PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith signs with Steelers

polamalubeast
01-20-2012, 01:21 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/20/troy-smith-signs-with-steelers/

NJarhead
01-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Hmmmm. Well, I like the competition he might bring to camp. If he EARNS a spot, then good.

BigNastyDefense
01-20-2012, 01:37 PM
He's already better than any backup QB we have on the team.

NJarhead
01-20-2012, 01:45 PM

Not sure about that yet.

The Duke
01-20-2012, 01:45 PM

True

I was impressed by him in the last few game he played in 09 or 2010 with San Fran. At least he seems to try to read the coverage before running unlike Dixon.

But we can still do better....

Bluecoat96
01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Maybe he can give us some insider info from the Ravens. Just Kidding. :)

steelerdude15
01-20-2012, 01:49 PM
We'll see.

BigNastyDefense
01-20-2012, 01:54 PM
True

I was impressed by him in the last few game he played in 09 or 2010 with San Fran. At least he seems to try to read the coverage before running unlike Dixon.

But we can still do better....

I agree that we can do better, but who's really available?

Here are free agent QB's:

Drew Brees - He will be franchised by the Saints and he isn't a backup QB

Matt Flynn - He's likely going to be franchised by the Packers and then traded to the highest bidder, he's looked at as starter for a team that needs a QB like Kolb was all offseason.

Alex Smith - After the success he's had this season, he's going to be resigned by the 49ers most likely.

Jason Campbell - He's going to sign as a starter somewhere. He's also going to be too expensive as a backup. He's going to want to go somewhere he can at least compete for the starting job.

Josh Johnson - I haven't really seen much of him.. Troy Smith has more in game experience than he does.

Brian Hoyer - He's never seen the field in an NFL regular season game, he's a backup on the Patriots.

Kyle Orton - He may be better, but I think he wants to compete for a job somewhere.

Shaun Hill - Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Rex Grossman - I would break something if he was signed to be Ben's backup.

Chad Henne - He's damaged goods, and he sucks.

I wouldn't be against the Steelers drafting a QB to groom, but this QB wouldn't be drafted until at least the fourth round. And Smith would still be the better immediate backup QB, especially with the offensive line we have.

GodfatherofSoul
01-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Kyle Orton wouldn't be a bad backup. He can run the offense for a couple of games, you just don't want to build a team around him. I'd be worried about his ability to "stay up" in the backup role. Say what you want about Charlie, but he could ride the pine for 2 years and come in warm enough to run the offense.

7willBheaven
01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/11758-Offseason-pickups-begin

st33lersguy
01-20-2012, 02:25 PM
All this means is that Dixon might get cut, or Batch has secretly hinted at retirement

NJarhead
01-20-2012, 02:26 PM
I agree that we can do better, but who's really available?

Here are free agent QB's:

Drew Brees - He will be franchised by the Saints and he isn't a backup QB

Matt Flynn - He's likely going to be franchised by the Packers and then traded to the highest bidder, he's looked at as starter for a team that needs a QB like Kolb was all offseason.

Alex Smith - After the success he's had this season, he's going to be resigned by the 49ers most likely.

Jason Campbell - He's going to sign as a starter somewhere. He's also going to be too expensive as a backup. He's going to want to go somewhere he can at least compete for the starting job.

Josh Johnson - I haven't really seen much of him.. Troy Smith has more in game experience than he does.

Brian Hoyer - He's never seen the field in an NFL regular season game, he's a backup on the Patriots.

Kyle Orton - He may be better, but I think he wants to compete for a job somewhere.

Rex Grossman - I would break something if he was signed to be Ben's backup.

I wouldn't be against the Steelers drafting a QB to groom, but this QB wouldn't be drafted until at least the fourth round. And Smith would still be the better immediate backup QB, especially with the offensive line we have.

And you wouldn't be the only one. I assure you of that. lol

86WARD
01-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Why can't they just develop a young guy behind Ben? Why not?

The Duke
01-20-2012, 03:17 PM

I wouldn't mind Henne, IF Leftwich does not come back. Neither of them will want a #3 job

Miami seems to be the place QBs go to die since Marino left. It's not impossible Henne can get his career back on track

Why can't they just develop a young guy behind Ben? Why not?

They don't want to waste anything lower than a 5th round pick? Can't miss on the next tony hills you know

tube517
01-20-2012, 03:19 PM
I misread and thought Troy Edwards.

XxKnightxX
01-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Oh god, please not Interceptaurus Rex.

steelreserve
01-20-2012, 03:35 PM

No. I got to see the actual games where he played with SF. He's horrible, and has NO upside. None. Unless he shows up at training camp looking COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from anything I've ever seen out of him, I'd take any three of the guys we have.

Funny because you don't think we can get him, or funny because you don't like him? He's probably the best backup QB on that list who we could realistically afford.

Kyle Orton wouldn't be a bad backup. He can run the offense for a couple of games, you just don't want to build a team around him. I'd be worried about his ability to "stay up" in the backup role. Say what you want about Charlie, but he could ride the pine for 2 years and come in warm enough to run the offense.

You do know Orton made, like ... $9 million last year, right? He'll want starter money and a chance at a starting job, and someone will probably give it to him thanks to his pretty-good last couple games with KC. Maybe he won't make $9M again, but he'll be out of our price range, that's for sure.

SteelerFanInStl
01-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Funny because you don't think we can get him, or funny because you don't like him? He's probably the best backup QB on that list who we could realistically afford.

I agree with you. Shaun Hill has played some decent ball and wouldn't be a bad backup.

Iron Steeler
01-20-2012, 07:05 PM
We need to draft Ryan Wilson in the late rounds this year .

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-20-2012, 07:15 PM
I like it. Decent camp arm and backup potential. I am ready to see Charlie Batch retire and Dixon is moving on. Nice 5th round pick of a guy that could play WR, KR or Wildcat QB on draft day. Dixon was supposed to be the 2nd coming of Josh Cribbs or Kordell Stewart.

ShutDown24
01-21-2012, 07:15 AM
I would have rather seen us bring Shaun Hill in, but he should sign somewhere for more money than I would want to invest in a backup. That guy can play.

I don't really think Troy smith is a good fit on this team as an individual. Has a bit too big an ego for my liking. But he can play a little bit, I guess we will see how he performs this summer.

86WARD
01-21-2012, 09:04 AM
I like it. Decent camp arm and backup potential. I am ready to see Charlie Batch retire and Dixon is moving on. Nice 5th round pick of a guy that could play WR, KR or Wildcat QB on draft day. Dixon was supposed to be the 2nd coming of Josh Cribbs or Kordell Stewart.

If you are talking WR/KR/WildcatQB/Slash...Cribbs isn't anywhere near Kordell. That's like comparing Trent Dilfer to Peyton Manning...lol. I never got that impression that Dixon was supposed to be the next Kordell...other than both of them being black and eventually wearing the number 10.

ShutDown24
01-21-2012, 09:08 AM
If you are talking WR/KR/WildcatQB/Slash...Cribbs isn't anywhere near Kordell. That's like comparing Trent Dilfer to Peyton Manning...lol. I never got that impression that Dixon was supposed to be the next Kordell...other than both of them being black and eventually wearing the number 10.

Doesn't Cribbs wear 16?

Count Steeler
01-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Doesn't Cribbs wear 16?

He meant Stewart and Dixon.

ShutDown24
01-21-2012, 09:12 AM
He meant Stewart and Dixon.

Oh, thanks don't know how I missed that. Guess I skimmed over the post too fast :faint:

KeiselPower99
01-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Dixon is a ufa and neither side wants him to return. Smith is a camp body. Leftwich will return. I'd pike to see the team sign Pat Devlin.

Steeldude
01-21-2012, 06:22 PM
simply pathetic. why not bring in a QB? if BR gets injured he is going to have to play through it. why not get rid of the backups QBs altogether if this is the best they can do?

O'Malley
01-21-2012, 06:48 PM
simply pathetic. why not bring in a QB? if BR gets injured he is going to have to play through it. why not get rid of the backups QBs altogether if this is the best they can do?

I agree.. The only thing Smith is good for is a tackling dummy..

Psycho Ward 86
01-21-2012, 08:30 PM

What funny? He's arguably the best back up QB that's going to be available in free agency. I'll take him over all of those names except maybe Orton. Hill played pretty well in Detroit

GBMelBlount
01-21-2012, 09:29 PM

Batch has played well overall (including this year) but seems "frail."

As far as Dixon, always liked him but I don't remember him being anything more than a 6th round project with a torn acl.

Steeldude
01-21-2012, 11:29 PM
What funny? He's arguably the best back up QB that's going to be available in free agency. I'll take him over all of those names except maybe Orton. Hill played pretty well in Detroit

for a minute there i thought you were talking about shaun king...lol.

yeah, orton is the best pickup out of the list. hill is probably second, as you implied.

86WARD
01-22-2012, 06:15 AM
If Dixon or Batch are in this team next season, the whole personnel department should be fired!!

Steeldude
01-22-2012, 05:01 PM
i don't really mind batch, but he looks so fragile. i would hate to have the backup come in and then go out immediately.

send dixon packing. another wasted draft pick

JayC
01-22-2012, 05:30 PM
ugh, i'm sick of running qb's..cant we just get some tough nosed country boy out of college and train him up

katmandu
01-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Brian Hoyer - He's never seen the field in an NFL regular season game, he's a backup on the Patriots.Can you say Double agent ?

Steeldude
01-22-2012, 07:24 PM
ugh, i'm sick of running qb's..cant we just get some tough nosed country boy out of college and train him up

that's the second running QB the steelers have picked up this off-season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Batch has played well overall (including this year) but seems "frail."

As far as Dixon, always liked him but I don't remember him being anything more than a 6th round project with a torn acl. he was a heisman front runner until he tore the ACL. When picked in the 5th, several posters thought we should use him as a WR, KR or wildcat QB, when he never played WR or KR in college.

He is a qb, a decent one that may never get a shot and may not be capable of starting in the NFL.

lilyoder6
01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
the signing of smith makes me want to believe that two out of batch,lefty and dixon will not be back this season... and i could see batch becoming a qbs coach. esp if they promote the qb coach to the oc... dixon will stay if he accepts a somewhat of a low contract

suitanim
01-23-2012, 04:07 PM
he was a heisman front runner until he tore the ACL. When picked in the 5th, several posters thought we should use him as a WR, KR or wildcat QB, when he never played WR or KR in college.

He is a qb, a decent one that may never get a shot and may not be capable of starting in the NFL.

Yes, that was another mistake on our part. He's been pretty much one step up from Duce Staley since. Now we'll probably part ways without ever really ever getting anything out of him.

Why bring up the Heisman in THIS thread? Does it add cred? Because Troy Smith won the Heisman.

SteelGhost
01-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Bye bye Batch and Dixon.

oneforthetoe
01-24-2012, 12:26 AM
i don't really mind batch, but he looks so fragile. i would hate to have the backup come in and then go out immediately.

send dixon packing. another wasted draft pick

I tend to agree. And I have been known to post my share of fragile Charlie jokes. Still, it is worth noting, that even fragile Charlie has been more durable that Leftwich, and just about as durable as Dixon over the last two seasons.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2012, 01:12 AM
Yes, that was another mistake on our part. He's been pretty much one step up from Duce Staley since. Now we'll probably part ways without ever really ever getting anything out of him.

Why bring up the Heisman in THIS thread? Does it add cred? Because Troy Smith won the Heisman.
Read the thread instead of just jumping to criticize. the poster I responded to seemed to imply that Dixon was just another 6th round pick, when in fact he was a 5th rounder and at midseason of his Senior year, he was considered a legit Heisman contender, until his ACl injury.

He was drafted as a potential QB backup, just like other 5th rounders Brian St Pierre or Tee Martin. Cant really remember our situation then, other than needing O linemen and LB's, but Batch was never supplanted as the backup.

I am OK with Smith signing. He is really just a younger version of Chris Redman. Career backup that could play if needed, but not that well.