fansince'76
01-31-2012, 10:22 AM
With a past-his-prime Edgerrin James, Tim Hightower, and no Beanie Wells.

But I thought a competent OC could scheme around shortcomings in personnel? That's what I've been reading here ad nauseam for the last week, anyway.

Dino 6 Rings
01-31-2012, 10:28 AM
I really worry more about the players taking to him. The Chiefs players dumped Gatoraid over the head of Romeo specifically because they hated Haley that much after he was fired. That's pretty telling that the guys don't like him. Also, isn't he the guy that tons of players don't respect cause he was a golfer in College or something?

I'm not getting into his X's and O's, he passes a lot, I'd prefer an even balance myself, but his personality doesn't seem to be one that is welcome in locker rooms. Almost like a Terrell Owens of coaching.

polamalubeast
01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald loved Haley

zulater
01-31-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm just looking forward to an actual hire.

So I can start hating on the guy! :chuckle:

zulater
01-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Seriously, I'm glad they're interviewing multiple candidates for the position. I trust the interview process will produce the best man for the job. So I'll reserve my comments until after an actual hire is made.

Slight hypocritical moment. I don't know how much, if any, thought was given to Caldwell, but I'm glad he's not part of the picture. It's probably unfair, as he's probably supremely able, but as a guy who kinda likes the Colts ( I'm a big fan of Manning) as a game day head coach I thought he was ridiculously bad. He just looks like a robot on the sidelines. And how being the quarterback coach for Manning qualified him for the HC position to begin with baffles me? I mean really, what does Peyton Manning's quarterback coach do? "Hey coach, can you bring me that film of the last Chargers game? And while you're at it, freshen my coffee, and don't forget the dry cleaning!" Sorry, but I want no part of that guy.

Pretty much everyone who really is in the running for the Steelers job is fine by me. I anxiously await the decision.

Chidi29
01-31-2012, 11:54 AM
I said it before when Haley's name came up right after Arians was let go. I won't protest really any selection except for Haley. When the players respond well to your fire, things are great, but when they don't, it can go downhill quickly. Don't want to roll the dice.

zulater
01-31-2012, 12:01 PM
I said it before when Haley's name came up right after Arians was let go. I won't protest really any selection except for Haley. When the players respond well to your fire, things are great, but when they don't, it can go downhill quickly. Don't want to roll the dice.

I think Haley just wasn't ready to be a head coach yet, and over compensated by being overbearing to his players. When your young and put in a position of authority sometimes you feel as if you have to be a bad ass, otherwise your underlings wont take you serious.

Let me put it this way. I trust the interview process. If Haley is the a-hole you think he is, they'll figure it out and move on the the next candidate.

XxKnightxX
01-31-2012, 12:20 PM
I think Haley just wasn't ready to be a head coach yet, and over compensated by being overbearing to his players. When your young and put in a position of authority sometimes you feel as if you have to be a bad ass, otherwise your underlings wont take you serious.

Let me put it this way. I trust the interview process. If Haley is the a-hole you think he is, they'll figure it out and move on the the next candidate.

This is what Tomlin did in 07, but the Steelers were smart enough to know what he was doing. The Chiefs looked at him being an asshole. As a player, theres a chain of command, and your immediate boss initially is the Coaches and the HC, but I think a lot of times the players run a circle around that chain of command and the FO people panic and pull the plug on coaches.

Devilsdancefloor
01-31-2012, 01:47 PM
the only thing i remember about alex van pelt is he looked like the pillsbury dough boy. At this point id take haley, bit someone needs to tell him to eat some cheese with his horrid whine he has at times. He is a Pittsburgh guy? dont remember when his dad moved on to another team. anyway i think he can get the best out of what we have maybe we need a screamer to get some discipline back in the O???

Edman
01-31-2012, 02:34 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-interviews-Todd-Haley/36d69bf9-f3dd-4b7f-91fe-559807f8947c

Tomlin apparently interviewed Haley today. Hope things went well.

I liked Haley's work as an OC in Arizona, and I don't mind him coming here. This could be awesome or terrible, especially when he's dealing with a ego like Ben.

st33lersguy
01-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Haley can turn the Steelers into a scoring machine, and get the most points out of the offense. Certainly more than Airhead Arians and his system ever did

suitanim
01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Ugh.

Well, at least if Haley gets hired the haters will have PLENTY to legitimately hate.

BigNastyDefense
01-31-2012, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't mind Haley as the OC here as long as he's reminded to tone it down some. I don't mind a coordinator that gets into the face of his players at times, but doing it to much can cause your players to turn on you.

I just want the Steelers to hire a coordinator that will get the most out of the offense. If they don't think that guy is Haley, that's fine. If they think it is, then hire him and let's see what this offense can do with him as the OC.

I don't think the offense can be any worse than the worst season it was under Arians.

polamalubeast
01-31-2012, 03:57 PM
I want Haley

salamander
01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
If they would fix the o-line, we would probably get more out of our offense regardless of who the offensive coordinator is.

BlastFurnace
01-31-2012, 06:47 PM
If there were issues between Whiz and Ben, there will definitely be issues between Ben and Haley. I hope the Steelers don't go that route, I will trust their decision.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-31-2012, 06:50 PM
I like that Tomlin is taking his time and searching for coordinators. I trust he will find somebody that will be a fit.

zulater
01-31-2012, 08:50 PM
If there were issues between Whiz and Ben, there will definitely be issues between Ben and Haley. I hope the Steelers don't go that route, I will trust their decision.

Ben played some pretty good football for Whiz.

zulater
01-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Ugh.

Well, at least if Haley gets hired the haters will have PLENTY to legitimately hate.

If Haley's as bad as you believe he'll be eliminated in the interview process. If he's the choice, maybe you should reconsider your opinion of him?

I have trust in the process. Whoever emerges I think will prove to be a good hire in due time.

steelpride12
01-31-2012, 09:24 PM
I think these people are just options at this point and not serious decisions. Tomlin and the Steelers will take their time and be patient with this process as it is a key position for this team and offense. I am confident the correct choice and person will be made.

zulater
02-01-2012, 06:01 AM
The Steelers confirmed Tuesday they interviewed former Kansas City head coach Todd Haley for their vacant offensive coordinator position.

Haley, 45, had been courted by Arizona and the New York Jets the past few weeks. He was let go after the Chiefs struggled to a 5-8 record, partly because of key injuries — including quarterback Matt Cassel and leading rusher Jamaal Charles.

He was an NFL assistant for 10 years before taking over in Kansas City in 2009, began his coaching career as a wide receivers coach for the Jets before moving on to Chicago, Dallas and Arizona.

In Arizona, Haley was the Cardinals' offensive coordinator when the Steelers defeated Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII. He compiled a 19-26 record in Kansas City, including a 10-6 mark in 2010 when he led the Chiefs to the AFC West title.

Haley could be the likely choice, but the Steelers may also interview several other candidates, including Green Bay quarterbacks coach Tom Clements and Steelers quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner.

Read more: Steelers interview former Chiefs coach Haley for offensive coordinator job - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_779321.html#ixzz1l8A261tH

If he was as difficult as many proclaim him to be, I find it interesting that teams that have dealt with him in the past are interested in bringing him back?

fansince'76
02-01-2012, 06:24 AM
I thought Clements was already promoted to OC in Green Bay? :noidea:

tube517
02-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Tribune is reporting Haley as a "Appears as a leading candidate" and the Post Gazette says Haley is "unlikely to get Arians' job"

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/12032/1207231-66.stm

Chidi29
02-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Tribune is reporting Haley as a "Appears as a leading candidate" and the Post Gazette says Haley is "unlikely to get Arians' job"

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/12032/1207231-66.stm

*facepalm*

Like Perry said, all about trying to get the scoop first.

Only worthwile piece of info in the article is Harold Goodwin will become the OL coach for the Colts. Pagano is trying to take everyone!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2012, 09:26 AM
I would not mind either Haley or Clements as OC. Interesting the Steelers talking to Olsavsky. Prepping for a new LB coach when Butler takes the DC job??

Bluecoat96
02-01-2012, 10:06 AM
I would not mind either Haley or Clements as OC. Interesting the Steelers talking to Olsavsky. Prepping for a new LB coach when Butler takes the DC job??

Where'd you see that? All I could find was that they actually gave the Bucs permission to talk to him.

fansince'76
02-01-2012, 10:26 AM
*facepalm*

Like Perry said, all about trying to get the scoop first.

Only worthwile piece of info in the article is Harold Goodwin will become the OL coach for the Colts. Pagano is trying to take everyone!

My attitude regarding the media was summed up rather nicely by Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) in Training Day:

"This is a newspaper. It's 90% bullshit, but it's entertaining. That's why I read it, because it entertains me."

katmandu
02-01-2012, 11:14 AM
If they would fix the o-line, we would probably get more out of our offense regardless of who the offensive coordinator is. THIS !

polamalubeast
02-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Seriously, I'm tired of waiting.

It's when they will name the new OC?!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Where'd you see that? All I could find was that they actually gave the Bucs permission to talk to him.

Sorry, skimmed over it and read it wrong. I hadnt read anywhere where Jerry O was a DC candidate until this article.

NCSteeler
02-01-2012, 07:37 PM
The Steelers confirmed Tuesday they interviewed former Kansas City head coach Todd Haley for their vacant offensive coordinator position.

Haley, 45, had been courted by Arizona and the New York Jets the past few weeks. He was let go after the Chiefs struggled to a 5-8 record, partly because of key injuries — including quarterback Matt Cassel and leading rusher Jamaal Charles.

He was an NFL assistant for 10 years before taking over in Kansas City in 2009, began his coaching career as a wide receivers coach for the Jets before moving on to Chicago, Dallas and Arizona.

In Arizona, Haley was the Cardinals' offensive coordinator when the Steelers defeated Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII. He compiled a 19-26 record in Kansas City, including a 10-6 mark in 2010 when he led the Chiefs to the AFC West title.

Haley could be the likely choice, but the Steelers may also interview several other candidates, including Green Bay quarterbacks coach Tom Clements and Steelers quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner.

Read more: Steelers interview former Chiefs coach Haley for offensive coordinator job - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_779321.html#ixzz1l8A261tH

If he was as difficult as many proclaim him to be, I find it interesting that teams that have dealt with him in the past are interested in bringing him back?

And didn't rehire him, either.

Iron Steeler
02-01-2012, 08:35 PM

I think mike Tomlin is perfect fit for Haley. Tomlin has incredible composure and a demeanor to tame Haley. Tomlin is one of the best coaches in handling the media, so he will take care all the heat (like a head coach does when things go bad) and all Todd Haley will have to worry about is the offense.

Bluecoat96
02-01-2012, 08:49 PM
I just watched a video on NFL.com with Michael Lombardi and Weiner La Canfora talking about Haley. Weiner said that Haley supposedly REALLY wants the OC job with the Steelers because of his Pittsburgh ties. Lombardi mentioned something about Haley's demeanor and said that because of the kind of organization the Steelers are, Todd would essentially have to really "tow the line" if he wanted to work there.

zulater
02-01-2012, 08:51 PM
And didn't rehire him, either.

I wont complain if they don't hire him. But I think he's got a strong enough resume that it would be foolish to ignore him in the process. The Steelers were smart to bring him in for an interview.

Chidi29
02-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I think mike Tomlin is perfect fit for Haley. Tomlin has incredible composure and a demeanor to tame Haley. Tomlin is one of the best coaches in handling the media, so he will take care all the heat (like a head coach does when things go bad) and all Todd Haley will have to worry about is the offense.

Tomlin likes to let his coaches coach. He doesn't want to interefere more than he has to. Certainly wouldn't want have to play anger management counsler for Haley.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Haley has coached for teams run by Bill Parcells, Al Groh and Ken Whisenhunt. I dont think being a part of Tomlin's staff would be much of a conflict or issue. Either way, its Tomlin's call..........or is it Rooney's??

suitanim
02-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Chiefs averaged 13.2 PPG. 27th in the league. In his 3 years at KC they averaged 18.4 PPG. Now, I know everyone is going to want to point at 2008, when the Cards were like 3rd in the league in scoring, but they passed the ball 630 times that year. And they only ran it 340. If it's unacceptable for Arians to have a 55/45 pass/run ratio, why would a 65/35 pass/run ratio be better?

zulater
02-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Chiefs averaged 13.2 PPG. 27th in the league. In his 3 years at KC they averaged 18.4 PPG. Now, I know everyone is going to want to point at 2008, when the Cards were like 3rd in the league in scoring, but they passed the ball 630 times that year. And they only ran it 340. If it's unacceptable for Arians to have a 55/45 pass/run ratio, why would a 65/35 pass/run ratio be better?

It's not our decision to make. I trust the process. I appreciate the fact that they're taking the time to interview multiple candidates. Whoever the Steelers ultimately decide upon I will fully support.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2012, 09:50 AM
It's not our decision to make. I trust the process. I appreciate the fact that they're taking the time to interview multiple candidates. Whoever the Steelers ultimately decide upon I will fully support.

Good post. Right now its about moving forward and finding the best OC for the job. Not about comparing the candidates to the Colts current OC. IMO.

suitanim
02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Isn't that convenient. NOW the stats don't matter.

Hmmmm....

Stats that don't support Arians: Those matter
Stats that DO support Arians: Those don't matter
Stats about possible new OC: Only matter if they support new OC over old, but DO NOT matter if they might not

zulater
02-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Isn't that convenient. NOW the stats don't matter.

Hmmmm....

Stats that don't support Arians: Those matter
Stats that DO support Arians: Those don't matter
Stats about possible new OC: Only matter if they support new OC over old, but DO NOT matter if they might not

Suit. You're a great poster on this board. I find your insight on the political spectrum to be exceptional. I also find your football views highly informative. Generally I enjoy your pointed barbs, even on the occasions they're directed at me. :chuckle:

But my friend, get a grip, Bruce is gone and he's not coming back. It's no longer a question of whether it was right or wrong to send him on his way. And granted Rooney handled his dismissal poorly. But the fact is the guy with the most clout saw a need for change, thus change it is. And that's what this thread is supposed to be about. The new regime,(whoever it may be) not the old.

As far as the hypocrisy of message board posters. So what? We're just guys and gals discussing a football team. Often in life we walk in a grey area where our own opinions have varying degree's of conflict. Sometimes we may struggle to make a point without contradicting an earlier point ( or at least I do, all the time I'm afraid :chuckle:) but that doesn't make us necessarily wrong. Or at least I don't think it does? :noidea: :lol:

Anyway take of it what you will. And it isn't meant to offend, but I really think it's time we confine our conflicting views on Arians to the remaining thread's specific to him, rather than have the subject spill over into every single topic! :frusty:

I've said my piece, permission to kick my ass now Suit. :buttkick:

:wink02:

suitanim
02-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Here is my overriding concern:

We traded in a Cadillac for a Chevy

I'm not sold on many (or maybe ANY) of these candidates. It seems........um.........counter-intuitive to sell out a guy who had great success (regardless of his 2011 PPG average, which there are a lot of mitigating factors that contributed to it) and leap into the great unknown. I hope like Hell that I'm wrong.

zulater
02-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Here is my overriding concern:

We traded in a Cadillac for a Chevy

I'm not sold on many (or maybe ANY) of these candidates. It seems........um.........counter-intuitive to sell out a guy who had great success (regardless of his 2011 PPG average, which there are a lot of mitigating factors that contributed to it) and leap into the great unknown. I hope like Hell that I'm wrong.

Believe me I have many of the same fears.

But the process hasn't fully played out yet, so we may as well wait to see who the hire is before getting too wound up about it. I have to trust the guys conducting the interviews and looking over the resumes to make a good choice.

But only time will tell if the change will be beneficial or detrimental?

And believe me, I now it could be either.

suitanim
02-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Notice I didn't say Bentley.

Or even Mercedes.

Just a Cadillac.

zulater
02-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Notice I didn't say Bentley.

Or even Mercedes.

Just a Cadillac.

Duly noted. :lol: