PDA

View Full Version : Rooney II: 'I think there are a lot of pieces in place'

polamalubeast
01-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Art Rooney II likes the Steelers' blend of youth and experience, and the team president said he doesn't anticipate making sweeping changes after the team's 29-23 loss to Denver in the AFC playoffs.

"It's not a situation where we're looking to tear things apart and start over," Rooney said today in a wide-ranging interview. "I think there are a lot of pieces in place."

The biggest question facing the Steelers this offseason is keeping the core of their team together. The Steelers are around $25 million over the salary cap, which means the team has to make some tough decisions before March 13, the start of the new NFL year.

"There's no question salary cap's an issue," Rooney said. "It's probably as big an issue as we've had to face."

Read more: Rooney II: 'I think there are a lot of pieces in place' - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_777039.html#ixzz1jkkr8wDu

Edman
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
There's no need to tear the team apart and start from scratch. The Steelers are a good team.

But to get this team contending in an ever-tougher AFC North for years to come, there needs to be new blood. Even if it means saying goodbye to some popular veterans.

suitanim
01-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Hmmmmmm........ummmmmmmmmmmmm...............hmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............that's almost a word-for-word quote!

ALLD
01-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Oline, Dline, RB, K, and S.

Iron Steeler
01-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Farrior. Ward.mcfadden.gay. colon. Smith?

Might be farewells? Im not sure who is at end of the contract plz someone enlighten
Me

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-17-2012, 06:41 PM
A 12-4 team with a lot of the pieces in place.

In other news...."Unrest in the Middle East", "Cruise Ships dont Float on Their Side" and in weather...."periods of light during the day, followed by darkness at night".

suitanim
01-17-2012, 06:46 PM

In other news...."Unrest in the Middle East", "Cruise Ships dont Float on Their Side" and in weather...."periods of light during the day, followed by darkness at night".

Didn't you want to fire the OC and install anew offense?

Galax Steeler
01-17-2012, 07:05 PM

Might be farewells? Im not sure who is at end of the contract plz someone enlighten
Me

I think Mendy might be gone this year as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-17-2012, 07:09 PM

If the current O coordinator were to take a head coaching position or retire, I think there are a lot of pieces in place for this offense to be successful, become balanced and be more efficient in the red zone scoring more TD's than
FG's.

SteelGhost
01-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Me

Maybe William Gay remains in Black and Gold. Looks like the "Lake Effect" has worked well with him.

NCSteeler
01-18-2012, 12:53 AM

Is that really such a set back?

Psycho Ward 86
01-18-2012, 01:19 AM

lol, im loving the zingers people are pulling off of this. thanks for setting it up! :lol:

suitanim
01-18-2012, 05:34 AM
The problem here is that what Rooney is saying is NOT what the pitchforks and torches crowd is saying...there is a communication breakdown here.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-18-2012, 09:32 AM
The problem here is that what Rooney is saying is NOT what the pitchforks and torches crowd is saying...there is a communication breakdown here.

Are you reading his mind or do you have weekly meetings with Rooney which clarifies the communication?

I took it to mean that he has a lot of the pieces in place. (Franchise QB, Impact WR's, Young D Line, strength in secondary, pass rushers, talented RB's) .

Just thinking that if somebody lured Arians away for his offensive genius, somewhat like Mike Mularkey was by Buffalo, that the Steelers have a lot of the pieces in place that a new OC could be successful with. Kind of like how Ken Whisenhunt was.

GBMelBlount
01-18-2012, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the news flash "Ron"....:chuckle:

Only major issue is the offensive line and the lack of "hunger" imo.

We are just a few tweaks away from a great run in 2012...

suitanim
01-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Are you reading his mind or do you have weekly meetings with Rooney which clarifies the communication?

I took it to mean that he has a lot of the pieces in place. (Franchise QB, Impact WR's, Young D Line, strength in secondary, pass rushers, talented RB's) .

Just thinking that if somebody lured Arians away for his offensive genius, somewhat like Mike Mularkey was by Buffalo, that the Steelers have a lot of the pieces in place that a new OC could be successful with. Kind of like how Ken Whisenhunt was.

Are YOU reading his mind or do you have weekly meetings with Rooney which clarifies the communication? Or do you just intrinsically possess this sacred knowledge concerning what's best for the team (obviously you and others know more then the FO does) based on.....................................your vast high school coaching experience?

This all starts with the coaches. The FIRST things teams do when they retool is fire coaches. It's so painfully obvious that Rooney is talking first and foremost about coaching continuity here...in fact, he didn't even bother to mention it BECAUSE it is so obvious.

suitanim
01-18-2012, 10:35 AM
If the current O coordinator were to take a head coaching position or retire, I think there are a lot of pieces in place for this offense to be successful, become balanced and be more efficient in the red zone scoring more TD's than
FG's.

By inference, you are suggesting that you know more about the situation than the FO. You are DIRECTLY stating that the current decision makers are purposefully keeping an asset that you (and a few others) have decided is actually a liability. I find that laughable. The other excuse you could use (although I haven't seen it fobbed off on us yet) is this junk logic idea that we are keeping Arians because the Rooneys are cheap.

fansince'76
01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Please keep it civil, folks...

Iron Steeler
01-18-2012, 12:09 PM
I think Mendy might be gone this year as well.

One can only wish Galax one can only wish...

wouldnt we have to eat his contract tho???

X-Terminator
01-18-2012, 12:14 PM
One can only wish Galax one can only wish...

wouldnt we have to eat his contract tho???

1. He's probably going to miss part of next season
2. His contract is up at the end of next season

Therefore, he will be here next season, at least. After that, I doubt his contract is renewed, especially if Redman puts up good numbers in his absence.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the news flash "Ron"....:chuckle:

Only major issue is the offensive line and the lack of "hunger" imo.

We are just a few tweaks away from a great run in 2012...

I think the age and physical state of our defense is fragile. Hampton, Farrior, Harrison are getting old and broken down with no replacements on the roster. (please dont say McClendon, Sylvester or Worilds is on par with any of those guys)

We could add 2 great O linemen and again, running the football is not a priority, so it wont happen. Thinking that better pass protecting OG's will help in the pass game is wishful thinking. If we dont run, we have to pass protect better and when teams rush 5 or more, we need to not run longer downfield passing plays.

Aging defense, plus mediocre offense is a tough combination to see as an improvement. Hopefully we can find some real help in the draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Please keep it civil, folks...

I thought I was being civil '76. Asking questions and stating my opinion. Certainly not trying to put words in other posters mouths.

fansince'76
01-18-2012, 08:12 PM
I thought I was being civil '76. Asking questions and stating my opinion. Certainly not trying to put words in other posters mouths.

Just wanted to defuse things before they possibly got too heated.

steelerdude15
01-18-2012, 11:36 PM
There are a lot of pieces here and we need to continue building onto that. I still think drafting a guard in the first round will be extremely beneficial for this offense in a few different and important ways as in more holes being created for the running game, better pass protection for Ben, and better redzone offense. There's one person that comes to mind when I think of someone who can make a huge impact and that's David DeCastro.

NCSteeler
01-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Is that really such a set back?

Guess I gotta respond myself, 2007 the first year under a NEW OC is widely held by his supporters as Arians best season , so I guess a change of OCs isn't really a lost season as some make it sound.

steelerdude15
01-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Guess I gotta respond myself, 2007 the first year under a NEW OC is widely held by his supporters as Arians best season , so I guess a change of OCs isn't really a lost season as some make it sound.
I've honestly felt that he's gotten better every year at play calling.

ShutDown24
01-19-2012, 12:40 AM

I think his situational play calling has definitely steadily improve.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2012, 09:28 AM

Earlier in his tenure, the Steelers used to use Miller and an OG to pull on long traps to lead block and it was productive. The last few years I have not seen that same play or plays like it, but an increase in bubble screens or handoffs to WR's trying to get to the edge. I think that has been a regression.

This is the NFL. Everybody was on scholarship and has speed. Running laterally is not a great idea.