PDA

View Full Version : Next OC

polamalubeast
01-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Who will love you have as OC with the steelers?

Todd Haley?...Hue Jackson?...other?

vasteeler
01-20-2012, 10:55 AM
i would love to see us get mike martz

polamalubeast
From a raiders fan

Hue Jackson would be a great fit here, he likes QB with big arms who are quite mobile and prefers a pass heavy O.

polamalubeast

Greatest show on turf part II?!

steelerdiva
01-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Haley would be a good choice, but as a Memphis alum I would love to see Randy Fichtner get a shot.

SteelerEmpire
01-20-2012, 11:01 AM
If we get an OC from outside, what happens when Wilson get's healthy ?

fansince'76
01-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Would've loved Norv Turner, but he isn't available.

GodfatherofSoul
01-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Hopefully, it's a guy w/o an ego and willing to enforce a run-heavy offense and add some discipline to Ben's game.

polamalubeast
01-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Hopefully, it's a guy w/o an ego and willing to enforce a run-heavy offense and add some discipline to Ben's game.

I would rather to see the steelers be a pass-happy offense

the best players in the Steelers offense is the QB and WR.

tube517
01-20-2012, 11:24 AM
More speculation on how this all went down.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114466-ed-wilson-was-in-line-to-be-next-coordinator

86WARD
01-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Hopefully, it's a guy w/o an ego.
End there...

JayC
01-20-2012, 11:39 AM
IMHO the new oc NEEDS to be from the outside. Inside will just be more of the same or even worse.

SteelerEmpire
01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
I would rather to see the steelers be a pass-happy offense

the best players in the Steelers offense is the QB and WR.

Yep. We need an OC that will train Ben's style to fit that function. Ben threw a few too many pics this past season compared to the QB's of the more successful pass first offenses.

suitanim
01-20-2012, 11:59 AM
From my readings here, I'm quite sure it will be someone from this very message board, which is an obvious bastion of NFL offensive coordinators skill and knowledge.

7willBheaven
01-20-2012, 12:14 PM
If we get an OC from outside, what happens when Wilson get's healthy ?

He assumes his role as the RB coach I'm sure...unless he decides to step down.

tube517
01-20-2012, 12:16 PM
From my readings here, I'm quite sure it will be someone from this very message board, which is an obvious bastion of NFL offensive coordinators skill and knowledge.

:rofl2:

7willBheaven
01-20-2012, 12:17 PM
My wish is that it will be someone who can actually call a solid game (exploiting opponents weaknesses), game plan effectively, and make adjustments on the fly when needed. Yes it would be nice to have a decent run to pass ratio, but as long as they dont abandon one or the other then i'm fine. Shoot maybe the new guy might want to use an actual FB!!!

TXSteelerFan
01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Any offensive coordinator without the bubble screen in his play book... :high5:

XxKnightxX
01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Yep. We need an OC that will train Ben's style to fit that function. Ben threw a few too many pics this past season compared to the QB's of the more successful pass first offenses.

This guy tends to disagree with that statement lol
http://blog.wbt.com/.a/6a00e00987e45388330133f2df4b85970b-800wi

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Fichtner is the in-house choice. And we've stayed in-house the past two OCs, Whiz was the TEs coach and Arians the WRs coach. Maybe further back than that but my memory of Mularky is a bit murky.

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 12:37 PM
This guy tends to disagree with that statement lol
http://blog.wbt.com/.a/6a00e00987e45388330133f2df4b85970b-800wi

Favre the next OC? How about it. :chuckle:

fansince'76
01-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Fichtner is the in-house choice. And we've stayed in-house the past two OCs, Whiz was the TEs coach and Arians the WRs coach. Maybe further back than that but my memory of Mularky is a bit murky.

Mularkey was an in-house promotion too. He was the TEs coach previously as well.

XxKnightxX
01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Favre the next OC? How about it. :chuckle:

He will become the first OC/Backup QB in NFL history.

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 12:50 PM
I did some poking around yesterday just in case Arians would be gone.

One thing that really jumped out at me was the number of guys Tomlin has brought in new that he's had a prior relationship with. He worked with Garrett Giemont, Randy Fichtner, and Kriby Wilson all before they were with him on the Steelers. Giemont and Wilson were with him at Tampa Bay.

Having said that, here's my best guess.

John Shoop, the current North Carolina OC.

http://www.tarheelblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/shoop_john00.html

He was the quarterbacks coach for one year in Tampa when Tomlin was the DBs coach, back in 2004. That year, Brian Griese had the best season of his career, throwing for 20 TDs and leading the NFL with a 69.3% completion percentage (and a 7.8 YPA so it wasn't him being Captain Checkdown).

Shoop is only 42 but has a ton of experience. Was the OC for three years with the Bears and the final five games with Oakland in the 2006 season.

He has been the Tar Heels' OC since 2007 and really helped develop TJ Yates. Also been there to coach Hakeen Nicks and Greg Little. The numbers might not be mind-boggling, but then again, they're not running the spread like nearly every other team.

College teams have shown interest in promoting/hiring him. He was in the running for the head coaching gig at Richmond and reports were Boston College wanted him as their OC. Obviously, they have to be getting good reports on the job he is doing.

I think it's time for him to get back into the NFL.

-------

So that is my best guess. Other guy who caught my eye is Jimmy Robinson, the WRs coach in Dallas.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/team_biosCoachExec.cfm?newName=Jimmy_Robinson

Doesn't have any OC experience which is a pretty big knock for a guy coacihng 22 years, he's only been a WRs coach his entire life. But he's been apart of some great WR groups. Was in Indy from 94-97 and helped jumpstart Marvin Harrison's career (in the same way Arians doid to Manning). Was with the Giants for some of the best years Amani Toomer had. Was with the Saints in 2004 and 2005 before heading to Green Bay from 2006 to 2010 and had guys like Greg Jennings put up gaudy numbers while developing players like Jordy Nelson and James Jones. He was with Dallas for his first year last year and has continued the development of Dez Bryant while turning Laurent Robinson into a breakout player.

-----------

So my top four choices are:

1. Randy Fichtner
2. John Shoop
3. Hue Jackson
4. Jimmy Robinson

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Mularkey was an in-house promotion too. He was the TEs coach previously as well.

Ok, thanks. That's really the smart choice here.

Ben doesn't want to learn a whole new offense, and I don't want to stunt the growth of the young guys who are really starting to flourish. We need to become more of a details offense and do the little things right. Minicamps (where a lot of teaching takes place) and training camps are a great time for that. Let's not worry about getting the playbook down pat at the same time.

Nadroj 20
01-20-2012, 01:07 PM

One thing that really jumped out at me was the number of guys Tomlin has brought in new that he's had a prior relationship with. He worked with Garrett Giemont, Randy Fichtner, and Kriby Wilson all before they were with him on the Steelers. Giemont and Wilson were with him at Tampa Bay.

He was the quarterbacks coach for one year in Tampa when Tomlin was the DBs coach, back in 2004. That year, Brian Griese had the best season of his career, throwing for 20 TDs and leading the NFL with a 69.3% completion percentage (and a 7.8 YPA so it wasn't him being Captain Checkdown).

Shoop is only 42 but has a ton of experience. Was the OC for three years with the Bears and the final five games with Oakland in the 2006 season.

He has been the Tar Heels' OC since 2007 and really helped develop TJ Yates. Also been there to coach Hakeen Nicks and Greg Little. The numbers might not be mind-boggling, but then again, they're not running the spread like nearly every other team.

College teams have shown interest in promoting/hiring him. He was in the running for the head coaching gig at Richmond and reports were Boston College wanted him as their OC. Obviously, they have to be getting good reports on the job he is doing.

-------

So that is my best guess. Other guy who caught my eye is Jimmy Robinson, the WRs coach in Dallas.

Doesn't have any OC experience which is a pretty big knock for a guy coacihng 22 years, he's only been a WRs coach his entire life. But he's been apart of some great WR groups. Was in Indy from 94-97 and helped jumpstart Marvin Harrison's career (in the same way Arians doid to Manning). Was with the Giants for some of the best years Amani Toomer had. Was with the Saints in 2004 and 2005 before heading to Green Bay from 2006 to 2010 and had guys like Greg Jennings put up gaudy numbers while developing players like Jordy Nelson and James Jones. He was with Dallas for his first year last year and has continued the development of Dez Bryant while turning Laurent Robinson into a breakout player.

-----------

1. Randy Fichtner
2. John Shoop
3. Hue Jackson
4. Jimmy Robinson

Shoop seems very interesting.

Thanks for this post.

X-Terminator
01-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Like I said in the other thread, I'll be happy with the OC if he doesn't run an uber-conservative, 70% run offense and fixes the red zone issues. John Shoop does seem like an interesting choice, though.

tube517
01-20-2012, 01:45 PM
my memory of Mularky is a bit murky.

Say that 50 times.

I think the last hire outside of the organization for OC was Kevin Gilbride and Ray Sherman (yikes!) before him.

BigNastyDefense
01-20-2012, 01:46 PM
I hope the new OC will use a true FB. Redman is going to be our starting RB next season, and he's a pure power rusher. I think using a true FB would work great with the type of runner he is.

I wouldn't mind hiring from within so the offense wouldn't have to learn a whole new playbook. Also, an inside guy already has a relationship with Big Ben and the other offensive players. There isn't going to be some guy coming in and trying to change everything.

One think I liked when Arians took over as the OC was that he sat down with Ben and they went through the playbook together. They figured out what plays Ben liked, what plays worked best, and what plays didn't work well at all. Whoever comes in, I think it would be a good idea to get feedback from the franchise QB.

And no matter who comes in, the Steelers aren't going to be the run-run-pass offense that they were under Cowher. The league has become a passing league, and we have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. But I wouldn't mind seeing more of a 40/60 run/pass ratio because running the ball consistently will keep the defense honest.

The Duke
01-20-2012, 01:54 PM

1. Randy Fichtner
2. John Shoop
3. Hue Jackson
4. Jimmy Robinson

Nice research Chidi

Wouldn't surprise me now if they bring him either way, to replace Fichtner or Arians

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Martez retired.

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Like I said in the other thread, I'll be happy with the OC if he doesn't run an uber-conservative, 70% run offense and fixes the red zone issues. John Shoop does seem like an interesting choice, though.

Also forgot to mention he was born in Oakmont which to those who don't know the area, isn't that far from Pittsburgh.

steeldevil
01-20-2012, 02:15 PM

-------

-----------

1. Randy Fichtner
2. John Shoop
3. Hue Jackson
4. Jimmy Robinson

Nice research

But the thought of having a Carolina guy being boss to Scottie Montgomery, a Duke guy, is sickening to me. Even if it is football related and not basketball.

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm just happy someone on this board knows who Scottie Montgomery is. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
01-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Whoever it is, let's hope he can come up with a coherent offensive gameplan and has heard of the word adjustment

GBMelBlount
01-20-2012, 02:38 PM
What about Clements?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/01/looking-at-the-steelers-top-offensive-coordinator-candidates-to-replace-bruce-arians/

steeldevil
01-20-2012, 03:25 PM

I don't pay TOO much attention to Duke football, so I didn't know who he was when he was hired. Plus he played when I was like 10 and at that point I didn't care at all about Duke football. He was pretty good though.

XxKnightxX
01-20-2012, 03:30 PM
http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200307/scott04/320x240.jpg

Whoops wrong one hahaha.

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 03:46 PM
http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200307/scott04/320x240.jpg

Whoops wrong one hahaha.

Haha!

polamalubeast
01-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Steelers Should Be Serious About Packers Quarterbacks Coach Tom Clements for Their Offensive Coordinator Opening

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/1/20/2721679/steelers-offensive-coordinator-tom-clements-packers-quarterbacks-bruce-arians-retirement

GBMelBlount
01-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Steelers Should Be Serious About Packers Quarterbacks Coach Tom Clements for Their Offensive Coordinator Opening

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/1/20/2721679/steelers-offensive-coordinator-tom-clements-packers-quarterbacks-bruce-arians-retirement

ABSOLUTELY.

During Clements time as the quarterbacks coach with the Green Bay Packers, he has worked with starting quarterbacks: Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Flynn. In 2007, Favre statistically had one of his best seasons with the Green Bay Packers, taking them to the NFC Championship game. Clements is also credited for assisting in the development of one of the game's elite quarterbacks in Aaron Rodgers, as the only player in NFL history to throw for 4,000+ yards during his first two years as a starting quarterback in 2008 and 2009, and winning Super Bowl XLV and Super Bowl Most Valuable Player Award in Rodgers' third year as a starting quarterback in 2010.

In Week 17 of the 2011 season, after the Packers went 14-1, head coach Mike McCarthy chose to deactivate Rodgers to keep him healthy for the playoffs and start backup quarterback, Matt Flynn, on January 1, 2012 at Lambeau Field vs. the Detroit Lions, Flynn's second start in his career. Throughout the game, Clements worked with Flynn on the sidelines, showing him what to look for in the photos from the previous offensive series. Flynn had a record setting performance, throwing for 480 yards and 6 touchdowns, both single game records for the Green Bay Packers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clements

polamalubeast
01-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Looks like Philbin will be taking the Miami HC job, so kiss Clements goodbye.

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Looks like Philbin will be taking the Miami HC job, so kiss Clements goodbye.

And Oakland has had practically every Packers' assistant on their list since Reggie McKenzie became the GM.

SteelMayhem72
01-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Im telling you...Ive been saying this for a week or so on other sites and I think Todd Haley would be a perfect fit for us...I really do think that!! Plus he has pittsburgh connections!!!

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 05:50 PM
It's funny that Arians was blamed for passing too much and not running the ball enough/well enough, but all the suggestions for replacements have been people who will bring in offensive-minded, high-powered offenses.

polamalubeast
01-20-2012, 05:54 PM
It's funny that Arians was blamed for passing too much and not running the ball enough/well enough, but all the suggestions for replacements have been people who will bring in offensive-minded, high-powered offenses.

Haha!

I hope that the Steelers will be a pass happy team. The best offense in the NFL are a pass happy team(Packers,saints,patriots,lions and the giants right now)

GBMelBlount
01-20-2012, 05:54 PM

The larger concern (regardless of passing or running emphasis) was the 20.3 PPG with how loaded we are at the skill positions.

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Haha!

I hope that the Steelers will be a pass happy team. The best offense in the NFL are a pass happy team(Packers,saints,patriots,lions and the giants right now)

I mean seriously, look at the list compiled so far.

Philbin, Clements, Haley, Jackson (who did run quite a bit but used the Al Davis' vertical game when they threw it).

What run-minded, smashmouth OC has been suggested by those guys?

SteelMayhem72
01-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Its a passing league...Todd Haley was the OC with the Cardinals with Kurt Warner and went to the Super Bowl under Whisenhunt....I would definitely look at him!!

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Its a passing league...Todd Haley was the OC with the Cardinals with Kurt Warner and went to the Super Bowl under Whisenhunt....I would definitely look at him!!

Then why was he so heavily criticized for passing so much?

Count Steeler
01-20-2012, 06:03 PM
If that article is right, I hope Tomlin doesn't take this "retirement" as a personal slight. This may be a critical point in his career as the head coach of the Steelers. Hope he mays the right pick.

GodfatherofSoul
01-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Todd Haley got a bad rep here for being an a-hole to players. His departure was a big reason for the turnaround. He's another Belicheck clone who tries artificially to be hard-ass and it doesn't work for him.

SteelMayhem72
01-20-2012, 06:08 PM
We do need to pass more...IMHO! The pass needs to set up the run!

SteelMayhem72
01-20-2012, 06:09 PM
You cant go by him getting into it with Boldin...Boldin is an asshole and everybody knows it!!

86WARD
01-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Definitely a passing league...look how the times have changed.

fansince'76
01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Todd Haley got a bad rep here for being an a-hole to players. His departure was a big reason for the turnaround. He's another Belicheck clone who tries artificially to be hard-ass and it doesn't work for him.

Reason enough to not so much as touch him with a ten-foot pole...

SMR
01-20-2012, 06:52 PM
The larger concern (regardless of passing or running emphasis) was the 20.3 PPG with how loaded we are at the skill positions.

^ THIS!

The Duke
01-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Jim Caldwell is another guy that worked with Peyton for years. Plus he's from the DUngy tree like Tomlin

he might be a good choice if they do decide to look outside. But I still think they're set on Fichtner

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-20-2012, 07:25 PM
What about Clements?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/01/looking-at-the-steelers-top-offensive-coordinator-candidates-to-replace-bruce-arians/

I believe you are right. Clements is probably who they would like.

But I am still keeping my pitchfork and torch ready for when Arians un-retires, or Todd Haley comes to town.

Devilsdancefloor
01-20-2012, 08:32 PM
what about Brad Childress Tomlin and he has a relationship already from the viqueens

steel9guy
01-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Randy Fichtner- I think he'd work well since he's been in the system and knows Ben. I like out of house head coaching hirings like Cowher and Tomlin but for Ocoordinator I'd take the inhouse guy.

Steeldude
01-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Greatest show on turf part II?!

unfortunately, BR is no kurt warner. that's not a knock on BR, but i really don't think he has the same skill set as warner does when it comes to making quick reads. as warner does not have the same ability to prolong plays and make something happen.

Steeldude
01-20-2012, 11:25 PM
fichtner ran a spread option in memphis. i would prefer an OC who at least recognizes a running game is needed.

i wonder if haley and BR would argue? haley does have a temper.

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 11:27 PM
unfortunately, BR is no kurt warner. that's not a knock on BR, but i really don't think he has the same skill set as warner does when it comes to making quick reads. as warner does not have the same ability to prolong plays and make something happen.

I agree.

vader29
01-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Jim Caldwell is another guy that worked with Peyton for years. Plus he's from the DUngy tree like Tomlin

he might be a good choice if they do decide to look outside. But I still think they're set on Fichtner

Caldwell and Fichtner were the only two candidates mentioned on the KDKA Pittsburgh sports report tonight.

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 11:37 PM
John Shoop for President!

Steeldude
01-20-2012, 11:45 PM
well at least we have something to talk about before we all start pretending to be steelers' scouts for the upcoming 2012 NFL draft :grin:

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 11:46 PM
well at least we have something to talk about before we all start pretending to be steelers' scouts for the upcoming 2012 NFL draft :grin:

Guilty...

NCSteeler
01-21-2012, 12:05 AM

-------

-----------

1. Randy Fichtner
2. John Shoop
3. Hue Jackson
4. Jimmy Robinson

That's a pretty good list. I notice alot of NFL HCs tend to turn to previous contacts when they need to fill spots.

NCSteeler
01-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Then why was he so heavily criticized for passing so much?

I didn't see a lot of passing too much critics this season, most of the complaints as of late had to do with play calling and situation football. Sure many complained of throwing deep all the time, but would rather see some check downs. Many fans last season were in the "pass too much" camp as was ownership.

I don't understand the hype of Haley and why would anyone even suggest Martz, outside of a brief period in St. Louis his offense has proven a failure every where else.

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 12:22 AM
I didn't see a lot of passing too much critics this season, most of the complaints as of late had to do with play calling and situation football. Sure many complained of throwing deep all the time, but would rather see some check downs. Many fans last season were in the "pass too much" camp as was ownership.

I don't understand the hype of Haley and why would anyone even suggest Martz, outside of a brief period in St. Louis his offense has proven a failure every where else.

I like Martz's coaching influences (Coryell) but that offense is either going to have to have a great line for the 5 and 7 step drops or a QB with a lightining fast release as Martz did with Warner. We don't have either.

JayC
01-21-2012, 01:57 AM
my feeling is that this team needs some discomfort. or most importantly, ben needs it. i kind of like haley because of the idea that he is a hardass and not going to be your bro. although i have no clue how things went down each week preparing, i just felt like everyone was complacent on offense because "it's a family". seems like i'm in the minority but at the moment i'll take any of the good outsider candidates over fichtner

Texasteel
01-21-2012, 05:50 AM

Actually, the Steelers would have done pretty well reading this board at draft time.

pepsyman1
01-21-2012, 06:33 AM
I have no problem with the Steelers being more of a passing team OR a running team. What I'm more concerned with is that they can use both effectively. We did run better this year, but struggled anytime we had 3rd and short or had to run inside the 5 (a real fullback would be a help). We were so poor at adjusting to what opposing defenses are doing that we looked ineffective with both running AND passing when we were in tight games. I'm cool with any approach that puts 25 points a game or more on the board. (Christ, BRADSHAW did that for us way back in 79!)

ShutDown24
01-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Fichtner or Hue Jackson. I feel so bad for Kirby Wilson.

oneforthetoe
01-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Let's bring back the second most "popular" O'coordinator in Steelers' history.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos/2003-11-13-inside-sherman.jpg

Psycho Ward 86
01-21-2012, 08:40 PM
fichtner ran a spread option in memphis. i would prefer an OC who at least recognizes a running game is needed.

i wonder if haley and BR would argue? haley does have a temper.

Haley will argue with the world if he feels like it lol

Chidi29
01-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Clements likely to become the Packers' OC.

Chidi29
01-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Also add Bill Muir to my hypothetical list. Won't be the Chiefs' OC and he and Tomlin have a great relationship. Biggest issue is the fact he'll retire in a few years, if not sooner. So quick updated list.

1. Randy Fichtner
2. John Shoop
3. Sean Kugler
4. Bill Muir
5. Jim Caldwell

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2012, 12:09 AM
John Shoop for President!

Wasnt that the teacher in the movie "Summer School"??

86WARD
01-25-2012, 11:20 AM
I think it was. Shoop! Great movie...lol.

SteelGhost
01-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Caldwell sounds interesting.

tube517
01-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Wasnt that the teacher in the movie "Summer School"??

:chuckle: It was Freddy Shoop, John's brother.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-26-2012, 02:12 PM
:chuckle: It was Freddy Shoop, John's brother.
Great call. I remember him hitting on Kirsty Ally, but Courtney Thorne Smith was hitting on him. Chalk it up to "seemed like a good idea at the time" of a plot.

stillers4me
01-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora
Mike Tomlin has been making calls gathering info on Todd Haley. Could emerge as OC candidate with Steelers

Count Steeler
01-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Guess it is near impossible to do anything under the radar these days.

O'Malley
01-30-2012, 08:06 PM
What does everybosy think about Todd Haley? He likes to yell at players to motivate... Did it to Warner, TO etc.... As for an OC I don't think he a terrible fit, but wouldn't be my first choice..

st33lersguy
01-31-2012, 12:03 AM
What does everybosy think about Todd Haley? He likes to yell at players to motivate... Did it to Warner, TO etc.... As for an OC I don't think he a terrible fit, but wouldn't be my first choice..

There is a good option, did great work for Cardinals offense and got the most out of the talent.

NCSteeler
01-31-2012, 02:22 AM
I'd be interested in finding out how much of the cards o was him and how much whiz. One thing for me against the guy is the drama, everywhere he's been in a high position he has caused or had drama.

Chidi29
01-31-2012, 01:12 PM
New list of guys I want.

1. Randy Fichtner
2. John Shoop
3. Greg Studrawa

And a new entry, brought up by zulater when he takled about Favre in his other post. Tom Rossley, the QBs coach for Texas A&M and former Packers' OC. Turned around Favre to take less sacks without ruining his as a top QB. Old guy, 65, but a ton of experience at every level in a bunch of leagues. Been coaching since '72. And for what it's worth, he coached at graduated from Cincy back in the 60s, 70s, where Tomlin has coached before.

fansince'76
01-31-2012, 01:22 PM
What does everybosy think about Todd Haley?

I haven't forgotten his little whinefest during this past preseason.

LLT
01-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Oh boy....here is a couple of college candidates that I like.

Not sure if he has been mentioned but how about Baylor offensive coach Phillip Montgomery? And if Arkansas St wouldnt have grabbed him...I liked Auburn OC Gus Malzahn.

Chidi29
02-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Side note. Couple of commtents by Arians, about Arians from Indy.

“I don’t know in my 37 years of coaching, I ever walked into a building and felt more comfortable and more welcomed than when I did when I walked back into Indianapolis a couple of days ago. I was excited, but it made me more excited because I know the class of the organization that Mr. (Jim) Irsay runs. I’m just excited about being back and being a part of that Horseshoe. You just can’t put a value on the quality of the organization and being part of it.”

“Bruce and I go back a long way,” said Pagano. “When he was here before, I first met him through my brother, John. He’s great at what he does. He’s very talented. His track record speaks for itself, what he did with the Steelers and that offense, the creativity and ability to run the ball, and then the vertical passing game he employed off of that. I feel really fortunate that he was available and that we are bringing him back to Indy.”

“He has a great energy and a great sense of humor,” said Grigson. “At the same time, you can tell he’s very bright, but he doesn’t make that known. He doesn’t put that in your face. He doesn’t talk about himself, even though he’s had great success. He’s a regular guy in that respect. You can talk to him as a regular guy. He doesn’t come off like he is some great coach. He has confidence, but he doesn’t come off like he’s a guru of sorts, even though he really is.”

“It was by far the best three years [previous stint with Indy] I’ve had,” said Arians. “Learning with (Offensive Coordinator) Tom Moore and (Offensive Line Coach) Howard Mudd and just watching Peyton grow. I loved being allowed to coach. Tom let me coach, and I’m always indebted to him. We’ve (the family) lived in 10 or 11 different places, and we’ve always said Indianapolis was our favorite. We look forward to coming back and being a part of the community.”

fansince'76
02-01-2012, 02:29 PM
I don’t know in my 37 years of coaching, I ever walked into a building and felt more comfortable and more welcomed than when I did when I walked back into Indianapolis a couple of days ago.

That idiot's dissin' the 'Burgh! Man the pitchforks and torches!

:chuckle:

O'Malley
02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
I haven't forgotten his little whinefest during this past preseason.

That's the one thing about him that worries me.. He's a hot head, I don't think that would work on a veteran team like the Steelers.. Alhough he does have ties to the Steelers Organization through his dad.. I am still on the fence.

suitanim
02-02-2012, 05:15 AM
A note on the Arians comments: What is he supposed to say? "Indy sucks, it's worse than Cleveland I wish I wasn't here?"

Count Steeler
02-02-2012, 05:18 AM
A note on the Arians comments: What is he supposed to say? "Indy sucks, it's worse than Cleveland I wish I wasn't here?"

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad he is happy. He will have an interesting year grooming Luck.

zulater
02-02-2012, 05:54 AM
That's the one thing about him that worries me.. He's a hot head, I don't think that would work on a veteran team like the Steelers.. Alhough he does have ties to the Steelers Organization through his dad.. I am still on the fence.

Think of it this way. Prior to this Haley's career has always been on the ascent. So if for the sake or argument we agree that at times he's been somewhat of a petulant jerk, this is the first time he's had the rug pulled out from under him. So where would the learning lesson be previously? In other words, if we assume that his experience is such that he's qualified to be a NFL offensive coordinator. I would think that getting fired for the first time in his life ( I think) might give him the perspective that was previously lacking. This is obviously a guy's who's driven, and wants another crack at an NFL Head coaching job. He knows the perception of him is getting to be that of a guy who's been borderline over the edge. I would think he would make strides to correct that which would possibly derail his career objectives.

zulater
02-02-2012, 07:29 PM
If RB coach Kirby Wilson gets healthy soon, he'll likely end up as Steelers offensive coordinator. They seem to be waiting for him.

https://twitter.com/#!/ClaytonESPN

Count Steeler
02-02-2012, 09:25 PM
If RB coach Kirby Wilson gets healthy soon, he'll likely end up as Steelers offensive coordinator. They seem to be waiting for him.

https://twitter.com/#!/ClaytonESPN

That was the speculation early on. Will Wilson recover enough for the rigors of coaching? Unfortunate set of circumstances, but I think it would be a mistake to wait for Mr Wilson. Lot of work to do to get a new/revised offense in place before the next season.

Shoes
02-02-2012, 09:36 PM
That was the speculation early on. Will Wilson recover enough for the rigors of coaching? Unfortunate set of circumstances, but I think it would be a mistake to wait for Mr Wilson. Lot of work to do to get a new/revised offense in place before the next season.

I don't think they will wait Bro....Mr. Wilson has his health front and center......that's most important. I don't believe Mike T. or the Rooney's will put that burden on him.

Edman
02-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't believe the Steelers would pressure Wilson much on recovering before coming back to coach. If they are, than that's pretty stupid and ignorant. The guy needs to recover and get back to living before even thinking of coaching again.

If you're going with a new Offense, you better get it in place to work on it.

7willBheaven
02-03-2012, 03:35 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/report-todd-haley-frontrunner-for-steelers-offensive-coordinator-job/

Haley possibly the frontrunner?

zulater
02-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't believe the Steelers would pressure Wilson much on recovering before coming back to coach. If they are, than that's pretty stupid and ignorant. The guy needs to recover and get back to living before even thinking of coaching again.

If you're going with a new Offense, you better get it in place to work on it.

that was my thought too. I don't know why Clayton would run with that rumor?

86WARD
02-03-2012, 07:06 PM
No interest in Wilson as OC. None at all...

zulater
02-03-2012, 07:27 PM
No interest in Wilson as OC. None at all...

You or the steelers?

Bluecoat96
02-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I just saw on the ticker on NFLN that La Canfora is reporting Jim Zorn is set to coach the KC Chiefs quarterbacks, unless there's an offer from the Steelers to be the OC. Interesting.

polamalubeast
02-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Jim Zorn as OC????? NOOOOOOO please!

XxKnightxX
02-04-2012, 04:15 PM
I just saw on the ticker on NFLN that La Canfora is reporting Jim Zorn is set to coach the KC Chiefs quarterbacks, unless there's an offer from the Steelers to be the OC. Interesting.

Jim Zorn is a good QB coach, Im not sure if hes had any OC experience, but he was the guy who made Flaccid an up and coming player, he got scapegoated by the Ravens, and Flacco hasnt done jack shit since.

wyn50
02-06-2012, 03:26 AM
Mike Sullivan's name came up a few days ago. Now that the giants won the Super Bowl again with him helping Eli, I think that makes him more of an option.

Galax Steeler
02-06-2012, 03:32 AM
Mike Sullivan's name came up a few days ago. Now that the giants won the Super Bowl again with him helping Eli, I think that makes him more of an option.

Welcome to the board wyn50

I think it would be hard to get him from them but who knows stranger things have happened.