PDA

View Full Version : Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger Wants Answers From Art Rooney II

86WARD
01-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has questions about the direction of the Steelers' offense, and he plans to seek out team president Art Rooney II when he returns to Pittsburgh after playing in the Pro Bowl on Sunday night. "When I get back I'm going to go up to Mr. Rooney's office and ask him what he wants from me, what he wants from this offense, because I think that's a viable question for him," Roethlisberger said Thursday in an exclusive interview with the Tribune-Review following a light Pro Bowl practice. "He's our owner and our boss, so I really would like to know kind of what he wants and where he sees our offense going because I'd like to tell him where I see us going." The offense has become perhaps the biggest question mark in an offseason full of them for the Steelers. Bruce Arians, who has a close relationship with Roethlisberger, will not return after serving five seasons as the Steelers' offensive coordinator. The Steelers said Arians retired, but Arians said earlier this week that his contract had not been renewed. Arians was supposed to go to Hawaii as Roethlisberger's guest for the Pro Bowl, but pulled out after everything went down with Steelers.

Pittsburgh Tribune Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_778590.html)

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Just wait, Ben is gonna band together with Potsie, Hines and Suisham and go talk Rooney into bringing BA back. Its gonna be Favre-esque.

He's probably still bitter that ARII was shopping Ben around after the Milledgeville incident.

st33lersguy
01-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Ben is just mad because Arians gave Ben a lot of say in the offensive playcalling

Psycho Ward 86
01-26-2012, 10:30 PM
He's probably still bitter that ARII was shopping Ben around after the Milledgeville incident.

There were no reliable sources to my recollection that said that. those were the same sources that said the Steelers were trying to trade Ben for the 1st overall pick to get Sam Bradford

tube517
01-26-2012, 10:34 PM
What he should really do is ask for some more help in the OL. That will solve some of the problems. A better running game and more time for Ben would help them in the red zone.

7willBheaven
01-26-2012, 10:41 PM
I just feel its all being taken out of context. Some are making it sound like Ben is going to go on a tirade and going to march into Rooney's office/etc and DEMAND answers/etc. Ben just wants to know what the boss wants to do, simple as that.

tube517
01-26-2012, 10:47 PM
I just feel its all being taken out of context. Some are making it sound like Ben is going a tirade and going to march into Rooney's office/etc and DEMAND answers/etc. Ben just wants to know what the boss wants to do, simple as that.

I agree with you.

But don't worry, the press and the internet community will not overdramatize the whole situation. :sarcasm:

steelreserve
01-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Just wait, Ben is gonna band together with Potsie, Hines and Suisham and go talk Rooney into bringing BA back. Its gonna be Favre-esque.

Rooney: "lol. Why are you three telling me this? You're not on the team anymore either."

That would be the classy way to let the veterans know their careers with the team are over.

ShutDown24
01-27-2012, 04:22 AM
The media has been ridiculously misleading on this one. Ben isn't going to go storming into Art Rooney's office throwing a tantrum. Per usual people are just taking a headline and running with assumptions. Ben wants to have a discussion with Rooney about the direction in which the offense is heading. To me it sounds like Ben has legitimate questions; not demands - as it is being spun.

Listen to the audio.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/01/26/roethlisberger-to-meet-with-rooney-about-offense/

HometownGal
01-27-2012, 04:40 AM
What he should really do is ask for some more help in the OL. That will solve some of the problems. A better running game and more time for Ben would help them in the red zone.

Bingo. :thumbsup:

suitanim
01-27-2012, 05:42 AM
(sigh)
More conspiracy theories.

Burghfan58
01-27-2012, 06:50 AM
I think Ben should of said He will get together with Art and TOMLIN to figure out what direction they want to go. After all he is the head coach.

zulater
01-27-2012, 06:53 AM
Roethlisberger said it will be an adjustment no matter who the Steelers hire as their next coordinator.

"Change is always different," Roethlisberger said. "It doesn't mean it's good or it's bad. You just don't know yet. I think the (Steelers') mind was made up, and B.A. was kind of ready to move on as well."

Said receiver Antonio Brown, who made the Pro Bowl as a kickoff returner, "I talked to (Roethlisberger) about it, but some things we can't change. All we can do is focus on what's upcoming, the new guy, ready for him to come in, learn his game plan and ride together so we can win football games."

Rooney said in a wide-ranging interview last week that the Steelers need to cut down on sacks. Rooney added that he would like to see Roethlisberger, who frequently holds onto the ball to extend plays, to "tweak" his game.

"From what I understood from that was, just not get hit to so much," said Roethlisberger, who was sacked 40 times in 15 regular-season games in 2011. "I think some of that's on me; some of that's on linemen. It's on everybody, so I'll put it on me and try to make those adjustments."

Read more: Quarterback Roethlisberger is looking for some answers from Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_778626.html#ixzz1kf91kmJ7

Doesn't come off as defiant to me? :noidea:

Dino 6 Rings
01-27-2012, 08:04 AM
While he's on his way to the office he can walk by the 6 Super Bowl Trophies...and not 6 passing title or 6 running title trophies...

Pristas
01-27-2012, 08:19 AM
While he's on his way to the office he can walk by the 6 Super Bowl Trophies...and not 6 passing title or 6 running title trophies...

Two of which wouldn't be there without Ben.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-27-2012, 09:48 AM
There were no reliable sources to my recollection that said that. those were the same sources that said the Steelers were trying to trade Ben for the 1st overall pick to get Sam Bradford I know, I should have inserted sarcasam smiley.

Rooney: "lol. Why are you three telling me this? You're not on the team anymore either."

That would be the classy way to let the veterans know their careers with the team are over.

That would be good, but the Rooney haters here already know that he put a note on their car windows in the parking lot.

Ben already got his buddies Colon and Starks back. Plus addition of Pouncey and Gilbert to the O line. Tough for him to demand more linemen, but nice to see them committ to establishing the run.

zulater
01-27-2012, 12:05 PM

Dino I don't get this of Ben. You've been trying to make this case that Ben's stat obsessed but I just don't see it. I think Ben wants to win first and foremost. If Ben was stat obsessed he'd be more inclined to build up his passer rating on underneath routes, and he'd be less inclined to throw the ball downfield or in traffic where it can be intercepted.

siss
01-27-2012, 12:33 PM
I am sure he is upset with losing his BFF. But Ben is (or has become) a team player. I think this is a reaction that anyone would have if they lost their boss or a supervisor the really respected and had a good relationship with. They want to know where the company is going. I don't think Ben is being defiant. Im sure it will be business as usual.

And to be honest if I HAD been the one who publicly stated that my 102 million dollar QB needed to tweak his game and he didn't come talk to me or blew me off, I would think something was wrong with him and he didn't care about what I, the man that signs those checks, wanted from my 102 million dollar franchise QB.

Dino 6 Rings
01-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Dino I don't get this of Ben. You've been trying to make this case that Ben's stat obsessed but I just don't see it. I think Ben wants to win first and foremost. If Ben was stat obsessed he'd be more inclined to build up his passer rating on underneath routes, and he'd be less inclined to throw the ball downfield or in traffic where it can be intercepted.

Here is what I think. I think Ben is going through the same growing pains that Tom Brady went through when he had Randy Moss to throw the ball to. He set the world on fire with passing stats and become obsessed with the deep ball and the highlight reel. It became all about Brady and what got lost is the fact that its a team and there are 3 phases of the game that are required to win Championships. Yes, you need a Franchise QB to make plays in the clutch, but he can't be obsessed with himself. I think that self obsession is what got Brady beaten in the SB and beaten in back to back years in the playoffs in the first round. I think Tom may have actually evolved now, to another level. He isn't throwing the ball deep as much, is taking whatever he is given on every play and is breaking the defense with throws to no name tight ends and half pint slot receivers and making play after play that isn't flashy for him, but is winning the team games. Tom's passes are ridiculously accurate and catchable but aren't making that many ESPN Highlights, basically, his throws from inside the 20 into the End Zone are all we see on highlights. Not the at his own 30 deep pass to Randy Moss caught at the other team's 10 yard line throw. (except the deep pass against the Ravens where Branch did in fact push off) Its all mid range to underneath accurate passing. Its not about highlights or yards, all the yards he's getting are YAC Yards now.

I think Manning also had his growing pains with being the "hero" and I think every QB that is Great does go through this. Favre just never got out of it. I hope Ben doesn't become like Brett Favre forgetting that hey, there are 51 other guys on the roster that are important to the win as well and sometimes, by attempting to be Legendary you fail because you are trying to be Legendary. Just be what you are and who you are do whatever it takes to win and in years from now, you'll be considered a Legend.

Ben is already legendary and is a Great QB. I just want him to be the BEST by being himself. By playing within himself and within the actual reality of each moment. A Playaction Pass Pump Fake Throw from your own endzone into Double Coverage in the Super Bowl when you are alread down by 7 is effing DUMB and GREEDY. Bottom line.

There are a ton of plays since the Santonio Holmes TD Catch in XLIII I can point to where Ben is being an effing moron and not just taking what was right in front of him. And I think its because he's Ego Driven at this point.

I'm a fan of his and want him to have 3 more rings before he calls it a career. I just hope it comes by him playing smarter football than he has been lately. In fact, the Cleveland game, where he got hurt...Dude...throw the effing ball...he held it for what? 10? 14 seconds? Its the NFL, No QB can expect to have that much time without being A. Arrogant, or B. Moronic. I'm leaning toward Arrogant.

So that's where I stand. I recognize that without him we still most likely only have 4 rings (unless you know we had drafted a different franchise QB) but I want more.

I'm a Greedy Fan. I Don't Deny It.

polamalubeast
01-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Roethlisberger Wants Meeting With Rooney After Pro Bowl

http://burgh.us/cde

SteelGhost
01-27-2012, 05:55 PM
I am sure he is upset with losing his BFF. But Ben is (or has become) a team player. I think this is a reaction that anyone would have if they lost their boss or a supervisor the really respected and had a good relationship with. They want to know where the company is going. I don't think Ben is being defiant. Im sure it will be business as usual.

And to be honest if I HAD been the one who publicly stated that my 102 million dollar QB needed to tweak his game and he didn't come talk to me or blew me off, I would think something was wrong with him and he didn't care about what I, the man that signs those checks, wanted from my 102 million dollar franchise QB.

Great post Siss :applaudit:

Why don't we WAIT and see how their meeting turns out ? :noidea:

zulater
01-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Ben is just mad because Arians gave Ben a lot of say in the offensive playcalling

In a way Ben reminds me of my 15 year old son and his friends. That being, I can generally tell you the amount of homework a teacher assigns by the popularity ( or lack thereof) they enjoy among my son and his friends. :chuckle:

Make of it what you will.

fansince'76
01-28-2012, 11:33 AM
The media has been ridiculously misleading on this one. Ben isn't going to go storming into Art Rooney's office throwing a tantrum. Per usual people are just taking a headline and running with assumptions. Ben wants to have a discussion with Rooney about the direction in which the offense is heading. To me it sounds like Ben has legitimate questions; not demands - as it is being spun.

Listen to the audio.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/01/26/roethlisberger-to-meet-with-rooney-about-offense/

Big surprise there. Time until "Roethlisberger demands trade!" rumors start in 5,4,3,2,1...

The WH
01-29-2012, 04:43 AM
I just feel its all being taken out of context. The title of the article purposely puts the rest of the article out of context.

suitanim
01-29-2012, 07:58 AM
I wonder who will get the blame for the plays that dont work now?

86WARD
01-29-2012, 08:30 AM
I don't really think people complain about the plays not working per say. I think people more or less complain about the same plays repeatedly not working...over and over and over and over and over. Or you could say more times than they do.

The WH
01-29-2012, 08:33 AM
I wonder who will get the blame for the plays that dont work now?if the play doesn't work once probably no one, but if it never works and they run 3 or more times a game....probably whoever called and or designed it.

Count Steeler
01-29-2012, 08:39 AM

Well, with our limited capacity to think critically, it has to be the next OC. If not, Tomlin or Ben.

suitanim
01-30-2012, 05:22 AM
I don't really think people complain about the plays not working per say. I think people more or less complain about the same plays repeatedly not working...over and over and over and over and over. Or you could say more times than they do.

Like the bubble screen. Which averaged 6 yards per play.

Well, with our limited capacity to think critically, it has to be the next OC. If not, Tomlin or Ben.
Critically like in assessing a 6-yard-averaging play like the bubble screen, which is really just a run play by a WR out on the edge?

Saying that play "Doesn't work" is proof of a failure to think critically. And I could go on and on...

Count Steeler
01-30-2012, 05:28 AM
Critically like in assessing a 6-yard-averaging play like the bubble screen, which is really just a run play by a WR out on the edge?

Saying that play "Doesn't work" is proof of a failure to think critically. And I could go on and on...

Hence the blame falling on the next OC, if not Tomlin or Ben. Actually, Rooney is going to be in the line of fire for the next few years, maybe until we win another SB.

GBMelBlount
01-30-2012, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by tube517

Hometowngal

Bingo.

Bingo Squared!

Dino 6 Rings
01-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Still bitter that you were eventually proven wrong in your love and admiration for our Old Offensive Coordinator that was forced out by the Front office that you were in love with until a week ago?

Its ok, I'll be blaming the OC again anyway and you can love the new one all over again and we argue over those play calls.

Of coarse, since you are the only one that knows anything about football on this board, you can be confident in the fact that you are always right and the rest of us haters are always wrong...isn't that nice? Stay Happy

The WH
01-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Like the bubble screen. Which averaged 6 yards per play. Where did you read that breakdown?

suitanim
01-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Still bitter that you were eventually proven wrong in your love and admiration for our Old Offensive Coordinator that was forced out by the Front office that you were in love with until a week ago?

Its ok, I'll be blaming the OC again anyway and you can love the new one all over again and we argue over those play calls.

Of coarse, since you are the only one that knows anything about football on this board, you can be confident in the fact that you are always right and the rest of us haters are always wrong...isn't that nice? Stay Happy

It only took me 4 years to wrong.

Good one.

You sure got me good.

Dino 6 Rings
01-30-2012, 08:35 AM
It only took me 4 years to wrong.

Good one.

You sure got me good.

Actually you have been wrong a lot over the last 6 years that I've been on boards with you but its cool, you go pat yourself on the back and attempt to talk down to all those you disagree with and that prove you wrong over and over again.

Dino 6 Rings
01-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Where did you read that breakdown?

Chidi posted it from a breakdown that was done on another site...I think SteelersDepot maybe.

Pristas
01-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Chidi posted it from a breakdown that was done on another site...I think SteelersDepot maybe.

There must have been like 3 or 4, 80 yard TD runs that happened in that game I didn't see to offset the 100 or so -3 to 1 yard gains. It's one thing to use this play when a good opportunity presents itself. It's another when d backs can predict the call and blow the route before Ben releases the ball, because we called the play sooooo much. The formation was even predictable, as was the timing of the call. This is exactly what was happening during the second half of the season. I would sit there and tell the TV, "please no bubble screen" and bam! there it was. When I can pick up on the bubble screen, it's definitely time for the Steelers to abandon the play.

suitanim
01-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Actually you have been wrong a lot over the last 6 years that I've been on boards with you but its cool, you go pat yourself on the back and attempt to talk down to all those you disagree with and that prove you wrong over and over again.

Unlike others, I have also been able to sack up and admit it.

But the anti-Arians crowd has been proclaiming that Arians was going to be fired after every season he's been the OC (even after winning SB's). So if being right like 1 out of 5 times trumps being right 4 out of 5, then I guess you're more right then me, and who could question the logic of 1>4?

Dino 6 Rings
01-30-2012, 10:09 AM

But the anti-Arians crowd has been proclaiming that Arians was going to be fired after every season he's been the OC (even after winning SB's). So if being right like 1 out of 5 times trumps being right 4 out of 5, then I guess you're more right then me, and who could question the logic of 1>4?

I never said he'd be fired, I just hated his philosphy and in game play calling. I actually didn't think he'd get fired this year and found it pleasantly surprising that his contract was not renewed.

GodfatherofSoul
01-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Like the bubble screen. Which averaged 6 yards per play.

Assuming that 6yds/play stat is right, we still need a little more info. For one, 6yds/play is a bad stat for a passing play. And, what's the completion percentage? And of incompletions, how many are backwards-pass fumbles?

Chidi29
01-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Assuming that 6yds/play stat is right, we still need a little more info. For one, 6yds/play is a bad stat for a passing play. And, what's the completion percentage? And of incompletions, how many are backwards-pass fumbles?

45 passes. Believe we were 40/45.

The Denver one was the only fumble I can think of.

GBMelBlount
01-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Assuming that 6yds/play stat is right, we still need a little more info.

For one, 6yds/play is a bad stat for a passing play.

And, what's the completion percentage? And of incompletions, how many are backwards-pass fumbles?

Why would you consider 6 yards per attempt bad? I bet the NFL average per pass attempt is probably under 7.

...and when it is per attempt, does the completion percentage really matter? Isn't that already factored in.

Regardless, I have personally never had a big problem with the bubble screens.

Pristas
01-30-2012, 11:41 AM
45 passes. Believe we were 40/45.

The Denver one was the only fumble I can think of.

I think the bigger problem was, we got six yards when it was third and seven.

polamalubeast
01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Why would you consider 6 yards per attempt bad? I bet the NFL average per pass attempt is probably under 7.

...and when it is per attempt, does the completion percentage really matter? Isn't that already factored in.

Roethlisberger has a YPA of 8.0 in his career.

An average of 6 yards is worse than Mark Sanchez.

I hate the ***** bubble screens

Chidi29
01-30-2012, 12:22 PM
I think the bigger problem was, we got six yards when it was third and seven.

We ran the bubble screen just once on third down all year long. They were first and 2nd down plays that gave us a good chance of being in 3rd and short/medium.

Your statement is incorrect and I ask you to look up the steelersdepot study...you know, open perspectives and all you mentioned elsewhere today.

Pristas
01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
We ran the bubble screen just once on third down all year long. They were first and 2nd down plays that gave us a good chance of being in 3rd and short/medium.

Your statement is incorrect and I ask you to look up the steelersdepot study...you know, open perspectives and all you mentioned elsewhere today.

LINK?

zulater
01-30-2012, 01:31 PM

I don't think the "anti Arains crowd" was that far off the mark.
He was certainly teetering on the edge in 2009. So even though he ultimately had his job saved by Ben that time, there's been thought in the organization for some time that Arians wasn't necessarily the right man for the job.

Time will tell if getting rid of Bruce was the right thing or not. But that's a separate point from what's being made by me now.

Pristas
01-30-2012, 02:19 PM

OK, just found it:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/01/breaking-down-the-steelers-2011-wide-receiver-bubble-screens/

The only thing that I can think of, is that during a given set of downs, when the bubble screen was used, what percentage of these "sets of downs" resulted in a first down? I'm thinking that maybe the play put a bad taste in everyone's mouth because when a given set of downs included a bubble screen, most of the time no first down was achieved. If this were the case, it could explain the hate on the play, though unjustifiably so. I also noticed that in week 2, 3, some of 8, and definitely 9 the play downright failed. Those games are in order, Seattle, Indy, NE, Baltimore. Weeks 2 and 3 probably put it on the fans radar because these are must wins. Then as far as important games go, having it fail against NE and be intercepted at Baltimore would seal the deal in the fan's mind.

GBMelBlount
01-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Roethlisberger has a YPA of 8.0 in his career.

An average of 6 yards is worse than Mark Sanchez.

I hate the ***** bubble screens

Yep, you are right.

Regardless, I still look at it as yielding SIGNIFICANTLY better YPA than running and lowers the risk of sack or turnover when compared to Ben holding the ball and waiting 6 seconds to find a receiver.

suitanim
01-30-2012, 03:52 PM
The bubble screen is the non-WCO nod to the WCO: You toss the ball out into space on a super-high percentage completion play and "run" the ball with a WR in space.

Count Steeler
01-30-2012, 04:00 PM
The bubble screen is the non-WCO nod to the WCO: You toss the ball out into space on a super-high percentage completion play and "run" the ball with a WR in space.

The biggest problem I had with the bubble screen is that Brown was not the main go to guy. At the beginning of the year it was Ward, then Wallace kind of took over and then Brown near the end. Brown is the type of receiver that the bubble screen is made for. A great open field runner with the ability to make the first tackler miss. Can easily turn a quick toss into 15-20 yards. Sanders may do well with it as well, don't remember him getting many opportunities with it.

O'Malley
01-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Wow me think me not know nothing no more..

Texasteel
01-30-2012, 04:34 PM
There is no need for name calling, please cut this part out of any future argument.

X-Terminator
01-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Just did some house-cleaning, and quite honestly, I'm tired of having shit dumped on the floor. Please keep your comments civil, or else. Last warning.

Dino 6 Rings
01-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Just did some house-cleaning, and quite honestly, I'm tired of having shit dumped on the floor. Please keep your comments civil, or else. Last warning.

Oh then by all means please go review the last comment in the "What do you want from your new offensive coordinator" thread...to be Civil.

X-Terminator
01-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Oh then by all means please go review the last comment in the "What do you want from your new offensive coordinator" thread...to be Civil.

I already read it, and honestly I've said the same thing myself, just not as harshly.

I don't mind heated discussions - it's what makes a message board tick - but I can do without the direct and not-so-subtle shots at a specific person's intelligence.

ALLD
01-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Doesn't matter what BB thinks. Riddle me this Batman, who signs the checks and who cashes them?

O'Malley
01-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Doesn't matter what BB thinks. Riddle me this Batman, who signs the checks and who cashes them?

This^

GodfatherofSoul
01-31-2012, 07:03 PM

It's a stats thing. It's all about the standard deviation since the alternative to a completion is ZERO yards. That's why it's so great to have a good running game. Your standard deviation from your average run is going to be much closer to the average run.

In other words, because of the relative failure rate of the passing game, YPA has more of an effect on sustaining drives than in the running game.

GBMelBlount
01-31-2012, 07:57 PM
It's a stats thing. It's all about the standard deviation since the alternative to a completion is ZERO yards. That's why it's so great to have a good running game. Your standard deviation from your average run is going to be much closer to the average run.

In other words, because of the relative failure rate of the passing game, YPA has more of an effect on sustaining drives than in the running game.

What is a better ypa? 4.4 or 6.0?

...plus with the high completion rate of bubble screens I doubt the deviations are what you would see vs. the traditional passing plays yielding only about 7 or 8 ypa.

I look at it as the best of both worlds. Plus it adds another dimension to the offense.

Count Steeler
02-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Bubble screen failure = wrong personnel chosen.

In my mind, (I am no OC), the WR that is catching the pass has to be a deep threat and has to be a good open field runner, able to make 1 or 2 guys miss. Brown is our best option at this point. Wallace, while a deep threat does not have that elusiveness that is needed.

86WARD
02-01-2012, 07:16 AM
More times than not the bubble screen was a failure. A lit of times it put the Steelers drives in a hole. You can't go on the average per play. If this team wasn't so good this season in third and long, they would not have made the playoffs...and part of that third and long situation was because of a failed bubble screen.

Pristas
02-01-2012, 08:16 AM
That's what I was saying. Regardless if it was effective in getting an average of 6 ypp, if the given set of downs didn't result in a first down, then the bubble screen was the scapegoat. I just went back to the Steelers Depot write up on the bubble screen and pushed for some more stats... here's what I found. I took all of the plays that went for more than 10 yards and those that went for less than 10 yards, totaled them and averaged them. 32% of the plays went for more than 10 yards at an average of 16.36 yards. The other 68% of the plays that were less than 10 yards yielded a 2.66 yards per pass average. This does not account for the interception or the lost fumble resulting from the play.

So what can we gather from this... when the play worked it worked well and that happened 32% of the time. When it was anything less than a first down, it pretty much sucked. And it sucked 68% of the time. I'd much rather see a play that gets a steady 4-6 yards than one that gets a few home runs followed by a lot of zero yard pick ups.

I also think that throwing this to Ward was a big part of the problem. In the future, using Brown and sometimes Wallace, I could see myself liking this play a lot more. It definitely left a bad taste in my mouth this season, when exactly half of the time it was run, it resulted in a 1.3 yard average. That means every time we saw the play develop we knew it had a 50% chance of failure. (this calculated by adding up the 22 plays with the lowest yardage and averaging them).

All this data really shows little until we can compare it to another common play, but I would wager that it is one of the bigger "crap shoot" plays that we've run this season.

X-Terminator
02-01-2012, 11:02 AM
I also think that throwing this to Ward was a big part of the problem. In the future, using Brown and sometimes Wallace, I could see myself liking this play a lot more. It definitely left a bad taste in my mouth this season, when exactly half of the time it was run, it resulted in a 1.3 yard average. That means every time we saw the play develop we knew it had a 50% chance of failure. (this calculated by adding up the 22 plays with the lowest yardage and averaging them).

I was saying this all season. If they're going to use the bubble screen, don't throw it to the slow guy. You're just asking for trouble and you aren't going to gain a thing most times. They should have been throwing it to Wallace and Brown the entire time.

fansince'76
02-01-2012, 11:09 AM
I was saying this all season. If they're going to use the bubble screen, don't throw it to the slow guy. You're just asking for trouble and you aren't going to gain a thing most times. They should have been throwing it to Wallace and Brown the entire time.

I think a lot of that had to do with getting Hines to 1,000. I don't think that would have been an issue going forward.