PDA

View Full Version : What do you want from our new offensive coordinator?

Iron Steeler
01-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Its no denying the talent is weighted heavily on Wrs on our roster. So we shouldn't stop utilizing the young money crew. But I would like our new OC :

Draw up plays to get Wallace in space. He doesn't need to run the go route every time.
we def need to establish a better run game. So we score more points in redzone.
would love to see more production from Both our TE. Saunders has a lot o potential.
use the rb in the passing game. (Im looking at you barton batch)
More quick release routes/passes. (Ben that's on you. Let's try and limit the john Wayne )
Lastly! Some one who has a GAMEPLAN not just throwing random play calls out there and hoping ben shed tackles. And if the GAMEPLAN is not working he must have the ability to 1stsee recognize the problem and 2nd adjust when the come out of the locker room.

Is that too much to ask?

ALLD
01-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Quick slants and anything to keep the pressure off the QB.

Craic
01-29-2012, 06:50 PM
An OC that utilizes our strengths and is not beholden to "steeler football." I can't bare another decade of AFCCG losses.

fansince'76
01-29-2012, 06:52 PM
An OC that utilizes our strengths and is not beholden to "steeler football." I can't bare another decade of AFCCG losses.

Three yards and a cloud of dust! :tt02:

:chuckle:

ALLD
01-29-2012, 07:04 PM
All I know is I will see more blocking from the chili cheese fries I had for lunch than what came from our OL.

tube517
01-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Bubble screens

Edman
01-29-2012, 07:28 PM
An OC that isn't Ben's best buddy and one that will coach him up to do better and play smarter.

An OC the makes the most of our players and knows how to enhance their strengths and minimize their weaknesses the best way possible. Our weakness on Offense is O-Line and Ben taking sacks. A good OC gameplans keep pressure off the O-Line and cuts down the sacks.

An OC who is creative and gameplans for opponents weaknesses and not for putting up pretty statistics. Like doesn't go up against the 32nd ranked Run Defense but opts for throwing the ball. Especially in high winds and bad weather.

An OC who is blue-collar. Not "blue-collar" like running the ball 60% of the time and Cowherball. Cares for hard work, scoring, execution and helping this team win games. Not meaningless passing statistics to make Ben happy. Our Offense is soft. Not because of the passing game. Our execution is soft crap run or pass. Our Offense can't seal games. That needs to change.

An OC who doesn't ignore the importance of balance on offense and respects the concept of a running game, a fullback, and playaction.

7willBheaven
01-29-2012, 07:54 PM
One who can make ADJUSTMENTS anytime they are needed.

steelpride12
01-29-2012, 07:57 PM
More Kuhnnnnnnn!

Count Steeler
01-29-2012, 07:57 PM
A respectable O Line, manageable injuries and better execution from the players. So that he can have the opportunity to succeed.

GBMelBlount
01-29-2012, 08:56 PM
30 points per game.

st33lersguy
01-29-2012, 09:03 PM
What our last OC did not do; run Issac Redman more, adjust his gameplan when the original is not working, run some trick plays, abandon the bubble screen, not throw deep every other possession.

steelerdude15
01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Consistent play calling, making adjustments when needed, improved redzone play calling, using players to their strengths, and actually preparing the correct way. If a team has a bad rush defense, run the ball, but if they have a bad pass defense, throw it.

X-Terminator
01-29-2012, 10:03 PM
If the new OC goes back to Cowherball, I'll personally storm Heinz with pitchfork in hand. I don't care what else he does, just don't do that.

JayC
01-29-2012, 10:11 PM
1 word: cOnsistenCy

Steeltreal
01-29-2012, 11:19 PM
1 word: cOnsistenCy

consistent 3 & outs would be a fail

Aussie_steeler
01-30-2012, 02:24 AM
Consistent play calling, making adjustments when needed, improved redzone play calling, using players to their strengths, and actually preparing the correct way. If a team has a bad rush defense, run the ball, but if they have a bad pass defense, throw it.

BINGO

Add pressures FO to draft a couple of OL on draft day and I am very happy

BlacknGoldBabe
01-30-2012, 03:36 AM
If the new OC goes back to Cowherball, I'll personally storm Heinz with pitchfork in hand. I don't care what else he does, just don't do that.

Form a pitchfork brigade!!!

They shouldn't keep expecting Ben to "avoid" DB's. That's what the OL is supposed to PREVENT.
As to run/pass - the OC ought to know what plays would be best called according to the defense they're facing that day.

Steeldude
01-30-2012, 04:06 AM
how about an identity and game plans?

suitanim
01-30-2012, 05:34 AM
To only ever run plays that work. And not to have a predictable offense that seems to select plays randomly and unpredictably, as if from a "grab-bag".

And 100 points a game.

LLT
01-30-2012, 06:19 AM
I want an OC who will look at:

An emphasis on O-linemen...
A big short yardage back who can also block...and be our FB when needed.
A legit backup QB
An offense that changes based on the defensive allignment. If Ariens had one fatal flaw...it was lack of imagination. I would love to get a tactician...someone like Gary Kubiak who is a master at adjusting on the fly.

polamalubeast
01-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Pass happy and great in red zone,short yards situation

Pristas
01-30-2012, 08:56 AM
To only ever run plays that work. And not to have a predictable offense that seems to select plays randomly and unpredictably, as if from a "grab-bag".

And 100 points a game.

I'd be happy with eliminating plays that don't work, call plays that play to our strengths especially in the red zone, and 27 ppg. Suit, I know you think that BA was a hero for this team, but seriously, can't you see room for improvement? Every post of yours is a sarcastic attack on any type of change.

steelerdude15
01-30-2012, 08:58 AM
BINGO

Add pressures FO to draft a couple of OL on draft day and I am very happy

Couldn't agree more.

whodat1
01-30-2012, 09:49 AM
How about a Lombardi Trophy.

Iron Steeler
01-30-2012, 10:00 AM
I'll take the saints offense with our defense we would be unstoppable

Dino 6 Rings
01-30-2012, 10:18 AM
How about less than 40 sacks a year of our "100 million dollar" Franchise QB...

suitanim
01-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I'd be happy with eliminating plays that don't work, call plays that play to our strengths especially in the red zone, and 27 ppg. Suit, I know you think that BA was a hero for this team, but seriously, can't you see room for improvement? Every post of yours is a sarcastic attack on any type of change.

A) Never said he was "A Hero", rather, a convenient scapegoat for the intellectually lazy
B) Running up the middle is a play that has a low percentage of success. Should that be eliminated from the playbook?
C) The long pass has an even higher rate of failure. That gone, too?
D) The play in question (bubble screen) yielded an average of 6 yard per play. Our running game (7th in the league) only yielded 4.4.
E) Our "strength" is the passing game, and our WR's. Does that mean we should.............pass more in the redzone?

Again, see where this is going? And I use sarcasm because it's called for. I'm openly mocking stupidity...

Chidi29
01-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Well I guess the question is really, "What did Arians do wrong?" which is a fair one to ask because he wasn't perfect.

I'd definitely like to see us have a better offense on the road. A lot of the issues seemed to come from crowd noise and resulting miscommunication that followed. Most noticeably for me, along the offensive line. Kugler's responsibility too but I want the line, even in a difficult year like it was, to be able to recognize fronts/stunts/blitzes. I don't care what the talent level is, that's not an excuse. They all have brains, they all watch film.

And for the plays to get in quicker and put a bigger emphasis of snapping the ball with at least three seconds left on the playclock so defenses can't pin their ears back and get a good jump off the edge. I still want to go back and see how many times that resulted in sacks.

But as this comes as no shock, just build on what Arians did. Because the things I'm seeing listed are things he did. Whoever gets the job willl have a great foundation. Just keep building it up.

zulater
01-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Well I guess the question is really, "What did Arians do wrong?" which is a fair one to ask because he wasn't perfect.

I'd definitely like to see us have a better offense on the road. A lot of the issues seemed to come from crowd noise and resulting miscommunication that followed. Most noticeably for me, along the offensive line. Kugler's responsibility too but I want the line, even in a difficult year like it was, to be able to recognize fronts/stunts/blitzes. I don't care what the talent level is, that's not an excuse. They all have brains, they all watch film.

And for the plays to get in quicker and put a bigger emphasis of snapping the ball with at least three seconds left on the playclock so defenses can't pin their ears back and get a good jump off the edge. I still want to go back and see how many times that resulted in sacks.

But as this comes as no shock, just build on what Arians did. Because the things I'm seeing listed are things he did. Whoever gets the job willl have a great foundation. Just keep building it up.

You need to ask Art II.

Chidi29
01-30-2012, 10:39 AM
You need to ask Art II.

I'm still scratching my head, I know that much. Especially in the manner it was apparently done.

LLT
01-30-2012, 10:54 AM
A) Never said he was "A Hero", rather, a convenient scapegoat for the intellectually lazy
B) Running up the middle is a play that has a low percentage of success. Should that be eliminated from the playbook?
C) The long pass has an even higher rate of failure. That gone, too?
D) The play in question (bubble screen) yielded an average of 6 yard per play. Our running game (7th in the league) only yielded 4.4.
E) Our "strength" is the passing game, and our WR's. Does that mean we should.............pass more in the redzone?

Again, see where this is going? And I use sarcasm because it's called for. I'm openly mocking stupidity...

...and that is when it often becomes personal. Please keep it civil.

Steeldude
01-30-2012, 11:25 AM
not to have a predictable offense that seems to select plays randomly, as if from a "grab-bag".

agreed. you are finally getting it

Pristas
01-30-2012, 11:38 AM
...and that is when it often becomes personal. Please keep it civil.

No problem.

A. You're waffling. Either you champion the man or not.
B. Up the middle is to keep defenses honest. Bubble screens can pull d backs in also. But when either become predictable, they become a huge liability. Our bubble screen was predictable.
C. See B.
D. Our bubble screen also forced too many punts in key situations.
E. I think a different passing scheme in the redzone could be more effective. I like what Brady is doing with those tight ends.

Differing opinions don't make one stupid, it only encourages growth in perspective... well, only if you're open to other perspectives... I personally think BA did a nice job, but there is enough evidence pointing to the fact that he was not using our talents as well as he could. Otherwise Rooney would have renewed his contract.

Craic
01-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Three yards and a cloud of dust! :tt02:

:chuckle:

Don't you mean "three yards and a cloud of mediocrity?" :wink02:

suitanim
01-30-2012, 03:48 PM
No problem.

A. You're waffling. Either you champion the man or not.
B. Up the middle is to keep defenses honest. Bubble screens can pull d backs in also. But when either become predictable, they become a huge liability. Our bubble screen was predictable.
C. See B.
D. Our bubble screen also forced too many punts in key situations.
E. I think a different passing scheme in the redzone could be more effective. I like what Brady is doing with those tight ends.

Differing opinions don't make one stupid, it only encourages growth in perspective... well, only if you're open to other perspectives... I personally think BA did a nice job, but there is enough evidence pointing to the fact that he was not using our talents as well as he could. Otherwise Rooney would have renewed his contract.

I disagree with almost every word of this. I'm wrong and you all are right because after 4 out of 5 years of being wrong, Arians is finally gone, like you predicted (wrongly) all along.

What the fuck ever. You win. Congrats on your ridiculous Pyrrhic victory.

O'Malley
01-30-2012, 05:34 PM
I disagree with almost every word of this. I'm wrong and you all are right because after 4 out of 5 years of being wrong, Arians is finally gone, like you predicted (wrongly) all along.

What the fuck ever. You win. Congrats on your ridiculous Pyrrhic victory.

It's not about right or wrong... It's just about moving forward.. IMO Bruce had a good 5 years.. Not a great 5 years.. He did some great things and some bone head things.. All in all IMO he didn't get the most out of the offense.. In the end someone has to be accountalbe for lack of consistency and production.. Bruce was the OC and ultimately it's his job to make the most of his offense.. Rooney obviously didn't think he met the standard and stepped in and made move.. I see nothing wrong with that.. Not like he is Jerry Jones.. Comparing him to JJ is ridiculous.. I think he felt the weapons he paid for were underutilized and thought it was time for a change.

zulater
01-30-2012, 05:57 PM
It's not about right or wrong... It's just about moving forward.. IMO Bruce had a good 5 years.. Not a great 5 years.. He did some great things and some bone head things.. All in all IMO he didn't get the most out of the offense.. In the end someone has to be accountalbe for lack of consistency and production.. Bruce was the OC and ultimately it's his job to make the most of his offense.. Rooney obviously didn't think he met the standard and stepped in and made move.. I see nothing wrong with that.. Not like he is Jerry Jones.. Comparing him to JJ is ridiculous.. I think he felt the weapons he paid for were underutilized and thought it was time for a change.

Good post!

Iron Steeler
01-30-2012, 06:14 PM
We need a good hurry up offense.

We could use a TE,TE, WR , WR, HB.
Saunders , Miller, Wallace,Brown, best HB available. If we can get the TEs more involved in the passing game we could run from this formation and pass.

And the second we see the opposing front 7 getting gassed will add a WR or 2 to amp up the speed

It's a copy cat league and it's been working for the pats saints packs

Moose
01-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Capitalize on the opponents weaknesses....bad run defense, then run the ball down their throats and up their asses, bad pass defense, then throw the ball all over the field, short passes and long passes. Keep scoring on the opponent all game long, NO play to not lose crap. If we can win 50 - 0 then let's win 50-0 !! NO MORE conservative crap. Let's pound the hell out of the defense of the opponent. Go back to some ' trick ' plays. Let's mix some stuff up and keep the opponent guessing. That's all I've got for now.

SteelGhost
01-30-2012, 08:01 PM

This is an excellent post Mr. O' :applaudit:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-30-2012, 08:15 PM
:high5: Good post.

pepsyman1
01-31-2012, 03:22 AM
I have simple desires. Gameplan for our strengths and attack whatever our opponents weakness is be it on the ground or through the air. (we have the skill players for both) Be able to adjust during the game and score a very reasonable 25 points per game

ALLD
01-31-2012, 05:26 PM
To reverse the tables and have the offense bail out the defense for a change.