PDA

View Full Version : "I Promise to Move Forward After Getting This Out of My System" - another perspective

stillers4me
01-21-2012, 11:34 AM
There are times in our lives when we all want to be wrong. For me, this is one of them. I want the new offensive coordinator to come in and make things better. I want him to stay for three years until he is so good he gets a head job somewhere. I want to win more Super Bowls. But I also believe, looking back, that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians took way too much of a beating in Steeler Nation. I believe the worst curse to be inflicted upon an OC is to have outstanding skill people, shiny toys to play with, but playing behind an awful offensive line. It's like a '65 Mustang sitting in your driveway with a beat up engine. It looks good from a distance, but get in and drive it and it putters down the road making noises and leaking fluids............

read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

BlacknGoldBabe
01-22-2012, 06:26 AM
I'm thinking of all the stalled drives in the red zone. I'm not hating Arians, but I do think it's time for change.

86WARD
01-22-2012, 07:06 AM
A good OC can stop some of those fluids from leaking. Arians had all the tools...but at times refused to use the proper tool efficiently.

suitanim
01-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Scapegoat. Pure and simple.

NCSteeler
01-22-2012, 08:55 AM

Yep, he was so good lots of teams were trying to gain his services. He didn't suck nearly as bad as many will have you believe but it was time for a change. Anyone know what the average lifespan of a OC is? I'm just guessing it's about 3-4 years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Scapegoat. Pure and simple.The Sean Mahan of Steelers coaching.

tube517
01-22-2012, 10:42 AM
The Sean Mahan of Steelers coaching.

:chuckle:

fansince'76
01-22-2012, 10:47 AM
But I also believe, looking back, that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians took way too much of a beating in Steeler Nation.

Apologist.

:chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
01-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Yep, he was so good lots of teams were trying to gain his services.

Lol who...

Butch
01-22-2012, 02:49 PM

Yep pure and simple...like the time he decided to pass against a strong wind against the clowns a few years back. The clowns came into that game as the worst rushing defense in the league. We lost that game btw on the way to losing out in the playoffs as well. SCAPEGOAT!!!

NCSteeler
01-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Lol who...

Where the hell is that sarcasm smiley?

pepsyman1
01-23-2012, 02:05 AM
I don't think Arians is a scapegoat. I simply think he really isn't that good. I think he has great intentions, I have seen him put together some good game plans, but I think he is poor at maximizing the talent he has. I don't think he's good at adjusting his game plans when they aren't working and I think he's stubborn. I love the fact that he likes to get the ball down the field and obviously Ben does too, but if the O line is as bad as it has been, you can't make a habit of looking for the long ball as much as he and Ben seem too. A good OC makes some adjustments conceding the fact that the O line has deficiencies and builds game plans around those concerns. I don't think Arians did that enough. The Patriots game was the best game plan he put together and unfortunately much of what he used in that game got put on a shelf afterward, never to be seen again. A shame really, because a lot of substance of that plan would be EXACTLY the kind of adjustments we've all been looking for out of this offense. I think that's why so many of us have been frustrated, because I think we all believe this team is capable of being a high power, high scoring team that could use multiple types of attacks depending on what the D is giving us.

suitanim
01-23-2012, 05:43 AM
This will simply be another shining example of Steelers' fans collective ignorance on parade. Just a few others (and more recent ones so we can all have fun here):

-Cowher runs the ball too much...he'll never win a Super Bowl
-Arians passes the ball too much, and you can't win Super Bowls passing
-Jerome Bettis is fat and old and done (this circa about 3 years prior to the 2005 Super Bowl win)
-The Rooney's are cheap (although I still think a few of the more ignorant still adhere to this one)
-Troy will never recover from his injury (doesn't matter which injury, doesn't matter which season, all wrong)
-Steelers LBers are "plug-n-play"

There are dozens more...feel free to join in...

GBMelBlount
01-23-2012, 06:22 AM
He was a decent OC who was well liked.

He made mistakes (like any other) but got blamed for everything that went wrong including problems due to a poor offensive line .

Edman
01-23-2012, 07:19 AM
When Bruce was blamed for the Defensive collapses, yes he was scapegoated. Other than that, he was an average O-Coordinator with shaky playcalling. Saying someone was average is not scapegoating. No one came banging down the Steelers Doors to hire this guy. Because the NFL saw the Brucie Offense in Pittsburgh. Woefully inconsistent with shoddy gameplans in place.

Brucie was "scapegoated" because he could never consistently run what works. A big knock on the guy was that we would find something that works and stop doing it. He tried way too hard to outsmart people and ended up bumbling and fumbling around on offense. Ben shredded the Titans and Patriots with a short passing game this year, and easily the greatest gameplans Bruce has ever called in this town. It was never seen again.

Bruce Arians spoiled Ben instead of coaching him to be a better QB and I would honestly say we'd never sniff another Super Bowl if that relationship wasn't broken up. Thanks for your time, Bruce, but it's time to go.

Devilsdancefloor
01-23-2012, 08:37 AM
I find this interesting ... http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=312108

But it was time to move on for bruce scapegoat NO way

Steeldude
01-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Yep pure and simple...like the time he decided to pass against a strong wind against the clowns a few years back. The clowns came into that game as the worst rushing defense in the league. We lost that game btw on the way to losing out in the playoffs as well. SCAPEGOAT!!!

it's the same thing many said about kordell when he was let go. they called him a scapegoat. you have to understand a lot of fans get personally attached to players/coaches.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-23-2012, 09:08 AM
I find this interesting ... http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=312108

That is funny. I'd love to see the Ravens sign Arians and see the fan reaction when Vontae Leach is released and Ray Rice gets his carries greatly reduced. They would see Ed Dickson in the backfield as an H-back and both Boldin and Smith getting at least 3 bubble screens per game.

"4 yards gained is the same whether its done via the pass or the run." Why use Rice to gain yardage when you can throw short passes?? Ray Lewis might kill again in that situation.

Steeldude
01-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Steelers LBers are "plug-n-play"

so far it holds true.

let's check out some statements from the ignorant and angry fans of the steelers' message boards over the years...

1. tony hills is the starting RG this season.
2. kordell should have never been let go.
3. we won't win a SB without burress
4. we can't win without holmes
5. the FO is never wrong
6. fans know nothing and are always wrong
7. harrison can't replace porter

the list goes on and on

Steeldude
01-23-2012, 09:18 AM

that would be awesome of the ravens could sign arians. that would be two extra wins per season for the steelers. also, how many of the arians followers would buy a ravens' jersey?

Psycho Ward 86
01-23-2012, 09:30 AM
This will simply be another shining example of Steelers' fans collective ignorance on parade. Just a few others (and more recent ones so we can all have fun here):

-Cowher runs the ball too much...he'll never win a Super Bowl
-Arians passes the ball too much, and you can't win Super Bowls passing
-Jerome Bettis is fat and old and done (this circa about 3 years prior to the 2005 Super Bowl win)
-The Rooney's are cheap (although I still think a few of the more ignorant still adhere to this one)
-Troy will never recover from his injury (doesn't matter which injury, doesn't matter which season, all wrong)
-Steelers LBers are "plug-n-play"

There are dozens more...feel free to join in...

Lol id like to see where you came up with this. All of these statements arent just absolutes, they're hyperboles.

What exactly is it that you see in Arians that you want to cry about? Arians' offense over the years:

Points per game: 9th, 20th, 12th, 12th, 21st
Yards per game: 17th, 22nd, 7th, 14th, 12th
Pass yards per game: 22nd, 17th, 9th, 14th, 10th
Rush yards per game: 3rd, 23rd, 9th, 14th, 10th

Yeah we reallly strike some fear in those defenses :lol:

suitanim
01-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Lol id like to see where you came up with this. All of these statements arent just absolutes, they're hyperboles.

:

"Hyperboles"(sic)?

I've read those and worse on these boards and others. Cold Hard Facts (which is actually usually pretty good at analyzing stats and synthesizing klnowledge from them) was responsible for the "Cowher can't win" thing. I saw plenty of the Arians nonsense here. The Bettis complaints were rampant across the whole Steeler Nation. The Rooney's are cheap canard is STILL in effect (there was a conspiracy theory on this very board that Arians was just holding out for a bigger paycheck from the "Cheap Rooney's"). The Troy thing was going around this very board this preseason, and the plug-n-play garbage is STILL rampant.

Ignorance is just as rampant on these boards as other teams. We aren't exempt from fan stupidity simply because the organization is generally pretty classy and smart. Winning tends to attract a different sort of mentality...and those types tend to drift away if there is sustained losing for a few seasons in a row. Fortunately (or unfortunately, for the purposes of weeding out fair-weather fans), the Steelers are simply too good at what they do to allow that to happen, so the lowest common denominator-type fan tends to stick around.

Of course, that's not to say that long-time fans can't delve into idiocy. Obviously that goes on a lot as well.

Psycho Ward 86
01-23-2012, 11:08 AM
"Hyperboles"(sic)?

I've read those and worse on these boards and others. Cold Hard Facts (which is actually usually pretty good at analyzing stats and synthesizing klnowledge from them) was responsible for the "Cowher can't win" thing. I saw plenty of the Arians nonsense here. The Bettis complaints were rampant across the whole Steeler Nation. The Rooney's are cheap canard is STILL in effect (there was a conspiracy theory on this very board that Arians was just holding out for a bigger paycheck from the "Cheap Rooney's"). The Troy thing was going around this very board this preseason, and the plug-n-play garbage is STILL rampant.

Ignorance is just as rampant on these boards as other teams. We aren't exempt from fan stupidity simply because the organization is generally pretty classy and smart. Winning tends to attract a different sort of mentality...and those types tend to drift away if there is sustained losing for a few seasons in a row. Fortunately (or unfortunately, for the purposes of weeding out fair-weather fans), the Steelers are simply too good at what they do to allow that to happen, so the lowest common denominator-type fan tends to stick around.

Of course, that's not to say that long-time fans can't delve into idiocy. Obviously that goes on a lot as well.

I would be delighted to see evidence of any of these coming from fans other than steeldude. meanwhile you're still tiptoeing my question in my previous post because valid points for defending Arians are hard to come by :)

suitanim
01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
I would be delighted to see evidence of any of these coming from fans other than steeldude. meanwhile you're still tiptoeing my question in my previous post because valid points for defending Arians are hard to come by :)

Oh, no, no, no. Quite the contrary. I'm just tired of throwing out facts...they fall on deaf and dumb ears, so what would be the point of continuing the insanity?

Psycho Ward 86
01-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Oh, no, no, no. Quite the contrary. I'm just tired of throwing out facts...they fall on deaf and dumb ears, so what would be the point of continuing the insanity?

what facts have you ever thrown out...i offered you mine, the least you can do is counter it properly if you're sooo opposed to them

suitanim
01-23-2012, 12:13 PM
what facts have you ever thrown out...i offered you mine, the least you can do is counter it properly if you're sooo opposed to them

Are you joking? I'm serious, I'm starting to get pissed off again. Stupidity makes me really, really, really angry.

I've been over Oline, field position differential, the "attrition factor" of NFL defenses, lack of turnovers, and lack of execution a million times, and in-depth. I'm NOT doing it again.

If you want to blame it all on Arians and ignore the 90 other factors that figure into it, that's fine, but I'm done with the super-simple ready-made catch-all excuses.

Psycho Ward 86
01-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Are you joking? I'm serious, I'm starting to get pissed off again. Stupidity makes me really, really, really angry.

I've been over Oline, field position differential, the "attrition factor" of NFL defenses, lack of turnovers, and lack of execution a million times, and in-depth. I'm NOT doing it again.

If you want to blame it all on Arians and ignore the 90 other factors that figure into it, that's fine, but I'm done with the super-simple ready-made catch-all excuses.

That's been your sole defense of Arians all year long, there's always an apparently brand new excuse as to why the offense isnt playing up to par. If you have to make excuse after excuse to prove that a mediocre offense is great, then something is gravely wrong with the offense, no?

suitanim
01-23-2012, 03:48 PM
That's been your sole defense of Arians all year long, there's always an apparently brand new excuse as to why the offense isnt playing up to par. If you have to make excuse after excuse to prove that a mediocre offense is great, then something is gravely wrong with the offense, no?

Excuses?

You and yours are making excuses. Your dumbassed excuse is to dump the blame in Arians lap.