PDA

View Full Version : Arians Gone and What it Means for the Steelers

stillers4me
01-21-2012, 11:28 AM
We’re goin’ streakin! Woooooooooo! For those of you that haven’t been reading my posts, I’ve been a proponent of the Steelers getting rid of their newly-retired Offensive Coordinator Bruce Arians (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7483430/pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-coordinator-bruce-arians-retiring) for the last four seasons. If my jubilant yet comical nature offends anybody I must apologize, but my distaste for the underachievement and inconsistency of the Steelers’ Offensive output reached an all time high during the 2011 season.

In lieu of yesterday’s news, I figured that today’s post would be centered around which players stand to benefit the most from Arians’ departure and why. Furthermore, I’d like to discuss the merits of some of the candidates which might be considered to fill the newly vacant O.C. position. So let’s get started shall we:

Who Benefits and Why
Big Ben:
I’m sure Ben is a tad salty now, because he was arguably the only supporter Arians had during his tenure in Pittsburgh. Nevertheless, Big Ben should be thanking his lucky stars that theSteelers will now be able to acquire their “pick of the litter” of Offensive Coordinators.

It seemed like at times during Arians’ career in Pittsburgh that he would rely too much on Ben to go “no-huddle” in the final 2 minutes and just hope and pray he could extend broken plays to move the ball in crucial situations.

The Offense to me seemed like it lacked a true identity, and at times the semblance of a game plan appeared to be non-existent one week (Houston, Kansas City), while another the Offense would be firing on all cylinders (New England, Tennessee, Cincinnati #2). In fact, during numerous games over Arians’ tenure the Offense would be hot in one Quarter, but then just go stagnant no more than 10 minutes later, or vice versa (Cincinnati #1, Indianapolis, AFCWC Jaguars, AFCC against Jets, Super Bowl XLIII). If you want me to give you more examples of each, I will, but for the sake of brevity I’ll leave you with this sampler platter from above.

Even though Ben likely defended Arians until the bitter end, he will be benefiting immensely from Bruce’s departure. With a new coordinator, there will come a system and a comprehensive and consistent game-plan that will likely play to his team’s strengths and do whatever possible to help Ben become the best and most efficient QB he can be (I’ll get to this in further sections).
Who knows? Ben might be putting up better numbers if the Steelers can roll out a consistent game-plan week after week and the new guy can keep the Steelers talented Offense going at all times. Ben has so many weapons at his disposal, and if the new Coordinator has 20-20 vision he will see how much more dangerous this Offense can be with a QB of Ben’s caliber leading it. All it will take is the Coordinator doing his job to make this happen.

Miller, Saunders, Redman and the Red Zone Offense:..............

read more: http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/01/21/arians-gone-and-what-it-means-for-the-steelers/#more-11874

[/URL][URL="javascript:;"] (javascript:;)

ShutDown24
01-21-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't understand how anyone can even begin to claim Ben or this team will benefit from Arians' departure until we find out who is going to be orchestrating the new offense. Even then, who knows what the new coach's gameday tendencies will be. All of this rampant celebration is ridiculous.

fansince'76
01-21-2012, 11:35 AM
With a new coordinator, there will come a system and a comprehensive and consistent game-plan that will likely play to his team’s strengths and do whatever possible to help Ben become the best and most efficient QB he can be (I’ll get to this in further sections).

Hope so, but that kinda remains to be seen, doesn't it?

stillers4me
01-21-2012, 11:38 AM
The news of Bruce's "retirement" brings new hope to some fans, bittersweet regret for others. I have posted 2 editorials (which simply states an individual opinion) with 2 different perspectives.

Neither one is entirely right or wrong.....but they certainly give us food for thought during the offseason and while we are watching 2 other teams playing for that Lombardi we wanted to see sitting beside the other six we have collected.

Enjoy.

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Ben is losing a friend, mentor, and someone he trusted and trusted in him. He wins!

:sarcasm:

stillers4me
01-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Ben is losing a friend, mentor, and someone he trusted and trusted in him. He wins!

Enjoy the games this weekend!

I love ya kiddo...but! As with everything, there is always more than one perspective. I don't think Art made this decision without the consult of the ambassador. And it seems the ambassador is coming home just in time. I, for one, am looking forward to what this new prospect brings to the table. Ben will get over it and thrive...he has to or his time in Pittsburgh will be over, too.

Hold onto your hats, Steelers fans.....it's always an exciting ride!

The Duke
01-21-2012, 12:03 PM
I don't understand how anyone can even begin to claim Ben or this team will benefit from Arians' departure until we find out who is going to be orchestrating the new offense. Even then, who knows what the new coach's gameday tendencies will be. All of this rampant celebration is ridiculous.

Anyone's better than that devil Arians!!

I hope for the best, but wouldn't be surprised if the offense does not improve much. As long as they severely cut down on turnovers this team should be fine. After all, our defense is still good enough to win most games

XxKnightxX
01-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Maybe instead of going with telegraphed and obvious runs with “Twinkle-Toes” Mendenhall (a.k.a. the 4 straight rushing plays against Cleveland)

Twinkle Toes Mendenhall
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Bart+Scott+Rashard+Mendenhall+2011+AFC+Championshi p+KGrEEtmOcuel.jpg

Twinkle Toes Rogell
http://image2.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2003/157/7540753_1054999411.jpg

I think its the number :rofl:

All Jokes aside. This had to get done. Arians is on the verge of retirement, and Ben is entering the 3rd phase of his career. You need someone new with passion and fire to push Ben to get better, instead of a coach who has had questionable gameplans, and being on the retirement watch will lead him to become complaisant and mentally 'check out' . It was a move that needed to be done. But we gotta see what the FO does in regards to our next OC. Because if it fails, then its on the FO, not the OC.

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Enjoy the games this weekend!

I love ya kiddo...but! As with everything, there is always more than one perspective. I don't think Art made this decision without the consult of the ambassador. And it seems the ambassador is coming home just in time. I, for one, am looking forward to what this new prospect brings to the table. Ben will get over it and thrive...he has to or his time in Pittsburgh will be over, too.

Hold onto your hats, Steelers fans.....it's always an exciting ride!

I love and respect Dan Rooney but his opinion doesn't hold much weight. He was in Ireland for most of the season and only here for a few weeks. Let the decision lie with the person who has been around him most - Tomlin.

And to be clear, the world won't end with us bringing in a new OC. Ben won't suddenly look like Mark Sanchez. But I think he would have been best benefited by having Arians stick around.

GBMelBlount
01-21-2012, 12:40 PM
I love and respect Dan Rooney but his opinion doesn't hold much weight. He was in Ireland for most of the season and only here for a few weeks.

Let the decision lie with the person who has been around him most - Tomlin.

And to be clear, the world won't end with us bringing in a new OC. Ben won't suddenly look like Mark Sanchez. But I think he would have been best benefited by having Arians stick around.

Sometimes being too involved in the day to day and personal relationships etc. clouds one's ability to see things that are obvious to the casual observer.

After all, even from Ireland the Steelers only averaged 20.3 ppg...

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Sometimes being too involved in the day to day and personal relationships etc. clouds one's ability to see the larger picture.

After all, even from Ireland the Steelers only averaged 20.3 ppg...

Tomlin is smart enough to see through that and do what is best for his team. If he isn't capable of doing that, he shouldn't be here.

I don't know what they averaged in Ireland, I don't know the metric system. This is America!

:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
01-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Tomlin is smart enough to see through that and do what is best for his team. If he isn't capable of doing that, he shouldn't be here.

Sometimes people are too close to the forest to see the trees....but if you say so....

...and I think the measurement in Ireland is pints----> :tt03:

:grin:

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Sometimes people are too close to the forest to see the trees....but if you say so....

...and I think the measurement in Ireland is pints----> :tt03:

:grin:

I can't buy into the idea that the best decision makers are the ones further away from the situation. I don't want my head coach to be second-guessed. It's his team, when he got here, he was given control over the coaching staff. He's a smart guy that's done a great job.

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Twinkle Toes Mendenhall
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Bart+Scott+Rashard+Mendenhall+2011+AFC+Championshi p+KGrEEtmOcuel.jpg

Twinkle Toes Rogell
http://image2.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2003/157/7540753_1054999411.jpg

I think its the number :rofl:

Hey diddle diddle, it's Rogel up the middle.

GBMelBlount
01-21-2012, 06:19 PM
I can't buy into the idea that the best decision makers are the ones further away from the situation.

I don't want my head coach to be second-guessed.

It's his team, when he got here, he was given control over the coaching staff. He's a smart guy that's done a great job.

I said "sometimes," only to point out that you are being a bit close minded (again).

Sometimes when people are too close to a situation they cannot be as objective...especially when interpersonal relationships are involved.

Also it is NOT tomlins team. It is the Rooneys.

In most large corporations the major decisions are made by executives who are far from the trenches and often for good reason.

Hopefully after you have a few more college courses under your belt (and life experiences) this will make more sense and you will be more open minded about it.

Either way, I do understand your point and appreciate your passionate support for Tomlin.

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 06:32 PM
I said "sometimes," only to point out that you are being a bit close minded (again).

Sometimes when people are too close to a situation they cannot be as objective...especially when interpersonal relationships are involved.

Also it is NOT tomlins team. It is the Rooneys.

In most large corporations the major decisions are made by executives who are far from the trenches and often for good reason.

Hopefully after you have a few more college courses under your belt (and life experiences) this will make more sense and you will be more open minded about it.

Either way, I do understand your point and appreciate your passionate support for Tomlin.

It's not like Tomlin hired Arians. He doesn't have that personal attachment where he has to admit failure and let him go.

It's his team from the point that he makes the coaching staff decisions. Like I posted in the other thread, Joe Philbin has complete control over the hiring. If he does, so should Tomlin.

O'Malley
01-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Steelers' NFL offensive rankings under Bruce Arians
YEAR=TOTAL YARDS=SCORING
2007=17th=tie 9th (24.6 ppg)
2008=22nd=20th (21.7 ppg)
2009=7th=12th (23.0 ppg)
2010=14th=12th (23.4 ppg)
2011=12th=21st (20.3 ppg)

Maybe better production then this!

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Steelers' NFL offensive rankings under Bruce Arians
YEAR=TOTAL YARDS=SCORING
2007=17th=tie 9th (24.6 ppg)
2008=22nd=20th (21.7 ppg)
2009=7th=12th (23.0 ppg)
2010=14th=12th (23.4 ppg)
2011=12th=21st (20.3 ppg)

Maybe better production then this!

Not all at the feet of Arians.

O'Malley
01-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Not all at the feet of Arians.

Who then he was the OC... Never averaged more then 24 points per game... Oh yeah must have been that darn Rooney and Tomlin, my bad...

GBMelBlount
01-21-2012, 06:48 PM
It's not like Tomlin hired Arians. He doesn't have that personal attachment where he has to admit failure and let him go.

It's his team from the point that he makes the coaching staff decisions. Like I posted in the other thread, Joe Philbin has complete control over the hiring. If he does, so should Tomlin.

So because Tomlin did not hire Arians you are saying for a fact that you know Tomlin has no personal attachment Arians. Wow. Who shared this FACT with you? Tomlin or Arians?

Ben did not hire Arians either, so by that logic it is impossible for there to be any personal attachment between Ben and Arians either, right?

Also, what in the world does what Joe Philbin does have anything to do with how the OWNERS of the Steelers manage THEIR team?

O'Malley
01-21-2012, 06:51 PM
So because Tomlin did not hire Arians you are saying for a fact that you know Tomlin has no personal attachment Arains. Wow. Who shared this FACT with you? Tomlin or Arians?

Ben did not hire Arians either, so by that logic how could there be any personal attachment between them either, right?

Also, what in the world does what Joe Philbin does have anything to do with how the OWNERS of the Steelers manage THEIR team?

Because the Dolphins are always contenders the Steelers should model their decisions after the Dolphins..:sarcasm:

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Who then he was the OC... Never averaged more then 24 points per game... Oh yeah must have been that darn Rooney and Tomlin, my bad...

Or the players on the field...

No one ever wants to get rid of Ben.

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 09:38 PM
So because Tomlin did not hire Arians you are saying for a fact that you know Tomlin has no personal attachment Arians. Wow. Who shared this FACT with you? Tomlin or Arians?

Ben did not hire Arians either, so by that logic it is impossible for there to be any personal attachment between Ben and Arians either, right?

I said he didn't have "that" personal attachment from the sense of a guy he hired. I'm sure there is an attachment, to say otherwise would be naive after they've worked together for as long as they have, but it doesn't seem to be blinding him. And again, by all accounts Tomlin is an extremely smart guy that has succeeded in basically every way fans hoped he would since he became the head coach in 2007.

I was using the Philbin example to prove an earlier point that other teams leave the coaching staff up to the head coach.

SteelerEmpire
01-21-2012, 09:58 PM
"The Offense to me seemed like it lacked a true identity"

Yep. That's were I was with the offense as well.

GBMelBlount
01-21-2012, 10:01 PM
I said he didn't have "that" personal attachment from the sense of a guy he hired. I'm sure there is an attachment, to say otherwise would be naive after they've worked together for as long as they have, but it doesn't seem to be blinding him. And again, by all accounts Tomlin is an extremely smart guy that has succeeded in basically every way fans hoped he would since he became the head coach in 2007.

I was using the Philbin example to prove an earlier point that other teams leave the coaching staff up to the head coach.

Gottya.

...and I don't doubt Tomlin's smarts and accomplishments.

I am just keeping an open mind, that's all.

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 10:12 PM
But yes, that's how I think it should be and is probably how it is modeled by most teams (and us, until this report). The head coach controls his assistants while the owner controls the head coach (hiring, firing, interview process obviously).

Steeldude
01-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Hope so, but that kinda remains to be seen, doesn't it?

then again did the steelers have a legit system? the passing game usually looked like school yard ball, IMO. the ball is hiked and then BR runs around waiting for WRs to get open 15+ yards down field.

fansince'76
01-21-2012, 11:19 PM
then again did the steelers have a legit system? the passing game usually looked like school yard ball, IMO. the ball is hiked and then BR runs around waiting for WRs to get open 15+ yards down field.

Well, you'll have to pardon me for thinking the article is being a bit presumptuous about the new OC and the "offensive revolution" he supposedly is going to bring to the team when there hasn't even been one named yet. If history is any guide, there will be just as many complaints about the new OC as the old one, if not more, in due time. And I'll also be willing to bet the author of the article will be among the first ones to be squawking as well.

Steeldude
01-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Well, you'll have to pardon me for thinking the article is being a bit presumptuous about the new OC and the "offensive revolution" he supposedly is going to bring to the team when there hasn't even been one named yet. If history is any guide, there will be just as many complaints about the new OC as the old one, if not more, in due time. And I'll also be willing to bet the author of the article will be among the first ones to be squawking as well.

if the OC struggles then why wouldn't there be complaints?

it goes both ways. you will have a group of people scrambling for excuses to protect the OC. or it's possible the fans who protected arians may dislike the new OC from the start. similar to how the kordell fans hated maddox.

whoever is named i hope they can get this offense firing. there is good talent available. it would be nice if the steelers could obtain a decent O-lineman in the draft or via free agency

O'Malley
01-22-2012, 12:24 AM
if the OC struggles then why wouldn't there be complaints?

it goes both ways. you will have a group of people scrambling for excuses to protect the OC. or it's possible the fans who protected arians may dislike the new OC from the start. similar to how the kordell fans hated maddox.

whoever is named i hope they can get this offense firing. there is good talent available. it would be nice if the steelers could obtain a decent O-lineman in the draft or via free agency

THere are quite a few good O-Line in the draft.. One can hope they pick some up!

86WARD
01-22-2012, 06:07 AM
There are quite a few that will be free agents as well. Starting with Carl Nicks!