PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu rates the best safety.

zulater
07-07-2010, 07:15 PM
http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/22895536?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

Andy Benoit’s top five

5. Nick Collins, Packers

4. Brian Dawkins, Broncos

3. Darren Sharper, Saints

2. Ed Reed, Ravens

1. Troy Polamalu, Steelers

The safety position has become the lynchpin to so many of the complex defensive schemes we see in today’s NFL. Versatility is key. On that note, Polamalu is the most valuable defensive player in the NFL. He is a thumper against the run, he has fantastic range in coverage and, wherever he is on the field, he’s a first-class playmaker.

Polamalu’s presence is what enables Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau to be aggressive in his scheme. We saw last season that when Polamalu is out of the lineup, the Steelers D can be reactionary.

Reed makes the list on the assumption that his bum hip won’t be a major issue come September. He may be the best centerfielder in NFL history. Sharper is an interception machine and, more importantly, a leader. Without his stability in the New Orleans’ secondary last season, we’d have a different defending Super Bowl champ right now. Dawkins turns 35 this season but hasn’t lost a step. Amazing. Collins has become a regular at the Pro Bowl. His instincts have improved every year, plus, he’s not a bad tackler.

Josh Katzowitz’s top five

5. Bob Sanders, Colts

4. Bernard Pollard, Texans

3. Brian Dawkins, Broncos

2. Ed Reed, Ravens

1. Troy Polamalu, Steelers

Well, it’s hard to argue against Polamalu. He’s the safety who scares every QB in the league, and you could really see the impact on his team when he was injured last season. The frenetic, sideline-to-sideline impact Polamalu made simply wasn’t there.

As long as Ed Reed is healthy and returns to play – he recently said he’s about 35 percent healthy, which doesn’t sound promising – he’s No. 2. Not much to be said about Dawkins – one of the top safeties in NFL history. Pollard flies under the radar because he spent his first couple years in the league with Kansas City and he hasn’t been a Pro Bowler, but he’s amassed 289 tackles in the past three seasons to go with four interceptions and three fumble recoveries in just 13 games last year. Was it coincidence that, when Pollard signed with Houston, the Texans’ total defensive yards and defensive rushing yards decreased dramatically? I don’t think so.

Sanders hasn’t played much the past few years because of knee and arm injuries, but, at the age of 29, he’s still in his prime and still has the talent that led him to two Pro Bowls and the 2007 NFL’s defensive player of the year honor. Yes, he’s not healthy very much, but when he is, he’s one of the top guys in the league. I like Nick Collins as well and I think his stock is rising, but I just don’t think he’s a top-five guy yet.

Andy’s rebuttal

I like that you went with Pollard – that shows you’re paying attention. Few people even know about the fifth-year pro. The Texans put Pollard in attack mode last season – as opposed to react mode that Kansas City stuck him in – and he blossomed. Pollard is a formidable run-stopper and underrated playmaker. I want to see him perform at a high level for a 16-game span before giving him the nod, though.

Shortly after writing my list, Texans tight end Owen Daniels told me in a phone interview that Sanders is the best opponent he’s faced. That made me regret not including the former Defensive Player of the Year. Honestly, I love the guy. But the fact of the matter is, Sanders is made of glass and the Colts were 14-2 without him last season.

Someone else we both need to consider is Saints strong safety Roman Harper. He’s the X-factor in Gregg Williams’ aggressive blitz scheme.

Josh’s final word

Yeah, I had reservations about Sanders, because he’s played eight games the past two years, and how can you call a guy a top-five safety when he’s played so little?

You’re right about Harper. The guy can flat-out tackle, he’s a force when he crosses the line of scrimmage and gets into his opponent’s offensive backfield, and he’s coming off a heck of a year.

It’s funny, though. Three guys on my list (Polamalu, Reed and Sanders) are coming off major injuries. Two guys on your list are at least 34 (Sharper and Dawkins), Reed is 31 and Polamalu is 29. Which tells us what exactly? I don’t know. Maybe they just don’t make Hall of Fame safeties like they used to, or maybe the younger safeties are just extremely mediocre. Either way, enjoy the safeties on our list for as long as they’re playing. Some of them won’t be around much longer
Nothing we don't already know, but it's nice to see someone outside our fanbase acknowledge what should but isn't always obvious.

steelerdude15
07-07-2010, 11:55 PM
There's no doubt that Polamalu is the best safety in the league today. He makes a huge impact for us and any offense that plays against our defense. Without him, we struggle majority of the time and succeed with him. I'm glad he'll be back healthy this year and I'm pretty sure he's going to leave a few more bruises on some people if you know what I mean.

tony hipchest
07-08-2010, 12:49 AM
any safeties on the list have 2 rings (let alone one)?

troy does.

screw the rest.

SteelersinCA
07-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Sanders does, doesn't he?

SteelersinCA
07-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Sanders does doesn't he?

CantStop85
07-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Sanders does doesn't he?

Both Bob Sanders and Darren Sharper have one.

Galax Steeler
07-08-2010, 04:06 AM
I don't think anyone would argue Troy and Reed as being the two best in the league. Both defenses thrive off of these two guys in the lineup.

wootawnee
07-08-2010, 04:13 AM
Troy must be more careful in traffic and tackling the bigger dudes.......Troy only about 205.....Those tight ends almost 300............Much more meat and bone.......I see you get hurt alot tackling tightends hard down low........That down there on big dude is like concrete.......You found out.......Hard way a coulple of times..........With stingers to the shoulders............

SirHulka
07-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Without Sanders, the Colt D has been fairly resilient. Without Reed those guys aren't as good. Polamalu is the best, but he's been nicked up the last couple of years. I don't see Cinci repeating last year's success, and if Reed and Polamalu should miss significant parts of the season, the AFCN will be a dog-fight to the end. Without those two, the winner will probably be 9-7.

Indo
07-08-2010, 12:57 PM
any safeties on the list have 2 rings (let alone one)?

troy does.

screw the rest.

Heeeeeeee's Baaaaa-aaack!

(I agree---best Player in the league)

BlastFurnace
07-08-2010, 02:50 PM
If both players were 100% healthy and playing at the top of their games, I would still take Troy over Reed any day of the week. Troy is a better all-around player. I think both are great safeties, but Troy is better.

hotrodder07
07-08-2010, 03:57 PM
If both players were 100% healthy and playing at the top of their games, I would still take Troy over Reed any day of the week. Troy is a better all-around player. I think both are great safeties, but Troy is better.

Same. Both players are amazing, but Troy has a bigger overall impact. He's an amazing player, and I'm so glad he's a Steeler. Our defense just isn't the same without him.

solardave
07-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Troy is the best Safety on and off the field.:wink02:

Crow-Magnon
07-08-2010, 07:20 PM

Well, it looks like any worries for this year might be over. I have a feeling Reed is going to be on PUP at the beginning of the season, if not miss the season. Regardless, both are great safetys. I'll take Reed over Troy when it comes to plain ball hawking and making INT's. I'll take Troy for not only hitting receivers, making INT's, but also stopping the run at the LOS.

Both have been friggin' out-standing.

SteelGhost
07-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Troy is the best Safety on and off the field.:wink02:

^^ This :thumbsup: