PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have QB issues for offseason

Galax Steeler
01-25-2012, 03:30 AM
For the first time since he became coach in 2007, Mike Tomlin will have some issues to address at quarterback.

And not just on the depth chart.

Sure, he has to decide which veteran quarterback he wants to keep most -- Charlie Batch, 37, who compiled a 3-1 record filling in for Ben Roethlisberger the past two seasons and has been the healthiest quarterback on the roster; or Byron Leftwich, who was brought in via a trade to replace Roethlisberger for four games at the start of the 2010 season, but instead has thrown seven meaningful passes in the past 2 1/2 seasons because of injuries.

Of greater significance is how Roethlisberger will adjust to a new offensive coordinator, especially if Tomlin goes outside the organization to hire a replacement for Bruce Arians.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12025/1205736-66.stm#ixzz1kSd4Rkng

ALLD
01-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Keep Ben and pick up two new ones.

steelreserve
01-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Keep Ben and pick up two new ones.

Yup. I am not too interested in seeing either Batch or Leftwich return. A backup is supposed to be the guy you count on if the main QB is hurt, and it's been pretty much the reverse of that with these guys. Being AVAILABLE to come off the bench is the #1 requirement for a backup, and Batch and Leftwich are not even accomplishing that. Time to move on.

I also think this will save us a good $1.5-$2M by way of not having to pay four QBs every season - 2-3 on the active roster, 1-2 on IR. We could put that money to good use signing ONE decent backup like Chad Henne or Shaun Hill.

lilyoder6
01-25-2012, 02:03 PM
still have a feeling that batch is going to become an ass qb coach for this team.. and she should be damn good at it.. since he's been holding the clipboard for a long long time now.. and lefty is way to injury prone to keep giving him chances.. and i think dixon's chances of staying all depends on how much he is asking for.. for some odd reason the team has held on to him for all these yrrs.. so they have to like him somewhat

XxKnightxX
01-25-2012, 02:15 PM
I say if hes at a cheap price sign Henne.

salamander
01-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Maybe if they signed a real back-up QB instead of guys like Dennis Dixon and Troy Smith we'd be better off.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Drop Lefty, give Batch a job in the coaching staff and bring in two new guys, one via draft 5th round or so, one from free agency off the scrap heap that will be 2nd/3rd sting QBs that lost their jobs post draft.

suitanim
01-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Well, it depends. If we are reverting to the 90's, run-first thing, then we should trade Ben for two first rounders, bolster the OL and DL and get ready for Cowher/Tressel ball where the most important play is the punt and we win games 10-9.

Buckinnuts
01-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Batch as qb coach..smith and draft one...there is always someone available out there if needed...maybe coax Marino out of retirement for a back up...lol .Henne is a joke maybe he could play corner

BlastFurnace
01-25-2012, 06:30 PM
I still like Lefty and hope he comes back.

I don't mind Batch and wouldn't mind seeing him back either.

Troy Smith is interesting.

I hope Dennis Dixon finds a new team.

SteelGhost
01-25-2012, 09:01 PM
With the signing of Troy Smith, I guess Batch and Dixon will be released and MAYBE the FO and Tomlin give one more year to Leftwich, but it depends on who is going to be the next OC, of course it's pure speculation at this point :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Shaun Hill would be perfect.

The Duke
01-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Shaun Hill would be perfect.

if we had the cash

guy could realistically start for 1/4 of the teams in the league. Probably more

KeiselPower99
01-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Leftwich should return and I see a late round pick as our number 3 this year.

Psycho Ward 86
01-28-2012, 06:02 PM
if we had the cash

guy could realistically start for 1/4 of the teams in the league. Probably more

definitely. im hoping being under the radar will help us snag him. Too bad this pass happy league is forcing GM's to be more shrewd about getting QB's, whether backup or starter

steel9guy
01-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Honestly I like our QB depth as it is. Batch and Lefty if he stays healthy are good.

Galax Steeler
01-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Honestly I like our QB depth as it is. Batch and Lefty if he stays healthy are good.

I just have to think that Batch don't have much left in the tank.

86WARD
01-29-2012, 06:48 AM
Batch is not good. Not even average. He's got a great football head, but physically, he's one of the worst back ups in the league. Batch being in the roster is doing nothing more than taking up a potential roster spot for the steelers future. I've liked him a lot in the past, but the time has come.

I pretty much feel the total opposite on this issue. The QB depth beyond Ben is horrific. Leftwich, Batch Dixon? Ugh...

HometownGal
01-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Drop Lefty, give Batch a job in the coaching staff and bring in two new guys, one via draft 5th round or so, one from free agency off the scrap heap that will be 2nd/3rd sting QBs that lost their jobs post draft.

I'm totally on board with this. ^^^

I adore Lefty but as others have stated, he is way too injury prone. I think Charlie would make a much better coach than he's been a QB.

steelreserve
01-29-2012, 12:24 PM

Yeah, that's a big "if" for both of them. There's the world we wish we lived in, and then there's reality.