PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Keith Butler to interview for Colt's DC

Shoes
01-29-2012, 10:14 AM
This isn't good if true..

New Colts coach Chuck Pagano is raiding his former AFC North rivals in order to build his new staff.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler will become Pagano’s defensive coordinator in Indianapolis. Butler will fly to Indianapolis on Tuesday to review and sign the contract. The team is also expected to hire Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator after the Steelers made him “retire.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/29/keith-butler-expected-to-become-colts-defensive-coordinator/

polamalubeast
01-29-2012, 10:18 AM
damn

ShutDown24
01-29-2012, 10:25 AM
:smash:

stillers4me
01-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Everybody wants to be us. :noidea:

The Duke
01-29-2012, 10:30 AM
well that sucks

though I can now see Lake as the DC of the future, if LeBeau stays another 2 years

It seems certain Pagano is going with the 3-4, at least soon. Where does that leave Mathis and Freeney??

ShutDown24
01-29-2012, 10:30 AM
http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/4882-keith-butler-steelers-linebacker-coach-new-dc/

Colts fans are loving it. Pagano really is putting together a nice staff.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-29-2012, 10:38 AM
well that sucks

though I can now see Lake as the DC of the future, if LeBeau stays another 2 years

It seems certain Pagano is going with the 3-4, at least soon. Where does that leave Mathis and Freeney??
If he goes 3-4, he has Moala at end, Freeney lines up at Olb, but gonna need a NT. Ta amu could be their round 2 pick.

Bluecoat96
01-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Well shit....that sucks.

ShutDown24
01-29-2012, 10:46 AM
The team probably won't re-sign Mathis (who is a FA) and Freeney should be able to play Outside Backer in a 34. Really all they need is a Nose and they can probaly field an OK 34 starting lineup. Give Hughes a chance opposite Freeney and the pass rush should be passable. Sign a few big bodies for depth at End and the secondary will be what it is.

If I'm the Colts and I like Robert Griffin, I look hard at trying to acquire more picks and move down in the draft. With another first or second round pick you could come away with a great first day worth of players.

stillers4me
01-29-2012, 10:49 AM
HOLD THE PRESSES!

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette

#Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Steelers) LB coach Keith Butler to interview Tuesday for Colts coordinator job. Butler says it's not a done deal.

ShutDown24
01-29-2012, 10:51 AM
HOLD THE PRESSES!

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette

#Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Steelers) LB coach Keith Butler to interview Tuesday for Colts coordinator job. Butler says it's not a done deal.

Sure hope Butler doesn't like what he sees. He has stuck around this long waiting for LeBeau why bolt at the last minute?

fansince'76
01-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Wish they would've denied the Colts permission to speak to him like they did when Whisenhunt tried to pluck him last year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-29-2012, 10:57 AM
HOLD THE PRESSES!

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette

Thanks, I knew its not official until Rob Lowe tweets it!!
I dont trust that weasel Schefter.

stillers4me
Wish they would've denied the Colts permission to speak to him like they did when Whisenhunt tried to pluck him last year.

The Steelers prevented Butler (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/08/horton-hears-a-job-offer-from-the-cowboys/) from taking a coordinator job with the Cardinals in the past, but his contract was up this year.

Let's just hope Butler wants to stay in Pittsburgh real bad, or doesn't think the situation in Indy looks promising. Bad enough to take less money and wait it out. Can't blame him if the doesn't, though.

ShutDown24

I still don't understand how the Steelers did that. For a promotional opportunity I didn't think league rules allowed current employers to stop a coach from exploring other teams? Only for lateral moves.

The Duke
01-29-2012, 10:59 AM
HOLD THE PRESSES!

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette

looking as some of his history, he goes way back with Pagano. Arians too

he would have to really hate the place not to take the job

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-29-2012, 11:04 AM
looking as some of his history, he goes way back with Pagano. Arians too

he would have to really hate the place not to take the job

Or know that he gets the Steelers DC job after this season. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you dont.

The Colts need to overhaul their defensive personnel to run a 3-4, the Steelers have a lot of good pieces in place already for the future on Defense.

stillers4me
01-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette
Butler says his contract with #steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23steelers) ends 2/15 and #Colts (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Colts) received permission to talk to him

stillers4me
01-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Gerry Dulac@gerrydulac
Keith Butler said he hasn't signed any contract or even been offered job as def coordinator in Indy. Going there Tuesday for interview.

stillers4me
01-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette
(Bouchette@EdBouchette)Butler turned down #Dolphins (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23Dolphins) DC job two years ago to stay with #steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23steelers)

tube517
01-29-2012, 11:28 AM
This sucks. I hope Carnell gets DC when LeBeau retires

stillers4me
01-29-2012, 11:29 AM
This sucks. I hope Carnell gets DC when LeBeau retires
He's only coached one year. You would really want him to take over LeBeau"s defense?

Psycho Ward 86
01-29-2012, 11:33 AM
frickin NBC, reporting things before theyve actually happened

stillers4me
01-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Gerry Dulac@gerrydulac
Keith Butler has a stated agreement he is def coordinator in waiting when Dick LeBeau retires. It is not written in is contract.

The Duke
01-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Or know that he gets the Steelers DC job after this season. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you dont.

The Colts need to overhaul their defensive personnel to run a 3-4, the Steelers have a lot of good pieces in place already for the future on Defense.

if LeBeau gave him confirmation he's leaving after the season I have no doubt Butler would wait

but the man really seems nowhere near retiring

86WARD
01-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Would be a bad move for Pittsburgh!

LLT
01-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Its ESPN official now...He is gone.

stillers4me
01-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Its ESPN official now...He is gone.

He hasn't even interviewed yet.

LLT
01-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Still trying to find it somewhere other than on the radio...this is all I got so far.

Colts Take Another From Pittsburgh; Keith Butler-Linebacker Coach to Be Named Defensive Coordinator
RantSport.com
Indianapolis, IN

Chuck Pagano and Ryan Grigson go to work right away in forming this new coaching staff for the Colts with a new hire. A day after the Indy found their offensive coordinator, they found their defensive coordinator- Keith Butler.

Butler began coaching with the Steelers under Bill Cowher, and has been coaching linebackers for the past nine seasons. The former Seattle Seahawks linebacker has coached an impressive roster of impact ‘backers for the Steelers, including defensive player of the year in 2008 James Harrison.

The hiring of Butler adds another experienced coach of the 3-4 defense to join Pagano. The rebuilding Colts appear ready to completely remake the defense that has been a problem for Indianapolis. The Colts could get Butler way from the Steelers because of his contract was up.

With the signing of Butler, it means the new Colts have stolen two coaches from the Pittsburgh Steelers. Butler was the linebacker coach and very instrumental in forming the hard hitting, blitz happy, linebacker crew they had in Pittsburgh.

Read More.... http://www.rantsports.com/indianapolis-colts/2012/01/29/colts-take-another-from-pittsburgh-keith-butler-linebacker-coach-to-be-named-defensive-coordinator/

Shoes
01-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm sorry Pittsburgh let it go this far.....

stillers4me
01-29-2012, 12:50 PM

Are they supposed to hold him hostage until Dick LeBeau drops over?

LLT
01-29-2012, 12:51 PM
He hasn't even interviewed yet.

That was my understanding also. What I just heard was that he has agreed to take the job and is flying to Indy this week to sign the contract

Shoes
01-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Are they supposed to hold him hostage until Dick LeBeau drops over?

yes..... :chuckle:

LLT
01-29-2012, 12:53 PM

You can only offer the man so much.....No one wants to see LeBeau go and you cant blame Butler for reaching for his dreams. I'm happy for him.

LLT
01-29-2012, 12:56 PM
The ESPN report

Sources: Keith Butler to join Colts' staff
By Adam Schefter
ESPN

Not only do the Indianapolis Colts plan to add former Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to their staff, but Indianapolis also plans to hire Keith Butler, Pittsburgh's linebackers coach, as its defensive coordinator, according to league sources.

Butler is planning to fly to Indianapolis on Tuesday to review and sign the contract that will make him a part of former Ravens defensive coordinator and current Colts head coach Chuck Pagano's staff.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7516360/pittsburgh-steelers-lbs-coach-keith-butler-run-indianapolis-colts-d-sources-say

stillers4me
01-29-2012, 12:57 PM
yes..... :chuckle:

well, ok then. :chuckle:

stillers4me
01-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Truth be told, I believe Eddy Bouchetty over a blogger.

Steelers could lose another coach to Colts
Sunday, January 29, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers linebacker coach Keith Butler said today he will interview on Tuesday in Indianapolis to become the Colts' defensive coordinator.
Butler turned down an offer two years ago to be the Miami Dolphins' defensive coordinator to stay with the Steelers. However, his contract with them expires Feb. 15, and the Steelers gave the Colts permission to talk to him about joining new head coach Chuck Pagano.
Butler said today he will listen to what the Colts have to say, but that him leaving the Steelers "is not a done deal." If he does become the Colts' defensive coordinator, he would join former Steelers colleague Bruce Arians, who accepted the job to be the Indianapolis offensive coordinator over the weekend.
Butler, 55, has been the Steelers' linebackers coach since 2003.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12029/1206874-66.stm#ixzz1ksJo7bAf

Steeltreal
01-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Take a poll to see who'd rather have Lebeau retire and Keith Butler promoted to DC. OR revamp the defense in 2 years to something totally new

Chidi29
01-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Can't blame Butler. Been worthy of a DC job for several years and you can only wait around for so long before you get frustrated and jump on the chances you know you'll get.

Really hope Mitchell stays or the defense is going to look a lot different, both in coaching staff and players. Not a good thing for a team that has been all about stability defensively for a long time.

smokin3000gt
01-29-2012, 01:19 PM
going to be a very interesting season...

LLT
01-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Truth be told, I believe Eddy Bouchetty over a blogger.

I totally agree...but what I am hearing on ESPN radio seems to confirm that he has agreed to take the position. They were talking about it like its a done deal. I will keep my ears open and keep checking the internet...see if I cant find something concrete.

stillers4me
01-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora (Canfora@JasonLaCanfora)Steelers LB Coach Keith Butler to interview w/Colts on Tues. PIT been negotiating to keep him. He is successor to Dick LeBeau #insideslant (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/search?q=%23insideslant)

Austin87
01-29-2012, 01:30 PM
I'll be happy for Butler if he takes the job, but I will also be sad to see him go.

Edman
01-29-2012, 01:32 PM
This is what happens when you hold onto a fossil for too long.

Don't blame him for leaving. Best of luck to Keith. He deserves a chance.

SteelerFanInStl
01-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Still trying to find it somewhere other than on the radio...this is all I got so far.

Colts Take Another From Pittsburgh; Keith Butler-Linebacker Coach to Be Named Defensive Coordinator
RantSport.com
Indianapolis, IN

Chuck Pagano and Ryan Grigson go to work right away in forming this new coaching staff for the Colts with a new hire. A day after the Indy found their offensive coordinator, they found their defensive coordinator- Keith Butler.

Butler began coaching with the Steelers under Bill Cowher, and has been coaching linebackers for the past nine seasons. The former Seattle Seahawks linebacker has coached an impressive roster of impact ‘backers for the Steelers, including defensive player of the year in 2008 James Harrison.

The hiring of Butler adds another experienced coach of the 3-4 defense to join Pagano. The rebuilding Colts appear ready to completely remake the defense that has been a problem for Indianapolis. The Colts could get Butler way from the Steelers because of his contract was up.

With the signing of Butler, it means the new Colts have stolen two coaches from the Pittsburgh Steelers. Butler was the linebacker coach and very instrumental in forming the hard hitting, blitz happy, linebacker crew they had in Pittsburgh.

Read More.... http://www.rantsports.com/indianapolis-colts/2012/01/29/colts-take-another-from-pittsburgh-keith-butler-linebacker-coach-to-be-named-defensive-coordinator/

Stolen? :lol: Arians was FIRED.

I won't blame Butler for leaving. He can't wait forever for LeBeau to retire and he deserves a chance to be a DC.

fansince'76
01-29-2012, 01:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvxCRp4

Edman
01-29-2012, 02:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvxCRp4

Look on the bright side. Here comes Steel-faced Jim Caldwell to fix the Offense.

The WH
01-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Do you, for the sake of the future, ask Lebeau to step aside and give Keith Butler the reigns? Can Lebeau stay around long enough to groom another person?

LLT
01-29-2012, 02:31 PM

Don't blame him for leaving. Best of luck to Keith. He deserves a chance.

Lets all not jump the gun too quickly. It DOES appear that their has been a verbal agreement of some kind behind closed doors...but Sue is right. There are conflicting reports coming in right now. I would gather that the conflict is between those who are saying that he is hired becuse he has verbally agreed and those who are sahying that he isnt hired because he hasnt officially signed anything.

I would take a "wait and see" approach at this time.

ALLD
01-29-2012, 02:58 PM
You can speculate all you want, but nothing is official until Tuesday.

BlastFurnace
01-29-2012, 03:53 PM
if LeBeau gave him confirmation he's leaving after the season I have no doubt Butler would wait

but the man really seems nowhere near retiring

Butler wants his shot. Can't blame him for taking it with some coaches that he is comfortable with.

Hope he stays though.

Steeldude
01-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Can't blame Butler. Been worthy of a DC job for several years and you can only wait around for so long before you get frustrated and jump on the chances you know you'll get.

Really hope Mitchell stays or the defense is going to look a lot different, both in coaching staff and players. Not a good thing for a team that has been all about stability defensively for a long time.

i would rather have lake as the DC if butler leaves and when lebeau retires

ALLD
01-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Make Butler the new OC? That experiment has already been tried.

XxKnightxX
01-29-2012, 05:12 PM
You know how much different things would have been if we had won the SB last year? If hes gone for sure, and Lebeau is ready to retire. Im sure well be able to find a replacement, or hell Tomlin will be licking his chops and going to the 4-3.

Steeldude
01-29-2012, 05:41 PM
IMO, if butler leaves, olsavsky should be appointed the new LB coach

Chidi29
01-29-2012, 05:42 PM
i would rather have lake as the DC if butler leaves and when lebeau retires

It could be a totally different person not on the coaching staff. Mitchell won't be the DC. He's close to retirement, too. Wonder how Olavasky has been doing at quality control. Maybe he'll get a promotion.

Chidi29
01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
IMO, if butler leaves, olsavsky should be appointed the new LB coach

Ha, took my idea.

st33lersguy
01-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Interesting how the Colts are trying to turn into Steelers midwest and this time their newly hired head coach is from Baltimore.

steelpride12
01-29-2012, 07:56 PM
So the Cards now the Colts are going to be the Steelers of the West and Mid-West huh. Seems like greatness is contagious.

steelerdude15
01-29-2012, 10:03 PM
I heard on a Ravens forum he accepted, but I haven't seen anything online proving this.

JayC
01-29-2012, 10:08 PM
bummer. i would have liked him to replace lebeau this offseason but that's not happening. he's been waiting like 3+ years so i don't blame him for leaving.

Psycho Ward 86
01-29-2012, 10:09 PM
ok im confused, im reading all of this and i still dont know....is Butler gone or not???

LLT
01-30-2012, 04:50 AM
ok im confused, im reading all of this and i still dont know....is Butler gone or not???

It appears that there is some sort of verbal agreement that he will take the job....but nothing seems to be official yet and probably wont be until Tuesday.

suitanim
01-30-2012, 05:37 AM
Hmmmmmm...

Maybe Rooney should step in and make it a clean sweep, and fire LeBeau. He can always blame it on Tomlin.

That way we can hire Butler as our DC ourselves.

SMR
01-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Everybody wants to be us. :noidea:

EXACTLY! We have Whiz's Steelers of the West and now this! I'm getting annoyed and tired of this!

st33lersguy
01-30-2012, 05:35 PM
EXACTLY! We have Whiz's Steelers of the West and now this! I'm getting annoyed and tired of this!

Actually it is quite flattering that teams want to be like us, besides how does it harm us? The Cardinals have been doing it since 2007 and while we have still gone to Super Bowls they have had very little success when Kurt Warner was not the quarterback