PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: One last debate over Arians

stillers4me
01-22-2012, 08:15 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!! You have to read this whole article...I swear to God Starkey reads SU!! :sofunny:

If we're talking lightning-rod local sports figures since 2000 -- and why wouldn't we be? -- then Bruce Arians deserves special mention.

He might even be in the Hall of Fame.

Kordell Stewart, Bill Cowher, Bob Nutting, Ben Roethlisberger, Marc-Andre Fleury, Mike Mularkey, Tommy Maddox, Matt Cavanaugh, Walt Harris and Dave Wannstedt, among others, spring to mind.

The mere mention of any of the above could spark weeks of irrational talk-show debate. Sometimes years.
Can you imagine if the Steelers hire ex-Colts coach Jim Caldwell as their new offensive coordinator? Within three games his blank stare would become a reliable source of fan fury............

Read more: Starkey: One last debate over Arians - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_777844.html#ixzz1kCEoHUEJ) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_777844.html#ixzz1kCEoHUEJ

tube517
01-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Basher: "They won a Super Bowl with Mitch Berger, too. Does that mean he was a good punter?"

:rofl2:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Maybe he reads the Fever, or firebrucearians.com .

Butch
01-22-2012, 02:43 PM
:rofl2:

Hey That's my line!!! I'm a card carrying member of the bring back Mitch fan club!!! Nobody could shank a punt more effectively than Mitch!!!

suitanim
01-23-2012, 05:26 AM
These arguments are in the article against Arians are much more rational than what we saw here...

mortgageman
01-23-2012, 09:56 AM
The way i see it, coaches and players should be judged by results. The offenses rankings in the past 5 years have been average to just above average. That means, either the players are over rated or the coaches are not getting enough out of their players. I think the consensus is, Ben is a top 7 QB and his weapons are top notch. That means the coaching is not good enough. Everyone has opinions, but the numbers are what they are, and our offense with these players and arians has been average.

suitanim
01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
The way i see it, coaches and players should be judged by results. The offenses rankings in the past 5 years have been average to just above average. That means, either the players are over rated or the coaches are not getting enough out of their players. I think the consensus is, Ben is a top 7 QB and his weapons are top notch. That means the coaching is not good enough. Everyone has opinions, but the numbers are what they are, and our offense with these players and arians has been average.

And the fact that we have had the worst oline in the NFL for like 5 years running?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
And the fact that we have had the worst oline in the NFL for like 5 years running?

Yeah, but we got to the super bowl twice during that time. Great coaching jobs by their position coaches to coach them up to being successful like that.

After all, we all know that... Coaches are responsible for success of undertalented, but over achieving players. While failure is all due to poor player execution.

suitanim
01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah, but we got to the super bowl twice during that time. Great coaching jobs by their position coaches to coach them up to being successful like that.

After all, we all know that... Coaches are responsible for success of undertalented, but over achieving players. While failure is all due to poor player execution.

So great coaches coached up the line and made them play better , but the coaches then turned around and FAILED to coach the talented skill positions to their potential?

That, of course, all falls apart because the oline WAS the worst in the NFL and also PLAYED like the worst in the NFL, which is how they became the worst oline in the NFL in the first place. If the oline overachieved at some point, then the stats would have born that out. They did not.

Better stick to your day job coaching the high school offensive lines.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2012, 01:33 PM
So great coaches coached up the line and made them play better , but the coaches then turned around and FAILED to coach the talented skill positions to their potential?

That, of course, all falls apart because the oline WAS the worst in the NFL and also PLAYED like the worst in the NFL, which is how they became the worst oline in the NFL in the first place. If the oline overachieved at some point, then the stats would have born that out. They did not.

Better stick to your day job coaching the high school offensive lines.

So what is your opinion?...that Arians coached up the offense to overcome the poor O line and get to the SB?? and that He was responsible for the win in 2007 but the loss of 2010 was all on the defense?

And actually, coaching isnt my job, its a volunteer interest in helping teach young men the game and proper technique. I'm not coaching highschool kids now, but younger age groups.

suitanim
01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
So what is your opinion?...that Arians coached up the offense to overcome the poor O line and get to the SB?? and that He was responsible for the win in 2007 but the loss of 2010 was all on the defense?

And actually, coaching isnt my job, its a volunteer interest in helping teach young men the game and proper technique. I'm not coaching highschool kids now, but younger age groups.

Arians was doomed no matter what he did. That's not an opinion, it's fact. The next guy is, too.

Steeldude
01-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Arians was doomed no matter what he did. That's not an opinion, it's fact. The next guy is, too.

no, that would be your extremely biased opinion. i heard this same tired and absurd excuse when kordell was let go. for the longest time you have stated/implied the FO can never be wrong, knows more than anyone on here and you have complete faith in all of their decisions. now, since they let arians go, you have changed your tune about the FO. your attachment to arians is unreal.