PDA

View Full Version : Search begins for Arians' replacement

stillers4me
01-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Let the search for Ben Roethlisberger's next mentor begin.

Bruce Arians, 59, the Steelers' offensive coordinator the past five seasons, retired Friday, throwing uncertainty into an offensive unit that is considered to have underachieved much of this past season.

Despite having one of the top quarterbacks in the league and a young, up-and-coming receiving corps, the Steelers averaged fewer than three touchdowns per game this season and ranked among the league's bottom third in offensive output. Their struggles were magnified against top defenses and could not carry the team past the wild-card round of the playoffs.

"I'm grateful to Bruce for his contributions and wish him nothing but the best in retirement," said coach Mike Tomlin in a statement. "I appreciate his efforts over the past five years for helping to lead our offense."

In choosing a new coordinator, the Steelers are likely to consider how a new offensive architect will handle Roethlisberger. The quarterback often vocally praised and supported Arians, whom he considered a friend. Arians, it has been argued, became too close to Ben and relied too heavily on Roethlisberger's arm rather than build a reliable ground game -- something Steelers president Art Rooney II asked Tomlin to resurrect a few seasons ago..........

Read more: Search begins for Arians' replacement - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_777758.html#ixzz1k4NYtPum) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_777758.html#ixzz1k4NYtPum

Steeldude
01-21-2012, 12:08 AM
than build a reliable ground game -- something Steelers president Art Rooney II asked Tomlin to resurrect a few seasons ago

which could mean the steelers are looking for a more run-oriented OC or at least one that puts more emphasis in it

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 12:18 AM
which could mean the steelers are looking for a more run-oriented OC or at least one that puts more emphasis in it

Possible candidate for that. Greg Studrawa, OC and OL coach for LSU. Team always has a good rushing attack and this year was no exception. He was the OL coach at Arkansas St from 98-00 when Tomlin was there. Funny how it's all connected like that.

Bio: http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=28715&SPID=2164&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=750599&Q_SEASON=2011

Steeldude
01-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Possible candidate for that. Greg Studrawa, OC and OL coach for LSU. Team always has a good rushing attack and this year was no exception. He was the OL coach at Arkansas St from 98-00 when Tomlin was there. Funny how it's all connected like that.

Bio: http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=28715&SPID=2164&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=750599&Q_SEASON=2011

hmmm...how would that affect the O-line personnel?

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 12:42 AM
hmmm...how would that affect the O-line personnel?

I doubt it would change whatever plans Tomlin and Colbert have in store. It wouldn't be Studrawa's call for changes.

And again, I'm just throwing names out there that have some connection with Tomlin. This is the first run-minded, "old school" OC name that I've seen put out there. Just doing it to add to the conversation.

steelerdude15
01-21-2012, 01:05 AM
I just hope and want the Steelers to take their time with this decision. I hope that they make the best decision possible and don't hire the first person they see. I would like for them to just take it slow.

Steeldude
01-21-2012, 01:19 AM
i would think they would decide on an OC before the draft

BigNastyDefense
01-21-2012, 01:26 AM
I am emailing them my resume and a letter explaining my philosophy. So if all of a sudden nobody hears from me, I have a new really cool job in Pittsburgh, PA.

pepsyman1
01-21-2012, 06:13 AM
I am emailing them my resume and a letter explaining my philosophy. So if all of a sudden nobody hears from me, I have a new really cool job in Pittsburgh, PA.

bigNasty, all I ask is that you bring in a real fullback and get Ben used to taking what the offense gives him. MOVE the CHAINS! Lol

Texasteel
01-21-2012, 07:15 AM
bigNasty, all I ask is that you bring in a real fullback and get Ben used to taking what the offense gives him. MOVE the CHAINS! Lol

I thought Johnson did a real nice job at the fullback position.

ShutDown24
01-21-2012, 07:20 AM
I thought Johnson did a real nice job at the fullback position.

David Johnson is highly undervalued in this city city.

X-Terminator
01-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Just don't turn Ben into a turnstile. That's all I'm asking. You can hire a chimp to do that and pay him bananas.

ShutDown24
01-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Just don't turn Ben into a turnstile. That's all I'm asking. You can hire a chimp to do that and pay him bananas.

I'll be beyond frustrated if this happens. I'm terrified we are going to regress back to the stone age.

fansince'76
01-21-2012, 08:33 AM
I'll be beyond frustrated if this happens. I'm terrified we are going to regress back to the stone age.

If we do, I fail to see how a renewed emphasis on a grind-it-out running attack is going to significantly increase offensive scoring, which seems to be the biggest complaint of all. At the end of the day, a TD drive only nets you 7 points, regardless of whether the drive took 2 minutes or 10 minutes off the clock.

stillers4me
01-21-2012, 09:38 AM
If we do, I fail to see how a renewed emphasis on a grind-it-out running attack is going to significantly increase offensive scoring, which seems to be the biggest complaint of all. At the end of the day, a TD drive only nets you 7 points, regardless of whether the drive took 2 minutes or 10 minutes off the clock.

I agree. But the ability and the willingness to flip the switch and do that when necessary is what we lack now.

I want to see this happen plus have a solid Oline giving Ben the time to use his new, hot receivers effectively. The big splash plays are sitting right there, waiting to happen with these guys but seem to always fall short. And the red zone problem has me pulling my hair out.

I want it all. Other teams can do it. There's no reason we can't, too.