PDA

View Full Version : Bettis speaks out about Big Ben

polamalubeast
07-08-2010, 06:24 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_689401.html

Bettis speaks out about Big Ben
By Jerry DiPaola, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, July 8, 2010

Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis shared a tee box Wednesday with some of the greatest names in golf, laughing with Arnold Palmer and hitting long drives onto the slick fairways of Oakmont Country Club with Cristie Kerr and Paula Creamer.

But when the celebrity exhibition ended and he stashed away his big driver — adorned with his signature No. 36 — he had a warning for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Asked what Roethlisberger must do to win back fans after twice being accused of sexual assault in the past year, Bettis said there is no easy answer for his former teammate.

"It is a situation where he has to prove his heart is in the right place," Bettis said. "And I know from knowing Ben that his heart is in the right place."

Bettis joined Roethlisberger in the Steelers' backfield in 2004 and '05, retiring after winning Super Bowl XL. He said he shares text messages with Roethlisberger but has not spoken with him this year.

If asked, he would offer the following advice:

"He has to keep his head down, play hard and give back to the community," said Bettis, 38. "If he does that, slowly but surely, he will be able to work through the process."

Another warning: "It is not going to be a quick fix."

Bettis said the Steelers could be embarking on a tough season, especially with Roethlisberger suspended for at least the first four games.

"They have an uphill battle," he said.

He pointed to the season-ending Achilles injury suffered by right tackle Willie Colon, which could weaken the ground game while it must compensate for the absence of Roethlisberger.

"The running game is going to have to sustain this team until Ben comes back," Bettis said. "Now, the question mark is the offensive line and how well they perform without having their anchor. It is going to be difficult, but it gives (the Steelers) the chance to kind of be the underdogs. They haven't been the underdogs for a long time."

Bettis' Open warning

Playing golf is a priority in retirement for former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis, he said Wednesday at Oakmont Country Club.

"I play as much as I can. Golf is the only thing I have, being an old crippled man now," he joked to the gallery at the driving range for a celebrity exhibition.

Bettis had played Oakmont before, and he said his best score was 88.

"And I was fighting to get that," he said. "A lot of people say you have to get around your shoulders (on your swing). I have to get around my middle area."

He predicts the course will "chew everybody up" this week during the U.S. Women's Open.

"The person who wins is the person who hits the driver straight," he said. "And you have to have a good putter. If you don't putt here, you don't have a chance, even if you hit every green."

SirHulka
07-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Yeah, well it isn't his heart that has people worried.

solardave
07-08-2010, 08:14 AM
He's right. Ben has to prove that he wants to change and make things right. We all know what Ben can do on and off the field. It's the off the field behavior that has to change. If I were him I'd start by making amends whenever I could. He seems to be doing that so we have to give him the chance.
On the field will take care of itself.

SirHulka
07-08-2010, 08:52 AM
We'll see. He deserves a second chance, but only time will tell if he truly learned anything. The REAL test will come next off-season. Idle hands are the Devils workshop. Ben ought to hang that saying over his bathroom mirror.

Killer
07-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Would Jerome even be in the news if the comments weren't about Ben?

Stop riding Ben's coattails into the press.

Tell the fucking reporters "no comment" or "it's none of my business" the next time anybody asks.

vasteeler
07-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Tell the fucking reporters "no comment" or "it's none of my business" the next time anybody asks.

ding ding ding ding

SteelGhost
07-08-2010, 10:44 AM

:amen: to that !

GoSlash27
07-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I think the Bus is qualified to speak on this matter since he was also wrongly accused of rape. Difference is he had already established a reputation for being a classy guy, while Big Ben has established a reputation for having very poor judgement.

steeldawg
07-08-2010, 04:50 PM
should someone really have to make amends for something they didnt do. And he has to change? change what? The only thing Ben owes Pittsburgh is to keep throwing touchdowns and winning because thats what he's paid to do.

SteelCityMan786
07-08-2010, 04:59 PM
should someone really have to make amends for something they didnt do. And he has to change? change what? The only thing Ben owes Pittsburgh is to keep throwing touchdowns and winning because thats what he's paid to do.

And to represent the community in the best possible manner. Something that some athletes don't realize now a days is the fact that they are "PR" people for their organization to. It doesn't matter what the level is.

steeldawg
07-08-2010, 05:17 PM
And to represent the community in the best possible manner. Something that some athletes don't realize now a days is the fact that they are "PR" people for their organization to. It doesn't matter what the level is.

So its ok for people in the community to go to a bar on there birthday get drunk and chase girls but not Ben. If there was no allegation would it even be an issue.

Killer
07-08-2010, 05:17 PM
The wound will never heal if you keep picking at the scab.

steeldawg
07-08-2010, 05:19 PM
but its fun to debate

Killer
07-08-2010, 05:20 PM
What debate? It's over and done.

Time to move on to training camp.

steeldawg
07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I can multitask

Killer
07-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Naturally, the NFL Channel breathlessly reports the Bettis quote about the evil Ben and how all the Steelers fans have abandoned him...blah blah blah

steeldawg
07-08-2010, 08:06 PM
We love you Ben.

kmsteelerwr15
07-08-2010, 11:10 PM
What debate? It's over and done.

Time to move on to training camp.

If only...

fansince'76
07-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Naturally, the NFL Channel breathlessly reports the Bettis quote about the evil Ben and how all the Steelers fans have abandoned him...blah blah blah

Yep. I'm sure the media will get at least another week's worth of mileage out of Bettis' "warning" to Ben. :blah: :blah: :blah:

steeldevil
07-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Thats the media at work for ya..... :upyours: :bs:

Shea
07-08-2010, 11:29 PM
So its ok for people in the community to go to a bar on there birthday get drunk and chase girls but not Ben. If there was no allegation would it even be an issue.

Ben isn't "people". His circumstance and position is much different than us average joes.

Shea
07-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Yep. I'm sure the media will get at least another week's worth of mileage out of Bettis' "warning" to Ben. :blah: :blah: :blah:

It's the offseason and it's the Steelers.

SteelGhost
07-09-2010, 09:36 AM
but its fun to debate

Hey dawg, a fresh debate is "funny", but BB's drama is a :deadhorse: already....

We NEED training camp to start ASAP :chuckle:

There are a lot more stuff to pay attention to than Da Bus and fricking media comments about BB, our RT for the 2010 season, the "new" WR corps, the return of BMac, Maurkize Pouncey come to mind.

SteelMember
07-09-2010, 11:36 AM
The wound will never heal if you keep picking at the scab.

and it will cause a scar... but you can always get something to conseal it to make it less obvious.

Wins make people forget pretty fast.

steeldawg
07-09-2010, 04:39 PM
i didnt post the thread

memphissteelergirl
07-10-2010, 06:12 PM
JB did not say anything that was not the truth. That said, I am SO ready for the focus to get back to football and training camp.