PDA

View Full Version : Arians?

mortgageman
01-18-2012, 08:14 PM
I just read on profootballtalk.com that he may not be back next year...

fansince'76
01-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Sounds more like speculation at this point: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/12018/1204433-100.stm#ixzz1jrhc8gXN

Chidi29
01-18-2012, 08:23 PM
The retirement speculation started last year and will continue until he does hang them up. So we'll just wait and see.

Remember, last year it was a slam dunk that he was getting fired...

fansince'76
01-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Remember, last year it was a slam dunk that he was getting fired...

And the year before that, and the year before that...

zulater
01-18-2012, 08:44 PM
I think chidi nailed it on another thread, and it's John Mitchell that will be retiring.

Chidi29
01-18-2012, 08:57 PM
James Daniel and maybe Al Everest are other names to keep in mind but I think Mitchell is the guy.

tube517
01-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Chuck Noll is retiring. All hail The Emperor.

stillers4me
01-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Stay... go... just make up your mind before all the good candidates have other jobs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Nothing is ever official until its tweeted by a reliable source.

st33lersguy
01-18-2012, 09:42 PM
I hope that moron retires. He may be the dumbest coach alive. I can only hope

ShutDown24
01-18-2012, 11:53 PM
As much as I hope Arians stays... If he is going to retire in the next couple of years anyway; it might be just better to go ahead and get started with whatever new system is going to be brought in here immediately. That said, I think I would still rather see a last hurrah with the current format.

NCSteeler
01-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Hasn't his contract expired?

ShutDown24
01-19-2012, 12:30 AM

Yes

Burghfan58
01-19-2012, 05:26 AM
I believe it's time for Mr. Arians to move on. I can't imagine with the talent this team has on offense that another OC can't get better production, especially in the red zone. :clap2:

suitanim
01-19-2012, 05:29 AM
As much as I hope Arians stays... If he is going to retire in the next couple of years anyway; it might be just better to go ahead and get started with whatever new system is going to be brought in here immediately. that said, I think I would still rather see a last hurrah with the current format.

I don't know...we should have 90% of our core back next year, and changing offenses will be a major set-back, no matter WHO comes in and what offense they install. It will be doubly worse if it's a major change, like switching to zone blocking or running the West Coast, where we will literally have to get different personnel to fit the system.

ShutDown24
01-19-2012, 05:35 AM
I don't know...we should have 90% of our core back next year, and changing offenses will be a major set-back, no matter WHO comes in and what offense they install. It will be doubly worse if it's a major change, like switching to zone blocking or running the West Coast, where we will literally have to get different personnel to fit the system.

Yeah I agree. That's why while a lot of fans seem to be ready to throw a party with Arians' departure, I'm a little less enthusiastic. I feel like our offense definitely needs some tweaking, particularly in the red zone - but it really doesn't need overhauled. I wish Arians had "disciples" such as you might consider Butler to be of LeBeau. I would much rather promote from inside the organization rather than go outside and find someone who is going to want to put their stamp on things. Is there anyone on the staff like this? No one comes to mind as a stand out candidate.

suitanim
01-19-2012, 05:41 AM
But I honestly think in their minds that taking a team that is "Super Bowl winning capable", and turning it into an 8-8 transitional team by making wholesale offensive system changes is preferable.

Texasteel
01-19-2012, 06:01 AM
If he retires we will replace him with one just as good or better. If he stay that fine with me as well, I for one think he has done a pretty good job. The one constant is the Steeler organization which is one of if not the best in the NFL.

fansince'76
01-19-2012, 06:08 AM
I would much rather promote from inside the organization rather than go outside and find someone who is going to want to put their stamp on things. Is there anyone on the staff like this? No one comes to mind as a stand out candidate.

Randy Fichtner, I believe, would more than likely be in line for the job.

NCSteeler
01-19-2012, 06:13 AM
But I honestly think in their minds that taking a team that is "Super Bowl winning capable", and turning it into an 8-8 transitional team by making wholesale offensive system changes is preferable.

So the year Arians took over we were a transitional 8-8 team? no, 10-6 playoffs Oh well maybe we were an 8-8 transitional team when Whiz took over? no 15-1 AFC Champ losers Then surely we were bad when Mularkey took over? 13-3 AFC Champ losers Damn, I'll keep digging and find this "major set back " you refer to 1996 Chan Gailey, 10-6 playoffs , oh oh I found it the one year wonder Ray Sherman(kordell couldn't do shit that year) 1998 7-9, and 1999-2000 the mistake that was Kevin Gilbride, who somehow figured it out in NY without Kordell.

Butch
01-19-2012, 06:16 AM

The 49ers have the same team they did last year...just a different coach. Seems to have worked out alright by them. Even if it isn't immediate I would welcome the change.

XxKnightxX
01-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Nothing is ever official until its tweeted by a reliable source.

I will keep a close eye on Rob Lowe's twitter feed.

Bluecoat96
01-19-2012, 07:45 AM

THIS!! He went from WR coach to QB coach....it would be probably the best choice.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2012, 09:22 AM

Thats what I was thinking too, if they stayed inside. He was the OC at Memphis and has had enough time as a Steelers coach to be comfortable with the current offense so that it may not be a complete change like some fear.

I will keep a close eye on Rob Lowe's twitter feed. (well played sir)
Please keep me in the loop, as we know that is the most credible source of news on the net. Emilio Estevez is a close 2nd I understand.

NJarhead
01-19-2012, 09:26 AM

Yes

I think the post-gazette said he had one more year left.

fansince'76
01-19-2012, 10:45 AM
THIS!! He went from WR coach to QB coach....it would be probably the best choice.

Hope he (or whoever gets the job if Arians doesn't come back) has a thick skin. They're gonna need it.

suitanim
01-19-2012, 11:02 AM
The 49ers have the same team they did last year...just a different coach. Seems to have worked out alright by them. Even if it isn't immediate I would welcome the change.

Actually, they had some player turnover. They got younger. But there is a LOT more here than meets the eye, and it's a good comparison.

A) Singletary was a defensive guy, and the 49ers D was improving all along. They made a couple smart acquisitions, as well as drafted well, and stockpiled a lot of talent. The 49ers success is MOSTLY defensive, and they were headed in the right direction already.
B) Harbaugh didn't have a complicated system, he basically installed a simple West Coast offense, and he had all the tools in place. Here is what Bill Walsh had to say about his FIRST West Coats offense: “We decided that our best chance to win football games was to somehow control the ball. As a result, we devised a ball-control passing game in hopes that if we could make 25 first downs in a given game and if we also had good special teams play, we would have a reasonable chance to stay competitive in the ball game, In the process, hopefully something good would happen”
C) Alex Smith had success this year because the 49ers have a solid power running game, and all they asked him to do was hit Vern Davis on 3 yard scrapes and Gore on 5 yard outs.
D) Not only did they have the best defense in the NFL, they also played really solid ST.
E) They were 6-10 last year. 8-8 the year before that. 7-9 the year before that. If the Steelers were 6-10 after two years hovering around .500, they would (and should) fire the whole staff.

But what you're really witnessing in San Fran is an anomaly, FAR from the norm.

zulater
01-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Hope he (or whoever gets the job if Arians doesn't come back) has a thick skin. They're gonna need it.

I think that's overstated. If we end up with a new OC, he'll need no thicker skin to coach in Pittsburgh than he would to hold that position anywhere else. And if the offense improves he'll be held as a hero.

I didn't post with you guys when Whisenhunt was the OC. but I posted on a Steeler message board that could be just as harsh as this one is. ( WH could attest to this) Whisenhunt was always respected where I posted. No one wanted him to leave, most hoped and expected he would succeed Cowher.

The same board never embraced Bruce. Whether you believe it's fair or not I think that was true of the majority of Steeler fans. Whiz was generally held in high regard. Arians was never really embraced by most Steeler fans I know after the playoff fiasco against the Jaguars in 2007.

I also think some of the same arguments I had with Kordell Stewart supporters hold true here. That is that Kordell supporters claimed that Steeler fans were unfair and fickle when it came to their quarterbacks, and that when Korky left we'd chase his successor out of town with the same vitriol and contempt that we held for Stewart, no matter how good he was. My thought always was give us a real quarterback, and we'll see.

Same applies here. Now don't get me wrong Bruce was much better at his job than Korkie ever thought of being. But I still think there were shortcomings to his game. I don't feel that we always maximized our offensive potential under BA. I think he can be improved upon.

With Whiz I always thought we maximized our offensive potential, or damn near it anyway.

So if and when Bruce leaves, if in my very subjective opinion the offense is playing to it's potential more often than not I'll probably have little negative to say about his successor. If in fact he does as good as job or better than Whisenhunt I'll probably have glowing things to say about him, and probably be praying that he doesn't get poached for a head coaching job like Whiz did.

ALLD
01-19-2012, 02:23 PM
The bottom line is the NFL's 12th ranked offense is not playing to its potential. With a better offense, whether it be skill positions or OL, we could have won a couple more games, had homefield advantage and changed what happened in the playoffs by not always leaving ti up to the defense to bail out a sluggish offense.

This year was a missed opportunity, but not the massive cheesehead choke.

Bradshaw called his own plays and he only won 4 Super Bowls.

fansince'76
01-19-2012, 02:25 PM
I think that's overstated. If we end up with a new OC, he'll need no thicker skin to coach in Pittsburgh than he would to hold that position anywhere else. And if the offense improves he'll be held as a hero.

I didn't post with you guys when Whisenhunt was the OC. but I posted on a Steeler message board that could be just as harsh as this one is. ( WH could attest to this) Whisenhunt was always respected where I posted. No one wanted him to leave, most hoped and expected he would succeed Cowher.

The same board never embraced Bruce. Whether you believe it's fair or not I think that was true of the majority of Steeler fans. Whiz was generally held in high regard. Arians was never really embraced by most Steeler fans I know after the playoff fiasco against the Jaguars in 2007.

I also think some of the same arguments I had with Kordell Stewart supporters hold true here. That is that Kordell supporters claimed that Steeler fans were unfair and fickle when it came to their quarterbacks, and that when Korky left we'd chase his successor out of town with the same vitriol and contempt that we held for Stewart, no matter how good he was. My thought always was give us a real quarterback, and we'll see.

Same applies here. Now don't get me wrong Bruce was much better at his job than Korkie ever thought of being. But I still think there were shortcomings to his game. I don't feel that we always maximized our offensive potential under BA. I think he can be improved upon.

With Whiz I always thought we maximized our offensive potential, or damn near it anyway.

So if and when Bruce leaves, if in my very subjective opinion the offense is playing to it's potential more often than not I'll probably have little negative to say about his successor. If in fact he does as good as job or better than Whisenhunt I'll probably have glowing things to say about him, and probably be praying that he doesn't get poached for a head coaching job like Whiz did.

I remember Whisenhunt catching plenty of flak (actually, it was more due to "Cowherball" than anything), but not near as much as Arians, it's true. And I remember Arians' promotion to OC being lambasted from day one by many because the "Browns fired him." There has been a LOT of animosity toward Arians from the get-go from many just for that reason alone.

Whatever happens, I just want the team to be better off for it.

fansince'76
01-19-2012, 02:27 PM
But what you're really witnessing in San Fran is an anomaly, FAR from the norm.

Yep. And I can very easily see them sliding right back to 8-8/9-7 next year, especially if Alex Smith is still the QB. Six of their wins this year were by a TD or less. When you have a shaky (at best) QB, those kinds of games can easily go the other way.

86WARD
01-19-2012, 02:28 PM

They'll be smart to find someone that fits the personnel. Thats what the interview provess is for. After that...it's not that big a deal other than the language. Most of the plays and assignments are the same, it's just the language that differs in most cases.

suitanim
01-19-2012, 03:21 PM
I think we need to clarify something. The Steelers will NEVER have a top-5 scoring offense. They just aren't built that way. They will still run the football. They will still run the football to salt the game away. They will NEVER run scores up. The haters will not acknowledge these facts, but, nevertheless, they are facts, and they will contribute (or detract, as the case may be) to the overall performance of the new OC.

O'Malley
01-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Yep. And I can very easily see them sliding right back to 8-8/9-7 next year, especially if Alex Smith is still the QB. Six of their wins this year were by a TD or less. When you have a shaky (at best) QB, those kinds of games can easily go the other way.

Unfortunatly that would still put them in the playoffs in their division...

lilyoder6
01-19-2012, 03:30 PM
i would be happy if bruce baby goes away.. i was nvr a fan of his signing in the beginning.. its just some of his calls were just plain out stupid.. not saying i could do any better.. but he def was calling plays at times that were predictable.. i say let ben have some control in th off when he feels something is working or need to switch to and what not

suitanim
01-19-2012, 03:45 PM
i would be happy if bruce baby goes away.. i was nvr a fan of his signing in the beginning.. its just some of his calls were just plain out stupid.. not saying i could do any better.. but he def was calling plays at times that were predictable.. i say let ben have some control in th off when he feels something is working or need to switch to and what not

Ahhhh...the old "Ben calls plays that work, and Bruce calls plays that don't" fallacy.

It's been a while.

Chidi29
01-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Ahhhh...the old "Ben calls plays that work, and Bruce calls plays that don't" fallacy.

It's been a while.

Not long enough for me.

suitanim
01-19-2012, 03:57 PM
You know, I'm not so sure we should even be having this conversation. I can't find any credible and verifiable source that he's even gone.

About the only thing I know for SURE about Arians is that he and his wife are guests of Ben for the Pro Bowl.

Chidi29
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM
You know, I'm not so sure we should even be having this conversation. I can't find any credible and verifiable source that he's even gone.

About the only thing I know for SURE about Arians is that he and his wife are guests of Ben for the Pro Bowl.

All I've heard is speculation but the media is acting like he's offically out the door. Everything from the team has basically said they expect him back. Of course, there's no guarantee but what has the media said to make us think otherwise. That some guy from a Miami newspaper asked if Arians had an agent?

Chidi29
01-19-2012, 04:58 PM

Just gong back and re-reading articles, the only thing that has been hinted by the team was,

However, team president Art Rooney II indicated on Tuesday that some members of the coaching staff were considering retirement.

Which is vague and as pointed out, could refer to a lot of different people on the coaching staff (Mitchell, Daniels, Everest).

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Just gong back and re-reading articles, the only thing that has been hinted by the team was,

However, team president Art Rooney II indicated on Tuesday that some members of the coaching staff were considering retirement.

Which is vague and as pointed out, could refer to a lot of different people on the coaching staff (Mitchell, Daniels, Everest).
He's probably pulling a Favre. Was gonna retire last year, but didnt. Now hinting at it to coaches and media, while not attending the Senior Bowl.

Next thing we see is Ben, Hines, Farrior and Suisham chartering a flight to talk him into coming back to Pittsburgh in dramatic fashion. Makes for a good story.

Chidi29
01-19-2012, 06:09 PM
He's probably pulling a Favre. Was gonna retire last year, but didnt. Now hinting at it to coaches and media, while not attending the Senior Bowl.

Next thing we see is Ben, Hines, Farrior and Suisham chartering a flight to talk him into coming back to Pittsburgh in dramatic fashion. Makes for a good story.

Arians isn't going to the Senior Bowl because he's going to the Pro Bowl. Ben is taking he and his wife in addition to taking Fichtner and his wife. I don't know Arians, obviously, but I'd like to believe he isn't as self-centered as Favre and wouldn't pull a charade like that.

fansince'76
01-19-2012, 08:48 PM
The plot thickens: Steelers President Art Rooney II Talks Bruce Arians In Exclusive Interview (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/01/19/steelers-president-art-rooney-ii-talks-bruce-arians-in-exclusive-interview/)

BigNastyDefense
01-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Here's how I look at it:

If Arians were to retire, I am fine with that. As long as the person who replaces him lets Ben have the freedom to audible and run a no huddle making some of his own calls. And as long as the person doesn't try to completely revamp the system or tells Ben his input isn't needed.

One reason he isn't liked is because he was a former Browns coordinator....you know, the one year they made the playoffs since they've come back and almost beat us in a Wild Card round game. So a lot of people haven't liked him from day one just because he was on Butch Davis' staff.

One thing I liked when Arians got the OC gig is the first thing he did was ask Ben for input. What he felt worked, what he felt didn't work, and what he wasn't comfortable in.

ShutDown24
01-19-2012, 11:30 PM

Ah, the Kevin Greene look-a-like. Haha. Possibly. I like that.

ShutDown24
01-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Did anyone notice this story?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/19/kirby-wilson-was-in-line-to-be-next-offensive-coordinator/

Psycho Ward 86
01-19-2012, 11:40 PM
I think we need to clarify something. The Steelers will NEVER have a top-5 scoring offense. They just aren't built that way. They will still run the football.

You know who else runs the ball? The Saints. A LOT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Arians isn't going to the Senior Bowl because he's going to the Pro Bowl. Ben is taking he and his wife in addition to taking Fichtner and his wife. I don't know Arians, obviously, but I'd like to believe he isn't as self-centered as Favre and wouldn't pull a charade like that.. Thanks for the facts. I already knew all that. Just trying to have a laugh at Favres expense, but guess this subject is far too serious to joke about.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-20-2012, 12:56 AM
The plot thickens: Steelers President Art Rooney II Talks Bruce Arians In Exclusive Interview (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/01/19/steelers-president-art-rooney-ii-talks-bruce-arians-in-exclusive-interview/) nice find. The drama continues. Arians will be back, I think the front office likes the attention this creates in the fan base.

pepsyman1
01-20-2012, 01:09 AM
I think we need to clarify something. The Steelers will NEVER have a top-5 scoring offense. They just aren't built that way. They will still run the football. They will still run the football to salt the game away. They will NEVER run scores up. The haters will not acknowledge these facts, but, nevertheless, they are facts, and they will contribute (or detract, as the case may be) to the overall performance of the new OC.

Currently we aren't "built" to salt the game away with the run. We have the personnel to score over 400 points a year with the receiver talent we have and we should make that a priority. It would take huge pressure off the Dwhich has carried this team most years except 2009. Cowher managed to get us in the top 5 once and in the top 10 five times total. We've been steadily moving the wrong way with scoring with Arians.

Chidi29
01-20-2012, 01:18 AM
. Thanks for the facts. I already knew all that. Just trying to have a laugh at Favres expense, but guess this subject is far too serious to joke about.

With the anti-Arians bunch, you can never be too careful. :chuckle:

suitanim
01-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Currently we aren't "built" to salt the game away with the run. We have the personnel to score over 400 points a year with the receiver talent we have and we should make that a priority. It would take huge pressure off the Dwhich has carried this team most years except 2009. Cowher managed to get us in the top 5 once and in the top 10 five times total. We've been steadily moving the wrong way with scoring with Arians.

Shore up the line with better run blockers, and this situation takes care of itself.

I can't wait for the torches and pitchforks crowd heads to aspolde when Arians returns.

No offense, but I'd actually kind of like to see some of you move along if he does come back. Pats whorewagon always has room, and you'll have a nice ready-made excuse.

BlastFurnace
01-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Shore up the line with better run blockers, and this situation takes care of itself.

I can't wait for the torches and pitchforks crowd heads to aspolde when Arians returns.

No offense, but I'd actually kind of like to see some of you move along if he does come back. Pats whorewagon always has room, and you'll have a nice ready-made excuse.

Your last statement is a little arrogant Suit. Whether you know it or not, this is a message board where people are going to debate and disagree. If all you want is to create a pro-Arians message board, you'll need to create your own board and filter membership.

I like reading both sides of issues...and I hope that the members who disagree with you stay here...whether Arians stays or goes.

GBMelBlount
01-20-2012, 06:29 AM

Low scoring offense, great dfense, win a LOT of close games.

Sounds like the Steelers...

Texasteel
01-20-2012, 06:29 AM
I really think that if BA comes back and the offense starts putting up more point that MOST of the people that have been calling for his head will be just as happy as the rest of us, ( maybe not all but most.) If he leaves and the new offense starts to put up more points under the new OC, us rah rah, flower huging hippie freak crowed will be just as happy. The main thing that most of us what is wins, and another trip to the SB. In the end it doesn't mean a damn who is right and who is wrong in this.

It may be all the drugs this hippie had been taking in the seventies, but in my mind it is the Steelers that count, and I am expecting another successful season next year, and even a better finish.

Having said that, I do believe that we need to strengthen the offensive line or no OC is going to give us the results that we want.

GBMelBlount
01-20-2012, 06:34 AM
suitanim

Until the O line problems are fixed it is very hard to tell how much of the problem is truly attributable to these other areas.

Bottom line is that we are 12th in total offense and 21st in scoring.

Any way you look at it that is a concern.

suitanim
01-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Your last statement is a little arrogant Suit. Whether you know it or not, this is a message board where people are going to debate and disagree. If all you want is to create a pro-Arians message board, you'll need to create your own board and filter membership.

I like reading both sides of issues...and I hope that the members who disagree with you stay here...whether Arians stays or goes.

Of course it arrogant! But it PALES in comparison to the ignorant and arrogant nonsense being bandied around by the haters. I'm so sick and tired of whiny spoiled fans narrowly focusing their wee bit of football "knowledge" at the very easiest target they can (barely) think to find, instead of applying some critical thought to the process and actually looking at the whole entire picture. If you want offense, go cheer for a classless team like the Pats that runs up scores and throws the ball 100 times a game. It's a simple answer for simple people who like simple things.

This isn't a matter of "agreeing or disagreeing" with me. This is informed versus uninformed. You can say the Earth is flat, and if that's your opinion, you are entitled to it, but it's wrong. To say that an NFL offensive coordinator who has won Super Bowls, and continues to be employed by the finest franchise in all of sports, and has a track record of other success, statistical and otherwise is somehow stupid, or lazy, or predictable is wrong.

It's wrong.

The man played QB in college. HE has THIRTY FOUR YEARS of coaching experience. I've seen some people bat around the idea that he sucked at Cleveland, but in his second season there they scored more points than they had in FIFTEEN YEARS. For Christs sake, he was Peyton Manning's QB coach for his first three years in the league! And you guys talk about the guy like he's some kind of retarded idiot.

It's sickening....

suitanim
01-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Let me put this another way before I lose my mind and get a vacation from this place.

I've been a Steelers fan since the mid-70's. I could be wrong (and I haven't looked), but I don't believe we've EVER been in the top 5 in scoring in the league. I don't even remember the Steelers loading up the scoreboard with points from game-to-game-to-game. I don't really give a shit about high-flying offenses, the run-n-shoot, Brady's whatever he runs, the Packs scoring machine, etc, etc...just not into that and I don't think it's Steelers football. But it IS more of a passing league than ever, and the Steelers have evolved and adapted as they should.

My beef here is this to me is a lot like people living in Ohio and PA constantly bitching about how cold it is in the winter. The Arians haters sound a lot like this to me:

"I hate it here. It's so cold. It's 5 degrees today. That's too cold. It should be 72 and sunny. But it's not. It should be though. I hate 5 degrees. I want it to be 72. Why can't it be warm? I hate it here. It's too cold"

And so on and so forth. Day after day. Year after year. Decade after decade. Why complain? YOU LIVE HERE! It's never going to consistently be 72 in the winter. It never was, it isn't now, and it never will be. It's cold here. That's just the way it is.

If you WANT 72 degrees, move to Florida or So Cal. Otherwise, why keep complaining about things that never were and never will be?

zulater
01-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Let me put this another way before I lose my mind and get a vacation from this place.

I've been a Steelers fan since the mid-70's. I could be wrong (and I haven't looked), but I don't believe we've EVER been in the top 5 in scoring in the league. I don't even remember the Steelers loading up the scoreboard with points from game-to-game-to-game. I don't really give a shit about high-flying offenses, the run-n-shoot, Brady's whatever he runs, the Packs scoring machine, etc, etc...just not into that and I don't think it's Steelers football. But it IS more of a passing league than ever, and the Steelers have evolved and adapted as they should.

My beef here is this to me is a lot like people living in Ohio and PA constantly bitching about how cold it is in the winter. The Arians haters sound a lot like this to me:

"I hate it here. It's so cold. It's 5 degrees today. That's too cold. It should be 72 and sunny. But it's not. It should be though. I hate 5 degrees. I want it to be 72. Why can't it be warm? I hate it here. It's too cold"

And so on and so forth. Day after day. Year after year. Decade after decade. Why complain? YOU LIVE HERE! It's never going to consistently be 72 in the winter. It never was, it isn't now, and it never will be. It's cold here. That's just the way it is.

If you WANT 72 degrees, move to Florida or So Cal. Otherwise, why keep complaining about things that never were and never will be?

Not to sidetrack from your point, but the Steelers were first in the NFL in points and yards in 1979.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/1979.htm

Oh yeah, one other thing there were "tops" in, was turnovers. :chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2012, 09:48 AM
and the Steelers were Top 5 in scoring 5 times between 72 - 78...funny...that included FOUR Super Bowl wins...

suitanim
01-20-2012, 09:55 AM
I was 10 when they won the last one. That was 30 some years ago. In 72 I was 3. If they were first in scoring, I doubt that was much on my mind.

My point still stands. Does anyone actually think we are ever going to be a top-5 scoring team again? I don't. I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. If we ARE to achieve that, I can tell you with 100% certainty it will not be because we start running the ball 15 more times a game.

zulater
01-20-2012, 10:02 AM
I was 10 when they won the last one. That was 30 some years ago. In 72 I was 3. If they were first in scoring, I doubt that was much on my mind.

My point still stands. Does anyone actually think we are ever going to be a top-5 scoring team again? I don't. I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. If we ARE to achieve that, I can tell you with 100% certainty it will not be because we start running the ball 15 more times a game.

I think we can be. Certainly top 10. We got a lot of tools in place to do the job. All we need is a little more health and consistency on the offensive line. And a little more focus on protecting the ball and reducing negative plays such as fumbles and pre and post snap penalties.

Easier said than done I realize. But as is the case almost every offseason I think next year is the year the offense truly steps up to elite status.

I suppose in that way I'm sort of like Linus waiting every Halloween for the Great Pumpkin to show up? :heh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Relax, put down the torches and pitchforks. Its really Everest or Mitchell that is retiring. Ben, Hines and Suisham will bring Arians back if he really decides to retire.

Its not official until Rob Lowe tweets it.

Count Steeler
01-20-2012, 07:32 PM

Don't care if we are top 5 or bottom 5. I want an offense that meets its potential and can put opponents away. I'm sick and tired of playing down to the level of our opponents. With the defenses we have been blessed with the past 3-4 years, Ben should not have been playing many 4th quarters, let alone have to pull out some wins in the 4th.

Arians was a decent OC, but we have yet to live up to the potential. Be it execution, dropped passes, missed hot reads, etc. It is time for transition.

AND TIME TO GET AN OLINE! With depth, because we are assured of 1-2 major injuries a year it seems.

Butch
01-20-2012, 08:23 PM
I would be happy to see our offense that could regularly change field position let alone score TD's. I would love to see Ben stop trying so many home run balls and throw a few over the middle and just keep the ball moving. Scoring will take care of itself just keep moving the ball, I don't care if it's by run or by pass as long as it's moving and you stick with what's working.