PDA

View Full Version : 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Mel Kiper Has Pittsburgh Selecting Dontari Poe

stillers4me
01-22-2012, 09:15 AM
The deluge of 2012 NFL Mock Drafts continue, with ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper releasing his Mock Draft 1.0. Most of Kiper's work is behind a paywall, but his selection for the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) at No. 24 is captured below. Kiper, unlike many experts, does not have Pittsburgh taking an offensive lineman. Rather, he see the Steelers helping themselves on the defensive side of the ball:...........

read more @ http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2012/1/22/2724980/2012-nfl-mock-draft-pittsburgh-steelers-kiper

ShutDown24
01-22-2012, 09:45 AM
I can only hope Kiper is right.

Galax Steeler
01-22-2012, 10:08 AM
He would give the defensive line a big boost.

st33lersguy
01-22-2012, 10:15 AM
I think this needs to be the pick. Every 3-4 team needs a solid run-stuffing nose tackle and with both Hampton and Hoke well over 30 coming off serious injuries, the need to draft a nose tackle is pressing now more than ever

The Duke
01-22-2012, 12:08 PM
IF he's there I can't see us not taking him

but there are other NTs we can still get in rounds 2-4 if he's gone

Steeltreal
01-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers
Offense vs. Defense Slight tendency toward offense, but very balanced over the last five years
Most Significant Tendency Tend to take fewer defensive linemen early than is the norm
Another Significant Tendency Like linebackers early and late

Read more: http://sidelinescouting.com/articles/draft-metrics/draft-tendencies/#ixzz1kDe9tnLn

Really cool read

Steeltreal
01-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Lack of competition playing in Conference USA, wasn't very productive in college and didn't stand out on tape like a top prospect should versus a lower-tier FBS conference.

Read more: http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/dt/dontari-poe/#ixzz1kDgr10do

Texasteel
01-22-2012, 02:30 PM
I have my doubts that we go after Poe, there should be a couple NTs available in the 2nd round that might be just as good, maybe better. If we go after BAP I think that will be a OT, OG/OC, or ILB. My guess right now is Adams out of Ohio St...........But you never know.

Steeltreal
01-22-2012, 03:20 PM
I have my doubts that we go after Poe, there should be a couple NTs available in the 2nd round that might be just as good, maybe better. If we go after BAP I think that will be a OT, OG/OC, or ILB. My guess right now is Adams out of Ohio St...........But you never know.

Positive with a OG or ILB it will be a player on Baltimore s board

Aussie_steeler
01-23-2012, 03:24 AM

I agree. The steelers only draft 6'5 350" guys to play on the O line.

The steeler philosophy is to have your NT win the leverage battle and take on two blocks. More likely to take Jerel Worthy in the first ( but I still dont see that happening)

Josh Chapman in the 2nd is more likely.

LLT
01-23-2012, 12:25 PM
I understand where Kiper is coming from and even predicted that we might take a NT in the first Steelers Universe mock draft. I still believe that the two positions that we will target in that first round will be either NT or OT.

Keep in mind that I dont believe that either of these positions are out biggest need. I firmly believe that we need a Stud OG on the front line....but the nature of THIS draft is that there is very good talent at OG in hte first three rounds. Possibly the deepest position this year.

That might allow us to meet our secondary needs at either OT and NT in the first round. The way that I see it unfolding (as of now) is that if there is a run on OT's then we will go with a NT....but if OT Mike Adams is there at #24 then we grab him and go NT in the 2nd and and OG in the 3rd.

All that to say that we will target OT/NT/OG early in the draft....and I have no damn idea how its going to play out...since we are at the whim of those drafting in front of us.

How is that for honesty. :noidea:

Aussie_steeler
01-23-2012, 02:40 PM
New Offensive co-ordinator coming in might have a little impact on the draft strategy.

Do they want a OT or OG more to solidify the line?

Do they want a power FB to complement Arts request?

Do they want another pass catching TE to exploit the middle of the field?

I wasnt expecting this spanner to be thrown into the works just yet. Lets see who is the new OC