PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians Retires as Pittsburgh OC: A Steelers Fan’s Surprising Reaction

crcsnail
01-22-2012, 04:30 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers lost their offensive coordinator as Bruce Arians retired on Friday, January 20th. Gerry Dulac reported that the retirement might have been prompted by Art Rooney II deciding not to renew Arians' contract. Arians was often blasted by fans for his play calling and any particular weakness in the offense. However, I agree with coach Mike Tomlin's recent support for Arians. The criticism was generally incorrect. The Steelers are losing a valuable member of a winning coaching staff. This is not good news.

The bottom line

Over Bruce Arians' five seasons as offensive coordinator, the Steelers were an elite team. Their record was 55-25 (69% win percentage) with no losing seasons. Three seasons the Steelers ended 12-4.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-10867441

quite a nice read . love bruce or hate him? u cant deny that his record was pretty good (even though frustrating at times )

steelreserve
01-22-2012, 05:01 AM
The team's record was good, but I wouldn't say it was "his." Tomlin's record is just as good over that stretch, Ben's record is just as good, Heath's record is just as good, Ward's record is just as good, Troy's record is even better. A lot of people shared in contributing to that besides Arians, and the knock on him is that the offense is being carried by great PLAYERS, but still not living up to its potential. I tend to agree with that.

It is pretty appalling to me that with the talent we have on that side of the ball, we still have such situational trouble - particularly inside the 20 - and still in so many games, the equation is that we know the defense will pin them down, but the question is whether the offense can grind out 13 points and avoid mistakes that cakewalk our opponents into free touchdowns. Given how many talented players we have, that is just not acceptable.

I know, I know .. "but the offensive line is crap!" Fuck the offensive line being a scapegoat again, for the millionth time. If you have a weakness, you compensate for it like any other coach. Arians was maddening - showing just enough signs of "getting it" to be tempting, but ultimately not really getting the job done. This was overdue.

Texasteel
01-22-2012, 06:16 AM
I don't think that anyone here gives BA all the credit for the good record this team has. The problem is when he gets all the credit for all the bad play. We all are tired of the bad line play, but that does not change the fact that the line has been very questionable at best, then is often decimated by injury's. That is not making the line a scapegoat, its just a fact. BA, and, or Ben, has made poor play calls at time, but I have seen several time, particularly in the red zone, that the drive has been stopped by a line that all of a sudden could even block the cheerleader squad, or a 1st and 10 inside the 10 is called back because of a stupid penalty, like some moron jumping on the pile 3 seconds after the play stops. Ben has had problems as well, often throwing an INT just when it looked like we were going to score, sometime bypassing an open receiver to throw into coverage. I will only mention in passing the fumbles at the most damaging times. Does BA deserve part of the blame, you bet. Does he deserve all of it, as he often gets, no he doesn't. IMO BA was be a pretty good OC, and I am sorry to see him go, but not so sorry that I am not hoping that we can land what turns out to be the best OC in the history of the game, who ever it may be.

BA has retired, and will not be on the side line next year. I would hope that at least most here, will give him credit for helping this team add to a successful history.

Austin87
01-22-2012, 06:41 AM
The team's record was good, but I wouldn't say it was "his." Tomlin's record is just as good over that stretch, Ben's record is just as good, Heath's record is just as good, Ward's record is just as good, Troy's record is even better. A lot of people shared in contributing to that besides Arians, and the knock on him is that the offense is being carried by great PLAYERS, but still not living up to its potential. I tend to agree with that.

It is pretty appalling to me that with the talent we have on that side of the ball, we still have such situational trouble - particularly inside the 20 - and still in so many games, the equation is that we know the defense will pin them down, but the question is whether the offense can grind out 13 points and avoid mistakes that cakewalk our opponents into free touchdowns. Given how many talented players we have, that is just not acceptable.

I know, I know .. "but the offensive line is crap!" Fuck the offensive line being a scapegoat again, for the millionth time. If you have a weakness, you compensate for it like any other coach. Arians was maddening - showing just enough signs of "getting it" to be tempting, but ultimately not really getting the job done. This was overdue.

Great post!

suitanim
01-22-2012, 08:15 AM
"Be careful what you wish for" is still mostly what my thoughts are after sorting through all these posts.

Steeldude
01-22-2012, 04:59 PM
u cant deny that his record was pretty good

now it's his record?

the steelers posted good records with kordell as the starting QB. the change was good.