PDA

View Full Version : What would you do

Galax Steeler
01-31-2012, 04:50 AM
So here it is if you were in the position to make the number one pick for the Pittsburgh Steelers who would you select.

1 Vontaze Burfict

2 Dont'a Hightower

3 Dontari Poe

4 Cordy Glenn

5 someone else that could be there

LLT
02-01-2012, 07:16 AM
So here it is if you were in the position to make the number one pick for the Pittsburgh Steelers who would you select.

1 Vontaze Burfict

2 Dont'a Hightower

3 Dontari Poe

4 Cordy Glenn

5 someone else that could be there

Out of that list...Poe or Hightower

Steeldude
02-01-2012, 08:00 AM
I would rather trade down and perhaps pick up Josh Chapman NT Alabama. If I had to choose between those 4 players I would go with Glenn.

ShutDown24
02-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Poe. But I would take a hard look at Hightower.

7willBheaven
02-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Thats a tough one...I think OL is the BIGGEST need...and they could have a NT in the 2nd...ILB gets thin though...there are a couple 3rd rounders that could be there but still. I wouldnt want Burfict for sure though...I'd probably have to go with Glenn.

The Duke
02-01-2012, 12:52 PM
the draft is deeper in OGs and NTs than linebacker. I would strongly lean towards Hightower

Aussie_steeler
02-01-2012, 01:55 PM
I take Hightower.

If you could somehow swing it I would follow this up with

1. Hightower ILB
2. Washington OG
3. Chapman NT
4. Best Available OT

7willBheaven
02-01-2012, 02:57 PM
I take Hightower.

If you could somehow swing it I would follow this up with

1. Hightower ILB
2. Washington OG
3. Chapman NT
4. Best Available OT

Not bad...not sure Chapman lasts that long...but it might. I'm not sure if i like Washington better than Zeitler or Osemele. But not a bad plan of attack though.

Aussie_steeler
02-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Not bad...not sure Chapman lasts that long...but it might. I'm not sure if i like Washington better than Zeitler or Osemele. But not a bad plan of attack though.

Washington has OT / OG capabilities. He will be a good NFL OG and could backup at RT if required. At the end of the day I think we need to go with the best LG available.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2012, 10:00 AM

I am with you. I like Osemele or Zeitler better. Osemele can play RT, but so can Jon Scott, Willie Colon, Chris Scott. Mitchell Schwartz is another contingency that might be around in the 3rd when we pick.

LLT
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
the draft is deeper in OGs and NTs than linebacker. I would strongly lean towards Hightower

This is a bigger issue than most people realize. Hightower is ranked in the top 32 players.....the next ILB is ranked in the 80's. There might be some truth to the argument that OLB Ronnell Lewis can play inside (he is ranked #53) but he seems like a boom or bust prospect..not much starting experience and only average production.

7willBheaven
02-02-2012, 12:19 PM
This is a bigger issue than most people realize. Hightower is ranked in the top 32 players.....the next ILB is ranked in the 80's. There might be some truth to the argument that OLB Ronnell Lewis can play inside (he is ranked #53) but he seems like a boom or bust prospect..not much starting experience and only average production.

But those guys that are ranked in the 80s as you say...it doesnt mean they arent good players. I mean I've read good things about Audie Cole and Tank Carder too. Plus another high round LB...and damn they'd have a lot of money invested in LBs...and while I know LBs are a big part of the 3-4 D, but still. I dunno, haha

ShutDown24
02-03-2012, 01:06 AM

What do you think of Emmanuel Acho? Seems like he is being overlooked some to me. The grades I've seen on him feel too low. From what I've seen he has good size and is an excellent tackler. I don't think he is the best cover guy available but he should be able to hang with the typical tight end. Played against solid competition at the college level and all indications are he is a great kid. Seems like he would be a value guy who would only need a short period of grooming to be able to step in and know what he is doing.

Aussie_steeler
02-03-2012, 02:18 AM
I love hightower but I have a gut feeling that it wont happen for one main reason. You cant have 4 linebackers earning huge contracts. Timmons, Woodley and Harrison make big money. Timmons is replacing Farrior as the big pay check ILB. I am counting on a mid round guy to come in and compete much like SLY.

Even though I said I would take Hightower, I think in your scenario the Steelers would take Cordy Glenn. The #2 Guard behind DeCastro and he fills a major need.

Galax Steeler
02-03-2012, 04:16 AM
I love hightower but I have a gut feeling that it wont happen for one main reason. You cant have 4 linebackers earning huge contracts. Timmons, Woodley and Harrison make big money. Timmons is replacing Farrior as the big pay check ILB. I am counting on a mid round guy to come in and compete much like SLY.

Even though I said I would take Hightower, I think in your scenario the Steelers would take Cordy Glenn. The #2 Guard behind DeCastro and he fills a major need.

I think the question would be Aussie is how much longer will Harrison be around to collect those big paydays.

ShutDown24
02-03-2012, 04:43 AM
I love hightower but I have a gut feeling that it wont happen for one main reason. You cant have 4 linebackers earning huge contracts. Timmons, Woodley and Harrison make big money. Timmons is replacing Farrior as the big pay check ILB.

This makes sense in accordance to the teams track record, but I'm not so sure I agree with it. In a 34, would have no issue investing big bucks in all of my Line Backers. To me, I'd rather be weak in the secondary than have a mediocre Inside Line Backer. Line Backers make the 34 operate. And you especially don't want to skimp on the Outside Backers. Those are just my thoughts though.

st33lersguy
02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I would take Poe, although if I was 100% sure that Ta'amu or Chapman were available, then I would lean towards taking Hightower

Galax Steeler
02-04-2012, 04:24 AM
I would take Poe, although if I was 100% sure that Ta'amu or Chapman were available, then I would lean towards taking Hightower

If poe is gone would you go with Hightower then. Without his attitude problems I am likeing Vontaze Burfict better then Hightower I think either one would be a great addition to the Steelers.