PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Turbulent Offseason Isn't A Six-Win Death Sentence

polamalubeast
07-08-2010, 06:32 AM
http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2010/7/8/1555859/how-many-games-will-the-steelers-win-in-2010

Steelers' Turbulent Offseason Isn't A Six-Win Death Sentence
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, forlorn after reading one sports writer's prediction of a six-win season for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
By Pete Wilmoth - Contributor

Jul 8, 2010 - I would be remiss if I didn't address an article the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette ran over the holiday weekend, wherein Gene Collier suggests that the Pittsburgh Steelers, after a tumultuous offseason, are now a six-win team.

The article reads like a laundry list of all the unlucky breaks the franchise has endured in the past two and a half months. First there was the Santonio Holmes trade, and then the Achilles injury to Limas Sweed, further thinning the Pittsburgh receiving corps. Then - and you may have heard about this already - star quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was suspended for at least four games due to his second rape allegation in less than a year. To make matters worse, the Steelers lost starting right tackle Willie Colon to an Achilles injury last week.

It's been the worst offseason for the Steelers in recent memory. And when you list them rapid-fire like that, the turnover in quality personnel really can seem insurmountable.

Plus, if you're Collier, you get to do fun things like allude to the Illiad, since Sweed and Colon were both lost to Achilles injuries. (Get it? Collier is probably a former English major, like myself, so I'm hip to the occasional urge to wax literary - although I'd likely be citing authors at least 2,600 years younger than Homer. But likening Achilles' "mythic anger" to injury bug casualties like Sweed and Colon, just because there's a cute rhetorical link? I know these are the dog days of the offseason and we've got white space to fill, but puh-leaze.)

Oh - Collier also gets to suggest that guys like Colon shouldn't be working on their agility during the offseason for fear of tweaking that tricky tendon. Probably shouldn't bench press, either. Don't want to tear a pectoral. And no eating. Don't wanna choke. Liquid diets for all the big fellas on the offensive and defensive lines! It should be really fun for Ravens fans to watch Haloti Ngata line up against Christian Bale from The Machinist.

But I digress.

My real qualm with Collier's article is its almost maddening pessimism. I'm a life-long Steelers fan, but I can remain impartial enough to concede that Pittsburgh's turbulent offseason just might result in a middling regular season and a second consecutive year without the Black & Gold in the playoffs.

But six wins? Again: puh-leaze.

Collier's argument amounts to little more than the aforementioned laundry list of offseason wreckage while counting backward, like a child who's "it" in a game of hide-and-seek, from the Steelers' 2009 nine-win mark:

They were a 9-win team a year ago, with the quarterback generally upright and relatively upstanding. They were probably an 8-win team with the departure of Santonio Tweeter-dumb Holmes, probably a 7-win team in light of the formerly-upstanding quarterback's four- to six-week suspension. They look like maybe a 6-win team with Colon's Achilles unstrung.

Overreactions like this must be defused.

It hurts to lose a talent like Holmes, sure, but Mike Wallace showed last year that he can play. If the second-year receiver has improved his route-running even a little bit in the offseason, he should prove an adequate successor.

The Steelers also have two solid-if-unspectacular veteran wideouts (Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle) who are capable of making plays in the slot, and a couple of rookie receivers (Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown) who have impressed so far and could contribute down the stretch. And let's not forget reliable options Hines Ward and Heath Miller.

If losing Holmes is the zombie apocalypse, the Steelers certainly aren't the paranoid guy who's spent months stocking his basement pantry with beefaroni and reinforcing his windows with wooden planks. But they're at least the guy with the third-story apartment who just went to the grocery store. I'm not saying the offense won't miss Holmes, just that there's enough depth to deal with the situation.

Losing Roethlisberger hurts, but not as much as it might have. That NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell issued the quarterback's suspension so early was a blessing. When the Steelers kick off their season on September 12th, they will have had all the time they could have possibly wanted to prepare Big Ben's replacement (it's looking more and more each day like it'll be Byron Leftwich) to step in for a month.

Now, I say "for a month," because there is no way Roethlisberger stays suspended beyond Week 4. Both the quarterback and the franchise will jump through whatever hoops Goodell shoves in front of them in order to minimize the suspension. And with the first month featuring only one legitimately frightening matchup (Week 4 against the Baltimore Ravens), the Steelers are primed to weather Roethlisberger's absence with a 2-2 record in an absolute worst-case scenario (the upstart Atlanta Falcons could give Pittsburgh some trouble in Week 1).

Whatever September's outcome, the Steelers will still have a great quarterback on their side for the majority of the season.

Admittedly, Colon's loss concerns me even more than those of Holmes or Roethlisberger. Assuming the Steelers don't make a move to reinforce their offensive line - like signing free agent tackle Flozell Adams - it looks like the competition to replace Colon will come down to Trai Essex, Ramon Foster, and Jonathan Scott. Other reports say it could be rookie first-rounder Maurkice Pouncey.

The point is no one knows how this will turn out just yet. Once training camp and the preseason are in the books, we may have a better idea of the situation, but with a position like offensive tackle that's so difficult to evaluate statistically, it's likely we won't truly grasp the significance of losing Colon until the games that matter.

But just like Pittsburgh's efforts to replace Roethlisberger, the quest to find the best stand-in for Colon doesn't need to be rushed. The Steelers have plenty of time to figure something out.

Moreover, there are some facts Collier has really neglected in assessing the allegedly doomed Steelers. First of all, the team's best player - some guy named Troy Polamalu - appears to be healthy and ready to take the field in 2010. His absence for most of last season was an enormous part of Pittsburgh's vulnerability to the pass.

Anyway, I don't need to get into what kind of difference this guy can make on the field. You've all seen the highlight reels. You know what a healthy Polamalu is capable of.

Pittsburgh's nine-win mark from last year, the starting point that gets Collier to his six-win, doomsday prediction, also deserves consideration. The 2009 season is but a blip in the rear-view mirror, and it's been dissected to death by a number of sources - so I'll keep this short.

The Steelers didn't lose by more than two scores all season, and shoddy play from special teams - a very fixable facet of the game - was often the culprit in these closely contested matchups.

What's more, while Pittsburgh dropped games to teams they undoubtedly should have beaten (the Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, and Cleveland Browns), they also proved capable of besting elite talent, teams like the San Diego Chargers, Minnesota Vikings, Green Bay Packers, and Baltimore Ravens, all of whom are popular preseason Super Bowl picks for 2010.

The Steelers' offseason has been a train wreck, yes, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Check back next week for a game-by-game breakdown of what to reasonably expect from the Steelers in the upcoming season. (Hint: it's more than six wins!)

SirHulka
07-08-2010, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=polamalubeast;22221]

What's more, while Pittsburgh dropped games to teams they undoubtedly should have beaten (the Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, and Cleveland Browns), they also proved capable of besting elite talent, teams like the San Diego Chargers, Minnesota Vikings, Green Bay Packers, and Baltimore Ravens, all of whom are popular preseason Super Bowl picks for 2010.[QUOTE]

Therein lies the crux of the situation. Focus. They got up for the big teams, and laid down for the ones they should have beaten. IF (a mighty big little word) they don't focus better, and IF Polamalu goes down again, (He has been a bit fragile the last couple of years) then 6 IS a real possibility. But since TC hasn't even started yet, ANY prediction is premature.

solardave
07-08-2010, 08:04 AM
This makes much more sense than the Sky is Falling Numbnuts (Collier). Replacing Colon will be our biggest challenge. Holmes who? Already have a better receiver in Wallace. Wait and see. Everyone thinks Baltimore is a threat in week 4 but I don't. I think we kick their asses on our way to a 4-0 start!
I'm not backing down from my prediction of 14-2 because I sincerely believe we are capable and we are due for some luck in the way of a healthy Troy, Aaron,and Lawrence. Not to mention young guys like Pouncey,Ziggy, and the rookie LBs helping out on STs. We got it all in the palm of our hands and no one sees it. That's OK.

Killer
07-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Pete Wilmoth

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/author_profile_images/741/n19001813_30619839_5004_medium.jpg
Contributor

I grew up in Wheeling, WV a life-long Steelers fan. Currently, I'm working in Charleston, WV researching tax policy for a small think-tank

Way to go Pete - WV Steelers fans at least are more upbeat than the Pittsburgh press.

SteelGhost
07-08-2010, 10:58 AM

What's more, while Pittsburgh dropped games to teams they undoubtedly should have beaten (the Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, and Cleveland Browns), they also proved capable of besting elite talent, teams like the San Diego Chargers, Minnesota Vikings, Green Bay Packers, and Baltimore Ravens, all of whom are popular preseason Super Bowl picks for 2010.[QUOTE]

Therein lies the crux of the situation. Focus. They got up for the big teams, and laid down for the ones they should have beaten. IF (a mighty big little word) they don't focus better, and IF Polamalu goes down again, (He has been a bit fragile the last couple of years) then 6 IS a real possibility. But since TC hasn't even started yet, ANY prediction is premature.

Sorry but I have to disagree here SirHulka, it is NOT a "real possibility" for the Steeler Nation, our expectations are higher.

:tt02: :tt03:

BlastFurnace
07-08-2010, 02:38 PM

That has been a problem with the Steelers for years. That is why I believe that they won it in 2008. Other than the Bungals and Browns, they had no easy games. Even the Super Bowl, was against some of their former coaches, so the blood was pumping for that one too.

This team needs adversity and an edge to be successful. It's been proven time and time again.

HughC
07-08-2010, 02:53 PM
A couple of things:

Collier is being a contrarian, trying to stir up a bit of controversy in order to sell newspaper and generate more web hits. That results in more ad revenue; mission accomplished.

Second, the main point of his article is not that the Steelers could be a 6-10 team; it's about the risk versus reward: the benefit of offseason workouts versus the risk of injuries. Unfortunately the question of whether 300 pound linemen should workout or rest in May and June got lost because he felt compelled to throw that prediction in there.

HughC
07-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I figured it would make more sense to post this here rather than start another thread about somebody's prediction on how the Steelers will do this season. This is from a Baltimore paper; they didn't go in depth at all and are predicting an 8-8 season. They're going to end up doing one on all of the Ravens' opponents; I'll be curious to see what they say about each of their other opponents too.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/07/early_scouting_report_pittsburgh_steelers.html

Early scouting report: Pittsburgh Steelers
The Sun will take a look at all 13 of the Ravens' 2010 opponents. Today's early scouting report is on the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Ravens’ opponent in Week 4 and Week 13:

Head coach: Mike Tomlin (34-18 overall record)

2009 record: 9-7

Biggest addition: Bringing in Byron Leftwich to become the starting QB for at least the first quarter of the season. Ben Roethlisberger has been suspended for at least the first four games of the season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. If this change doesn’t turn the Steelers into a run-heavy offense again, nothing will.

Key loss: Trading away WR Santonio Holmes. He was shipped because the Steelers didn’t want to deal with another player being suspended. It was good for the image of the franchise. It was bad for the offense, which lost its best playmaking wide receiver.

Question mark: Who plays right tackle for the Steelers? Willie Colon is suddenly out for the season with a torn Achilles' tendon. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette suggests that Pittsburgh will replace him with Jonathan Scott, who started eight games last season for the Buffalo Bills. The Steelers have also met with Flozell Adams, the former Dallas Cowboys lineman whose play has declined over the past few seasons.

Projected 2010 finish: 8-8, second in the AFC North. This just doesn’t seem to be the Steelers’ year, from the suspension of Roethlisberger to the trade of Holmes to the season-ending injury to Colon. Breaking even should be considered a success.

VTsteel
07-09-2010, 07:09 AM
[QUOTE=SirHulka;22229]This team needs adversity and an edge to be successful. It's been proven time and time again.

I completely agree. When we fly under the radar or have an uphill battle . . . That's when we usually do very well. Those seasons when we were "supposed to do well" those were the disapointing seasons. I see this adversity as a blessing. I hope the rest of the league (and specifically our division) see us as a 6 win team. I believe this will serve us very well in the end.

Burghfan58
07-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Ben misses 4 games. Steelers split and face the Brownies at 2-2 coming off bye week. I can live with that.

HometownGal
07-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Way to go Pete - WV Steelers fans at least are more upbeat than the Pittsburgh press.

I agree. :drink: The Pittsburgh press is so damned doom and gloom about everything that it tends to infect some of the fans who suck up their every word and develop that barf-bag sky is falling mentality.

I think this team knows all too well from last season that they need to rise up from the face of adversity instead of wearing that huge chip on their shoulders and feeling that games against teams of lesser talent are "gimmes". The coaching staff MUST keep their heads on straight and their confidence and desire to win burning.

If losing Holmes is the zombie apocalypse, the Steelers certainly aren't the paranoid guy who's spent months stocking his basement pantry with beefaroni and reinforcing his windows with wooden planks.

I almost peed myself reading this. :lol: :rofl: Dude definitely has a way with words.

Very nice read and he's spot-on. :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
07-10-2010, 12:14 PM
I just think that people saying we will get only 6 wins is a slap in the face. We are the Steelers and we will win more then 6.

Kaeg
07-10-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm surprised the article in the Baltimore Sun has us at 2nd in AFCN with 8 wins. Since I'm assuming they are winning it in their estimation, they must think even less of the Bengals than they do us.